hawks move to #1 on NFL.com rankings

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
hawks move to #1 on NFL.com rankings
Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:53 am

Re: hawks move to #1 on NFL.com rankings
Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:59 am
  • Was just gonna post this. Isn't it beautiful? We were #2 before on their list. Now we're the top dawg. Ohhhhhhh yeah.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 am
  • Gotta love reading the comments sections though. Part of the glory of being called #1 is reading all the hate that comes along with it.

But thats how it goes, if your on top, your hated by everyone else. So we must be doing something right.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 am
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:11 am
  • Today this writer is a genius!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:13 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Today this writer is a genius!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally subscribing to his newsletter...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am
  • I've been following Harrison on Twitter for a good while, I liked him even before he got on our junk.

That makes me better than you, Dom.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am
  • Still think hes an imbecile. He states in this article that he found out he had to do this over the weekend, and therefor his whole weekend was shot. This article took him no more then 45 minutes, if that. And if it did take the whole weekend, well, thats worse.
    Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I've been following Harrison on Twitter for a good while, I liked him even before he got on our junk.

Com'on man. It is common knowledge that not only are you better than me but you are also better than everyone else.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I've been following Harrison on Twitter for a good while, I liked him even before he got on our junk.

Com'on man. It is common knowledge that not only are you better than me but you are also better than everyone else.

He's a better parent for sure...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:19 am
  • CANHawk wrote:He's a better parent for sure...

I would have raised you as an American, so I guess this is true.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:He's a better parent for sure...

I would have raised you as an American, so I guess this is true.

If I was your kid I'd punish myself!

CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:44 am
  • I have no problem with that. Losing Crab is a big loss for SF. I do hate the talk about Vernon at WR tho...totally invented story. Vernon practices with the WRs EVERY year. LOL.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:51 am
  • CANHawk wrote:If I was your kid I'd punish myself!

So would I, if you were my blood. :lol:
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 am
  • that's good news, i'd rather see him stay in a TE personally, however it would be fun as hell to watch him and Browner battle out there.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:06 pm
  • [RichNHansom]

Has anyone else noticed how NFL.com keeps ignoring the Seahawks or posting negative articles about the team while pumping up the 49ers? The East Coast bias is ridiculous!

[/RichNHansom]

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 pm
  • I love our team as much as anyone else, but I feel like we’re a little bit overhyped. Yes, we should be better than last year, but questions remain.

Will we be able to rush the passer? Injuries and suspensions linger.

Will we be able to stop the run? We were great during the first part of the season but got worse down the stretch. Luckily our offense gave us big leads by then; we didn’t have to worry about this as much. We could not stop the run in Atlanta, however, where they gashed us.

Will defenses figure out the read option, limiting our success with it?

Will our o-line be 100% healthy? Will Lynch be suspended? We are still a running team first and foremost.

Will we be able to overcome schedule challenges? Yes, this does factor. We started slow in those early road games, even the ones where we ended up winning.

Will all this hype get to the players heads? They play better with a chip on their shoulders.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 pm
  • Funny I love to read the hawks in the news, especially ranked firsf, but there is a part of me that says NO too much hype!
    Well, enjoy it anyway!
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:05 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:that's good news, i'd rather see him stay in a TE personally, however it would be fun as hell to watch him and Browner battle out there.

He just doesn't have the movement ability to play WR. He's FAST in straight lines, but he doesn't run routes like a WR. Plus he's a great blocker...I'd rather he stay at TE.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:18 pm
  • The thing I like about this is it's NFL.com and you just know they hated giving us that raking over their cash cow who is selling more NFL merchandise than any other team but how could you not. We destroyed them in our last meeting to the point of making them look like an amateur team. They have gotten worse all over the field while we have gotten better in our only area of weakness while bolstering an already strong receiving core. This is all without relying on a single rookie or even putting/hoping for production from any of them. If we get it, great but the Niners are in a position where if their rookies don't step up big they are going to be in a world of hurt real fast.

I'm almost surprised we haven't seen NFL.com pimping Lockette and Jenkins to justify merchandise sales. Oh well I guess it helps sell things and keep things interesting if you can justify a real competition but come on, anyone with half a brain can see the Niners have some huge question marks with injuries, age and needing to lean on rookies to step up. Assuming that they will just cruise right along without a hickup, that Gore will not be affected by the 30 year old curse, Justin Smith turning 34 will be no big deal, that Harbaugh is suddenly going to start resting his vets and getting his backups some playing time, that Aldon Smith won't dissapear again when/if Justin misses time, that Reid will even be starting caliber let alone replacing an allpro, that Delanie Walker can just be supplanted by a rookie, that their D-line rooks will be better than the guy's they already had backing up, that Dorsey wasn't just a complete bust but will flourish under Harbaugh and the list goes on.

