Carp is better, Walter as nickel/PR & Bowie as starting RT

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Hawknballs wrote:Its funny this is top to bottom the most talented team the Seahawks have ever fielded by an indisputable long shot but people still go out of their way to rant and rip a few guys who haven't proven themselves just yet.


    Quite true. And while the Seahawks are indisputably formidable with its base pieces, they could be crap-your-pants stellar if and when able to use its potential Cadillac pieces (such as Carpenter) who no longer need to be up on the mechanic's car lift or have otherwise turned a corner.
    February 2, 2014: The day Seahawks win their second Lombardi trophy
    (The first one is located back east somewhere.)
    User avatar
    Ruminator
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 pm


  • I don't get the lazy assertions. Sure he still looks big-- but heck so do alot of other good players in the NFL. All I know is what has been reported. From those reports we learned that A) Carpenter has spent the vast majority of the offseason in SEattle training with the Seahawks training staff.
    B) That he's had a TREMENDOUS Offseason in the weight room and is arguably the strongest player on the team-- to Which Pete Carroll has stated that he wasn't that way when he came into the program, but that he's made significant gains in the weight room this offseason.

    I'm very hopeful that Carpenter will come and be the physical force at LG that we've lacked for years. If that happens we'll have a top 5 OL and we'll have the strongest left side since Walt and Hutch, and on par with what SF has in Iupati and Staley.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2357
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


  • Treefiddy wrote: RW was running for his life most games.


    *sigh*


    No, he wasn't.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11233
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • I remember similar comments about Okung......and probably most OL in Seahawks history, or at least almost all first round OL. Players develop on their timeline, not yours.

    :229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 9899
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


  • Carpenter is a Beast. Save the hate for Moffit.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • I find it hilarious how Carp/Moffitt have become the new Okung/Unger.

    Carp is such a polarizing figure because he could either be the next Russell Okung or the next Marcus Tubbs. You've got the crowd who point to how out of shape he was when he entered the league, keep in mind his rookie season was the Lockout season so he couldn't have any contact with the team about his diet, conditioning, etc. Could he have done a little more to come in more fit, sure. Is he lazy because of that? Not necessarily. I remember when people thought Big Russ (Okung) was injury prone and lazy (remember Frank Omiyale stonewalling DeMarcus Ware in Week 2, leading some to ask if we even needed Okung at all? LOL good times), prone to false starts, and a man with especially brittle, even glass-like ankles... and now he's seemingly turned the corner *knock on wood* and is considered one of the better LT's in the game.

    Another thing about him being lazy though and why I don't necessarily agree with that label for Carp is that he worked his ass off last season to get back for that Rams game. That was pretty damn heroic, and I know that I've seen pehawk shout Carp out for that but not many have. I think it took a lot of hard work and dedication and it sucked to see his season end the way it did. However, everyone with the team (and sorry guys, love ya sick bastards, but that's really the opinion that matters here) is still very high on him and still thinks he can turn this thing around. I think he will too, and I'm pulling for him to.

    Moffitt on the other hand, I don't know who it was but someone here said the other day that he's got the personality of Robbie Tobeck and I agree and I'll also add that he's got the production of "early years" Max Unger. Remember when everyone thought Unger was an injury mess, couldn't hack it, and got ragdolled and manhandled too easily? Now look at Max! Boy he came a long way in a short time. People would love Moffitt's personality if he were an All-Pro. (actually, with the way some people feel about Sherman on here, I'm not too sure)

    My point isn't that Carp and Moffitt are guarantees to be the next Okung and Unger. It's that it's still too early to give up on either of them because they still have the talent to turn things around. All that's missing from their game is consistency and hopefully both can find it this season and elevate their games to a new level. Moffitt's probably in a fight for a roster spot this offseason, that's just the nature of this organization, but I have faith in the big guy that he'll stick and have a breakthrough season.

