Move Mebane to the 3-tech pos. and leave Hill at nose

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I say move Mebane if J. Hill is able to shoot the gap as good as advertised from the nose. Red pushes the pocket so that should command a double team, taking pressure off Hill setting up more 1 on 1 situations. While moving Mebane to the 3-tech position would help clog up running lanes on that side of the line while freeing up the LEO to rush the passer 1 on 1 against the left tackle. So i think this move would be in base defense not nickel situations to help with getting sacks on 1st and 2nd down.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Didn't Mora try this during the Colin Cole era? And then Pete and Quinn quickly moved Mebane back to the 1tech when they got here?

There's a reason Mebane doesn't play the 3T

Cartire

Reaction score
If we ran a traditional 3-4, then i agree. But our hybrid 4-3 demands Mebane in the 1tech. He's just too good there.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3omyeyt4 said:
Didn't Mora try this during the Colin Cole era? And then Pete and Quinn quickly moved Mebane back to the 1tech when they got here?

Those of us without short term memory loss remember this.

Hey, I'm all for ways to best utilize our guys, but why go somewhere that's been tried and didn't work well.

It's kind of the same as the whole "Move Red back to DT" meme. :34853_doh:

The thing is, just because a player looks like he should play a certain position doesn't mean he should or could.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
i just figured if they put the LEO and the pass rushing 3 tech on the same side teams would just run left. it brings balance to the D-line against the run plus i think mebane is better than A.Branch was or any other of our options on our roster right now, its a totally different roster way more talent on the defense.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd rate Hill as just barely average against the run, as a 3-tech. He doesn't have a ton of anchor or power, more of an effort guy that barely got by against college competition. As a 1-tech, he'd probably be a pretty huge step down from Mebane. No me gusta.

Sometimes effort guys turn into over-achievers (Doug Baldwin, Lofa Tatupu, Breno Giacomini, etc). That said, I'd feel a lot better about Hill if we see him in a pure run stopping role as little as possible. While it's true he played a lot of 1-tech at Penn State, he's more of a pass rusher than a run stopper, IMO.

Sac

Reaction score
Hawks46":2fpmgzfk said:
Yup, Mebane had little or no impact at the 3 tech.

I still think this was the case because Colin Cole sucked as a noise tackle. Give Mebane a role as a penetrator with a legit nose to swallow double teams and he could flourish.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sutz":3296z9aq said:
Hawkfan77":3296z9aq said:

Those of us without short term memory loss remember this.

Hey, I'm all for ways to best utilize our guys, but why go somewhere that's been tried and didn't work well.

It's kind of the same as the whole "Move Red back to DT" meme. :34853_doh:

The thing is, just because a player looks like he should play a certain position doesn't mean he should or could.

Don't look now, but the man who moved Red to DE originally is looking at moving him inside for certain situations, IE nickel, to keep him on the field as much as possible. He's a disruptor from that position when the down & distance dictates pass.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
i just thought red could command a double team possibly freeing up the nose to shoot the gap between guard and center to get penetration up the middle without the threat of a constant double team. Mebane would bring run support to the left side becuase hill can't hold up against the run on his own like mebane can while also freeing up the LEO for a 1 on 1 against the LT. In my opinion this is the best line to blitz a roaming B.Irvin or C.Avril in the SAM linebacker spot like i've heard some websites suggest.

CANHawk

Reaction score
For as big as Red is, he has no bottom end power. He's kinda top heavy. He got pushed around real bad in the middle IIRC. Red's strength is the huge reach advantage that comes from his long body which allows him to play 2 gaps against the run as a 5-tech. Bane is perfect as a 1 because he's ALL bottom end power; short and powerful. He's like a bowling ball. He draws the double team and still pushes them back. that leaves the 3 in a 1 on 1 with the G and that leaves the Leo in a 1 on 1 with the T (or forces them to keep a TE in to help, which is kind of a win in it's own right).

The way our 4-3 under front looks, the 3 tech isn't really in a position to be double teamed. 3 tech is on the G's outside shoulder, so the center isn't in a position to do anything, and if the T moves over to help, that gives the Leo (who is a fast moving murder machine by definition) a clear path to your quarterback. Teams would be opening themselves up for a world of hurt if they tried (seeing as we have the 1-tech and a stable of Leo's who demands extra attention). That's why it's been such a huge priority to get that wicked penetrating 3 tech; the scheme basically demands the Gaurd take him 1 on 1, so if we have the better athleate, we should win that battle the majority of the time.

I don't think we're really going to be able to scheme our way to better penetration, we need to put our best guys in their best positions. It all starts with Bane at 1 to draw the double team. It sets the tone for everything else.

In my opinion of course. I could be totally out to lunch...