Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Shhh... It's a secret
 Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:17 pm 
NET Veteran

The players in our secondary are ultra-talented in many ways, but how much credit does Richard, Seto and Manuel get for turning the Seahawks' secondary around? I see a lot of secondaries in the NFL loaded with talented players, but they don't create the problems Seattle's secondary does. Even when players are subbed in; such as Jeremy Lane and Jeron Johnson, they perform great and you rarely see any major breakdowns in coverage occur.

Are Kris Richard, Rocky Seto and Marquand Manuel the Seahawks best kept secret. I notice everybody raves about the players, as they should because these players are great players. I don't see anybody ever talk much about our secondary coaches, which is kind of astonishing considering two of the coaches spent most of their careers in Seattle as professional football players and coaches. Where's the love for these guys?

Post subject: Re: Shhh... It's a secret
 Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:18 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

I would include Pete to that to at least some small degree.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 pm 
* NET Moderator *

I'm pretty darn happy with all of our assistant coaches. Pete has put together a heck of a staff. (but shhh, maybe its best we keep them a secret, we don't want to lose them to other teams coordinator jobs).

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:20 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

firebee wrote:
Where's the love for these guys?

:2:

It all goes to Pete. Except when we fail at soft zone. Then the blame goes anywhere but Pete.

On edit: I see sc85sis beat me to the post imagine that. :th2thumbs:

Last edited by bestfightstory on Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 pm 
* Report Button *

Whew, I thought someone was going to tell everyone MY secret.

But, to pile on what sc85sis said, Pete knows DB's and what to do with them. I'm sure it trickles down, but Pete just has good DB's where ever he goes.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:23 pm 
* Gangnameister *

bestfightstory wrote:
firebee wrote:

It all goes to Pete. Except when we fail at soft zone. Then the blame goes anywhere but Pete.

That soft zone crap was all Gus Bradley. This season we will be implementing the "murder zone", ie anything that comes into Kam's zone will be automatically murdered.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:26 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *

CANHawk wrote:
bestfightstory wrote:
firebee wrote:

That soft zone crap was all Gus Bradley.

Of Course it was!!! Pete is such a "hands off the defense" type of coach dontcha know.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:35 pm 
NET Veteran

I think many consider the DB group to be Pete's specialty. Kind of like Cable with the OL and now Quinn with the D-Line. Still, I got a lot of love for the position coaches. I certainly wouldn't want to see them poached. To your general point, I think coaching has played a huge factor in the players' success, and I think the trust in the coaching is what allows them to take risks on some raw talent. Sherman was VERY raw as a CB in college. It's like night/day when you compare the highlights.

In regard to Gus, I remember Sherm making a random comment that the DBs didn't really work with Gus as far as specialized coaching was concerned.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:12 pm 
NET Veteran

I agree with OP but in the end of the day that's just how most things in life and especially football are. The guys on top get all the love and the assistants are usually quietly doing their jobs, day-by-day.

I'm sure most people on here couldn't even name more than 1 or 2 of our assistant coaches without looking it up, and we're presumably the most hardcore fans.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:16 pm 
* NET Moderator *

therealjohncarlson wrote:
I agree with OP but in the end of the day that's just how most things in life and especially football are. The guys on top get all the love and the assistants are usually quietly doing their jobs, day-by-day.

I'm sure most people on here couldn't even name more than 1 or 2 of our assistant coaches without looking it up, and we're presumably the most hardcore fans.

I don't think youre giving us fanatics enough credit. I know I can name all of our position coaches, and i'm sure if I can that many of our obsessed members here can as well, cuz i'm an idiot.

Post Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:18 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

your post smells like dookie.

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

First, I love that Kris Richard pronounces his last name "Ri-Shard". Second, I love that he came back to a team that he was TERRIBLE playing for and actually turned into a good coach. To me that speaks volumes of his self-confidence, because he had to know that fans wouldn't give him a very long leash after being a huge bust in the 2nd round in relatively recent memory.

I can't speak to anything other than his results as a coach, but when I see his videos at .com I am almost blown away by how good his speaking skills are. His speaking skills are on a Lawyer Milloy level, if you ever heard him in the huddle. He could be a good motivational speaker if coaching hadn't worked out for him.

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:25 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

And I'm sure you are very wrong.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:34 pm 
NET Veteran

kearly wrote:
First, I love that Kris Richard pronounces his last name "Ri-Shard". Second, I love that he came back to a team that he was TERRIBLE playing for and actually turned into a good coach. To me that speaks volumes of his self-confidence, because he had to know that fans wouldn't give him a very long leash after being a huge bust in the 2nd round in relatively recent memory.

I can't speak to anything other than his results as a coach, but when I see his videos at .com I am almost blown away by how good his speaking skills are. His speaking skills are on a Lawyer Milloy level, if you ever heard him in the huddle. He could be a good motivational speaker if coaching hadn't worked out for him.