    Man, the competition is fierce for Official .Net Whipping Boy this offseason!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1389
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • Carp will be a excellent LG and will show it ...at least I hope so. My trepidation is the knee issues not allowing him to get into good shape.
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


  • Moffit is no Unger. Unger has never been a Moffit. People who were ever down on Unger don't understand oline play.

    As for Okung=Carpenter comparison. I can see that. But it ain't right.

    Throw in Okung=Carpenter=Tubbs=BigDumbAlbinolookingOTfromWisconsinWithaNeckConditionMcIntosh and you have a valid comparison. All were/are Beasts with all the talent and power to excel, but all suffered injuries early in their careers. I don't think it is fair to hold serious injuries against a player. Not cool.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • bestfightstory wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:
    Stoned Cold wrote:James Carpenter. Maybe it was the draft day Saban shock when he sat at Engrams table and Carpenter was selected. Maybe its because I think he's an out of shape fat bastard and I laugh when Carroll says "game shape", like Carp even remembers what that means. He looked like he was sweating signing his contract on seahawks.com he was so fat. I don't know, maybe the fact the dude is always hurt and can never achieve game shape? Maybe its because he sucked as a right tackle, as Charles Barkley would say he was TURRIBLE! I also get the impression he doesn't want it. He reminds me of another SEC guy and former Seahawk...Chris Spencer. A guy who was great in college and had all the tools but was too stupid and lazy to utilize his talent. Carp better get it together quick because I'm not so sure the Hawks will pay him 1.5 million next year to hang out at the Golden Corral.

    Rant over, done with this fool

    You and Tical have such wonderful attitudes I wonder if you're going to fall over dead in February when we win in New York?


    So you're saying our window is now open?


    It's official!
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10419
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


  • bestfightstory wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:
    Stoned Cold wrote:James Carpenter. Maybe it was the draft day Saban shock when he sat at Engrams table and Carpenter was selected. Maybe its because I think he's an out of shape fat bastard and I laugh when Carroll says "game shape", like Carp even remembers what that means. He looked like he was sweating signing his contract on seahawks.com he was so fat. I don't know, maybe the fact the dude is always hurt and can never achieve game shape? Maybe its because he sucked as a right tackle, as Charles Barkley would say he was TURRIBLE! I also get the impression he doesn't want it. He reminds me of another SEC guy and former Seahawk...Chris Spencer. A guy who was great in college and had all the tools but was too stupid and lazy to utilize his talent. Carp better get it together quick because I'm not so sure the Hawks will pay him 1.5 million next year to hang out at the Golden Corral.

    Rant over, done with this fool

    You and Tical have such wonderful attitudes I wonder if you're going to fall over dead in February when we win in New York?


    So you're saying our window is now open?



    Stop stealing my joke.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • bestfightstory wrote:Moffit is no Unger. Unger has never been a Moffit. People who were ever down on Unger don't understand oline play.

    As for Okung=Carpenter comparison. I can see that. But it ain't right.

    Throw in Okung=Carpenter=Tubbs=BigDumbAlbinolookingOTfromWisconsinWithaNeckConditionMcIntosh and you have a valid comparison. All were/are Beasts with all the talent and power to excel, but all suffered injuries early in their careers. I don't think it is fair to hold serious injuries against a player. Not cool.


    Way to bring it. Well said. Although you'll definitely be the first person I think of if Moffitt gets cut. Well, you and Moffitt's uncle, who is a really nice guy. The thing with Moffitt is, for all the talk about how he doesn't put in 110%, and doesn't take things seriously enough, he isn't an awful player. You would think that a player attempting to do this in the NFL would be broken to bits or a complete laughing stock when he's playing. Hell, he'd never see the field if he were that bad. Yet, Moffitt's play while inconsistent has been stellar at times and the offense has performed well with him in there before. Consistency is the key for John, maybe he actually does find it this year.

