Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Re: To the family of Bruce Irvin...
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:20 am 
NET Veteran

Quote:
As far as getting pissed, just remember that any organization "begging" for money from the common people is doing so because they need it. They don't get millions or billions in tax breaks. We never see fortune 500 companies begging at the grocery store because they do their begging on Capitol Hill and essentially take our money without asking us to put it in a jar. It's estimated that fortune 500 companies have $1.6 TRILLION in offshore accounts so they can avoid paying taxes. When I see a kids' charity or a community nonprofit asking for donations, I get angry that they have to do that while stupid companies like Facebook find loopholes that allow them to pay NO taxes. So if we're talking anger about money-grubbers, I'll aim mine toward the truly greedy and not the needy ones trying to do good in the world.

I understand all that, and i do contribute when i can.. But when i go to 4 different stores and get asked to donate 4 different times, when i enter, when i check out, or when i leave, then feel like a jerk because i say no, i've already donated 2 times today, sorry it gets irritating..

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:50 am 
NET Veteran

hawker84 wrote:
Quote:
As far as getting pissed, just remember that any organization "begging" for money from the common people is doing so because they need it. They don't get millions or billions in tax breaks. We never see fortune 500 companies begging at the grocery store because they do their begging on Capitol Hill and essentially take our money without asking us to put it in a jar. It's estimated that fortune 500 companies have $1.6 TRILLION in offshore accounts so they can avoid paying taxes. When I see a kids' charity or a community nonprofit asking for donations, I get angry that they have to do that while stupid companies like Facebook find loopholes that allow them to pay NO taxes. So if we're talking anger about money-grubbers, I'll aim mine toward the truly greedy and not the needy ones trying to do good in the world.

I understand all that, and i do contribute when i can.. But when i go to 4 different stores and get asked to donate 4 different times, when i enter, when i check out, or when i leave, then feel like a jerk because i say no, i've already donated 2 times today, sorry it gets irritating..

I have to go with this. Im getting really tired of drive throughs, and walmart, and other stores asking if I would like to donate to such and such. My family doesnt make much, but we do donate to the local Firefighters charity and a few other ones my wife likes every year. I shouldnt be made to feel bad when I got a line of people behind me because I didnt give to Charity #15235.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 am 
NET Veteran

I am sure Bruce Irvin has given to those in his life that deserves it.

The cousin that didn't talk to you for 10 years doesn't deserve a dime and if you pay for dinner when you meet them they should be grateful.

Going on twitter may have been his way of putting this out there to his family. Back the F off with your requests. It is easy to say what you would do it is much harder to do in that situation. There have been several cases of attempted murder etc on lottery winner by family member that wants to inherit the money. Many of the athletes comes from situation where people have little / no education and live very poorly. It is a situation that I don't envy anyone in the sense that you have to alienate family members due to unreasonable demands from them.........

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:12 am 
NET Veteran

HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
hawker84 wrote:
I get pissed at all the differen't organizations begging for money at every fricken store i go to, couldn't imagine having to deal with this. Help the people who have helped you along the way, pick a couple good charities, the rest are on their own.

I agree completely with the 2nd sentence.

Back on topic: Irvin's family might need money, but it sounds like they put nothing into Bruce's success, so they are just greedy.

As for your comment about offshore accounts, I would mostly blame high taxes for that. It the gov lowered taxes for businesses they woudn't feel the need to go to a place of lower taxes.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 am 
NET Veteran

therealjohncarlson wrote:
As for your comment about offshore accounts, I would mostly blame high taxes for that. It the gov lowered taxes for businesses they woudn't feel the need to go to a place of lower taxes.

Thats a crock of crap. Its proven that the highest earners pay the lowest PERCENTAGE of taxes.

5 million in taxes seems like alot, until you realized that person raked in 150 million that year.

