To the family of Bruce Irvin...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Keep your money-grubbing hands in your own pockets, and let the man be.

I saw these Tweets a bit ago from Bruce, and it sounds like his family's giving him some pretty hefty pressure in terms of wanting to hop on the gravy train.

Bruce Irvin":3uwig4hd said:
Bruce IrvinBruce Irvin ‏@BIrvin_WVU11 40m
Family be the worst ones. I will refuse to go broke trying to help everyone out! Worked too hard to get where I am!

Bruce IrvinBruce Irvin ‏@BIrvin_WVU11 38m
It was much easier playing for a scholarship! Nobody looking for handouts. This shit is outta control now

Bruce Irvin ‏@BIrvin_WVU11 36m
I stress more with money more then I ever have when I was broke

Bruce, throw your money into savings and tell those people you're not a winning lottery ticket for them. Be strong.

Much love from the 12th man.

Sac

Reaction score
Get a good money manager and tell your family all requests have to go through the manager. Then you can veto on the back end.

hawker232

Reaction score
Smh... These kinda people disgust me. Throw your kid out on the street, let someone else raise them, then once he makes money, you all the sudden lovey dovey with the kid?

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I just watched 30 for 30: Broke last night. Hopefully Bruce doesn't fall for the traps.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Hey y'all my car just ran out of gas and my dog died, can I have 500 dollars?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I don't think he'll suffer the same fate. Those guys just couldnt say no. Looks and sounds like Bruce is already putting his foot down

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It is a well established FACT that the families of LOTTERY winners honestly believe that that THEY won the LOTTERY through their family member and that the money also belongs to them. They want their share NOW and will make your life miserable if you do not comply.

Cartire

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2e6q88h1 said:
It is a well established FACT that the families of LOTTERY winners honestly believe that that THEY won the LOTTERY through their family member and that the money also belongs to them. They want their share NOW and will make your life miserable if you do not comply.

Where as I believe that, I honestly dont know how you could even go about asking for money without feeling like scum.

If anyone in my family, immediate or extended, won big, or earned big, I probably wouldnt even talk to them about the money. I just wouldnt feel right. The only thing I would think of is, if maybe an immediate member, like parents or siblings made it big, I might consider talking with them about investment opportunities that I could be a part of. But even then, I would probably refer them to a financial expert first.

HawksnDawgs35

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2hnye1qu said:

What's worse are the people that are not even related to lottery winners and send them letters begging for money.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2qg315kp said:
Get a good money manager and tell your family all requests have to go through the manager. Then you can veto on the back end.
Bingo.

nepahawk

Reaction score
A family member of mine was a lottery winner. I could never imagine asking for a dime, even though I could have definitely used some help at the time.

Just because you might have good fortune doesn't mean everyone has a right to it!

Good Luck to Bruce, stay strong, you deserve what you have!

hawker84

Reaction score
I get pissed at all the differen't organizations begging for money at every fricken store i go to, couldn't imagine having to deal with this. Help the people who have helped you along the way, pick a couple good charities, the rest are on their own.

Greenhell

Reaction score
If I won the lotto mine and my wifes immeadiate family will be taken care of. One lump of money and whatever they decide to do with it is up to them. Once its gone, it's gone. They're not getting a dime more.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
hawker84":38j4tsx2 said:
I get pissed at all the differen't organizations begging for money at every fricken store i go to, couldn't imagine having to deal with this. Help the people who have helped you along the way, pick a couple good charities, the rest are on their own.

I agree completely with the 2nd sentence.

As far as getting pissed, just remember that any organization "begging" for money from the common people is doing so because they need it. They don't get millions or billions in tax breaks. We never see fortune 500 companies begging at the grocery store because they do their begging on Capitol Hill and essentially take our money without asking us to put it in a jar. It's estimated that fortune 500 companies have $1.6 TRILLION in offshore accounts so they can avoid paying taxes. When I see a kids' charity or a community nonprofit asking for donations, I get angry that they have to do that while stupid companies like Facebook find loopholes that allow them to pay NO taxes. So if we're talking anger about money-grubbers, I'll aim mine toward the truly greedy and not the needy ones trying to do good in the world.

Back on topic: Irvin's family might need money, but it sounds like they put nothing into Bruce's success, so they are just greedy.