Tjack or Quinn (Update: TJack flying in for visit)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I would take Tjack any day and twice on Sunday, if russell goes down Tjack will not lead us to a championship, nor even playoffs.
    However Brady Quinn is just plain awful, is there any question, in my opinion no.
    Also Tjack is tough, and has the respect of the locker room.
    Bring in Tavaris
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Re: Tjack or Quinn
Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:58 pm
  • Quinn has a hotter girlfriend.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:20 pm
  • I wouldn't, tjack stunk here. He had no upside.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:32 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:I would take Tjack any day and twice on Sunday, if russell goes down Tjack will not lead us to a championship, nor even playoffs.
    However Brady Quinn is just plain awful, is there any question, in my opinion no.
    Also Tjack is tough, and has the respect of the locker room.
    Bring in Tavaris

Betca Quinn knows how to use commas and periods. :ugeek:
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:33 pm
  • which ever one is willing to watch 8 hours of film a day with Russell.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:50 pm
  • I prefer both Brady Quinn(@#2) & Jerrod Johnson(@#3) to Tjack(at all lol). I believe we counted quite a coup to get a 7th from Buffalo out of him, and the QB starved Bills just released him for nothing. ‘Nuff said.
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:05 pm
  • kigenzun wrote:I prefer both Brady Quinn(@#2) & Jerrod Johnson(@#3) to Tjack(at all lol). I believe we counted quite a coup to get a 7th from Buffalo out of him, and the QB starved Bills just released him for nothing. ‘Nuff said.

Quinn over Tjack? Seriously? Go watch film of Quinn playing then come back and try to say that again.

Tjack may not be a world beater and have little upside but he's not absolutely terrible like some will have you believe, and is actually about what I would consider a good fit for RW's backup.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:08 pm
  • :domotwak: OP
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:09 pm
  • Spounge84 wrote:
    kigenzun wrote:I prefer both Brady Quinn(@#2) & Jerrod Johnson(@#3) to Tjack(at all lol). I believe we counted quite a coup to get a 7th from Buffalo out of him, and the QB starved Bills just released him for nothing. ‘Nuff said.

Quinn over Tjack? Seriously? Go watch film of Quinn playing then come back and try to say that again.

Tjack may not be a world beater and have little upside but he's not absolutely terrible like some will have you believe, and is actually about what I would consider a good fit for RW's backup.

Show me the film, I want to learn what you know.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:11 pm
  • I was so looking forward to the off-season on .Net as we finally laid to rest the endless QB debate threads, courtesy of Russell C. Wilson.

Now here we are...uggghh..

In the grand scheme of things, the back-up QB really doesn't matter much. We are a totally different offense without Wilson, regardless if it's Quinn, T Jack or any other yahoo that comes in.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:13 pm
  • ClumsyLurk wrote:I wouldn't, tjack stunk here. He had no upside.

Dude, Brady Quinn has been in the NFL 7 years. I hope you are not suggesting he still has upside. Have you read any comments from reporters about how he looks at OTAs? I have not seen one remotely positive thing about his play. He is TERRIBLE. Neither of them have upside, but give me the well respected leader who could at least win a couple of games. I don't think Quinn could do that.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:18 pm
  • TJack
    warden
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:19 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:
    ClumsyLurk wrote:I wouldn't, tjack stunk here. He had no upside.

Dude, Brady Quinn has been in the NFL 7 years. I hope you are not suggesting he still has upside. Have you read any comments from reporters about how he looks at OTAs? I have not seen one remotely positive thing about his play. He is TERRIBLE. Neither of them have upside, but give me the well respected leader who could at least win a couple of games. I don't think Quinn could do that.

I suppose you're right, I can't go back to TSack though, I'd rather give a guy who had to play 3 years in Cleveland a shot.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 pm
  • I couldn't stand Tjack or the folks who swore he'd be a starting caliber QB if he only got a million more chances. That he'll never be. But I can see Tjack going .500 in a backup role with our D, beast mode, and our weapons at WR. I don't know if I can see that out of Quinn.

I'll trust JS on this one but if we did bring in Tjack I wouldn't hate it.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 pm
  • I always enjoyed the rush of adrenaline that came from the 9 seconds of TJack being confused once his first option became unavailable. TJack was tough and had a strong arm, but I could listen to an audiobook narrated by Stephen Hawking in the time he took to get rid of the ball or pull it down.

