Sherman - most underpaid player in all of sports.

Teqneek

Reaction score
Does anyone really see the Seahawks dropping 19 million a year for one player? Regardless of how good he is? I love me some Sherman but I sure hope he isnt expecting that or the only reason hes playing like a beast. Yes we all play for a payday. But as an intelligent man from stanford he would have to know that 19 million a year would severely handicap the team

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Looks like Mike Trout of the LA Angels is the best bargain in all of sports at $27 mil, followed by Sherm at $19 mil

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
My guess is Sherman will take his pay day with whatever team ponies up and then fade into the sunset.

Being a top CB in the NFL for a prolonged period of time is almost unheard of nowadays.

A

Anonymous

RolandDeschain":15y2lq4r said:
That really pleases me. It won't when it comes time to pay Sherman, but it pleases me right now.

I was thinking the same thing.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":o3n03v1x said:
My guess is Sherman will take his pay day with whatever team ponies up and then fade into the sunset.

Being a top CB in the NFL for a prolonged period of time is almost unheard of nowadays.

I agree with this. Sherman will be an elite corner for a few more years, probably til his contract expires with you guys. I just don't see you guys paying him, with Wilson, Thomas, an Okung needing big $$.

Is he underpaid... absolutely

but he's not the most underpaid. Heck, he's not even the most underpaid on your team. He is an elite talent, but a CB doesn't compare with QB. You could make the argument that Wilson is one of the most underpaid players in sports, with Paul George, Mike Trout, Colin Kaepernick, and even JJ Watt.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Teqneek":12jz6h5w said:
Does anyone really see the Seahawks dropping 19 million a year for one player? Regardless of how good he is? I love me some Sherman but I sure hope he isnt expecting that or the only reason hes playing like a beast. Yes we all play for a payday. But as an intelligent man from stanford he would have to know that 19 million a year would severely handicap the team
Maybe if we were the Atlanta Hawks and star power had that factor at any given position.

Sherm will command big dollars, but PC JS will draft accordingly imo.

sutz

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but Niner's right. I'd say Wilson is the most under paid on the team according to his value to the team.

OP
OP
E

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Id agree with Wilson being the most underpaid player on our team because qbs make 17-22m $ now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
NinerBuff":1q2vtxg3 said:
fridayfrenzy":1q2vtxg3 said:

I agree with this. Sherman will be an elite corner for a few more years, probably til his contract expires with you guys. I just don't see you guys paying him, with Wilson, Thomas, an Okung needing big $$.

but he's not the most underpaid. Heck, he's not even the most underpaid on your team. He is an elite talent, but a CB doesn't compare with QB. You could make the argument that Wilson is one of the most underpaid players in sports, with Paul George, Mike Trout, Colin Kaepernick, and even JJ Watt.

Strongly disagree with the above comment the team would chose not to compete for Sherman's services once his deal come due. The inability to pay a valuable player on a 1st contract where they deserve to be better compensated is an unfairness in the CBA. By that time who's to say that Sherman won't want to stay right here if we can offer him a fair contract. The team would do everything reasonably possible to keep Sherman on the team. I also disagree that he will fade into the sunset after getting his payday as he has gotten better each year he's been in the league.

For sure Sherm is underpaid but so are Browner and especially Wilson who will be the most underpaid player in the league at his position if he has another good season like last year's.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Richard Sherman is charming as hell in this interview, by the way.

So if Sherm can command 6/120M with, say, 50M guaranteed and get it, we are in so much trouble when it comes to keeping him. Better win a Super Bowl here soon!

Well, that, or prepare to use our franchise tag on him repeatedly until we can figure out a deal ala Walter Jones (if I recall correctly).

NinerBuff

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1uko82fa said:
NinerBuff":1uko82fa said:
fridayfrenzy":1uko82fa said:

Strongly disagree with the above comment the team would chose not to compete for Sherman's services once his deal come due. The inability to pay a valuable player on a 1st contract where they deserve to be better compensated is an unfairness in the CBA. By that time who's to say that Sherman won't want to stay right here if we can offer him a fair contract. The team would do everything reasonably possible to keep Sherman on the team. I also disagree that he will fade into the sunset after getting his payday as he has gotten better each year he's been in the league.

For sure Sherm is underpaid but so are Browner and especially Wilson who will be the most underpaid player in the league at his position if he has another good season like last year's.

That's fair, but I don't value CBs as high as other do. I don't think it's a sustainable winning model to overpay for FAs. Now, if you can extend his contract before he qualifies for FA, then that would be the best of both worlds (you guys keep an elite talent and the team gets a team-friendly deal).

But like I said above, I see your front office prioritizing Wilson, Thomas, and Okung's deals. Now, if there's enough $$ to go around, then maybe. But also consider Clemons and Irvin (or another FA passrusher). I contend that a successful franchise spends their $$ on pass rush and signs / drafts adequate talent in the secondary. Now, you guys have a great talent in Thomas (like Reed / Polamalu) at FS is the only exception.

