Second favorite team

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Second favorite team
Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:59 am
  • Back in the AFC days hate to say it but 49ers... Now that we're in the same division, any team playing them...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 pm
  • I'll root for Cleveland. Because, you know, it's Cleveland.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:14 pm
  • growing up in a depressing seahawks era, i found myself rooting for the bills a lot. LOVED their early-mid 90's teams. so id like to see them do well again.
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:16 pm
  • Mine used to be Green Bay. After last years collective temper tantrum by fan and player alike, I can no longer stand them. Especially that discount doubledoucheface.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 pm
  • Probably the Cardinals because they were the lovable losers of the old NFC before they were the lovable losers of the new NFC. Hard not to root for an underdog, and two decent seasons aside, they've been the underdog every year.

I also like the Packers (strong Seahawks ties plus one of my better friends is a Packers fan from Wisconsin), Patriots (Tom Brady is awesome, Belichick is a character), Broncos (love Peyton Manning and have tons of friends who are Bronco fans from Colorado), Titans (Locker), Jaguars (Bradley plus I still remember the Brunell days), Dolphins (GM has issues, but I like a lot of the players he's drafted, it's a team that is rising despite his incompetence in other areas) and Saints (Brees, Payton, Loomis (Loomis has strong Seahawks ties) are all class acts and all very good at what they do). I guess I'm starting to like the Bengals too. They've drafted very well in recent years and they are basically the closest thing the AFC has to offer in terms of having a Seahawks type team that is young, physical, and on the upswing.
    Last edited by kearly on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 pm
  • Why not cheer for mediocrity and disappointment?

Unless they're playing the Hawks, I tend to hope every underdog wins (unless that is the Cowboys or Steelers).

It means I'm often rather sad at the end of a weekend. I should change my ways...
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Non-applicable. 100% Seahawks, 0% every other team.

I don't understand rooting for another team... I obviously want my fantasy players to put up huge stats, but I don't want any other team to win.
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm
  • I have never had 'another team'. For awhile, when I was very young, I tried to like the Dolphins as well as the Seahawks because my father had a tryout with them and competed against Larry Csonka for the tailback position when they were both rookies.

But that never stuck. It was forced and a passing flirtation.

Typically, the eighties and nineties, when the Seahawks season was over, so was football for me. The playoffs might as well have been women's motocross. It just didn't resonate with me. It just didn't matter. The Seahawks season was over=football season is over.

For the last decade or and a half, I've noticed i have shifted slightly. I'm still the kid who would trade a Tony Dorsett rookie card for the Seahawks OLineman that I didn't have. I still don't have anything that one could call a 'second favorite' but I have at times identified teams/organizations whose style or moxie or identity I respect. The kind of team I would want to be a part of as a player. OR a team who i imagine plays with the kind of heart of a Chad Brown, Ricky Watters, Kenny Easley. OR a team that is facing a long uphill battle.

So at times I have watched Buddy Ryan's Eagles-That DLINE!! Fisher's Titans or the Ravens of McCrary and Adams and Lewis or the Bucs when they rose from the depths. But never with my heart always with my head.

And the thing about now? With Allen and Carroll and Schneider and Wilson and Marshawn and Red and Kam and BB and Rice and Harvin and Breno and Unger and all the rest is the team that exemplifies the kind of football I want the Seahawks to play is the kind of team the Seahawks ARE.

So now? 37 years in. Houston is a cool team. I like Foster and Andre. I like the aggression of their defense. Cincy gets my underdog vote and I hope they crush Pittsburg. But none of their victories will give me real pleasure. More of a "oh, that's cool" response.

It's all about the Seahawks. Like it always has been.
    Last edited by bestfightstory on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm
  • Whoever is playing the 49ers or any other NFC team that is in the playoff race with Seattle.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm
  • Chiefs. I was born in Kansas.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:27 pm
  • Eagles.

Because I think Chip Kelly is a revolutionary coach.

His no huddle offense is a beauty to watch, and makes football that much more exciting.
    vant
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 pm
  • All Seahawks all day.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 pm
  • Can it be in the lingerie league?!

RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:36 pm
  • ^^ Winner!
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:06 pm
  • Scrolling down, I was getting mad at the douche who posted the giant picture that stretched the screen.

...having now reached that picture, I'm not mad anymore. :)
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:13 pm
  • I too have changed my evil ways.. Lingerie league all day every day.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:44 pm
  • dolla dolla Billz. Always had a soft spot for them...
    you want a lil woo woooooooooooo
    bubbrubb
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:46 pm
  • I lived in the bay area until i was 10 and remember rooting for the Raiders. My brothers are 9er fans and I think I wanted to be different I guess. I also liked the (old) Raiders tough rep. They would be my second. I also enjoyed watching the underdog Browns last year. I am another guy that likes to root for the underdog.
    I still get chills when I watch the Beastquake run. "Are you kidding me?!!!"
    Clayfighter
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 pm
  • What ever team I have the most fantasy players on. Last year it was the Vikes. Harvin, Peterson and the Kicker.