If I had to make a choice right now, it would be TJack, but I would rather see how Quinn looks under center of this team before making that choice though.

I think back to Dilfer, who was never really much of a passer, who came in for Hass and actually produced to my surprise. Quinn is still very young and never had the luxury of playing in this offense. He had JC, Bowe and Cleveland.

That said, I have a feeling that TJack is a much better fit, especially as a backup.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:35 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    In the grand scheme of things, the back-up QB really doesn't matter much. We are a totally different offense without Wilson, regardless if it's Quinn, T Jack or any other yahoo that comes in.

This sums it up. If Flynn would have won the job, I think the Hawks would have still won games, but it would have looked a lot more traditional. Russell changed everything. This is RWs offense and it is being tailored towards his strengths.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:53 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:

This sums it up. If Flynn would have won the job, I think the Hawks would have still won games, but it would have looked a lot more traditional. Russell changed everything. This is RWs offense and it is being tailored towards his strengths.

I agree with this. RW's biggest strength is that he's very cerebral, poised, and exhibits leadership. None of these traits are strengths of TJack. TJack has had an opportunity in Seattle and he was below mediocre. Mistakes of the past should stay that way and not repeated. I hope that JS/PC understand that. TJack may be a great guy but a good football player, he is not.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 pm
  • T-Jack
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:43 pm
  • Right now I like the work ethic that has been reported about Quinn. He is supposedly a film room junkie that is willing to work his ass off and that coincides with what Pete has said they wanted in a back up. Flynn was traded not because he stunk but because he refused to accept the back up role and pitch in with the QB cause.

Beyond that I am not interested in a guy that in a perfect world scenario could go 500. I am pretty sure the way this system is designed and stacked we could ask a pretty bad QB to hand off the ball and take low risk passes but what's the point. Jackson has proven beyond any shadow of any doubt that he will never be better than a 500 QB. He has played in the most stacked systems in the NFL without ever showing any reason to think he will become anything more than a clipboard holder.

Quinn has looked pretty bad in his chances but he has been living in the opposite world of Jackson. He hasn't spent 7 years in the same system with top notch running games and elite defenses. He has been trying to tread water in systems designed for a QB to fail. Do I think he can still become a good QB? Probably not but if he is worse than Jackson, I will settle for the draft pick. No pain no gain.

If Jackson is the best we can do then we are done without Wilson anyway. At least with Quinn we have someone we know will work with Wilson and try and help the team in any way he can. The bonus is Quinn has never been in a system that didn't require the QB to be a complete stud. Even at this stage of his career there is still a possibility he could be brought along slowly and redeveloped. This system is good enough that you could dial him back and only ask him to make low risk throws for a while. Alex Smith was the epitome of this. After 7 years of failure he finally found a coach and system that took the pressure off him and made his job manageable. He actually began to develop and become the QB he was originally thought capable of. Enough so that the Niners were able to garnish two 2nd round draft picks for him.

I truly believe if Jackson were to become the starter in Buffalo, some here would be amazed at how bad a QB he really is. If he couldn't succeed in this system or the Vikings he would be absolute chopped liver in systems that require the QB to carry the team.

I have no idea if Quinn will be any better but I would much rather lose trying tan settle for mediocrity up front.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:53 pm
  • Neither. Brady Quinn is bad, really bad and TJack....been there done that and we know the results.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:00 pm
  • I just can't seem to decide.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:04 pm
  • TJack, and it ain't even close.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:09 pm
  • OMG, not this nonsense again....i thought we where finally over this Tjack craziness. The guy stinks, can't read defenses and cannot lead his wr's. He is no winner and apparently isn't even a quality backup. Johnson is twice the qb Tjack ever was, lets let this Tjack love go...it is over and i am glad he is gone.
    Steve Largent is greatest Seahawk WR of all time
    xCalibur
    NET Rookie

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:17 pm
  • The TJack lovers on this Board just won't "go away"!! My feelings would not be hurt in the least if his name never shows up here again. Let "bygones be bygones"...the fellow does not improve with age!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 pm
  • TJ no question. Dude is legit as a backup, tough as nails, earns respect, and has proven he can lead us to somewhere near a .500 record, which is as much as you can ask of a backup.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:34 pm
  • One of the reasons we love RW is because he can drive the ball, he keeps drives alive. Jackson's greatest downfall, among many, is his inability to keep the offense on the field. OK great, you don't like Quinn, me either but don't saddle us with making a choice between two losers. Why Jackson? Why not at least give us somebody that actually has an up side? Let Jackson's legacy here be dead and buried rather than making him something he is not.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 pm
  • Here is my scenario & my "proof". First: consider we were supposedly looking at Matt Scott from Arizona in the 3rd or 4th &/or BJ Daniels from South Florida in the 7th etc. Second: I consider Brady Quinn to be our 7th round backup quarterback "draftpick". Third: He's got a lot more experience than any 7th round rookie, at roughly the same price.