    Okung/Carpenter/Tubbs/McIntosh... could you imagine what an unbelievably ugly, hideous monster you'd have if those 4 melted together like the Blob or something? Christ that thing would be nasty! Like Bastion Booger meets Rocky Dennis meets Sloth meets the Toxic Avenger.

    And very true about injuries. Never cool to hold em against a dude. You know damn well having a once-promising career derailed by injuries hurts the player 234782347234 times more than it could ANY fan. No matter how passionate you are.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1389
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • I think the problem people have with Carp is that he was sold as being a starting caliber Right Tackle... and he just isn't. He looked damn good at Left Gaurd before he got hurt though. Yes a 1st round pick on a guard may have been somewhat over-priced considering the names that were still on the board when we took him; Jabal Sheard, Stephen Paea, Kyle Rudolph or Randall Cobb would have been really nice additions, there was also Dalton and Papaki left at that point too (but things worked out well for us at QB). If he can stay healthy and man that LG spot between Okung and Unger for the next 6 years, that's a bad ass left side and totally worth the pick IMO (though Sheard could have made for an awesome Leo).

    As for the other part of the OP, I would LOVE it if Thurmond was named as the starting PR. Returning kicks makes a guy so open to injury, and Tate has become such an invaluable part of the offense, I'd hate to have him out there returning kicks when we could have a sacrificial fringe player like Thurmond doing it instead. and IIRC, Thurmond's hella fast.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11192
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • I wonder how much frustration/exasperation would be directed at Moffitt's perceived ability (or lack thereof) if he had never done an interview on the RRR.

    Paul McQuistan could be rolling into the VMAC every morning dressed as Ronald McDonald for all we know.
    User avatar
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 733
    Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:21 am


  • We have a seriously good dime package
    warden
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1875
    Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:31 pm


  • NYCoug wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Moffit is no Unger. Unger has never been a Moffit. People who were ever down on Unger don't understand oline play.

    As for Okung=Carpenter comparison. I can see that. But it ain't right.

    Throw in Okung=Carpenter=Tubbs=BigDumbAlbinolookingOTfromWisconsinWithaNeckConditionMcIntosh and you have a valid comparison. All were/are Beasts with all the talent and power to excel, but all suffered injuries early in their careers. I don't think it is fair to hold serious injuries against a player. Not cool.


    Way to bring it. Well said. Although you'll definitely be the first person I think of if Moffitt gets cut. Well, you and Moffitt's uncle, who is a really nice guy. The thing with Moffitt is, for all the talk about how he doesn't put in 110%, and doesn't take things seriously enough, he isn't an awful player. You would think that a player attempting to do this in the NFL would be broken to bits or a complete laughing stock when he's playing. Hell, he'd never see the field if he were that bad. Yet, Moffitt's play while inconsistent has been stellar at times and the offense has performed well with him in there before. Consistency is the key for John, maybe he actually does find it this year.


    He isn't awful, by any stretch. I expect the guy to play in the NFL for ten years. But without improvement and consistency it won't be here.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • bestfightstory wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Moffit is no Unger. Unger has never been a Moffit. People who were ever down on Unger don't understand oline play.

    As for Okung=Carpenter comparison. I can see that. But it ain't right.

    Throw in Okung=Carpenter=Tubbs=BigDumbAlbinolookingOTfromWisconsinWithaNeckConditionMcIntosh and you have a valid comparison. All were/are Beasts with all the talent and power to excel, but all suffered injuries early in their careers. I don't think it is fair to hold serious injuries against a player. Not cool.


    Way to bring it. Well said. Although you'll definitely be the first person I think of if Moffitt gets cut. Well, you and Moffitt's uncle, who is a really nice guy. The thing with Moffitt is, for all the talk about how he doesn't put in 110%, and doesn't take things seriously enough, he isn't an awful player. You would think that a player attempting to do this in the NFL would be broken to bits or a complete laughing stock when he's playing. Hell, he'd never see the field if he were that bad. Yet, Moffitt's play while inconsistent has been stellar at times and the offense has performed well with him in there before. Consistency is the key for John, maybe he actually does find it this year.