I really don't have a second favorite team, but root for certain players... ie this year I will be supporting the Chiefs, as I have always had a soft spot for Alex Smith (Utah Ute)

I will also be rooting for the Jags (Bradley) and the Raiders (Flynn)
    sainthawk29
    NET Starter

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 pm
  • I think this year I will take a peek at the Raiders to see how Flynn works out.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:58 pm
  • Don't have a #2 but I always root against Pitt, NE, Was, Mia, NYG, Chi, Stl, KC and Atl

Hate to say it but I when I was younger I liked SF, Buf, Oak, and SD.

Like I root for all PAC-12 teams when the Huskies aren't playing agianst them, typically my priority is the closness to Seattle, I usually root for West Coast teams or perenial underdogs. If SF wasn't our enemy the'd be my 2nd favorite team, and when they were nobody's a few years ago I rooted for them some.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:04 pm
  • Coming from the Midwest, I became a Vikings fan out of necessity. Not that it matters though, they've become Seattle farm team.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:09 pm
  • I've always liked the Ravens because of their perpetually dominant defense so its great that WE have that type of defense now
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:33 pm
  • Mine has been the Ravens. I adopted them quickly because I was able to watch a team smack the Steelers around without having to wait 4 years to do so.

Before the NFCW was rebuilt, I liked the Niners. Prior to the existence of the Hawks they were always on TV for West coast programming. At least in Oregon back in the 70s. You either watched the steelers the Raiders or the Niners back then and I always loved the underdog.

Watching them become the Dynasty team was pretty impressive. You knew there would be some good football played watching them every week. There was always a big game if that team was involved.

It didn't take long to become annoyed by the Niners though. The Ravens had my respect since they were the Browns. Watched that last game in 1995, when the players hung out with the fans. Very cool indeed, it showed that they didn't want to leave their fans. Used to love rooting for the Browns and hated seeing Elway rip their playoff runs to pieces.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:47 pm
  • Come on guys, i know your 2nd favorite team is the Rams!!!!! But in your heart they are #1!!! jkjk

i don't really have a 2nd favorite, but there are teams i route for, like the Buc's and Broncos since i grew up in those places. If i had it my way, every team besides the Rams would go 0-16.
    Fitz the Ram
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:48 pm
  • Philly back from the days of Randall Cunningham. Now because Chip Kelly is there.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:58 pm
  • Common guys, "second favorite team" is Washington Huskies!!!!
    CEHawk
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:36 pm
  • I love football so I almost always pick a team to root for when I'm watching a game. Always been a Ravens supporter but they're too mainstream now so I'm going: Seattle Mist.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:49 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I love football so I almost always pick a team to root for when I'm watching a game. Always been a Ravens supporter but they're too mainstream now so I'm going: Seattle Mist.

:thirishdrinkers:
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm
  • I grew up watching the Bears in the 70s and 80s, so I still have a soft spot for them. I'm really curious to see if Mark Trestman can turn that team around. I also tend to just follow the USC alums on their various NFL teams.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 pm
  • Cleveland Browns. I don't know why, but I've always rooted for them (along with Seattle of course) ever since I can remember. Its probably because they've always sucked and have given me no reason to dislike them. No douchey players, or stuff like that. Also had a friend who was a die-hard Browns fan, so there's that too.
    "I'm better at life than you." -Richard Sherman
    "The separation is in the preparation" -Russell Wilson
    OreIdahawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm
  • Whomever is playing the Forty ninnies, *allas, and the Stealers!
    ....and yes I'm down with name calling! :th2thumbs:

* = D, there is no "D" in Dallas anymore!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 pm
  • I don't really have a second favorite team.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm
  • Having lived in SD for over 30 years I've developed a soft spot for the Chargers. Especially since we're not in the same division anymore.
    Sonichellboy
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 pm
  • I have about 4 second favorite teams that I will usually cheer for when they're not playing the Seahawks. My sons favorite teams are the Chiefs and the Bucs, I have no idea why, I've tried to indoctrinate them with only Seahawks stuff since they were tiny babies, but they grew up liking those teams for some reason? My brothers favorite team is the Colts, and I grew up to my Dad being a Raiders fan...
    ...but it's literally like this:

#1 Seahawks

#2. Chiefs, Raiders, Colts, and Bucs.

#30. Every other team
    #31. Steelers
    #32. 49ers
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 pm
  • Don't really have a second team but if I did I have always "liked" the Patriots, mainly because as many of you recall.. in the early 90's they were the team that was as shitty as we were.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:27 pm
  • The Hawks are the only team I care about. But I have plenty of love for anyone who beats the 39ers.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 pm
  • Sonichellboy wrote:Having lived in SD for over 30 years I've developed a soft spot for the Chargers. Especially since we're not in the same division anymore.

Living here gives me ample chance to talk/hear about them as well and I dont have anything against them except that piggy face Rivers makes when hes bitching at people...its just the uninformed apathetic fans that bug me
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:57 pm
  • Former 49er fan. Turned Seahawk last year at about mid through the season. Seahawks number one. SF was first love. But now in a monogamous relationship with the 12th man. Actually, SF is what got me noticing Seattle in the first place.