So watch the tape, go all the way back and look at the predraft numbers (before Cleveland & KC), and simply be glad we got him the "7th" round mix this year.

Here's what I see...

A) He's a young guy, who is a football gymrat, who comes in with Russell first thing in the morning and studies film/breaks down defenses all day everyday. Which is what Russell needs. (Not a "veteran presence" i.e. former starter, hanging around in the locker room.)

B) He's already signed by JS/PC to do exactly that. Which is what we need. (Not a bunch of backup QB BS; which is what y'all are starting.)

C) He's already trained in the West Coast Offense at a bigtime college program under an innovative NFL offensive coordinator(Weis).

D) He's accurate and can hit the passes we need from him: in the flat/slot to Harvin, over the top/seam to Miller & Willson, deep out to Sidney, bombs and slants to Golden and Baldwin.

E) He has never been on a good team, that plays WCO, with weapons this various/deadly, or a defense to back him up, to reflect accurately what he actually can do in the NFL. Instead, he was subjected to the misfortune of being drafted by Cleveland. And then thrown to the dogs behind a truly 'offensive' line in KC. On a team fit to get the #1 pick.

Let's face it, everybody sucks in Cleveland, and KC's great plan is Alex Smith, so I'll just show some of Brady Quinn's highlights from college at Notre Dame to show his potential (as a "7th round pick, already signed for the veteran minimum"), and leave it at that.

Also, I fully realize that this is not the popular opinion at this particular moment in time, but to all you living in the "Tjack was tuff and looked really cool" past. Get real. Remember Tjack holding the ball and getting 'coverage' sacked from being confused on the presnap read. Remember the Tjack interceptions. Remember Tjack losin to the Niners... :49ersmall:

So stop hatin' on Quinn. Instead, believe in the front office and embrace him. He's our new backup quarterback AND he will win us games if Russell goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgmeEH1lrE
    Last edited by kigenzun on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:53 pm
  • No, with a team this good you should expect more along the lines of Matt Cassell circa 2009. Which is why I pick neither and would rather go with Jerod Johnson. TJack had most of same team not all but quite alot ourand sucked hardcore and Brady Quinn? I would argue he isn't even NFL level but with Wilson to pattern himself after he might improve significantly, maybe.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:54 pm
  • How many wins do we get in 2011 with Brady Quinn as our starter? Do we go 7-9? I tend to doubt it. While it's nice to think of high upside back-ups, you don't get those without the additional equal if not greater risk of a far lower floor.

TJack has proven, with a Seahawks team not as good as last year's, that he can go 7-9, I'd say with the team as it stand, if Russell gets hurt, we can feel confident that we could go 50-50 on those games. That's as much as you can expect from a back-up, unless you think we can get some sort of Tom Brady franchise QB hiding in the dusk sort, I don't.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 pm
  • I don't like Quinn but we do have alot more offensive weapons than KC even though we're close in pass pro so I am not sure. Face it last our OL was bad at pass protection but I expect serious improvement based on continuity and experience both from the OL and Wilson and with Wilson tutoring Quinn he has his first chance in his career to improve
    and be an NFL quarterback so I am willing to trust the FO here.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:41 pm
  • This doesn't have to be an either/or proposition until late August. Bring him in, and let him compete. Seattle only has 3 viable QBs on the roster, and word is that Johnson has fallen behind Quinn to a notable degree. What's wrong with adding competition? Four QBs in camp is always a good idea, and Tarvaris is certainly among the best available options. If Quinn beats him out in camp/pre-season, then great. If not, we know what we're getting from Tarvaris, and it's really not that bad. He was a .500 QB in this system, and the roster is better now than it was in 2011. Look at his 2011 numbers. Not that pretty, but they were better than some guys that folks here would LOVE as back-ups to RW.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 pm
  • Whoever is better at handing off the ball to our RB gets the job.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:59 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:I couldn't stand Tjack or the folks who swore he'd be a starting caliber QB if he only got a million more chances. That he'll never be. But I can see Tjack going .500 in a backup role with our D, beast mode, and our weapons at WR. I don't know if I can see that out of Quinn.

