Why are journalists able to get away with this BS?

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Brandon Browner threatens 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...on-browner-threatens-49ers-coach-jim-harbaugh

Greg Rosenthal is a freaking idiot. How do these guys get away with this crap? If BB truly threatened Harbs, both the legal community and the NFL could take action against him! Dictionary.com "to indicate impending evil or mischief. " Which of course will never happen because Harpy will never be playing wide receiver. They take the comment out of context and turn it in to something else.

A threat has to be something that may actually take place, not an "if statement."

It's no wonder that I rarely visit websites anymore, they are turning in to gossip mongers with the sorry ass sensationalism, which of course is much easier to write than say, the facts. Because the facts require research.

NFL.com needs to hire posters from seahawks.net as writers, we do a much better job and unlike hacks like Rosenthal, many of us back up our posts with facts.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah it's not cool the way they sensationalize things. Still, BB's my new hero.

kearly

Reaction score
The content of the article was just fine. It was a pretty poor choice of words for the title though. Don't be surprised if it's reworked in the next day or so when he wakes up and realizes how libelous it sounds.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Greg Rosenthal Likes to shove meat down his throat. I'm not going to lie I like to eat processed turkey and chicken on my sandwiches, but that dude likes to SHOVE MEAT DOWN HIS THROAT. Just saying, not sensationalizing. He likes to shove meat in his mouth really hard. Thanks.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
SNDavidson":j3jc242k said:
Greg Rosenthal Likes to shove meat down his throat. I'm not going to lie I like to eat processed turkey and chicken on my sandwiches, but that dude likes to SHOVE MEAT DOWN HIS THROAT. Just saying, not sensationalizing. He likes to shove meat in his mouth really hard. Thanks.
This cracked me up!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
SNDavidson":1afcdvej said:

Bravo! :lol:

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Just so everyone is clear. Headlines are usually not chosen by the writer of an article. That is up to the editor of the website or newspaper. I've read more than a few times, a writer complain about the title given to his article.

Seafan

Reaction score
Don't flatter him by calling him a journalist. He's a blogger. Anyone with an internet connection can be a blogger.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
My cousin works for a newspaper (a major metropolitan newspaper with 7 figure readership). The headlines are indeed written by copy editors and layout editors. Many times the article is changed significantly based on the raw document they submit, to try to get it to fit in a certain space. This is becoming less of an issue with everything going electronic, and I am sure the headlines are going toward being titled by the author as well. But in an actual newspaper and magazine, what they originally wrote, and what is printed is often-times unrecognizable.

I agree that calling him a journalist is a joke. He's not a journalist. How many people did he interview for this story? It looks like he just took a bunch of twitter, and other random stuff from the past while and compiled it into what he thought was a good piece of writing (but really wasn't).

The NFL just loves to have control over the content that is going out. To PUSH it on people. Their website is a bit of a joke, trying to act like they are neutral.

And for whoever mentioned the first amendment... come on. Do we really need to go down that path. Libel and slander aren't protected by the first amendment. Go yell "fire" in a theater and then claim your first amendment rights. But aside from all of that... there is still an expectation for the press to not print lies, especially when the "facts" they are using to back them up disprove the initial headline entirely. It is sensationalism, and while it is legal to an extent, it doesn't make it ethical, and it certainly doesn't make for good writing.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1sjr1sbl said:
I believe it's call the First Amendment.

I think kearly brought in an important word here,,,, libelous. Shortened legal definition; 1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/libel). So all "speech" is not protected by the constitution. Now if you want to argue why this article is not libelous by all means.

Rocket

Reaction score
Speaking of the 1st amendment, it doesn't apply to the workplace. An NFL player speaking of an NFL coach is arguably within the workplace. They also are limited by their employment contract. All legal.

Also as I've proven several times, it doesn't apply here neither. :mrgreen:

Rocket

Reaction score
It's a practical impossibility to libel or slander a celebrity. Both Browner and Harbaugh fit that description.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I really hope this isn't the beginning of the Seahawks fan base turning into a bunch of whiny 49er-and-equivalent types.

Who cares? As Kearly pointed out, the content was fine, the headline was overly dramatic. Nobody here realizes that 3/4ths of all the news you read on the entire web, including major news sites, have headlines that do the same crap?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't give a squirt about what that tool posted. We all knew someone would do it. I am actually surprised more aren't doing it, but then I remembered who the potential vic was and realized that a large group of media folk probably support the action.