NFL Top 100: Sherman

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
NFL Top 100: Sherman
Sun May 26, 2013 8:34 am
  • The promo for next weeks show says that Richard Sherman will fall between 50-41
    Maybe I'm a homer but I was thinking top 20 for Sherm. How far off were the voters on this one?
    I would rather have an army of Dogs led by a Pug than an army of Pugs led by a Dog. ~Napoleon
    pugs1
    NET Starter

Re: NFL Top 100: Sherman
Sun May 26, 2013 8:43 am
  • I'm fine with where Sherman's at. He only made a name for himself this past year. He'll continue climbing the charts with consistent play through the years.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 8:57 am
  • I think a lot of us are going to have problems with this list, and others like it for a few more years, just because of how young our players are. Our guys have been at this for 2-3 years for most of them.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 26, 2013 8:58 am
  • I think the one they really missed the boat on was Harvin. #90?? There are not 89 players in the league better than Harvin.

Sherman is higher than 41-50, IMO. Shutdown corners are right up there with franchise QBs and bookend tackles as "must haves" on successful teams, so his value is higher regardless of how long he has been in the league.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun May 26, 2013 9:46 am
  • I hope they get some receivers that lined up against Sherm to comment and not just random player. Imagine Steve Smith, Tom Brady or Pierre Garcon saying how they truly felt about Sherman :lol:
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 9:52 am
  • At least they're consistent with their lowball rankings that's something at least.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 am
  • This top 100 is suppose to be for the best players from last year. The problem is that the voters take a career into account.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun May 26, 2013 10:08 am
  • I can understand harvin because of injury.

However if Sherman really is that low on the list that will be a big disappointment, he was the top CB in the league last year and until revis proves he's back to his old form then Sherman is the top CB this year, and considering the importance of the position no way should he be that low.

I guess you can factor in the fact that he rubs people the wrong way, and the adderall rumors, but still, players of all people should understand the importance of being the best player at your position on the field regardless of that other junk.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 10:23 am
  • The "voters" are the players themselves, and Sherman isn't exactly held in the warmest regards by his opponent peers. Considering his talking, taunting and the PED thing, Sherman should be considered fortunate to find himself in the Top 50.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 am
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:The "voters" are the players themselves, and Sherman isn't exactly held in the warmest regards by his opponent peers. Considering his talking, taunting and the PED thing, Sherman should be considered fortunate to find himself in the Top 50.

Probably. But considering his 8 picks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 TDs, 1 sack and his off-the-charts metrics in pass defense (you know, the stuff that really matters - on field), he should be higher.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun May 26, 2013 10:32 am
  • FargoHawk wrote:This top 100 is suppose to be for the best players from last year. The problem is that the voters take a career into account.

I don't think so. It's called "Top Players of 2013".

http://www.nfl.com/top100/2013#video=0ap2000000204956

I think it's intended to be the rating heading into this season.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun May 26, 2013 10:38 am
  • You figure All-Pro status represents the top players at their respective postions, yes? Sherm should at least be in the top 30.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 11:10 am
  • Sherman SHOULD be to 20.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun May 26, 2013 11:36 am
  • It didn't say he was in this next one. It may have hinted at it, but nothing conclusive. They never give away a person in the next weeks list outright. I think he'll be in the 20's.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 11:41 am
  • The way NFLN on the reaction show states it, this is a list by players who were asked to name 20 players they would want to be on their team in 2013. Not who rated the best or who should be on the team. Just who would they pick if given a choice for top 20. So there wasn't a request to pick the top player at each position. Some could pick 20 linemen if they were inclined to.

Given that pre-requisite, this is just a subjective listing of who do you feel comfortable with as potential teammate. Sherman may or may not have ranked higher, since many players haven't gone against him and only know him through word of mouth and the Brady through possibly the Skip Bayless time frame, depending on when this poll was taken.