Always seems that the marginal-to-mediocre players become the best coaches. Richard seems to have what it takes. Marquand Manual was a solid backup for us, and while playing for us, way better in coverage than the man he backed up..though that didn't take much. His smarts made up for some of his lack of physical prowess, so that might serve him well as a coach. .

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:35 pm 
* NET Alumni *

I was mad when they hired Richard, because I just thought he wasn't a good DB. How quickly I forget all of the great coaches that weren't that great at their position, and many times it is because they had gotten much further than they should have with their natural talent, and earned it with intelligence and a thorough understanding of the position. If you look at Kris Richard, he didn't have any crazy skill that would make him an NFL player. He wasn't huge, he wasn't particularly fast, he wasn't a sure tackler, he didn't cover guys like glue, he wasn't a freak of nature or anything. But he made it to the NFL. That says a lot.

When a guy makes it to the top league and doesn't have some super standout physical attribute, then you can bet that they earned it through hard work and a very strong understanding of technique and being sound on their assignments.

I think Ken Norton was a guy that had all of the physical tools and made it to the NFL because he was an athletic freak. But he became as well rounded of a linebacker as you'd see by working hard. We all knew he was going to be a great hitter. Look at his pedigree. His dad may have been the toughest man that ever lived, and Ken had that same physical build. But he also had his dad's internal drive to be GREAT.

I think both guys are great coaches, and I'm glad I was wrong when I said, "Why would you hire a guy to coach his former teammates that were all better than him? They won't listen to that guy!" I was wrong, and I don't know why I think such stupid things. Kris is a good coach, and it's obvious from watching him on the sidelines. He's very specific. He doesn't just yell at guys. He is showing them positioning, how they keep their hands, etc. Ken does very similar things as well. I think with Quinn now working with the DL, that all position groups are going to really excel, and Pete can just pull strings and not have to worry so much about technique. Should be interesting. I loved it when Pete had Lawyer Milloy running crazy blitzes all the time. Maybe he can start doing the same with Earl and Kam this season.

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:00 pm 
NET Rookie

Ken Norton was a great player for the Cowboys and the Niners.

I think pete will have a lot of input on the DB coaching side since Quinn is a D Line coach.

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:18 pm 
* NET Alumni *

I agree Norton was a great player. I was using him as a counterexample. There are those who subscribe to the theory that the greatest coaches had to be great players, and others who are just the opposite and say "Those who can't do... coach (or teach)".

Richard was a guy that I didn't think was a good enough player, so I jumped to this conclusion in my head that he couldn't be a good coach. Of course he's a good coach, and maybe that's why he made it as a player.

Norton was an exceptional player. Nearly hall of fame worthy. He also is the son of one of the most famous American athletes of this and the past generation. Norton Sr. would be a world heavyweight champion if he were in his prime right now, and nobody would even be close. Unfortunately he fought in the era of the heavyweight, and Ali, Shavers, Holmes, Foreman, Frazier, Spinks, etc. etc. were all fighting at the same time. Norton was STILL known as possibly the hardest hitter that ever lived. Everybody recognized Norton Jr. as an immense talent athletically because of who his father was, but there were questions about his ability to become "great" and something other than a "big hitter". He proved them all wrong, by becoming a great player and not just an athlete. He was an extremely intelligent player, and he has become a great coach, proving that a great player can also become a great coach.

Most great players have a difficult time being a coach, because to many of them it comes very naturally, and they say, "just do it like I did!". Anybody who watched Bill Russell try to coach the Sonics knows what I'm saying, or those who watched Magic Johnson try to coach the Lakers. It was a mess.

Norton will likely become a head coach someday, and may be the best player of his generation that will become a head coach with some staying power. Singletary was an example of a great player (probably the best at his position of that era) and he almost made it, but the player in him won out and doomed his coaching career unfortunately. He is a smart guy. He knows football. He is motivating. He was the calming influence, but also the guy who pushed everybody to be great when playing for the Bears, and he almoooooost was able to be a good head coach, but fell flat. It happens a lot. I think Norton bucks the trend and becomes a head coach someday, and a good one at that.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully I didn't further muddle issue.

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

kearly wrote:

Those that can, do. Those that can't, coach. Pete Carroll had a try out and failed to make a World Football League team in Hawaii. Richard at least made the League.

Singletary was a great player. Shite coach. All of this handpicked evidence clearly supports my suppositions as actual fact.

Post Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm 
* NET Alumni *

JSeahawks wrote:

I don't think youre giving us fanatics enough credit. I know I can name all of our position coaches, and i'm sure if I can that many of our obsessed members here can as well, cuz i'm an idiot.

What J said. You are terribly misunderestimating your fellow fans, RJC.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]