    He isn't awful, by any stretch. I expect the guy to play in the NFL for ten years. But without improvement and consistency it won't be here.


    Can't argue with that. Not with the competitive nature of this organization or with the already existing talent on the OLine. If Moffitt slips up and Seymour proves versatile, coachable, and reliable, Moffitt could be out of town. I don't think he rides off into the sunset just yet though.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1389
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • warden wrote:We have a seriously good dime package


    Oh the potential... (if the whole secondary manage to make it through the season without injury)
    User avatar
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 733
    Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:21 am


  • NYCoug wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Moffit is no Unger. Unger has never been a Moffit. People who were ever down on Unger don't understand oline play.

    As for Okung=Carpenter comparison. I can see that. But it ain't right.

    Throw in Okung=Carpenter=Tubbs=BigDumbAlbinolookingOTfromWisconsinWithaNeckConditionMcIntosh and you have a valid comparison. All were/are Beasts with all the talent and power to excel, but all suffered injuries early in their careers. I don't think it is fair to hold serious injuries against a player. Not cool.


    Way to bring it. Well said. Although you'll definitely be the first person I think of if Moffitt gets cut. Well, you and Moffitt's uncle, who is a really nice guy. The thing with Moffitt is, for all the talk about how he doesn't put in 110%, and doesn't take things seriously enough, he isn't an awful player. You would think that a player attempting to do this in the NFL would be broken to bits or a complete laughing stock when he's playing. Hell, he'd never see the field if he were that bad. Yet, Moffitt's play while inconsistent has been stellar at times and the offense has performed well with him in there before. Consistency is the key for John, maybe he actually does find it this year.

    Okung/Carpenter/Tubbs/McIntosh... could you imagine what an unbelievably ugly, hideous monster you'd have if those 4 melted together like the Blob or something? Christ that thing would be nasty! Like Bastion Booger meets Rocky Dennis meets Sloth meets the Toxic Avenger.

    And very true about injuries. Never cool to hold em against a dude. You know damn well having a once-promising career derailed by injuries hurts the player 234782347234 times more than it could ANY fan. No matter how passionate you are.


    What amazes me is that fans think they can measure effort based on the 2mins a week he appears in the Real Rob rpt.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2901
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


  • NYCoug wrote:Okung/Carpenter/Tubbs/McIntosh... could you imagine what an unbelievably ugly, hideous monster you'd have if those 4 melted together like the Blob or something? Christ that thing would be nasty! Like Bastion Booger meets Rocky Dennis meets Sloth meets the Toxic Avenger.


    ?
    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3207
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


  • onanygivensunday wrote:To a degree, I understand Stone Cold's frustration with Carp.

    From my knothole, Carp came into rookie camp overweight and out of shape. By my estimate he came in carrying 25-30 lbs. of excess fat for a 22-y/o offensive lineman. That's on him.

    Yes, he got injured and he needed time to recover... twice. That's clearly not on him.

    My frustration starts with the fact that he still looks to be overweight. I don't see evidence of a commitment to keeping his body ready to play NFL football. That's it... there, I've had my say.

    I'm just disappointed in him thus far.


    Good thing the off season isn't over yet isn't it? Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it. I'm not worried if Carpenter looks a little on the heavy side right now. He's got a lot of work ahead of him before the start of season and an incredible team of professional trainers working with him to achieve game ready status.
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Bakergirl wrote:Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it.


    what
    Last edited by HawksFTW on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • HawksFTW wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it.


    what


    You don't read Cosmopolitan for your health tips?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14362
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • HawksFTW wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it.quote]

    what


    I'm speaking comparatively men Vs women, difference in biochemistry. What I was trying to say is, he's not a lost cause at this stage of the game. Weight loss can happen, and quickly if he puts the work in and eats the right way, and thankfully he has an army of professionals surrounding him who are trained to help him accomplish this goal.
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    HawksFTW wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it.


    what


    You don't read Cosmopolitan for your health tips?


