'Hawk Thoughts: Tight Ends

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
First, I would like to see Russell Wilson and Zach Miller develop a healthy and trustworthy relationship. Wilson is an elite scrambler, the Seahawks O-line is on track to put in its greatest season since 2007. Anthony McCoy is out, which leaves Miller as the only experienced TE on roster, almost literally (McGrath was activated for a couple of games last year).

Miller has the greatest opportunity to put in a productive season and emerge as that productively elite TE many envisioned when the Seahawks signed him to a lucrative contract.

Somewhere along the stat-lines of 50 catches, 600 yards, and 6 TDs, would be nice.

C’mon Miller we dare you to become the Seahawk’s greatest TE.

Secondly, I would like to continue to see Sean McGrath beef up some more while maintaining his speed. This off-season I’ve read that he has gained 10 pounds, from 247 to 257. If he is able to reach that 265 platform, I think he’ll be a sneaky awesome TE like McCoy was at times last year. Many will think, “Look at that dude, he’s just a blocker, watch the run”, “Yeah, he’s listed as a backup snapper, he ain’t a thang”, Then McGrath will run a fluid smooth route, embarrassing whatever LBer is on him, use his soft, reliable hands to make a catch, and barrel down the field for more yardage. White McCoy.

Thirdly, I would like to see Luke Willson, slim down to about 245 getting his speed factor to max out while adding plenty of strength in the process. Then the Seahawks can use him in a variety of ways as a move TE, even on the perimeter as 6th WR: 6’5, 245 with possible 4.45-4.50 speed. (Goodbye Stephen Williams).

Coupled with Willson getting possible WR reps, I would like to see the Seahawks beef up WR Chris Harper to 240 without him losing much speed. I'm dreaming about a 6’1, 240 pound WR with 4.45-4.5 speed. Then I would like Harp to learn to play a variety roles: 5 WR, 4TE, 3FB + ST ace. Be a more versatile Delanie Walker.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
If I were you, i would change that title because Kearly may pursue legal action for using his trademarked "random thoughts".

But in all seriousness, good stuff.

kearly

Reaction score
Nah. Even I kind of hate using "random thoughts," but I'm too much of a hack to think of anything less blase that still rolls off the tongue. :)

As far as the OP, I'll be happy if Miller can just play all season as if the foot injury from the Falcons' game never happened. If he does that, he'll have a nice season.

Also, I kind of hope they keep Willson where he's at size wise. Big WRs who run 4.50 forty times are a dime a dozen, 251 pound TEs that run a 4.51 are not. That plus we really need all the help we can get at TE, at WR we are overstocked.

Fox0r

Reaction score
KitsapHawk":24i40ci9 said:
If I were you, i would change that title because Kearly may pursue legal action for using his trademarked "random thoughts".

But in all seriousness, good stuff.

:sarcasm_off:

CANHawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus, congratulations on making a post that was actually short enough to read all in one sitting!

And FWIW, I think Miller probably already is the Hawks greatest TE of all time... which isn't really saying much because the bar was set at Itula Mili or Pete Metzalaars.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
CANHawk":2dghxlju said:
rjdriver":2dghxlju said:
Aaron Hernandez is available.

Nope. He's going to be under a 40 year contract with the San Quentin Soap Droppers by the sound of it...
Let me guess. He will be their featured tight end right?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
PH, I finally get you. You are a fiddler. You just like messing with stuff. That is the only way I can explain why to want our tight end to lose weight so he can play receiver, and you want a receiver to gain weight so he can play some tight end.

Which don't make no sense.

A

Anonymous

Scottemojo":2y87k5ig said:
PH, I finally get you. You are a fiddler. You just like messing with stuff. That is the only way I can explain why to want our tight end to lose weight so he can play receiver, and you want a receiver to gain weight so he can play some tight end.

Which don't make no sense.

We call them "knob turners" where I come from. Always looking for ways to make good things better.

Nothing wrong with that, except when they start messing with stuff other people already have squared away.

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3tayiy04 said:
CANHawk":3tayiy04 said:
rjdriver":3tayiy04 said:
Aaron Hernandez is available.

Nope. He's going to be under a 40 year contract with the San Quentin Soap Droppers by the sound of it...
Let me guess. He will be their featured tight end right?

They'll turn him into a wide receiver.

bobk3333

Reaction score
CANHawk":ltrdeq4r said:
And FWIW, I think Miller probably already is the Hawks greatest TE of all time... which isn't really saying much because the bar was set at Itula Mili or Pete Metzalaars.

How could you possibly leave Charle Young out of that discussion?

If you look at Young's entire career, he would be the greatest TE whoever played for the Seahawks, although Zach Miller still has a chance of surpassing him, Young, however, only played three seasons for the Seahawks at the end of his career. His three season average is better than Zach Miller's two season average, so although Miller will surely be the better Seahawk TE by the end of his career, he hasn't surpassed Young yet. I suppose we can also claim that Miller right now, in spite of his two year stats with the Hawks, is better than an aging Charle Young was, which I think is true.

Jville

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1s432evn said:
Thirdly, I would like to see Luke Willson, slim down to about 245 getting his speed factor to max out while adding plenty of strength in the process. Then the Seahawks can use him in a variety of ways as a move TE, even on the perimeter as 6th WR: 6’5, 245 with possible 4.45-4.50 speed. (Goodbye Stephen Williams).

Coupled with Willson getting possible WR reps, I would like to see the Seahawks beef up WR Chris Harper to 240 without him losing much speed. I'm dreaming about a 6’1, 240 pound WR with 4.45-4.5 speed. Then I would like Harp to learn to play a variety roles: 5 WR, 4TE, 3FB + ST ace. Be a more versatile Delanie Walker.

Sounds like your describing 6'-4" 235 lb. conversion project Victor Marshall who
ran a 4.52-second 40-yard dash during the regional combine at VMAC.

Credit >>> http://www.seahawks.com/assets/images/i ... ll-600.jpg
130515-marshall-600.jpg

chris98251

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the Seahawks were thinking about Tight Ends like these.

Rls put their butts on display on instagram 640 41

kearly

Reaction score
I bet they couldn't crack a 6.0 forty with hips that wide. Oh wait. Draft season's over.

Largent80

Reaction score
We are in TE hell on paper.

Fortunately P & J don't use paper and we will be o.k. at T.E. this year.

Somehow I trust them. :roll:

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Largent80":185pu9w8 said:
We are in TE hell on paper.

Fortunately P & J don't use paper and we will be o.k. at T.E. this year.

Somehow I trust them. :roll:

Only if you don't believe McGrath can't be a replaceable option for McCoy. Its not like McCoy was absolutely tearing up in the past few seasons either, he was a young, improving player getting snaps.

McGrath is a young, improving player that will be getting an opportunity. We saw plenty of players drafted or undrafted make a considerable difference when given an opportunity. Also, frankly I think McGrath will be better than McCoy. Just something about those hands.

Luke Willson likely will be a better replacement than Evan Moore. It isn't often you get a TE with his capabilities. 4.5 speed at 250 pounds with his explosion and tested strength is a dangerous combination.