Over half our country could live amazingly on that one persons yearly salary for 5 years. Taxes are the reason they use offshore accounts, but its not because the amount of taxes they pay. Its any taxes they can avoid, they do.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:22 am 
*Host of .NET Awards*

Bullshit. If corporate taxes were lower, corporations would still find lower tax, no tax, off shore havens.

They're the embodiment of "give them an inch and they take a mile".

They would still lobby for more loopholes.

It's in their very nature to make as much profit as they can, and it doesn't matter to them if what they do is unethical or even illegal. Especially when penalties are so low compared to the profits they reap from illicit practices.

It's nothing but a cost benefit analysis to them.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 am 
NET Veteran

HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
hawker84 wrote:
I get pissed at all the differen't organizations begging for money at every fricken store i go to, couldn't imagine having to deal with this. Help the people who have helped you along the way, pick a couple good charities, the rest are on their own.

I agree completely with the 2nd sentence.

Back on topic: Irvin's family might need money, but it sounds like they put nothing into Bruce's success, so they are just greedy.

I don't see the incentive for them voluntarily to move their millions and billions back to the states. Even if they only had to pay 2% or 3% taxes as opposed to the ZERO % they now pay, why would they?

My advice for the tiresome moments of "being made to feel bad" (I experience those too) is to use that moment and that feeling to think of the millions and billions of dollars that could be used to build better infrastructure that would make many of those nickle-and-diming organizations obsolete. If we focused our collective anger on the billionaires who feel no duty to America or its citizens to pay their fair share of taxes, and we allow the crooked politicians to take donations from these greedy punks in order to keep it that way, maybe we wouldn't be harassed for spare change at every turn.

In other words, ask yourself this: is my frustration with the spare-change goody-goody brigade in proportion to my outrage for the billions of dollars that fortune 500 companies are allowed to withhold from the people?

In Bruce Irvin's case, his family members are the worst of both sides: the greed and selfishness of the fortune 500's plus the annoying begging of the charities.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

mikeak wrote:
Going on twitter may have been his way of putting this out there to his family. Back the F off with your requests.

That's part of the reason I started this thread. Not that his family will see this on the forum, but just to throw it out there in general. Screw greedy family members.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:08 am 
NET Veteran

Didn't Bruce live with a guy who ended up straightening him out, and that guy still manages him a bit ? I can't remember as there is a few hard luck guys who's story is out there, but it sounds like Irvin is sticking to his guns, and that's a good thing.

Like one of the posters above, if I hit a huge jackpot (like 20 mil + ) then everyone in my immediate and extended familiy would get $1k. Then that's it. I just can't see giving some to some folks, more to certain others, etc. Most of my family would do the same for me, so I would do it.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:44 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

I think Bruce is right to feel this way, but I do not believe in airing family drama over social media (facebook, myspace, twitter,etc). That happens in my family and it REALLY pisses me off as a parent.

I agree with getting a money manager/attorney to watchdog your fortune (provided you can find one via reference so you don't get Billy Joel'd). All charities, hopeful entrepreneurs, family members (both real and imagined), friends and scum-suckers must go through that person. That way, you are removed from the line of fire somewhat.

If I came into 20+ million, I'd pick two charities and support them well.

I have five kids. All 18 or over. Everyone gets a trust fund of 100k, with three disbursements every 5 years (so, 100k+ any interest earned) over a 15 year period, NOT all at once so they don't blow it.

Each kid would also get funds to pay for four years in college, or pay off their loans if they've gone already.

That's it...and more than enough.

We'd also figure out something for our siblings and parents, but it'd be a single payment thing.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:18 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

Hawks46 wrote:

if I hit a huge jackpot (like 20 mil + ) then everyone in my immediate and extended familiy would get $1k. Then that's it.

Aren't you the great philanthropist? C'mon, Daddy Warbucks. You win 20Million and you only gift a grand per family member?? How will you feed yourself?
One lousy grand?