Harbaugh put his best players on the field and left them their because he is to competitive and that has both hurt the growth of his backups and the longevity of his veterans. That formula can only work so long. Congrats Harb's and Niner fans, you had your run now move along. Your becoming that pesky fly that had their day in the sun but much like the last time we met, the light has run out. Go lick your wounds and try and come up with your excuses for why you are falling back to mediocrity again. Yep, again.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Annnnnnnnd, Volsung called it.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:29 pm
  • hoxrox wrote:I love our team as much as anyone else, but I feel like we’re a little bit overhyped.

So, you don't think we're a Super Bowl contender this year? Because we're getting the exact hype expected from a Super Bowl contender, no more, no less.

hoxrox wrote: Yes, we should be better than last year, but questions remain.

There are questions on every single team in this league. The hype queens this year are SF. They have holes you could drive a truck through.

Will we be able to rush the passer? Injuries and suspensions linger.

This is legit. However, one thing we can say is that we have way more potential to rush the passer this year. Bennett, Avril, even Tony McDaniel has a higher sack percentage than the snaps he's replacing. When Clemons and Irvin get back, that will be FAR more firepower than we had last year. That's not even mentioning our rookies, any of which could bring the heat from an unexpected place.

Also, Quinn is aggressive. If it weren't for one half at Green Bay, Seattle had one of the statistically worst pass rushes in the NFL last year. That means improving won't be very hard. Fault tolerant systems are redundant and the front office gave us massively redundant pieces to fix the pass rush.

Keep in mind, with a bad pass rush we still led the NFL in scoring defense, so if it's a question, it's one that doesn't have to be answered for Seattle to be better this year. However, if I had to guess, I'd say the pass rush will be better this year. An elite pass rush is a serious possibility.

Will we be able to stop the run? We were great during the first part of the season but got worse down the stretch. Luckily our offense gave us big leads by then; we didn’t have to worry about this as much. We could not stop the run in Atlanta, however, where they gashed us.

No idea. Red says Quinn is going to use him the way he did a couple years ago. Maybe Red's plantar fasciitis was a real problem. Maybe Winfield's run support has a significant effect. Maybe Jesse Williams is a run stopper. Like you said, though, we were able to dominate without stopping the run well. Stopping the run will be a bonus.

The strength of this team is the secondary and the secondary is deep and coming into its prime.

This makes about as much sense as asking if defenses will figure out the play action pass.

Will our o-line be 100% healthy? Will Lynch be suspended? We are still a running team first and foremost.

There's a reason why, despite being "overhyped" we're given <20% chance of winning the Super Bowl. I don't think acknowleding that any team's season can be derailed by injuries is a justification for hype damping.

Will we be able to overcome schedule challenges? Yes, this does factor. We started slow in those early road games, even the ones where we ended up winning.

Will all this hype get to the players heads? They play better with a chip on their shoulders.

Ultimately, the evidence strongly suggests that Seattle's offense is going to be dominating this year and there really isn't any good argument to refute that. Injuries could happen, but that's pretty much it. And Seattle's offensive dominance, by itself, answers every other question on this list.
    Last edited by formido on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    formido
    NET Starter

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:that's good news, i'd rather see him stay in a TE personally, however it would be fun as hell to watch him and Browner battle out there.

He just doesn't have the movement ability to play WR. He's FAST in straight lines, but he doesn't run routes like a WR. Plus he's a great blocker...I'd rather he stay at TE.

You better hope he does because you don't cover up one weakness by creating another and that move would do just that.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:[RichNHansom]

Has anyone else noticed how NFL.com keeps ignoring the Seahawks or posting negative articles about the team while pumping up the 49ers? The East Coast bias is ridiculous!

[/RichNHansom]

Did I type in east coast bias? Or did you add that in? Because I don't remember putting that in there and not sure why I would.

But yes read my last post. I truly believe that NFL.com wants to inflate this rivalry as it is the best in football currently but I also think they have known for a while who the better team is and the scheduling reflects it. There is no way in a league of supposed parity you coddle one team while making their biggest challenger play an obviously much tougher schedule unless you are either trying to help one team or hold the other team back some to keep it competitive.