What other teams do I oggle?
    Raiders and fun to watch and root for, because they fail without fail.
    Broncos are cool, because Colorado is cool.

Buccaneers, Vikings, Rams, sometimes the Dolphins, are my favorite flings. Mostly because they are teams that struggle with winning records, yet are still contenders for at least wild cards, but don't get undeserved attention from media. I like those kinds of teams.

Nobody beats Seattle though. Coolest city, young team with character and heart. Best running back ever, messiah for a quarterback, a genius defensive back who will battle his wits and skills against the best, tons of great guys that fill the roster, a philanthropist/philosophic guru for a coach,

....and the best fans in the NFL.
    So as long as we don't succumb to hubris
    fsmassey
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 pm
  • Welcome to the GOOD side fsm
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:52 pm
  • dunceface wrote:
    Sonichellboy wrote:Having lived in SD for over 30 years I've developed a soft spot for the Chargers. Especially since we're not in the same division anymore.

Living here gives me ample chance to talk/hear about them as well and I dont have anything against them except that piggy face Rivers makes when hes bitching at people...its just the uninformed apathetic fans that bug me

I've always sort of liked the Chargers since back when Dan Fouts was slingin for em but Philip Rivers is ultra-douche 3300.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 pm
  • I am a 100% Seahawk fan, but I did root hard for the Saints the year they won the Superbowl. Always have been a fan of Drew Brees.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 pm
  • All Seahawks for me. But I had some close calls...

Born in Cali, my earliest football memories are of Raiders, Chargers, and Niners. I left when I was 6. Never got attached.
    Moved to St. Louis. The Cardinals were there, then they left when I was in junior high. Never got attached.
    Left St. Louis just before the Rams moved in. I was happy for the town to get a Lombardi Trophy, but I was long gone. Never got attached.
    Moved to Seattle, briefly. It was a weird year. The Seahawks were still in the AFC.
    Moved to Kansas City. Watched Chiefs games with friends. Elvis Grbac didn't do it for me. Schottenheimer choosing Grbac over Gannon really didn't do it for me. Never got attached.
    Moved back to Seattle at first opportunity. I decided the Seahawks would be my NFL team forever. For better or worse. Around the clock!
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 am
  • Growing up in Seattle in the 90's you obviously had the home town teams to support and always did, but I, like many others took to players in sports and liked the teams accrodingly

Thurman Thomas was my football hero.....Bills were my favourite team out with Seattle
    Kevin Johnson was my basketball hero: Loved the Phoneix Suns (can you believe that now with the whole Sacramento thing...ughhhhhh)
    Daryll Strawberry was my baseball hero (out with Griffey) and had a soft spot for the mets & dodgers

Now a days I dont really like other teams except our hawks. I tend to support teams playing agaisnt teams I dont like, such as any opponents of the patriots, steelers or niners
    glasgow seahawks
    NET Starter

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:05 am
  • As I've said before I'm a Seahawks fan but not an NFL fan.

I had my favorites through the years from the late 50s till now but its getting like baseball, very hard to like the sport. I do pay a small bit of attention to the 'Boys only because my former boss/O'Reilly's store manager and I still talk football and he has never outgrown them.

You can imagine we've had some interesting conversations through the years. lol

When the Seahawks are done playing the football season is over, never watch another game and have only watched one SB since about the 25th. Up to then I used to be able to tell you who won every game.

:les:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 am
  • I don't have a 2nd "favorite" team that I root for, but there are, and have been other teams that I have liked to see do well (as long as it doesn't affect the 'hawks in some negative way). I've always liked seeing Cleveland win, and hopefully one of these days they'll be a winner. I always half-heartedly rooted for the L.A. Rams. My dad is from LA, and that was his team. And also my uncle worked for them (he was a doctor/surgeon for them). Once they moved to St. Louis I stopped rooting for them altogether. I would love for them to move back to LA where they belong.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:04 am
  • The only other team I rooted for in the NFL were the Redskins when Zorn became their HC. But not anymore.

I also used to root for the now defunct Everett Hawks of the NIFL/AFL2. Used to get season tickets sit in the bar and have tons of fun.

But now there can only be one... CACAW!
    Owner and operator of "Oof Studios" in South Everett WA
    http://www.facebook.com/OofStudios
    http://www.OofStudios.com
    Oof
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:41 am
  • I guess if there was a team I would prefer to win more than anyone else not named Seahawks it would be the Dolphins. I loved the Seahawks growing up but the thing that really sucked me into loving football was watching Dan Marino throw the ball around. at the time (late 80s/early 90s) the dolphins seemed to be on TV a lot since Marino was the Petyon Manning of the time. Unless they are playing us, I always pull for the Dolphins, makes it even easier to do so ever since we moved to the NFC.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 am
  • If there were no Seahawks then it would probably be Ravens. I also would like to see the Bills improve. That team/organization is long over due for some success.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information