Old vets not on his team will see the Revis debate as disrespectful, whether he started it or not. Others will see the Brady post game comments as disrespectful and primadonna WRs are going to have grudges against him. Or maybe they don't buy into the stats and want to deflect credit for his work to the overall defense. I have heard comments from players where they say the overall defense made him appear better than he actually was. I don't buy that but players playing couch analyst have voiced this as one of the critiques against Sherman.

See Pro-Bowl snub (which most likely was influenced by the PED leak) and Sherman's rebuttal against the players who voted for the Pro-Bowl. You think there isn't some backlash to his outrage at being left off the Pro-Bowl? Not sure where he should be but time will tell. These things just remind me of an old boys network. The kiss the ring thinking people in power have vs the up and comer. Who eventually becomes part of the old boy network and practices the same type of sleight to the next guy.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sun May 26, 2013 12:03 pm
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:The "voters" are the players themselves, and Sherman isn't exactly held in the warmest regards by his opponent peers. Considering his talking, taunting and the PED thing, Sherman should be considered fortunate to find himself in the Top 50.

Bull dung, almost ALL players are out there jawing in the games to some degree or another, take for example, TOM BRADY "Come Talk To Me AFTER The Game", thus, Sherman did exactly that, with his infamous "Are You Mad Bro" quip.
    And everyone knows that Steve Smith is as quiet as a church mouse :roll:
    Truth is, almost everyone around the League wish that they had a player with Richard Sherman's get after it on their team, MOUTH AND ALL.
    Sherman backs his talk up with his play, and the players that can still perform through the distractions know that the only way to compete with him, is to maintain focus, and even then, they know that Sherman will force them to be their best.
    And the Adderall thing?, NOBODY gains a physicality 'Edge' with Adderall in their system.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 12:09 pm
  • drdiags wrote:The way NFLN on the reaction show states it, this is a list by players who were asked to name 20 players they would want to be on their team in 2013. Not who rated the best or who should be on the team. Just who would they pick if given a choice for top 20. So there wasn't a request to pick the top player at each position. Some could pick 20 linemen if they were inclined to.

Given that pre-requisite, this is just a subjective listing of who do you feel comfortable with as potential teammate. Sherman may or may not have ranked higher, since many players haven't gone against him and only know him through word of mouth and the Brady through possibly the Skip Bayless time frame, depending on when this poll was taken.

Old vets not on his team will see the Revis debate as disrespectful, whether he started it or not. Others will see the Brady post game comments as disrespectful and primadonna WRs are going to have grudges against him. Or maybe they don't buy into the stats and want to deflect credit for his work to the overall defense. I have heard comments from players where they say the overall defense made him appear better than he actually was. I don't buy that but players playing couch analyst have voiced this as one of the critiques against Sherman.
    Lots of truth :th2thumbs:
    See Pro-Bowl snub (which most likely was influenced by the PED leak) and Sherman's rebuttal against the players who voted for the Pro-Bowl. You think there isn't some backlash to his outrage at being left off the Pro-Bowl? Not sure where he should be but time will tell. These things just remind me of an old boys network. The kiss the ring thinking people in power have vs the up and comer. Who eventually becomes part of the old boy network and practices the same type of sleight to the next guy.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 1:33 pm
  • While we all know Sherman should be higher, I think this ranking is reasonable when you consider his relative youth, the PED issue, and the location of Seattle on a map.

If his 2013 matches or exceeds 2012, he'll be pushing top 15 or better next season which is where I think he really should be.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 1:51 pm
  • Popularity contest. Nothing more.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 2:55 pm
  • Unless Okung and Lynch are also appearing next week, Sherm won't be, since he is the highest rated player we have on the list.

Unger
    Harvin
    Thomas
    Wilson
    Okung
    Lynch
    Sherman
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 2:59 pm
  • Yea, nothing was mentioned of him being on next weeks. This is all speculation. Thread should be locked, or at least update the op so people dont get confused.

