how many games will Mike Carey call for us this year

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I can't shake this feeling and it is bothering me significantly.

There is at least 16 officiating crews at any one time yet Mike Carey officiated half of our east coast 10am games last year. One against Miami included a horrible call flagging Thomas for roughing the passer ended up being the difference between a win and a loss and the Chicago game where even after one of the best wins we've had in years still had people upset about the way the game was called.

The NFL also commissioned Mike Carey and crew to officiate the super bowl which would have given me nightmares had we gotten there. The paranoid side of me wonders if he was selected just in case because god knows I would have gotten an ulcer waiting for the actual game to be played. Lets not forget they had us play an early east coast playoff game against the #1 seed on our second week of travel. Seems to me that moving that to a later slot would have been pretty obvious but their didn't even appear to be any effort at all to make that happen. Do you think they would make the Packers come west and play an evening playoff game?

The NFL made zero attempt to soften our schedule by moving games out of the early time slot either while simultaneously moving the Niners difficult games to later time slots and only having them play teams that were deemed cream puffs at the time the schedule was being made.

During this offseason we have seen NFL.com repeatedly rank anything Niners above us and in some cases significantly like Jimmy at #2 and Pete at #15 or Wilson #5 out of 5 of the QB's under 25 and after having a historical rookie year and Papaki #2 even with similar team strength and only playing 10 games. Individually these are insignificant but I have yet to see NFL.com rank us or any of our players similar to ESPN or other national media sites. It really comes off as they are making their predictions from emotion and not with the information available.

Now this year we see the schedule making some pretty unbelievable moves. Giving us 5 early east coast starts against playoff teams or border line playoff teams while adjusting the Niners schedule to only have two early starts and again against the Jaguars and Bucs. Isn't the division winner suppose to have the tougher schedule? I know they can't change what teams we each play but they can make individual games easier or harder. Consider last year the Niners beat both the patriots and Packers on the east coast but both games were moved to later slots but lost to the Vikings and Rams when they had to play early games. You could also look at how slowly both us and the Niners started in our playoff games. It makes a difference and someone in here posted a while back that west coast teams traveling east in an early start have a winning percentage of 22%. That is huge.

Now Mike Carey has a proven track record that doesn't favor Seattle at all. I wish I could find the stats but I know for years when he officiates our games I have come to fully expect game changing calls to go against us and he absolutely never fails. Should we be questioning what is going on if again this year Mike and his crew are somehow calling a large number of our early east coast games?

Tell me if I'm being paranoid or is anyone else starting to connect the dots.

The Radish

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about how terrible our schedule is compared to the ninnirs. But it seems to me from what I've read we have about the same schedule they had last year including the 10am starts.

The schedule is what it is, the officials are what they are.

Also do I believe there is a feeling in the NFL offices to keep us down? No I don't, I don't think we are that important to them.

I don't know of any other way to handle it. One game at a time. If we get out to a quick start and win our first 10am game I will feel better. That's about all I can hope for right now.

:les:

bestfightstory

Reaction score
We need to win week one. We have all the time in the world to prepare in such a way as to negate the 10am start time and get the season off on the right track.

rjdriver

Reaction score
We've been screwed out of plenty of games in our history......Jets, Ravens, Stealers. This year is different. Regardless of the officiating, we have the talent, resolve, and leadership to overcome the bad calls that doomed us in years past.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The Radish":bwbhbh8q said:
I've heard a lot about how terrible our schedule is compared to the ninnirs. But it seems to me from what I've read we have about the same schedule they had last year including the 10am starts.

Also do I believe there is a feeling in the NFL offices to keep us down? No I don't, I don't think we are that important to them.

I don't know of any other way to handle it. One game at a time. If we get out to a quick start and win our first 10am game I will feel better. That's about all I can hope for right now.

Not real sure how you can say the schedules are comparable at all. Now if the if the Patriots and Packers games weren't both moved to more favorable times slots then you might have some argument but our road schedule opponent per opponent is also more difficult than the Niners was last year.

When making the schedule they knew we were facing three of last years playoff teams and moved zero out of the 10am time slot even though all three would have been good prime time games.

When making the schedule last year the Niners were scheduled to play against two teams from the playoffs the previous year and both games were moved out of the early slot. One for prime time and the other just simply moved to the 1:00 normal start time.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Pretty sure refs get their game assignments the week of the game. There's no way to know how many games, if any, Carey will do.

But this is kind of a ridiculous thread in itself.

Schedule complaints are also pretty funny in June.. for all we know the Niners will have a hellacious schedule and ours will be Charmin soft or vice versa. But this team is good enough to win 10-14 games with any schedule.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'll agree on this point: @Miami and @Chicago were probably the two worst officiated games of the year for Seattle. Green Bay was also poorly officiated, but it hurt both teams. The Chicago game, in particular, was ridiculous. The officiating would still be talked about today if we hadn't won and it didn't become RW's marquee game.

