Russell's Arm Strength

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
Im wondering what ya think of Russells arm strength, is he an average middle of the league arm, or above average. I dont think he gets enough credit for his arm strength i mean that game winning TD to Sidney Rice against the patriots was thrown from the 50 all the way to the endzone and he didnt look like he put alot of strength into it. I remember Ron Jaworski gushing over Flaccos throw to Jones against Denver but he threw it from the 40 to the 20 and he had to rely wind up for it. He might not throw with the velocity that the elite arms have but he has all the range that a elite arm needs. What do ya think?

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Underrated arm strength.

The ball leaves his hands with pop, and gets to the target in a hurry and on a dime. He makes throwing a football look effortless.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Too many people confuse arm strength with trajectory. Wilson has a very, very strong arm. The thing is, the guy knows better than to just gun passes into receivers. The dude is just playing beyond his age and experience. He has actually zipped the ball on only a few occasions, he is mostly looking to protect it and allow only his receiver to catch it. First Tate grab in the GB game, the NE toss x3, the SF game he hit Baldy for another 50+ yards in the air.

If you really want to see the zip, check the Vikings TD's, there are two of them, even on the run the guy can wing a ball. Love seeing those tosses that fly 50+ yards, he makes it look easy. RW.. You are insane.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It's not the deep ball that makes or breaks NFL QBs... it's the 20-yard out that does... and Wilson throws that ball beautifully.

Russell has a better than average NFL arm... for sure.

A

Anonymous

The best thing about his deep ball?

It looks soooo effortless. Like you know if he really tried, he could through much further.

drdiags

Reaction score
The 20 yd outs he threw to Chop Chop and Tate shows how much zip he can put on the ball. Michaels called the one to Chop dangerous because if it didn't have mustard on it, would be the type that results in a pick-6. With Wilson, it wasn't even close to being in harm's way.

Not sure how he compares to other QBs but he has more than enough arm strength for what they want him to do here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
His arm strength allows him to make every NFL throw and his brain allows him to do it correctly in every situation.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Like loafoftatupu said above, Wilson can really gun the ball, but you don't always have to.

Look at 3 of Miller's TD receptions where he was in the end zone already. Russell just lofts one to him, and just drops the other two in (the 1 handed catch was a thing of beauty on both sides).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Canon. It obviously shows on the deep bombs he throws, but it's also evident in how accurate his intermediate throws are (as FieldGulls explains very well).

I don't think anyone who has followed the Seahawks for a while can dispute this. I love Hass, but I always dreamed of the Seahawks having a QB with the ability to launch it. Matt just wasn't a guy who could tilt the field on a single throw.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Wilson throws the deep ball effortlessly but what's more he has a wonderful quick release and strong hands to protect the ball. God was indeed playing Madden when he made this QB small and elusive so they can hide and with big strong hands to wing it with grace and precision.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Also a sign of his strong arm and wrist is the ability to throw hundreds of balls in practice as if they were game throws. IIRC last year Flynn injured his throwing arm during the preseason while in competition with RW AND the year before that his UW Badger competitor did the same and bowed out to have surgery. Arm of gold and balls of steel IMO.

kearly

Reaction score
I know some people like to compare RW to Felix. I never really saw it, BUT, I would compare the two as throwers. Back around 2009 or so, Felix was still hitting 98 MPH on his fastball at the time but became a much better pitcher when he started working his slower pitches more.

In a similar sense, RW has a very strong arm and shows that he's capable of dialing up some heat from time to time, but part of what makes him great as a passer is that he usually makes softer "touch" throws by choice because they are far easier for receivers to catch. Unless you HAVE to thread a needle on a throw, there really isn't any need to gun it and you'd be better off throwing with touch as much as you possibly can. Wilson understands that perfectly.

When Wilson does throw hard, I think there are at least a few QBs I'd put comfortably ahead of him (Flacco, Kaepernick, Stafford, maybe Freeman) but that added zip is worth very little. Wilson's arm is comfortably top 10, fringe top 5. I think the best comparison to Wilson's arm strength and throwing motion was in-his-prime Drew Brees.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":xueapvtm said:
In a similar sense, RW has a very strong arm and shows that he's capable of dialing up some heat from time to time, but part of what makes him great as a passer is that he usually makes softer "touch" throws by choice because they are far easier for receivers to catch. Unless you HAVE to thread a needle on a throw, there really isn't any need to gun it and you'd be better off throwing with touch as much as you possibly can. Wilson understands that perfectly.

When Wilson does throw hard, I think there are at least a few QBs I'd put comfortably ahead of him (Flacco, Kaepernick, Stafford, maybe Freeman) but that added zip is worth very little. Wilson's arm is comfortably top 10, fringe top 5. I think the best comparison to Wilson's arm strength and throwing motion was in-his-prime Drew Brees.

True. His "touch" is a very underrated aspect of his game. He routinely seems to throw a catchable ball. I think Kaepernick has a bad habit of throwing too hard on his short and intermediate throws. They're in the same range on arm strength, but Wilson is miles ahead on touch.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":208w6q8b said:
It's not the deep ball that makes or breaks NFL QBs... it's the 20-yard out that does... and Wilson throws that ball beautifully.

Russell has a better than average NFL arm... for sure.

this is 100% correct. in the leauge this is known as "the throw". its a requirement to succeed in the NFL.

chris98251

Reaction score
God where is Hass at, one year playing and our own fans are raising Wilson arm strength questions, some people need to go out and see what walks into a Walmart and ask if some of the patrons are mating with 4 legged animals for a off season distraction.

Brahn

Reaction score
Hass is atm the greatest QB Hawks have ever had, with that said he is not in the top 5 when it comes to Big Arms the Hawks have had.