    I only look at the pictures.

    But for real, what an odd statement above. The whole combo of women know this, actually buckling down, setting your mind to losing weight quickly, all of this stuff hurts my brain. Are men oblivious to weight loss? Do women not have the capability to lose weight if they actually buckle down and set their mind to it? So many questions unanswered.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • Bakergirl wrote:I'm speaking comparatively men Vs women, difference in biochemistry.


    What makes you think this?
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • HawksFTW wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    HawksFTW wrote:
    what


    You don't read Cosmopolitan for your health tips?


    I only look at the pictures.

    But for real, what an odd statement above. The whole combo of women know this, actually buckling down, setting your mind to losing weight quickly, all of this stuff hurts my brain. Are men oblivious to weight loss? Do women not have the capability to lose weight if they actually buckle down and set their mind to it? So many questions unanswered.


    Apparently you didn't see my other post.
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Bakergirl wrote:Apparently you didn't see my other post.


    No, I did. I responded above. What difference in "biochemistry" do you believe occurs, that makes men lose weight faster than women?
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • HawksFTW wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:I'm speaking comparatively men Vs women, difference in biochemistry.


    What makes you think this?


    Biochemistry. Difference in hormones, metabolic rate, difference in the way a woman's body is geared towards retaining weight (women are predisposed to retain weight naturally, it's the body prepping for potential children).
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Bakergirl wrote:
    HawksFTW wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:I'm speaking comparatively men Vs women, difference in biochemistry.


    What makes you think this?


    Biochemistry. Difference in hormones, metabolic rate, difference in the way a woman's body is geared towards retaining weight (women are predisposed to retain weight naturally, it's the body prepping for potential children).


    Sorry, I was really just leading you on to see what you would say. The difference in weight loss between men and women is overblown. The only real difference when it comes to weight loss specifically is muscle mass and basal metabolic rates. That being said, if a woman sets her mind to it and actually buckles down, there isn't anything stopping her from losing weight just as fast as a man. We can talk about water retention, the affinity for a female body to retain fat, etc, but those are all things that with the proper diet can be mitigated and shouldn't ultimately affect true weight loss.

    Generally what you find when people make these comparisons is that all things are not equal. An out of shape man still generally has more muscle mass than an out of shape woman. If you took a man and a woman with equal percentages of body fat, both out of shape, and put them on the same diet and exercise routine, where the caloric intake was equal for both people relative to caloric output, the difference in weight loss between the man and the woman would be almost negligible with water retention counting for most of it. While weight loss isn't my specific field of study, I have a BS in Biochem, with a PhD in Nutrition, so I do have some idea of what I am talking about.

    Anyway, ultimately, all I was trying to point out was that it was a really odd way of expressing it. Why a woman would claim to know about a men's weight loss more than a man is somewhat confusing.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • Well this thread took an interesting turn down a sidestreet...good info tho
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3207
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


  • HawksFTW wrote:
    Sorry, I was really just leading you on to see what you would say. The difference in weight loss between men and women is overblown. The only real difference when it comes to weight loss specifically is muscle mass and basal metabolic rates. That being said, if a woman sets her mind to it and actually buckles down, there isn't anything stopping her from losing weight just as fast as a man. We can talk about water retention, the affinity for a female body to retain fat, etc, but those are all things that with the proper diet can be mitigated and shouldn't ultimately affect true weight loss.

    Generally what you find when people make these comparisons is that all things are not equal. An out of shape man still generally has more muscle mass than an out of shape woman. If you took a man and a woman with equal percentages of body fat, both out of shape, and put them on the same diet and exercise routine, where the caloric intake was equal for both people relative to caloric output, the difference in weight loss between the man and the woman would be almost negligible with water retention counting for most of it. While weight loss isn't my specific field of study, I have a BS in Biochem, with a PhD in Nutrition, so I do have some idea of what I am talking about.

