Hmmm...close call with Harvin (DUI)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Hmmm...close call with Harvin (DUI)
Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    TheWebHead wrote:Looks like a lot of people saw this going down, considering it's mid-day along the freeway... Some tweets at https://twitter.com/gabrielmsmith (the guy he got the info from had a locked account w/ a SF Giants avatar!) well before it was reported by Danny. Gotta wonder if DWB was going on. If it was suspected of smoking pot because of red eyes, I have chronic dry eyes and give a similar appearance so I sympathize.

I have red dry eyes when I'm high. Or when I swim. I drive after swimming sometimes. Not all the time.

I can't believe you would do something so dangerous.....I mean c'mon, smoking while you are swimming can be extremely dangerous.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 pm
  • Well at least he didn't get charged.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:49 pm
  • its supposed to be legal to drive under .08. It isnt a zero tolerance policy. At least not legally. no idea on team or league rules. i doubt it though. ive been hassled after admitting to a couple beers, and then "not doing too well" on a field sobriety. then blowing .02. also, ive had an ex be detained after blowing a .06something. they took her to the station to blow on the big machine since PBTs arent usually submissable in court, as they are subject to bad readings.
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:52 pm
  • Interesting that Danny or someone at 710 deleted the story, there could be some journalism ethics on reporting on when people are brought in but not charged for a crime, especially when the radio station is the home of the Seahawks
    TheWebHead
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:58 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Cartire wrote:Speaking of Flying Greg, were moving back to Oak Harbor in November. VAQ 142.

Off-topic, but Im excited. China Lake blows.

Cool beans. I'm at 129.

VAQ-129 was my first Command back in 1977. That's what brought me out west and it was the same year I met and fell in love with my Seahawks. Been a fan ever since.
    Bremwahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:42 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    formido wrote:
    Cartire wrote:Speaking of Flying Greg, were moving back to Oak Harbor in November. VAQ 142.

Boy does it ever. I went to high school in Ridgecrest.

A Burrohs lad? You poor soul.

Had a buddy that lived there for years. Went and visited him once. Once.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:02 am
  • muxpux wrote:....... ive been hassled after admitting to a couple beers, and then "not doing too well" on a field sobriety. then blowing .02.......

Had the EXACT same thing happen to me with the EXACT same .02 blown at the end. Prick kept telling me all of it was "voluntary" but if I declined his invitation to do the dance and then the second one to blow, he'd have my motorcycle towed (like a $300 fee to get it out, right?) and haul me in to use the machine at the station. Not exactly "voluntary" eh?

I told a'hole when he pulled me over (a very brief speed up to about 15 over the limit and then right back down to the limit.....didn't know he was behind me as he was unmarked) that I had ONE beer which was true. (I NEVER have more than one cuz I like the stronger IPAs and I am not interested in any DUI action or hurting anyone, etc.) Anyway, about 2/3 of the way through the dance routine (which I'm having a bit of a hard time with cuz I'm doing it in freaking motorcycle boots), I start thinking to myself "wait a minute, I truly had one beer and there's no way I fail a breathalyzer". So I start getting kinda pissed and start to mess with the guy, you know asking about 10 questions, etc.

So then he breaks out the portable breathalyzer, tells me it's also voluntary so I say "oh OK, no thanks then I'll just go now" knowing full well that ain't gonna happen. He gives me the "I'll have to tow you're bike" spiel again, so I ask him how I did on the dance routine he says "marginal". So I say "but I passed, right?" and he says "barely". So I say again, "we'll I'm gonna go home then". Again he says he'll have my bike towed and haul me down to the station as my only option outside of blowing into his field breathalyzer. So I finally agree to do it knowing full well I'm gonna pass with flying colors but about halfway through my blow I stop to ask him some inane question I've long forgotten and at that point he's starting to turn red from being so pissed that I'm screwing with him but doing so in a completely polite fashion by asking a lot of questions, etc. Finally I blow all the way through. He looks at and just says "you can go" but by now I'm having so much fun I real sweetly ask, "well, what were the results sir?" and mumbles ".02" and just gets in his car and leaves. And I still love telling the story 4 years later too.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:06 am
  • muxpux wrote:its supposed to be legal to drive under .08. It isnt a zero tolerance policy. At least not legally. no idea on team or league rules. i doubt it though. ive been hassled after admitting to a couple beers, and then "not doing too well" on a field sobriety. then blowing .02. also, ive had an ex be detained after blowing a .06something. they took her to the station to blow on the big machine since PBTs arent usually submissable in court, as they are subject to bad readings.