I'll trust JS on this one but if we did bring in Tjack I wouldn't hate it.

Quarterbacking is all about handing off, making connections with the Receivers, or keeping the ball and running it yourself.
    TJ is an uncut diamond, with ONE facet, a statue, who doesn't understand what going through the progressions means, so if he didn't see his Receiver open with his 'One Read' to his right, he was burnt toast, as he does NOT know how to read Defenses.
    Put me in the stay with Quinn, or Johnson group.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm
  • I wrote a post on SDB a couple months back saying I'd trade a 7th to get T-Jack back in a heartbeat. He was a much better QB than anyone that was realistic in the 7th round of the 2013 draft, he's much better than Quinn and perhaps Johnson, and he has plenty of starting experience- pretty much all of it in Bevell's offense. He had a 93 passer rating over his last 5 starts here (which was about when he started approaching full health).

Sure, T-Jack might be a poster child for why passer rating has flaws, as he's a stiff and inconsistent. But he was decent or better in most of his games here, and every now and then he'd even flash a dominant performance (Falcons, Giants, Eagles, Rams, Chicago). He had miserable starts too, especially at the start of the 2011 season when the entire team was unspeakably terrible, but on the whole you won't find many backups who are better. And he'd be dirt cheap, too.

Also, I don't think Seattle's roster was yet ready to facilitate a mechanical QB such as Alex Smith / Colin Kaepernick / T-Jack back in 2011. But now? Definitely. T-Jack could be same ol' T-Jack in 2013 and still put up good numbers because his supporting cast will be so strong that we won't need him to do much.

Something tells me that the Seahawks won't go after him. I have a bad feeling that they are impressed with Quinn and feel somewhat committed to him. I hope I am wrong.

Oh yeah. The Bills did T-Jack dirty. Signing him to a contract extension this winter with a verbal commitment saying he was the front runner to start in 2013, only to cut him in June. Had he hit open FA, he probably would still be on a roster right now, probably our roster.
    Last edited by kearly on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm
  • I'm starting to hope Johnson wins the back up spot. Atleast I dont know anything about him, which feels good compared to these two options.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 pm
  • I'm rooting for JJ as well. Though he only threw 21 preseason passes last year, he was outstanding in all 3 of his appearances and finished the preseason with around the same passer rating the Russell Wilson did. I actually like his throwing motion - his passes arrive with touch and precision. Maybe he's ultra erratic in a larger sample, I don't know. But what little I've seen of him I think he could end up being a find. He's only a few months older than Wilson, too.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:17 pm
  • kigenzun wrote:Here is my scenario & my "proof". First: consider we were supposedly looking at Matt Scott from Arizona in the 3rd or 4th &/or BJ Daniels from South Florida in the 7th etc. Second: I consider Brady Quinn to be our 7th round backup quarterback "draftpick". Third: He's got a lot more experience than any 7th round rookie, at roughly the same price.

So watch the tape, go all the way back and look at the predraft numbers (before Cleveland & KC), and simply be glad we got him the "7th" round mix this year.

Here's what I see...

A) He's a young guy, who is a football gymrat, who comes in with Russell first thing in the morning and studies film/breaks down defenses all day everyday. Which is what Russell needs. (Not a "veteran presence" i.e. former starter, hanging around in the locker room.)

B) He's already signed by JS/PC to do exactly that. Which is what we need. (Not a bunch of backup QB BS; which is what y'all are starting.)

C) He's already trained in the West Coast Offense at a bigtime college program under an innovative NFL offensive coordinator(Weis).

D) He's accurate and can hit the passes we need from him: in the flat/slot to Harvin, over the top/seam to Miller & Willson, deep out to Sidney, bombs and slants to Golden and Baldwin.

E) He has never been on a good team, that plays WCO, with weapons this various/deadly, or a defense to back him up, to reflect accurately what he actually can do in the NFL. Instead, he was subjected to the misfortune of being drafted by Cleveland. And then thrown to the dogs behind a truly 'offensive' line in KC. On a team fit to get the #1 pick.