    Anyway, ultimately, all I was trying to point out was that it was a really odd way of expressing it. Why a woman would claim to know about a men's weight loss more than a man is somewhat confusing.


    I don't claim to know more. I was stating an opinion from my perspective and from the perspective of many of my female friends based on personal experiences. For example, a couple I know who were both overweight by a comparative amount they both went through a weight loss regimen with a personal trainer and dietitian and were very good at keeping to the program. He quite simply lost the weight faster than she did though they both put in the same effort. It took her about 3 months longer to lose the same amount of weight as he did. Caloric output aside there are differences in females versus males by way of hormones which do affect metabolism. I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about. I'm just saying there are other factors besides just calorie intake and output that can affect the rate of weight loss.

    On a side note it's great that you have that degree. Since my mom died I have been trying to figure out what to do with myself. I put my schooling on hold to care for her for the past 5 years...I'm actually looking at pursuing a degree in Exercise and Sport Science with an emphasis on Athletic training and nutrition. I would love to pick your brain some time.
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Bakergirl wrote:I don't claim to know more. I was stating an opinion from my perspective and from the perspective of many of my female friends based on personal experiences.


    Anecdotal evidence definitely has its place, just not in making definitive statements about something that can be scientifically verified.

    For example, a couple I know who were both overweight by a comparative amount they both went through a weight loss regimen with a personal trainer and dietitian and were very good at keeping to the program. He quite simply lost the weight faster than she did though they both put in the same effort. It took her about 3 months longer to lose the same amount of weight as he did.


    A couple of points: You are making qualitative statements from the outside. You have no real idea if she truly burned as many calories, despite her putting in effort. You also have no idea what their base fitness levels were, or what their basal metabolic rates were. I guarantee you there was a difference in at least one of these variables, more likely than not both. Again, anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove a point here.


    Caloric output aside there are differences in females versus males by way of hormones which do affect metabolism. I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about. I'm just saying there are other factors besides just calorie intake and output that can affect the rate of weight loss.


    Ultimately, this is incorrect. All true weight loss is simply calories in vs calories out. Water retention is more likely what you referring to, which isn't a result of caloric intake at all, and fluctuates greatly depending on lifestyle, diet, sex, etc. If that is your point, I will concede agreement. The rate at which men and women retain water is much different, and there isn't much working out can do about that. Yet at the same time, because those weight fluctuations due water retention actually average out over time, it isn't normally considered true weight loss. It is no different than a wrestler/boxer trying to make weight. There are lots of ways to trick the body into shedding water weight, but as soon as you put water back into your system, it comes right back. That doesn't actually afffect the rate at which you lose weight, is my point.

    On a side note it's great that you have that degree. Since my mom died I have been trying to figure out what to do with myself. I put my schooling on hold to care for her for the past 5 years...I'm actually looking at pursuing a degree in Exercise and Sport Science with an emphasis on Athletic training and nutrition. I would love to pick your brain some time.


    Definitely, shoot me a message I will help out as I can. I was more on the lab side of things for most of my career, and now I am a professor, so I can give you the wide view of things. I love talking about this type of stuff, and I am sorry if I came off as combative. I truly was baffled by that post, and made a quip offhandedly. You come across as intelligent, so I am sure you would do fine with any of this stuff. The only reason I commented in the first place, is because I like to correct misconceptions where I see them. I think you and I are on the same page for the most part. Cheers, I will stop hijacking this thread now.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • One thing that I believe does play into the weight loss difference is actual programming. If you are constantly dieting or starving yourself like woman tend to do more so than men, your body will actually try to store fat. Because woman more commonly diet than men when men do diet this could be one reason that men lose weight faster at least initially.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2902
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • RichNhansom wrote:One thing that I believe does play into the weight loss difference is actual programming. If you are constantly dieting or starving yourself like woman tend to do more so than men, your body will actually try to store fat. Because woman more commonly diet than men when men do diet this could be one reason that men lose weight faster at least initially.