Actually, if you are driving erratically, or swerving or whatever, a cop can still cite you with a DUI even if between a .01-.08

Courts can later rule against it if they want.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:22 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    muxpux wrote:its supposed to be legal to drive under .08. It isnt a zero tolerance policy. At least not legally. no idea on team or league rules. i doubt it though. ive been hassled after admitting to a couple beers, and then "not doing too well" on a field sobriety. then blowing .02. also, ive had an ex be detained after blowing a .06something. they took her to the station to blow on the big machine since PBTs arent usually submissable in court, as they are subject to bad readings.

Actually, if you are driving erratically, or swerving or whatever, a cop can still cite you with a DUI even if between a .01-.08

This... It's .08 OR at the officers discretion.
    Harbaugh is a lunatic and he'll either die on the sideline while trying to challenge the coin toss, or get into a filthy divorce from the 49ers that will end up with him getting $27 million a year from Michigan to fist fight the entire state of Ohio.

-- Some Random 49er Fan
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:49 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    muxpux wrote:its supposed to be legal to drive under .08. It isnt a zero tolerance policy. At least not legally. no idea on team or league rules. i doubt it though. ive been hassled after admitting to a couple beers, and then "not doing too well" on a field sobriety. then blowing .02. also, ive had an ex be detained after blowing a .06something. they took her to the station to blow on the big machine since PBTs arent usually submissable in court, as they are subject to bad readings.

Wouldn't the charge be reckless driving in a case of .01-.04 I watch a lot of Cops and Law and Order. I'm pretty sure.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:54 am
  • This was years ago (I'm pushing 50 now) but I've twice been pulled over simply for erratic driving. First was a so-so deserved ticket for reckless driving when I was in my 20s visiting Seattle (from Spokane) and I thought I was simply driving the way a good portion of all Seattleites drove -- 10 mph over the speed limit and frequent lane changes. The second was another year, back in Spokane, late at night when I was driving somewhat erratically. But with good reason. Going down I-90, I was communicating with a friend/passenger, and being that both our hearing impairments are severe enough that we cannot simply talk while looking straight ahead relying solely on our ears, engaging in lip reading and gestures proved not conductive to straight and controlled driving -- which eventually caught the cop's eye. Point is, cops definitely have an eagle eye for anything remotely erratic out on the roads.
    February 2, 2014: The day Seahawks win their second Lombardi trophy
    (The first one is located back east somewhere.)
    Ruminator
    NET Starter

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:02 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Cartire wrote:

Wouldn't the charge be reckless driving in a case of .01-.04 I watch a lot of Cops and Law and Order. I'm pretty sure.

Officers discretion. They can still give you a field sobriety test. And if you fail that, they can chalk the reckless driving up to DUI. Its not a perfect system, but the state recognizes that some peoples tolerance to alcohol is different. .08 is a standard, your screwed if your over it regardless. Otherwise, below it, its up to the officer to decide.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:20 am
  • Ruminator wrote:This was years ago (I'm pushing 50 now) but I've twice been pulled over simply for erratic driving. First was a so-so deserved ticket for reckless driving when I was in my 20s visiting Seattle (from Spokane) and I thought I was simply driving the way a good portion of all Seattleites drove -- 10 mph over the speed limit and frequent lane changes. The second was another year, back in Spokane, late at night when I was driving somewhat erratically. But with good reason. Going down I-90, I was communicating with a friend/passenger, and being that both our hearing impairments are severe enough that we cannot simply talk while looking straight ahead relying solely on our ears, engaging in lip reading and gestures proved not conductive to straight and controlled driving -- which eventually caught the cop's eye. Point is, cops definitely have an eagle eye for anything remotely erratic out on the roads.