Let's face it, everybody sucks in Cleveland, and KC's great plan is Alex Smith, so I'll just show some of Brady Quinn's highlights from college at Notre Dame to show his potential (as a "7th round pick, already signed for the veteran minimum"), and leave it at that.

Also, I fully realize that this is not the popular opinion at this particular moment in time, but to all you living in the "Tjack was tuff and looked really cool" past. Get real. Remember Tjack holding the ball and getting 'coverage' sacked from being confused on the presnap read. Remember the Tjack interceptions. Remember Tjack losin to the Niners... :49ersmall:

So stop hatin' on Quinn. Instead, believe in the front office and embrace him. He's our new backup quarterback AND he will win us games if Russell goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgmeEH1lrE

+1
    :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:

Points A & B tip this one to BQ. Although there are bonds with TJ in the locker room (Baldwin already tweeted that it would be a good move to bring Jackson back), and many of us respect his toughness, he would be dead weight in relation to RW. BQ should be a good study buddy & sounding board for Russ.

Also, his initials are a cross between Burger King and Dairy Queen. And I will try really hard not to call him Burger Queen. Maybe.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:23 pm
  • TwilightError wrote:I'm starting to hope Johnson wins the back up spot. Atleast I dont know anything about him, which feels good compared to these two options.

This one feels better. The devil I dont know versus the two I do.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:27 pm
  • Let TJax test the market.

we know what he can do, if Quinn fails to show us anything in camp, bring in TJax.
    Stacks
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 pm
  • From a football standpoint, I'd want TJack. As Pinksheets pointed out, what he was able to do for us with a far inferior offense is exactly what you want from your backup. Add to that, the guy is highly respected in the locker room. Minutes after his release, Doug Baldwin tweeted he'd be a good addition to the club. Would be a great backup to Wilson.

But from a Seahawks.net/sports radio standpoint, I would say Quinn. Because there are far too many ignorant fans out there who hated on TJack for all the wrong reasons back when he was here. I couldn't stand it then, and rather not have to go through that again. For whatever reason, TJack is a conduit and magnet for hate and ignorance. Too bad really.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:From a football standpoint, I'd want TJack. As Pinksheets pointed out, what he was able to do for us with a far inferior offense is exactly what you want from your backup. Add to that, the guy is highly respected in the locker room. Minutes after his release, Doug Baldwin tweeted he'd be a good addition to the club. Would be a great backup to Wilson.

That far inferior had some to do with the QB position not being able to utilize his tools also. Wilson proved that. In 2011 he faced multiple back up QB's and our defense and running game padded his stats pretty heavily IMO. If not for the surrounding talent and schedule that year we would have been lucky to win 3 games. A great back up IMO would be one who is willing to work as hard as the starter and alongside the starter who knows his place in the offense and on the team. Quinn reportedly has that work ethic. Of course Baldwin supports Jackson, he was the only receiver Jackson could get the ball to.

But from a Seahawks.net/sports radio standpoint, I would say Quinn. Because there are far too many ignorant fans out there who hated on TJack for all the wrong reasons back when he was here. I couldn't stand it then, and rather not have to go through that again. For whatever reason, TJack is a conduit and magnet for hate and ignorance. Too bad really.

That door swings both ways or maybe you don't remember the Zanary's and crew. They drove the love train so wildly it provoked the non believers as much as Jackson's performance.

I wouldn't have a problem bringing him in but I highly doubt he would supplant anyone on our roster. I predicted in Dec 2011 that if we brought in a FA QB and drafted a QB that Jackson wouldn't be on our 53 and when Buffalo drafted a QB and brought in Kolb I predicted the same.

He's a nice guy with good work ethic that has hit his ceiling and anything other than a dominant team playing against a lessor opponent will result in nothing but losses. Go back in his career and find one game he carried his team to victory when the running game and defense broke down. It's not there because it has never happened. Our system is strong enough to bring the best out of a QB. If Quinn has any chance of finding his groove this is the perfect place for him to do it.