    You have to go many consecutive days without food, on a regular basis, for that type of survival fat storage to kick in. Missing a few meals here or there, as one might do on a diet, won't affect you that way even if you are constantly dieting.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • Way to many bored people around here.
    ______________________________

    Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

    Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    User avatar
    nwgamer
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 356
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 am
    Location: Cashmere, WA


  • nwgamer wrote:Way to many bored people around here.

    "Too"... And I agree.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6816
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • -The Glove- wrote:
    nwgamer wrote:Way to many bored people around here.

    "Too"... And I agree.


    Atleast "Two"...And I agree.
    User avatar
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1809
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:09 pm
    Location: Central Washington


  • 400WattHPSHawk wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    nwgamer wrote:Way to many bored people around here.

    "Too"... And I agree.


    Atleast "Two"...And I agree.


    "At least"...And I agree.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • I think that was nwgamer's polite way of saying "For the love of God, will someone please start talking about the Seahawks again?"
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11233
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • Hahaha. "At"
    Watching Beast Mode run the ball.
    Catching a Bo Jackson baseball. Kingdome, centerfield, over the cannon.
    Jim Presley with a full count, 2 out, down by 3, bottom of the 9th Grand Slam.

    My favorite all time sports memory
    "The Seattle Seahawks are Super Bowl CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!"
    User avatar
    JaiSeaSea
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 255
    Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:32 pm


  • ...and I don't agree.
    Watching Beast Mode run the ball.
    Catching a Bo Jackson baseball. Kingdome, centerfield, over the cannon.
    Jim Presley with a full count, 2 out, down by 3, bottom of the 9th Grand Slam.

    My favorite all time sports memory
    "The Seattle Seahawks are Super Bowl CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!"
    User avatar
    JaiSeaSea
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 255
    Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:32 pm


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:I think that was nwgamer's polite way of saying "For the love of God, will someone please start talking about the Seahawks again?"


    Just over a month and training camp starts BigSky.

    We can handle it. But it's fun to have fun amirite?
    User avatar
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1809
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:09 pm
    Location: Central Washington


  • 400WattHPSHawk wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I think that was nwgamer's polite way of saying "For the love of God, will someone please start talking about the Seahawks again?"


    Just over a month and training camp starts BigSky.

    We can handle it. But it's fun to have fun amirite?



    I like you.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • -The Glove- wrote:
    Stoned Cold wrote:James Carpenter. Maybe it was the draft day Saban shock when he sat at Engrams table and Carpenter was selected. Maybe its because I think he's an out of shape fat bastard and I laugh when Carroll says "game shape", like Carp even remembers what that means. He looked like he was sweating signing his contract on seahawks.com he was so fat. I don't know, maybe the fact the dude is always hurt and can never achieve game shape? Maybe its because he sucked as a right tackle, as Charles Barkley would say he was TURRIBLE! I also get the impression he doesn't want it. He reminds me of another SEC guy and former Seahawk...Chris Spencer. A guy who was great in college and had all the tools but was too stupid and lazy to utilize his talent. Carp better get it together quick because I'm not so sure the Hawks will pay him 1.5 million next year to hang out at the Golden Corral.

    Rant over, done with this fool

    Wow. That post was ignorant. Not you. But the post.


    Yeah I was a bit drunk when I wrote that. I'm just....I don't know man. I don't think he has what it takes. I have no confidence in the guy. I think the Seahawks scrambled on that pick. In fact I know they did. They were trying to trade back and got stuck. If my memory serves they traded back already and were trying to trade back again when they took him.

