The Perfect Formation (Hawks Nickel D)

smashmouth59

Reaction score
I just read and thoroughly enjoyed this article on our Nickel Defense against the Patriots. It goes into detail about the options an offense has when facing our Nickel, run right, run left, throw deep, shallow, right left and counters each option.

It also talks about our Nickelback upgrade, Winfield, and how tough we will be to convert 3rd downs on. Check it out. It made for a great 15 minute release from the offseason doldrums.

Come on September!

http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/27/my-p ... -seahawks/

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Browner
Winfield
...............................Thomas
Irvin ..........Wright
Clemons
Bennett.......Wagner
Avril.....................Chancellor
Sherman

"CHAMPIONSHIIIP!"

Johnny

Reaction score
Screen-shot-2013-06-27-at-16.46.17.jpg

That is a crazy formation... especially on a 2nd & 8 to go.. It just shows how much the coaching staff trusts Earl in the back end of our defense, Earl is basically defending the entire back end by himself. Just Crazy!

formido

Reaction score
Johnny":1dnrirmf said:
Screen-shot-2013-06-27-at-16.46.17.jpg

That is a crazy formation... especially on a 2nd & 8 to go.. It just shows how much the coaching staff trusts Earl in the back end of our defense, Earl is basically defending the entire back end by himself. Just Crazy!

Browner and Sherman have responsibility all the way back through the endzone on their thirds of the field. Usually on Cover 3 you'll have your corners dropping back, but in addition to trusting ET, the staff trusts Sherman and Browner to aggressively press, even though there's only a single high safety. ET is in good position to make up for a mistake, but in general our CBs are supposed to stay on top at all costs. Back coverage is a shared responsibility. When Sherman got beat at Atlanta Kam was in the ET role, and while White was crossing over into Kam's third, they both deserve a portion of blame. Zones are rough guidelines; you have to do what it takes to neutralize passing threats depending on where your guys ended up. It's a collaboration.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1w87vy44 said:
I may just have to reach big time in fantasy football and draft them in the 6th rd

I was just thinking the same thing! LOL! This is the first time in many years that I've really wanted one particular team D.

Cool read and breakdown.

jman316

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1mecu5n0 said:
EastCoastHawksFan":1mecu5n0 said:
I may just have to reach big time in fantasy football and draft them in the 6th rd

I was just thinking the same thing! LOL! This is the first time in many years that I've really wanted one particular team D.

Too bad, they're one of my keepers!

:thirishdrinkers:

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
jman316":1fgah3z0 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1fgah3z0 said:
EastCoastHawksFan":1fgah3z0 said:

Too bad, they're one of my keepers!

:thirishdrinkers:

Drat! Foiled again! :229031_banghead:

This D gonna be SICK!

samwize77

Reaction score
Nice Post...Great Link! Waiting for Sept. tic tic tic.........

Hawks46

Reaction score
This was a good read, except he had the personnel wrong.

He keeps claiming Jason Jones was in there, but I keep seeing #99, Alan Branch in there. We had 3 of our horses on the line; Brady should've found a way to take advantage of Trufant on Welker, but I think the Pats got a bit arrogant and thought they could run at Clemons and Trufant. Clem is light in the pants to be on the line, while Trufant at his peak was a decent run defender, but he was old last year and not playing all that physical. Kam was also up on the line, and he's one of the better run defending safeties in the league. We didn't have good pash rush on this play, it was actually better run defense, and the Pats ran right into it.

PSR also gave Trufant a lot more credit than I did last year. I honestly don't think he was one of the best Nickle CB's in the game last year. Maybe he's seeing a lot that I don't (which is probable). It's also possible that with the uniqueness of our defense, and the mismatches it creates, it confuses teams as to what our strengths and weaknesses are.