Seahawks TE Luke Willson & other roster tight ends

Jville

Reaction score
There was a lot of interest in Tight Ends a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not endorcing the SPARQ rating. But, the linked source is an interesting read w/charts on Seahawk Tight Ends.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analysis/2013/6/19/4445838/seahawks-pete-carroll-sparq-luke-willson[/urltargetblank]
McGrath ran the short shuttle in 4.16 seconds, an elite number for a tight end of 250+ pounds (would have been first among all tight ends in 2013 and 3rd in 2012), which shows a nice lateral explosiveness factor, and he registered a 35.5" vert, another good number. His three-cone time, which isn't included in the SPARQ, was an impressive 6.99 seconds. A sub-7.0 3-cone would have been 2nd best in 2013 at the Combine, among TEs, and would have been top-4 in 2012, his draft year.

Helfet's athleticism numbers are also very good (see a pattern yet? You should be) - he ran the 40 in 4.71 seconds and the short shuttle in 4.22 seconds at 6'3, 240 pounds. His 6.84 3-cone is absurdly fast, and is buoyed by his very respectable 24 reps on bench.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That SPARQ metric is very very interesting to me. Reading that Fieldgulls article, I had another thought (not original to me, I'm sure)...but since Carlisle became our head trainer, we've been very very healthy. I don't know you can attribute our rise in athleticism to him as we draft for metrically sound athletes, but we keep guys out of the trainer's room better than I can ever remember.

TE is actually shaping up to be an interesting battle. I see Helfet and maybe Fells staying on the PS. Fells really intrigues me at 6'8" and 280. He could end up being a matchup nightmare. Willson is also intriguing with 4.51 speed. I've been hearing good stuff about McGrath since last year's OTA's. I'm not sure McCoy even makes the squad when he comes back next year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
In a write-up piece that I'm working on, I said about McGrath: People will find out right away that he is pretty much the white version of Anthony McCoy except with better hands.

Both players are deceptively athletic TEs in a big, lumbering body mold.

Its almost bittersweet irony that Seattle can lose player to injuries and a better player can be found with the replacement.

We saw this with Richard Sherman in 2011 when Trufant and Thurmond went down.

When its all said and done McGrath could end up being a better TE than McCoy. I remember in a McGrath story from .com that he also said, he's going to push Miller for all he's got too, you have to like McGrath's confidence, if anything.

The kid does have plenty of talent for a promising future. Hopefully, he doesn't follow Eric Moore's footsteps.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1ru2zlys said:
In a write-up piece that I'm working on, I said about McGrath: People will find out right away that he is pretty much the white version of Anthony McCoy except with better hands.

Both players are deceptively athletic TEs in a big, lumbering body mold.

Its almost bittersweet irony that Seattle can lose player to injuries and a better player can be found with the replacement.

We saw this with Richard Sherman in 2011 when Trufant and Thurmond went down.

When its all said and done McGrath could end up being a better TE than McCoy. I remember in a McGrath story from .com that he also said, he's going to push Miller for all he's got too, you have to like McGrath's confidence, if anything.

The kid does have plenty of talent for a promising future. Hopefully, he doesn't follow Eric Moore's footsteps.

Evan Moore you mean...what a waste.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah Evan Moore... and definitely a waste. He made Anthony McCoy look like Tony Gonzalez. However, McCoy did have a very nice, and quietly productive season for us least year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3vtm74n8 said:
When its all said and done McGrath could end up being a better TE than McCoy.

Hopefully, McGrath doesn't prance like a ballerina when he's put in motion.

That quirk of McCoy bugged me inexplicably.