    I will say this. All the people that ridiculed me for my thoughts. I wrote you down. In a year or 2 we'll see whats up lol. I got your comments archived lol. And I'll always be here if you want to ridicule me.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 255
    Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 pm


  • dunceface : haven't seen him play?
    Scottemojo: That fool shut down a healthy Justin Smith last year.
    Teqneek: I mean come on give Stonecold a break... That Alabama team was HORRIBLE... and Nick Saban is known for letting his players slack off and be severely lacking. Especially in those national championship games and senior bowls. That team couldnt run for crap over the left side could they ....
    My dog eats better looking tuds than that post
    KCHawkGirl: You and Tical have such wonderful attitudes I wonder if you're going to fall over dead in February when we win in New York?
    truehawksfan: Never type when angry.You don't make sense when doing so.
    hemunn: ...because Saban is a terrific evaluator of NFL level talent right?
    onanygivensunday, Natethegreat: GOT MY BACK, LOVE IT, DON'T LOSE YOUR BALL SACK.
    Happypuppy: Carp will be a excellent LG and will show it ...at least I hope so. My trepidation is the knee issues not allowing him to get into good shape.
    NYCoug: TLDNR, My point isn't that Carp and Moffitt are guarantees to be the next Okung and Unger. It's that it's still too early to give up on either of them because they still have the talent to turn things around. All that's missing from their game is consistency and hopefully both can find it this season and elevate their games to a new level. Moffitt's probably in a fight for a roster spot this offseason, that's just the nature of this organization, but I have faith in the big guy that he'll stick and have a breakthrough season.
    peachesenregalia: It's official!
    -The Glove- wrote: Wow. That post was ignorant. Not you. But the post.


    Keep them comming....
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 255
    Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 pm


  • I'm calling Prelag.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 18757
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Throwdown wrote:I'm calling Prelag.


    Tell me what you really think about Carpenter? Don't be a fence rider or a nothing President like Obama. Have an opinion.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 255
    Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 pm


  • Dudes a beast at LG from what we saw, that's my opinion. Remember when people were calling Okung a bust? Now they look like idiots, I think the same thing will apply to the naysayers of Carpenter.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 18757
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • dunceface wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:Okung/Carpenter/Tubbs/McIntosh... could you imagine what an unbelievably ugly, hideous monster you'd have if those 4 melted together like the Blob or something? Christ that thing would be nasty! Like Bastion Booger meets Rocky Dennis meets Sloth meets the Toxic Avenger.


    ?
    Image


    This is so many kinds of perfect that I can't even begin to describe how perfect this is, dunce. Amazing find and great job. Interesting to see the turn the thread took a little afterwards, too. .Net, always keeping me on my toes.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1389
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • Stoned Cold wrote:dunceface : haven't seen him play?
    Scottemojo: That fool shut down a healthy Justin Smith last year.
    Teqneek: I mean come on give Stonecold a break... That Alabama team was HORRIBLE... and Nick Saban is known for letting his players slack off and be severely lacking. Especially in those national championship games and senior bowls. That team couldnt run for crap over the left side could they ....
    My dog eats better looking tuds than that post
    KCHawkGirl: You and Tical have such wonderful attitudes I wonder if you're going to fall over dead in February when we win in New York?
    truehawksfan: Never type when angry.You don't make sense when doing so.
    hemunn: ...because Saban is a terrific evaluator of NFL level talent right?
    onanygivensunday, Natethegreat: GOT MY BACK, LOVE IT, DON'T LOSE YOUR BALL SACK.
    Happypuppy: Carp will be a excellent LG and will show it ...at least I hope so. My trepidation is the knee issues not allowing him to get into good shape.
    NYCoug: TLDNR, My point isn't that Carp and Moffitt are guarantees to be the next Okung and Unger. It's that it's still too early to give up on either of them because they still have the talent to turn things around. All that's missing from their game is consistency and hopefully both can find it this season and elevate their games to a new level. Moffitt's probably in a fight for a roster spot this offseason, that's just the nature of this organization, but I have faith in the big guy that he'll stick and have a breakthrough season.
    peachesenregalia: It's official!
    -The Glove- wrote: Wow. That post was ignorant. Not you. But the post.


    Keep them comming....


    good luck hunting this post down in 2 years
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2321
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Next


It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information