They just say "who will be on next weeks" and then show a bunch of random players. Sherman was shown, but will most likely not be on the list.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 4:41 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    NorthDallas40oz wrote:The "voters" are the players themselves, and Sherman isn't exactly held in the warmest regards by his opponent peers. Considering his talking, taunting and the PED thing, Sherman should be considered fortunate to find himself in the Top 50.

Bull dung, almost ALL players are out there jawing in the games to some degree or another, take for example, TOM BRADY "Come Talk To Me AFTER The Game", thus, Sherman did exactly that, with his infamous "Are You Mad Bro" quip.
    And everyone knows that Steve Smith is as quiet as a church mouse :roll:
    Truth is, almost everyone around the League wish that they had a player with Richard Sherman's get after it on their team, MOUTH AND ALL.
    Sherman backs his talk up with his play, and the players that can still perform through the distractions know that the only way to compete with him, is to maintain focus, and even then, they know that Sherman will force them to be their best.
    And the Adderall thing?, NOBODY gains a physicality 'Edge' with Adderall in their system.

It would not be a surprise if the players didn't vote Sherm super high. He didn't get the pro bowl voting either
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Sun May 26, 2013 5:27 pm
  • Not surprising. Like the pro-bowl, this list was voted on by the players and remember that Sherman was not selected to the pro-bowl last season. Seems like there are a lot of players out there who dislike Sherman and can't bring themselves to vote for him.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm
  • Cartire wrote:Yea, nothing was mentioned of him being on next weeks. This is all speculation. Thread should be locked, or at least update the op so people dont get confused.

They just say "who will be on next weeks" and then show a bunch of random players. Sherman was shown, but will most likely not be on the list.

It clearly said "See where Sherman ranks next week."
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

Mon May 27, 2013 10:36 am
  • FargoHawk wrote:This top 100 is suppose to be for the best players from last year. The problem is that the voters take a career into account.

No its not. Why do you think the list is called "Top 100 of 2013" and not "Top 100 of 2012."

If the list was for the best players in 2012 guys like Darrelle Revis wouldn't have made the list. Hell Peyton Manning was in the 40s last year and he didn't even play a down in 2011.

And Russell Okung didnt make the list. The only players we have left are Sherm and Beastmode.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Mon May 27, 2013 10:49 am
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:Popularity contest. Nothing more.

This post exactly represents my feelings on the matter.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 am
  • kearly wrote: Seems like there are a lot of players out there who dislike Sherman and can't bring themselves to vote for him.

Especially Roddy White, Greg Jennings, etc., etc....
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 am
  • I just can't wait to see the video about him.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon May 27, 2013 8:29 pm
  • Great quote from Ronde Barber talking about the CB's on the top 100 list that haven't yet been revealed.

Obviously I think Richard Sherman is number 1, that's kind of no question.
    -Ronde Barber
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Mon May 27, 2013 8:41 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:
    kearly wrote: Seems like there are a lot of players out there who dislike Sherman and can't bring themselves to vote for him.

Especially Roddy White, Greg Jennings, etc., etc....

I don't know why Jennings would have an issue with him. It was Browner that tossed him around like a ragdoll.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 am
  • If we're going only off of 1 year, I have more of an issue with Russell Wilson's #51 placement more than anything.

I guess it depends on the perspective, but someone mentioned a guy whom players would want on their team. Wilson probably leads the freakin league in intangibles and leadership, and who wouldn't want him leading their team? If it's purely on performance, I honestly can't think that 49 other guys were more important to their team, as well as 10 other QBs.

I think Harvin's ranking got hurt by his injury, and the rumor about him having a bad attitude and giving his coaches nothing but grief.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Tue May 28, 2013 9:48 am
  • if you make 1st team all pro , that means you're the best player in that position that season... i don't know the voting system for that, but that means he was one of the top 22 players in the league doesn't it.. how does that equate to 50 something?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 am
  • Just saw another promo on NFL Network for 50-41 and and it solely featured Sherm and Aldon Smith and others commenting on him so I guess that means that he will be revealed this week. Should be much higher.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information