Never discount Shermans INTELLECT

Rocket

Reaction score
"The analysis from Fahey affirms Sherman's status as a top cornerback while acknowledging that Revis, when healthy, faced more challenging assignments. Fahey concludes by pointing to Sherman's grasp of the rulebook, noting that the cornerback shoves down opponents once the quarterback leaves the pocket.

"This may seem like a cheap move to the uninformed, but it is the smartest way to stop receivers from making big plays against you," Fahey writes. "The quickness of thought to recognize the scenario and his understanding of the rules is something that not every player possesses, even at this level."

from Sando from http://presnapreads.com/2013/05/16/rich ... e-verdict/ Good read.

pehawk

Reaction score
Wow, that is brilliant. I'm smart and I didn't even know that was legal. Now we know why Browner punked Jenning's.

OP
OP
Rocket

Rocket

Reaction score
an associated comment, which I just love, regarding Browner/Sherman...

" It’s really not fair the Seahawks have this talent level at the position."

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Rocket":27a1lkyq said:
"The analysis from Fahey affirms Sherman's status as a top cornerback while acknowledging that Revis, when healthy, faced more challenging assignments. Fahey concludes by pointing to Sherman's grasp of the rulebook, noting that the cornerback shoves down opponents once the quarterback leaves the pocket.

"This may seem like a cheap move to the uninformed, but it is the smartest way to stop receivers from making big plays against you," Fahey writes. "The quickness of thought to recognize the scenario and his understanding of the rules is something that not every player possesses, even at this level."

from Sando from http://presnapreads.com/2013/05/16/rich ... e-verdict/ Good read.
That is just awesome. Seriously I already knew he was intelligent it's pretty obvious he has a specific plan in everything he does. It shouldn't be that surprising given he is a Stanford graduate and dummies need not apply there.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Classic, Rocket, how your sig ended that last post so perfectly.

Cartire

Reaction score
i saw this a couple weeks ago, great write up. One of the best analysis of the position too. People really forget how much CB's do because they dont always see them on the screen.

Good post.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
idV9xw99lyuuV.gif

I think the play which best shows how intelligent he is is the sack he had against Mark Sanchez shown above. Danny Kelly from Field Gulls did a great writeup on his game vs the Jets.

Here is what he had to say about the play after the game on the the post game show

Paul Silvi: "When they called your number on that blitz...", but was quickly interrupted by the Seahawks' CB.

Sherman: "It wasn't a called blitz or anything. It's a coverage we have [when facing that grouping of personnel]. I'm in locked coverage on whoever is on the backside, - you know, whichever tight end is on the back side, I'm locked up with. But if he motions -- there are two tight ends - it was a two tight-end set - but, in that particular instance, they brought an extra tackle instead."

"The tight end [to my side] motioned, but the tackle there, he's not going out for a route. You know, I haven't seen this look since camp. They showed it to me one time in camp, and you know, expect me to play it when I see it. So, I saw it."

"[Afterwords], coach was like, 'man, how did you remember that?' and I was like, 'well, you told me to play it like that!'

"There's a lot of things, a lot of adjustments that you see on the line. Movements, you have to know when they're in a straight I-back set, an I-near set, an I-far set, motion the Y-tight end over the line, everyone has to know it, so it's a lot more cerebral than people think."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":sfl0hkeg said:
Wow, that is brilliant. I'm smart and I didn't even know that was legal. Now we know why Browner punked Jenning's.
I'm pretty dumb, and I knew that. I guess all those years stalking Kelly Jennings made you think cornerbacks never touch anyone.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":39pr27wm said:

This is a critical rule that most people don't know about. I yelled at a couple of clown Packers fans near me when I was at the Packers @ Seahawks game that it was legal when they booed it after it happened. Browner laying out Jennings is one of my top 5 moments of the whole year.

If the QB leaves the pocket and still has the ball behind the line, you are allowed to block (within all the normal rules of blocking) a receiver. Just be careful not to hit with your helmet or hit theirs, etc. and you can lay receivers the hell out.

I'm not trying to call you out, (seriously) but I'm surprised you didn't know about this, since you seem to have a good grasp of the game overall. It's something the vast majority of corners very rarely take advantage of; I'm sure most or all of them know about it, but the kind of skill and concentration it takes to see where the QB is, if he still has the ball, and still keep up with your guy must be the reason most corners don't do it with any sort of regularity, I think. That split second could mean the receiver's heading in a new direction and you now are late to adjust and he's 5 yards ahead of you wide open. It's potentially a very risky thing to do.

pehawk

Reaction score
Ouch, Mr Grossman, ouch.

(scott still calls Rex Grossman THE ONLY RG3).

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I flat didn't know that. And, I PLAYED CB in HS. Maybe that was because I was closer to Jennings than Browner...?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Rax is a god.

That rule is why the offensive PI in SBXL that took our first TD off the board was bullshit. QB left the pocket, DB initiated contact legally.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Strikes me as an added benefit of having big, physical CBs. Every CB in the league is probably aware of the rule, but do they have the stones to really go at a 6'4" receiver once the QB leaves the pocket? Never discount PC's intellect in regard to DB philosophy.

P.S. Sherm breaking down that Sanchez sack is amazing stuff. Thought it was a called blitz this entire time.

warden

Reaction score
The biggest asset our starting QBs possess is not coverage but the disruption they create with the bump at the line of scrimmage.

mikeak

Reaction score
There is a knowing and and there is a knowing it and acting on it. You have to be 100% sure the scenario applies and then act quickly - split second decisions. You got to be smart and always thinking to do so. That is the key point with Sherman.

Different example - tipped ball. We all know that at this point you can tackle the receivers. How often do you see it? I mean good players will take the receivers out QUICKLY if they see a tipped ball but you have microseconds to react and do something. Not time for that if you stop to think about it.......

There was one play last year with RW well behind the line of scrimage running close to the side-line and he threw the ball out-of bound. Outside the pocket no issue so instead of a loss of yards he goes back to the line of scrimmage incomplete pass. I actually believe the refs messed it up and he didn't get the incomplete or something but the point was he was thinking. So many times have I seen qb's running and stepping out of bounds where I am like "throw the ball away".....

General Manager

Reaction score
He's a budding superstar the next Ed Reed type player and the best player in our secondary.