Just saying. No sour grapes here. Seattle had the opportunity to win both of those games (unlike their Super Bowl). It's just interesting that the same crew was involved in both those games.

The Radish

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3mj873rh said:
The Radish":3mj873rh said:

Not real sure how you can say the schedules are comparable at all. Now if the if the Patriots and Packers games weren't both moved to more favorable times slots then you might have some argument but our road schedule opponent per opponent is also more difficult than the Niners was last year.

When making the schedule they knew we were facing three of last years playoff teams and moved zero out of the 10am time slot even though all three would have been good prime time games.

When making the schedule last year the Niners were scheduled to play against two teams from the playoffs the previous year and both games were moved out of the early slot. One for prime time and the other just simply moved to the 1:00 normal start time.

No offense Rich, I'd never heard schedule complaints until I got involved with this site 15 years ago. I've been to many others through the years and we get the prize for whining the most about shedules and game officiating. In my opinion with the exception of the ninnirs few fan bases come close to complaining as much as we do.

To keep our SB game out of it, I don't know if we could have won that game if you took those 3 dumb looking penaltys out of it but wish we'd had the opportunity to see. But that's it. I know I can't change it and/or the other bad calls of officials. Sadly they are a part of the game we just have to live with.

I've never worried about game times tho traveled to the east coast many times in my work and for me it takes a day or so to get acclimated to going that way. Coming from east to west seems simple to me, but many have other opinions. If its really such a problem I never understood why the team leaders didn't take the team a day or so early. Yes I do understand housing an entire football team an extra night or so is very expensive, but do I frickin care? no.

If the team doesn't cry about it why are we? I know that seems simplistic to many but seems clear as a bell to me. If there is a problem fix it, if there isn't, stop talking about it.

These are things fans talk about not teams.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Rant away my friend, rant away. The Seahawks always have been, and always will be geographically challenged, not to mention being the red headed step child of the NFL. I think the powers that be have been pissed ever since Paul Allen foiled their dastardly plans to SHANGHAI our beloved Seahawks and ransom them off to the passionless Zombies that populate the LA area. And we have been a nasty thorn in their side ever since. Not only did we end up in the Superbowl, but we beat the Cinderella Saints as a lowly 7 and 9 team. How dare us!

Until we kick some ass while playing from a slight disadvantage and win the Superbowl, we will have to deal with discriminatory scheduling. But I for one relish it! To quote Jimmy's Johnson; "I wanna kick their ass!" and I want to do it while they have a perceived advantage! screw 'em Ace! And do it standing up!

To quote my hero, Russell Wilson "A hundred yards it's a hundred yards!"

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Good post ivotuk and I agree with every word. Like some I believe we have the team in place to do it, hell we almost did it last year and if the Niners had to play by the same schedule rules we did last year I have no doubt we would have gotten it done.

That's part of the frustration though. Many believe that there is no difference and the Niners had just as tough a schedule last year as we do this year. Niner fans will tell you the only reason it was close last year was because their schedule was so much more difficult while ignoring the only team they could beat at 10am was the Jets.

I think the poor breaks are going to keep on coming until we have enough support to create a national outcry like the way the media and fans screamed foul on the Packers fail mary . There was more uproar about a correct call then our 2005 super bowl. Hopefully winning a super bowl will change that but I'm not convinced.

A

Anonymous

I think the sunshine at night is messing with your head there ivo.

I like Mike Carey. He reminds me of Red Cashion in the way he says: "first doooooown!". I like it when the ref adds a little theatrics to the penalty calls. Makes the game more exciting to watch when the refs put more effort into the signals and the protocols. Its boring when they just mail it in. Carey gets into it and I like that.

Every referee is going to make bad calls once and a while and I can think of a few others that have hosed the Seahawks more than Carey over the years.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I dub this thread "Getting all lubed up for failure".

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1y2b2m3d said:
I like Mike Carey.

HoustonHawk82":1y2b2m3d said:
I can think of a few others that have hosed the Seahawks more than Carey over the years.

Really? Outside of XL.., and we've all come to know the fix was in there. What other officiating crew besides carey's has been more lopsided at calling bogus or just flat ass lame calls?

LargentFan

Reaction score
I also like Carey. I don't get too caught up in the idea that Seattle always gets robbed by the refs. Every team has fans who claim that their team has had it worse than any other when it comes to bad calls. That tells me that things are probably pretty even across the board. None of us are unbiased enough to have the ability to objectively look at this sort of thing.
I do agree that we were shafted in the super bowl, which is the worst possible time to get shafted, but other than that, I think our plight has been about the same as any other team over the last decade or so.

Also, I am not sure if it's a joke or not, but this whole concept of "the fix was in" for the super bowl is just ridiculous.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
With threads like this, it's no wonder we have the reputation of being a bunch of pissers and moaners.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1mlwu5gr said:
With threads like this, it's no wonder we have the reputation of being a bunch of pissers and moaners.

Say What?

Don't let your niner friends control you.

Hang in there or slide to the other side.

Whatzitgonnabee?