Why are journalists able to get away with this BS?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • "Brandon Browner threatens 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212441/article/brandon-browner-threatens-49ers-coach-jim-harbaugh

Greg Rosenthal is a freaking idiot. How do these guys get away with this crap? If BB truly threatened Harbs, both the legal community and the NFL could take action against him! Dictionary.com "to indicate impending evil or mischief. " Which of course will never happen because Harpy will never be playing wide receiver. They take the comment out of context and turn it in to something else.

A threat has to be something that may actually take place, not an "if statement."

It's no wonder that I rarely visit websites anymore, they are turning in to gossip mongers with the sorry ass sensationalism, which of course is much easier to write than say, the facts. Because the facts require research.

NFL.com needs to hire posters from seahawks.net as writers, we do a much better job and unlike hacks like Rosenthal, many of us back up our posts with facts.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Yeah it's not cool the way they sensationalize things. Still, BB's my new hero.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• The content of the article was just fine. It was a pretty poor choice of words for the title though. Don't be surprised if it's reworked in the next day or so when he wakes up and realizes how libelous it sounds.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Greg Rosenthal Likes to shove meat down his throat. I'm not going to lie I like to eat processed turkey and chicken on my sandwiches, but that dude likes to SHOVE MEAT DOWN HIS THROAT. Just saying, not sensationalizing. He likes to shove meat in his mouth really hard. Thanks.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• I believe it's call the First Amendment.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• People are idiots.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• SNDavidson wrote:Greg Rosenthal Likes to shove meat down his throat. I'm not going to lie I like to eat processed turkey and chicken on my sandwiches, but that dude likes to SHOVE MEAT DOWN HIS THROAT. Just saying, not sensationalizing. He likes to shove meat in his mouth really hard. Thanks.

This cracked me up!
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• SNDavidson wrote:Greg Rosenthal Likes to shove meat down his throat. I'm not going to lie I like to eat processed turkey and chicken on my sandwiches, but that dude likes to SHOVE MEAT DOWN HIS THROAT. Just saying, not sensationalizing. He likes to shove meat in his mouth really hard. Thanks.

Bravo! :lol:
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• Just so everyone is clear. Headlines are usually not chosen by the writer of an article. That is up to the editor of the website or newspaper. I've read more than a few times, a writer complain about the title given to his article.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• That would have been my guess too, based on what the author actually did write.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Don't flatter him by calling him a journalist. He's a blogger. Anyone with an internet connection can be a blogger.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• My cousin works for a newspaper (a major metropolitan newspaper with 7 figure readership). The headlines are indeed written by copy editors and layout editors. Many times the article is changed significantly based on the raw document they submit, to try to get it to fit in a certain space. This is becoming less of an issue with everything going electronic, and I am sure the headlines are going toward being titled by the author as well. But in an actual newspaper and magazine, what they originally wrote, and what is printed is often-times unrecognizable.

I agree that calling him a journalist is a joke. He's not a journalist. How many people did he interview for this story? It looks like he just took a bunch of twitter, and other random stuff from the past while and compiled it into what he thought was a good piece of writing (but really wasn't).

The NFL just loves to have control over the content that is going out. To PUSH it on people. Their website is a bit of a joke, trying to act like they are neutral.

And for whoever mentioned the first amendment... come on. Do we really need to go down that path. Libel and slander aren't protected by the first amendment. Go yell "fire" in a theater and then claim your first amendment rights. But aside from all of that... there is still an expectation for the press to not print lies, especially when the "facts" they are using to back them up disprove the initial headline entirely. It is sensationalism, and while it is legal to an extent, it doesn't make it ethical, and it certainly doesn't make for good writing.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:I believe it's call the First Amendment.

I think kearly brought in an important word here,,,, libelous. Shortened legal definition; 1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/libel). So all "speech" is not protected by the constitution. Now if you want to argue why this article is not libelous by all means.
    seahawkfreak
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Speaking of the 1st amendment, it doesn't apply to the workplace. An NFL player speaking of an NFL coach is arguably within the workplace. They also are limited by their employment contract. All legal.

Also as I've proven several times, it doesn't apply here neither. :mrgreen:
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• It's a practical impossibility to libel or slander a celebrity. Both Browner and Harbaugh fit that description.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• I really hope this isn't the beginning of the Seahawks fan base turning into a bunch of whiny 49er-and-equivalent types.

Who cares? As Kearly pointed out, the content was fine, the headline was overly dramatic. Nobody here realizes that 3/4ths of all the news you read on the entire web, including major news sites, have headlines that do the same crap?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I don't give a squirt about what that tool posted. We all knew someone would do it. I am actually surprised more aren't doing it, but then I remembered who the potential vic was and realized that a large group of media folk probably support the action.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information