Andrew Carnegie you're not.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:21 pm 
NET Veteran

Cartire wrote:

Thats a crock of crap. Its proven that the highest earners pay the lowest PERCENTAGE of taxes.

This is 100% false. The majority of the taxes are paid by the top. Actually the top 10% earners paid 71% of ALL income tax paid in despite actually only making some 43% of all the income.

Now I am not saying one should feel sorry for them nor that they should pay less. I am for those making their money on stock etc paying the same higher tax bracket as others that do "regular" work for a living but don't go here and claim that the top earners pay the lowest percentage of taxes.

In regards to companies. This country already has record low taxes from a historical perspective. Certain groups in this country wants you to believe that we are being taxed to death but if you go look at historical numbers that is pure BS. Then go and look at mortgage interest rates and you will see that those are on historical lows which makes you wonder why so many households are having debt problem.

The answer is simple now the rich lifestyle is offered to everyone and people could live it by borrowing on their house that kept increasing in value and that all crashed but people can't live within their means they want what they see that others have and ignore the fact if they have earned it. I worked for my money, I got student loans on my money, I don't see my wife for days at times as we pass in the door-way going between our jobs but I don't complain about the taxes as I will pull my weight. Just don't ask me to pay for everything so you can sit on the couch and pass laws allowing you to smoke pot whenever you want.......

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:26 pm 
NET Veteran

bestfightstory wrote:
Hawks46 wrote:

if I hit a huge jackpot (like 20 mil + ) then everyone in my immediate and extended familiy would get $1k. Then that's it.

Aren't you the great philanthropist? C'mon, Daddy Warbucks. You win 20Million and you only gift a grand per family member?? How will you feed yourself?
One lousy grand?

Andrew Carnegie you're not.

LOL - thought the exact same thing. $1k really. That is a $1k check I would tear and throw back on the ground and spit at. That is a big F you. You can either share a bit or don't - your call but don't insult me. Take everyone on a big nice trip or something or don't do jack - your call

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:47 pm 
NET Veteran

mikeak wrote:
Cartire wrote:

This is 100% false. The majority of the taxes are paid by the top. Actually the top 10% earners paid 71% of ALL income tax paid in despite actually only making some 43% of all the income.

Now I am not saying one should feel sorry for them nor that they should pay less. I am for those making their money on stock etc paying the same higher tax bracket as others that do "regular" work for a living but don't go here and claim that the top earners pay the lowest percentage of taxes.

In regards to companies. This country already has record low taxes from a historical perspective. Certain groups in this country wants you to believe that we are being taxed to death but if you go look at historical numbers that is pure BS. Then go and look at mortgage interest rates and you will see that those are on historical lows which makes you wonder why so many households are having debt problem.

The answer is simple now the rich lifestyle is offered to everyone and people could live it by borrowing on their house that kept increasing in value and that all crashed but people can't live within their means they want what they see that others have and ignore the fact if they have earned it. I worked for my money, I got student loans on my money, I don't see my wife for days at times as we pass in the door-way going between our jobs but I don't complain about the taxes as I will pull my weight. Just don't ask me to pay for everything so you can sit on the couch and pass laws allowing you to smoke pot whenever you want.......

Of course the paid 71% of the total. But they pay the lowest % of their own income. Thats the difference. IF you make 30,000 and pay 18%, your going to pay less overall money then someone who made $50,000,000 and paid 9%. But they still paid way less of a percentage. Thats the truth.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

Yeah, if I won $20 million, my parents and siblings get at least $1 million each.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:29 pm 
NET Veteran

Cartire wrote:
Of course the paid 71% of the total. But they pay the lowest % of their own income. Thats the difference. IF you make 30,000 and pay 18%, your going to pay less overall money then someone who made $50,000,000 and paid 9%. But they still paid way less of a percentage. Thats the truth.