For instance, the Niners have had fairly marginal secondary players the last few years, but when the passrush improved in 2011, the secondary seemed to improve. Last year, the Niners' secondary ranked 4th in ypg and 7th in TDs. It's also why they didn't pay Goldson. He was a product of our excellent pass rush. Carlos Rogers was washed up and isn't great at coverage or man-to-man, yet he made his only pro-bowl here on a minimal FA deal.

The only exception is a transcendent talent like Deion Sanders, and I'm sorry if I'm not going to crown Sherman just yet.

A

Anonymous

twisted_steel2":30mtgnmd said:
Of course the quote from that article is getting a lot of attention:

Mag: Seattle has had five players suspended for PED violations since 2011. Do the Seahawks have a PED problem?
Sherman: It does seem that way. It is what it is.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations/_/ ... ed-problem

:Dunno:

Funny anything he says now gets attention. I kind of dig it.

Ok, just drop the comment section, and slowly back away...

Cracks me up some of the stuff people are saying. It's updating every few seconds.

formido

Reaction score
Teqneek":lmifdc68 said:

There's no way Seattle will pay that and there's no way Sherman will get that.

The majority sentiment says that we'll let Sherman walk. I don't think so. Part of that sentiment comes from the idea that Sherman is an egotist who puts himself above all others. I think this is a gross misreading of his personality. Also, it's contradicted by his incredibly buddy-buddy relationship with his teammates, hanging out constantly all over the country at parties, bars, and BBQs. It's contradicted by his statements that he'd rather keep the LOB together than break the bank (paraphrasing). I've noticed that folks tend to ignore statements from players even about facts or their own state of mind, as if they hadn't said them at all, but as in the case of Clemons saying he'll be back for game 1, I assume there's truth in what he says.

It will be a lot easier to draft for value at another position than to find another Sherman at one of the most important positions on the field. They'll structure the contract to get him headlines and status, but the actual terms will carry less risk than Niner fans will crow about when it happens--I will chuckle at their ignorance.

The Niners are experts at LBs. They draft and develop at an elite level. They still pay the best ones when they find them. They don't use the excuse, "Hey, we're great at this, we'll just find another!"

Teams try very hard to keep their All-Pros. Unless there's severely complicating factors, they almost always do. Seattle was the team that recognized Sherman, he was brought up by Seattle, he became a star on Seattle, Seattle rewards its own, and if Sherman is still a legit All-Pro come contract time, we'll almost certainly come to terms.

We're not talking about Dashon Goldson here. Sherman is not overrated.

kearly

Reaction score
Oh great, now Sherman's going to think he's worth $20 million (!) a year. Just what we needed, lol.

Also, what a great interview by Sherman. I hope people outside the NW start figuring out how bright he is.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
JS has said the team has a plan to re-up all the players they want to keep. I'm going to go with that until I see some evidence that they have little intent to re-up any Pro Bowl All Pro quality player they have developed regardless of who else they have to get done as well.

Although this is a discussion board there is an awful lot of hand wringing about potential contracts upcoming and how big they just may be. It is what it is and if the contracts are big the players are getting paid well because they are good.

SF is way worse cap shape than the Seahawks are at present and things will get worse for them going forward too.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
formido":o6yqb5y2 said:
Teqneek":o6yqb5y2 said:

There's no way Seattle will pay that and there's no way Sherman will get that.

The majority sentiment says that we'll let Sherman walk. I don't think so. Part of that sentiment comes from the idea that Sherman is an egotist who puts himself above all others. I think this is a gross misreading of his personality. Also, it's contradicted by his incredibly buddy-buddy relationship with his teammates, hanging out constantly all over the country at parties, bars, and BBQs. It's contradicted by his statements that he'd rather keep the LOB together than break the bank (paraphrasing). I've noticed that folks tend to ignore statements from players even about facts or their own state of mind, as if they hadn't said them at all, but as in the case of Clemons saying he'll be back for game 1, I assume there's truth in what he says.

It will be a lot easier to draft for value at another position than to find another Sherman at one of the most important positions on the field. They'll structure the contract to get him headlines and status, but the actual terms will carry less risk than Niner fans will crow about when it happens--I will chuckle at their ignorance.

The Niners are experts at LBs. They draft and develop at an elite level. They still pay the best ones when they find them. They don't use the excuse, "Hey, we're great at this, we'll just find another!"

Teams try very hard to keep their All-Pros. Unless there's severely complicating factors, they almost always do. Seattle was the team that recognized Sherman, he was brought up by Seattle, he became a star on Seattle, Seattle rewards its own, and if Sherman is still a legit All-Pro come contract time, we'll almost certainly come to terms.

We're not talking about Dashon Goldson here. Sherman is not overrated.
Agreed with everything here. Especially how wrong people are that say Sherman is like Ocho and TO and will become cancers in the lockerroom. Based on what? His affinity for trash talk?