Maybe it's merch sales or maybe they are just trying to pump up the hype and keep it interesting but I don't see how you can make those schedules and not see the problem.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm
  • formido wrote:

This makes about as much sense as asking if defenses will figure out the play action pass.

I want to thank you for mentioning this. I have been absolutly livid this offseason listening to everyone comparing the Read-Option to the Wildcat. As if because the Wildcat was a one hit wonder scheme, the Read-Option will be too.

The biggest, hugest factor against this is very simple. When the wildcat was running, YOU KNEW IT WAS THE WILDCAT. Wheres the QB? Oh thats right, NOT BEHIND THE CENTER!!

The Read-Option isnt going anywhere just like Play-Action isnt going anywhere. Why? Because the QB is still there. Which means you dont know for sure if its going to be a read-option play or a play-action, or whatever...
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 pm
  • I always like reading good stuff about the Hawks. I will admit it though, an opinionated ranking means little to me. There are plenty of reads that put the Niners in the top spot and I take it with the same thinking as when the Hawks are one.

One thing I feel for certain though, from a league perspective, the Hawks and Niners are the teams they should be talking about. Few teams are as complete as these two.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:26 pm
  • Cartire wrote:
    formido wrote:

I want to thank you for mentioning this. I have been absolutly livid this offseason listening to everyone comparing the Read-Option to the Wildcat. As if because the Wildcat was a one hit wonder scheme, the Read-Option will be too.

The biggest, hugest factor against this is very simple. When the wildcat was running, YOU KNEW IT WAS THE WILDCAT. Wheres the QB? Oh thats right, NOT BEHIND THE CENTER!!

The Read-Option isnt going anywhere just like Play-Action isnt going anywhere. Why? Because the QB is still there. Which means you dont know for sure if its going to be a read-option play or a play-action, or whatever...

Does this really make you livid? Really?

If so I think you may need therapy.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:28 pm
  • I see on the NFL's facebook post, that quite a few people are saying "packers #1"

....The troll in me wants to say "the packers need to be able beat the seahawks to be #1"

I digress... I think

If you're a PlayStation fan, check out and support my PlayStation forum: Team PlayStation
    nIdahoSeahawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:52 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Does this really make you livid? Really?

If so I think you may need therapy.

Too expensive. Otherwise sure, I would take you up on that. But for now, yes, yes it does. Because its impossible to discuss anything with people when they are uninformed like that.
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 pm
  • Thank you nfl.com for also dethroning the 49ers and making the realization that in fact the Seahawks are the better team.
    #11 is the Gatling Gun, coming at Ds in multiple, unpredictable ways spreading the field horizontally.

#10 is the Sniper Rifle, if you don't respect his deep field speed opposing DBs will end up in a pink mist.

#24 is the Boomstick, get in his way when you're the lone defender, I dare you.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:54 pm
  • formido wrote:So, you don't think we're a Super Bowl contender this year? Because we're getting the exact hype expected from a Super Bowl contender, no more, no less.

They're not only talking about SB contention, they're talking Dynasty. That's a bit much at this point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... xt-dynasty

Pressure, expectations - we won't creep up on anyone this year. And are going to have to be much more disciplined.

Your other points make sense.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:43 pm
  • hoxrox wrote:
    formido wrote:So, you don't think we're a Super Bowl contender this year? Because we're getting the exact hype expected from a Super Bowl contender, no more, no less.

They're not only talking about SB contention, they're talking Dynasty. That's a bit much at this point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... xt-dynasty

Pressure, expectations - we won't creep up on anyone this year. And are going to have to be much more disciplined.

Your other points make sense.

I hadn't seen that article yet. If a Niner wants to call Seattle a burgeoning dynasty, who am I to argue? ;)
    formido
    NET Starter

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:57 pm
  • nIdahoSeahawk wrote:I see on the NFL's facebook post, that quite a few people are saying "packers #1"

I guess the Packers should be in the discussion, but what holds me back from taking them seriously is that they have about as much riding on Aaron Rodgers as the Colts did on Peyton Manning. You take Rodgers off that team and it freefalls to 5 win territory. The Patriots once won 11 games without Tom Brady, and I bet the Seahawks could probably post double digits with Tjack at this point.