That is not the truth. The truth is that the portion of the rich people that makes their money from investments only pay a very small percentage in taxes (15% capital income tax). The better off people that makes their money from normal earnings that are based on working pay the highest tax bracket percentage which sure is more than 18%........

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:30 pm 
NET Veteran

taz291819 wrote:
Yeah, if I won $20 million, my parents and siblings get at least $1 million each.

Well good to know that I am middle ground here. I am sure mine will get a number that falls within $1k and $1million :D

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 pm 
NET Veteran

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
I think Bruce is right to feel this way, but I do not believe in airing family drama over social media (facebook, myspace, twitter,etc). That happens in my family and it REALLY pisses me off as a parent.

I agree with getting a money manager/attorney to watchdog your fortune (provided you can find one via reference so you don't get Billy Joel'd). All charities, hopeful entrepreneurs, family members (both real and imagined), friends and scum-suckers must go through that person. That way, you are removed from the line of fire somewhat.

If I came into 20+ million, I'd pick two charities and support them well.

I have five kids. All 18 or over. Everyone gets a trust fund of 100k, with three disbursements every 5 years (so, 100k+ any interest earned) over a 15 year period, NOT all at once so they don't blow it.

Each kid would also get funds to pay for four years in college, or pay off their loans if they've gone already.

That's it...and more than enough.

We'd also figure out something for our siblings and parents, but it'd be a single payment thing.

Me and my older bro got into a fist fight because he kept airing family stuff on FB. This was at a time when my parents gave up their room to allow him and his girl and their kids to move in so they could save up for a house. They were so unappreciative and acted like it was theirs. That pissed me off royally. Havent talked to the guy in over 6 months.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

Dear Bruce, I come in peace.

All I ask is you do this one thing...

Call Mike Rob, go have dinner with he and his wife, talk about money with him, do exactly what he says to do with yours.

Bruce, thanks very much and stay healthy big guy.

That is all,
Scott

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm 
NET Veteran

I hope Bruce can work things out.

With the politics added in, this topic reeks of shit.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:13 pm 
NET Veteran

Slick wrote:

I forsee the topic getting moved the the shack soon. This should help as well.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:08 pm 
* NET Sports Handicapper *

Just got this in my inbox.... I'm very fortunate to be in this situation - hopefully you guys don't try to bum a few bucks off of me.

My wife and I won $11.2 million in a lottery 6-49 in July, 2010 and we have decided to donate the sum of $2,000,000.00 USD to you. Contact us via our personal email for more details (allenvioletlarge111@rogers.com).

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Slick wrote:

A crap load of shit!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:39 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

Cartire wrote:
Slick wrote:

I forsee the topic getting moved the the shack soon. This should help as well.

That was depressing.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:40 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Way to piss in the proverbial Cheerios of this thread, guys.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 am 
NET Veteran

I wonder if he'll give me money since we're not related. I shall ask and report right back.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 am 
NET Veteran

Bigpumpkin wrote:
It is a well established FACT that the families of LOTTERY winners honestly believe that that THEY won the LOTTERY through their family member and that the money also belongs to them. They want their share NOW and will make your life miserable if you do not comply.

It IS Fact. Immediate family SHOULD be entitled to it. When I won a bunch of money, my brothers, sisters, kids, parents, I shared it with all of them.

It's called being FAMILY.

What did they give up for me when I had nothing? What would they give up for me if I had nothing? EVERYTHING.

Any douchebag who thinks somehow his immediate family doesn't deserve anything from his good fortune, is just that - a douchebag.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

SalishHawkFan wrote:
It IS Fact. Immediate family SHOULD be entitled to it.

...Wow.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:16 am 
NET Veteran

SalishHawkFan wrote:
Bigpumpkin wrote:
It is a well established FACT that the families of LOTTERY winners honestly believe that that THEY won the LOTTERY through their family member and that the money also belongs to them. They want their share NOW and will make your life miserable if you do not comply.