Personally I don't think we will bring him in even though it could be seen as the team really did believe he was worth the 7th rounder we scalped Buffalo for but the flip side of that is he has about zero chance of making our 53 so in the end releasing him again would look pretty bad. Better off to wish him well and hope he catches on somewhere else but don't kid yourself, there is a reason no team has snatched him up.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:10 am
  • I admire his bravery and guts. That said, he stepped into a situation that was cookie-cutter perfect and couldn't take advantage of it. Conditions were laid out for him to succeed; his former offensive coordinator, known system, solid running game and solid defense. Hass made more of an impact in an unfamiliar system, when the team was in a worse state (same W/L record with a worse team around him). He made much quicker decisions with the ball despite Jackson supposedly knowing the system better.

Regarding Doug Baldwin's opinions, I respect the hell out of him as a player, but think some of his evaluations might be just a bit biased. I have the inside line on another of his takes of one of our new players, and am anxious to see him proven wrong this season. I won't make his evaluation public, unless he does so first, but I doubt he'd do that to a team mate. Suffice to say I disagree, but will have to wait out the season to see how it shakes out.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:26 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:Hass made more of an impact in an unfamiliar system, when the team was in a worse state (same W/L record with a worse team around him).

Stop it, no he didn't he was at times worse than TJack could of ever thought of being

TJack never got blown out in Seattle, Hass got his ass handed him every other week it seemed.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:44 am
  • pinksheets wrote:TJ no question. Dude is legit as a backup, tough as nails, earns respect, and has proven he can lead us to somewhere near a .500 record, which is as much as you can ask of a backup.

I think TJack would be an excellent backup for us. He knows the offense, is familiar with most of the guys, is tough as nails, and is reportedly an outstanding guy in the locker room.

With that said, however, Quinn also gets glowing reviews for his work ethic and his team-first approach. And there's a part of me that wonders how Quinn would perform in a backup role on a team like ours. Yeah, people can point to his awful record in Cleveland and KC, but those places have been QB graveyards for the better part of a decade now. Who's to say that Quinn wouldn't be able to give us that .500 record as a backup considering the tools he'd have around him here? And if the record on the field is similar, then you ask about the other areas where the backup QB contributes. From what we're hearing, Quinn's a film junkie like Wilson is, and maybe that's an area where he could augment Wilson in a way that TJack just couldn't.

It's a tough call, imo. I don't think it's as clearly one way or the other as some folks are wanting to make it.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    HawKnPeppa wrote:Hass made more of an impact in an unfamiliar system, when the team was in a worse state (same W/L record with a worse team around him).

Stop it, no he didn't he was at times worse than TJack could of ever thought of being

TJack never got blown out in Seattle, Hass got his ass handed him every other week it seemed.

Ridiculous statement. Never noticed how filthy tj was on D.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:06 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:I admire his bravery and guts. That said, he stepped into a situation that was cookie-cutter perfect and couldn't take advantage of it. Conditions were laid out for him to succeed; his former offensive coordinator, known system, solid running game and solid defense. Hass made more of an impact in an unfamiliar system, when the team was in a worse state (same W/L record with a worse team around him). He made much quicker decisions with the ball despite Jackson supposedly knowing the system better.

Yeah, then he tore a pectoral which basically stopped him from being an effective player for about 6 games.
    We all spoke about how the team turned a corner in the second half of the season and went on a pretty decent streak.

That coincided with 2 things -

The schedule was a lot easier
    Jackson's pec started to heal and he could make the throws he was struggling with again.

Also, I'm curious as to why you consider throwing less TDs, more interceptions, more fumbles, less yards and completing a lower percentage of passes is better.
    By every single measure of a QB, Jackson did better in 2011 than Hass in 2010
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 am
  • TJ ship has passed. I have a problem with a QB that can't beat out a rook and QB-starved Arizona got rid of.
    "We have to focus with every challenge we get. The bigger, the better. The more hyped, the better. We keep doing what we're doing. Tough matchups on the road, high-profile games - we want that, we feed off that, we should be able to develop the discipline to deal with that." Pete Carroll
    Hawkfish
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:20 am
  • It's not going to happen but I woudl take TJack over Quinn.

But I'll have to see how Quinn does in pre-season. I'd be lying if I said I'd watched him play very many snaps. I just know he's been hovering somewhere between being a 2nd stringer and a 3rd stringer for a few seasons now and at least Tjack has been a starter.

Tjack isn't a great QB but with all the other components of our offense gelling in a way that you can't possibly say was remotely close at all when Tjack was here, I think he could do what you want a backup QB to do here. I can't say I know that about Quinn.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:26 am
  • I keep thinking he'd be playing. He would be a good backup, shoot.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information