Of course, they do have Rodgers and despite how many sacks he takes and how much he scrambles/runs, the odds say he'll play a full season this year. Rodgers can only do so much and that was plainly evident when they got their asses kicked twice by the 49ers last season.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:17 pm
  • Well the Packers did address the running game and tried to do something about their OL but I didn't see them upgrade the speed of their defense, am I wrong here? Because if they didn't the 49ers, Seahawks, and Washington (all team's with dual threat quarterbacks will probably just curbstomp them again).
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:41 pm
  • Not to be a downer but they have picked KC and SD in recent memory.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:45 pm
  • Definitely noticed the KC pick. I don't get why the media outlets seem to like KC better than the local fanbase. Nobody around here sees them any better than 7-9ish.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:47 pm
  • "In other news -- sorta -- saw Golden Tate saying he would give 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh "The Sean Lee treatment." If he really wanted to make his statement forceful, Tate should have said he'd give Harbaugh the Sam Shields treatment."

What the hell is this. They can't even praise us without trying to knock us down a bit. How is that at all relevant? How is it even a joke?
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:48 pm
  • prob for KC is that denver is going to be good and the chargers should bounce back.

However I've always thought alex smith was better than most people did and I think he will be better than most people think in KC. I could see him having a pro-bowl caliber year with some of those offensive weapons.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:49 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    nIdahoSeahawk wrote:I see on the NFL's facebook post, that quite a few people are saying "packers #1"

No run game, lost one of their better receivers, and mediocre defense. Way too many holes. If anything, Packers could be the team to plummet down the rankings this year.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:49 pm
  • When we were on the top of this OFF-SEASON power poll most of you said that these things were pointless and just fluff to fill the void until pre-season started.

Now that you are on top and we are second it is suddenly a meaningful tool for judging a teams potential.

C'mon guys
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm
  • NinerLifer wrote:When we were on the top of this OFF-SEASON power poll most of you said that these things were pointless and just fluff to fill the void until pre-season started.

Now that you are on top and we are second it is suddenly a meaningful tool for judging a teams potential.

C'mon guys

Well, it's always just "some guy's" opinion - and I seriously doubt many picked the Ravens to win it all last year. That said, it is interesting to see how people view the off season changes and what the expectations / reputation is of a franchise moving forward into the next year. But yeah it doesn't mean anything in the long run.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:54 pm
  • NinerLifer wrote:When we were on the top of this OFF-SEASON power poll most of you said that these things were pointless and just fluff to fill the void until pre-season started.

C'mon guys

Don't lump me into that I have made it clear that I think they're meaningless but I do think they are fun and a harmless way to pass the offseason.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:55 pm

C'mon guys

If you don't like the pro-Seahawks commentary from the fans on a Seahawks fan forum, we can show you the door.

In the mean time...zip it. :16:
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:58 pm
  • Stephen SeaHawking wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    nIdahoSeahawk wrote:I see on the NFL's facebook post, that quite a few people are saying "packers #1"

No run game, lost one of their better receivers, and mediocre defense. Way too many holes. If anything, Packers could be the team to plummet down the rankings this year.

Eddie Lacy would argue with you about the notion they don't have a run game. 8)
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:58 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:prob for KC is that denver is going to be good and the chargers should bounce back.

However I've always thought alex smith was better than most people did and I think he will be better than most people think in KC. I could see him having a pro-bowl caliber year with some of those offensive weapons.

Not sold is all and most in KC are of my opinion. They really do need a 2nd receiver to be somewhat of a threat. But I could be wrong and most of the fanbase here is pretty downtrodden at this point so they tend to see things more negatively than positively.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 pm
  • As far as the writers are concerned it's a great story when we win, better story when we fail. Win/win for the press corps, as always. September can't get here fast enough. That, and it's 111 freaking degrees here today.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 pm

C'mon guys

Perhaps it has something to do with the superstar WR we picked up that is 25 years old, or the old veteran CB that was ranked slightly ahead of Richard Sherman as the best CB in the NFL last year by Pro Football Focus, or the moves we made to add more pass rushing power. Our weakest link on defense last year (nickel/slot coverage) is suddenly a strength, our pass rush is pretty much guaranteed to be improved at least a little, and our offense that was en fuego the last half of the season picked up the most dynamic, creative receiver in the league.

We were ranked 2nd-best team in the NFL before all of that. You honestly think we have any problem being ranked #1 now after the aforementioned? There's something to be said about fan hypocrisy, but don't pretend like you and all of your fan base doesn't do it, too. I remember you guys crying about how not everyone was picking you to go to the Super Bowl and win it when the playoffs came in Harbaugh's first year, and most of you wouldn't listen to reason about Alex Smith's lack of experience in the postseason.

Give us a break, NinerLifer. :roll:
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Next

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information