It IS Fact. Immediate family SHOULD be entitled to it. When I won a bunch of money, my brothers, sisters, kids, parents, I shared it with all of them.

What did they give up for me when I had nothing? What would they give up for me if I had nothing? EVERYTHING.

Any douchebag who thinks somehow his immediate family doesn't deserve anything from his good fortune, is just that - a douchebag.

Its case by case. My family? Sure. Your Family? Looks like it. But not all families. Some families are just cruel to their kids until they all of sudden strike it rich. Are they entitled to it?

I cant remember, but didnt Irvins back story include a lot of Family issues and crime related drama?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:25 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

RolandDeschain wrote:
SalishHawkFan wrote:
It IS Fact. Immediate family SHOULD be entitled to it.

...Wow.

Yeah, I'm with you. There just aren't words expressive enough to say here.

Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am 
NET Rookie

Nothing wrong with helping out the fam -- but second cousins coming out of the woodwork, or people asking you to buy them stuff is ridiculous. If I made it big, I'd help the people close to me pay the bills they already have...but the uncle I hadn't heard from in 3 years and would never call on the phone is getting jack.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 am 
NET Starter

$100,000 each kid plus interest wow.

I'm not saying my parents are bad but wow I wish I had that security back when I was starting to learn to handle money/debt. It's not so bad now but imagine going to school full time, working two jobs and taking care of a disabled family member. Sad but money fixes a lot of problems in the world! I can understand where Bruce is coming from too.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:03 pm 
NET Veteran

SalishHawkFan wrote:
Bigpumpkin wrote:

I think there's a difference between winning money and earning money. Bruce shouldn't have to give money to his family when he made sacrifices to get to the level he's at.

"I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:13 pm 
NET Veteran

SalishHawkFan wrote:
When I won a bunch of money, .

MY BROTHER - WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!!!! I have been looking for you everywhere

and by the way where is my cut :D

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:25 pm 
NET Veteran

hawker84 wrote:
Quote:

Some stores have lost my business because of doing just that.
If I don't have enough (fixed income/ retirement) to buy the more expensive cuts of meat (tender and tasty), or the other over priced goodies in this particular chain of grocery stores, what the hell makes them think I have enough to donate to some of their charitable causes???
I HAVE been on the down and out ride, several times in my life, and missed meals a bunch, so where were these charities when I was down there?, probably accepting accolades for dunning the not so well off people, out of their not so spare money, that they couldn't afford to let go bye bye.
I'll tell you what feeling really shitty feels like, that's when you have nothing to eat, and you look around at the kids that you know are doing without in THIS Country.
Topic?, oh yeah, Irvin needs to tell those with their hands out, to go see uncle Fester for their share of the booty, as he's responsible for looking out for the folks who were there for him when the times were thin.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:48 pm 
NET Veteran

SalishHawkFan wrote:
Bigpumpkin wrote:

Entitled?, Capitol BULL, Capitol SHIT.
If I were to hit it big, I'd find a way to help lift MY Family up to running a business that I'd start for them ,give them a chance to make a living wage there, but they'd have to earn it for themselves.
One of my way younger cousins snorted 3 Million up her nose in just over two Years, another younger cousins inherited 2.4 Million from his parents passing, and he died broke, less than five years later.
Sometimes just giving money to people, isn't doing them one dam bit of a favor.
Honest to GOD, my Dad use to say, "if you want money, go and earn it", but if you're hungry, I'll get Mom to fix you something to eat.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:53 pm 
NET Veteran

nsport wrote:
Just got this in my inbox.... I'm very fortunate to be in this situation - hopefully you guys don't try to bum a few bucks off of me.

My wife and I won $11.2 million in a lottery 6-49 in July, 2010 and we have decided to donate the sum of $2,000,000.00 USD to you. Contact us via our personal email for more details (allenvioletlarge111@rogers.com).

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Gee, I was really hoping I could count on you to help me out with Season tickets this Year too :16:

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]