"But with good reason" - yep I am sure this convinced the cop that you should be able to be all over the place........

Guys don't forget that Harvin did test positive on the combine for marijuana. From the article

"Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin was pulled over on Interstate 405 today due to license plate and tinted window violations. In the course of the traffic stop, the officer suspected marijuana use, and arrested Harvin for investigation of DUI."

This is not good for the next few months. Need Percy to stop smoking / have friends in the car smoking
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 am
  • Officers discretion. They can still give you a field sobriety test. And if you fail that, they can chalk the reckless driving up to DUI. Its not a perfect system, but the state recognizes that some peoples tolerance to alcohol is different. .08 is a standard, your screwed if your over it regardless. Otherwise, below it, its up to the officer to decide.

It wouldn't be reckless driving, it would be negligent driving.. At the higher degrees it carries some of the same penalties of a dui just not as harsh.. Can be still considered an alcohol/drug related offense on your record. But you're right, completely at the officers discretion
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:22 am
  • Bremwahawk wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:

Cool beans. I'm at 129.

VAQ-129 was my first Command back in 1977. That's what brought me out west and it was the same year I met and fell in love with my Seahawks. Been a fan ever since.

very cool!
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 am
  • Cartire wrote:Officers discretion. They can still give you a field sobriety test. And if you fail that, they can chalk the reckless driving up to DUI. Its not a perfect system, but the state recognizes that some peoples tolerance to alcohol is different. .08 is a standard, your screwed if your over it regardless. Otherwise, below it, its up to the officer to decide.

Yep - this.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:31 am

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 am
  • TheWebHead wrote:King 5 Sports says:

the officer suspected marijuana use, and arrested Harvin for investigation of DUI.

http://www.king5.com/sports/Seahawks-WR ... 30131.html

I guess DWB really was the reason.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:50 am
  • nIdahoSeahawk wrote:I see a comment on that page saying he looked high on draft day. Does this guy not know that this is WASHINGTON... He can be high if he wants

Whether you can legally drive high is still up for debate.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:52 am
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    nIdahoSeahawk wrote:I see a comment on that page saying he looked high on draft day. Does this guy not know that this is WASHINGTON... He can be high if he wants

Whether you can legally drive high is still up for debate.

NFL players are not allowed to BE high. Period. It is part of their contract and part of the League's collective bargaining agreement. Doesn't matter what state he plays in.

Hell, he can't fly to Amsterdam today and get perfectly legally stoned and fly back to Seattle next week and fail an NFL drug test.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:03 am
  • Cartire wrote:Speaking of Flying Greg, were moving back to Oak Harbor in November. VAQ 142.

It sure has hell does.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:03 am
  • Yes, NFL policy is for their job, regardless of legality.

Just like the Navy. Were moving back to WA, but that doesnt mean its high times in the house when we get there ....

...unfortunately.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am
  • What the hell's wrong with those west side coppers.. Don't they know we're in the middle of our championship offseason?
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:01 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:What the hell's wrong with those west side coppers.. Don't they know we're in the middle of our championship offseason?

He was pulled over on the 405. That's the eastside.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:43 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:A simple case of slow news day meets lonely cop

A guy gets pulled over and let go. Yeah. Its a slow news day. Hasn't Hernandez killed someone else?

Well now that you mention it they are investigating Hernandez connections to shootings that occurred in 2007 while he was at UF. Apparently at the time the shootings took place witnesses were afraid to come forward.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:37 am
  • We'll after that story, I'm sure the NFL instantly dispatched their piss testers with their little plastic cups to knock on Percy's door...
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:46 am
  • He was pulled over on the 405. That's the eastside.

I was referring to west side of the state....
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information