Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence, here is why;

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • He has his own work out program at home that helps with his back, he was seen stopping by the VMAC and was in great shape from what Pete had said. Find some 49er issue to talk about and quit stirring up trouble we don't need here.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Yah, I am not worried about Marshawn. He is as tough as nails and bleeds the Seahawks Blue.

Besides my adopt a rookie has his back.....
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• I love marshawn and I guess its none of my bees wax but when I see him likin pics on Instagram of babes smokin the reefer at 2:00pm in the afternoon when the team is practicing kind of makes me wonder...
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

• It's not that I'm worried about him or his absence impacting his season at all, but it still just doesn't sit quite right with me. He is the only healthy player on the team not there. Why not spend time with the team? Even if he takes zero reps in practice. Even if he showed for OTAs, there would be plenty of time for his workout routine down in the Bay or wherever he is.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• When he starts missing the required ones then I'll worry.

You kiddies have not enough to do. Lets save his back as much as we can so we can be sure and get 2-3 more years out of him.

:141847_bnono:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• MoneyLynch24 wrote:http://youtu.be/uhuuHxmkRgA

Look at this beast - Just doing the numbers here - I think this is working out with about 250-275 lbs - assuming those big ones are 45's. They might be more!

nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

• The inner look to be rubberized, so three plates per side plus the bar would be 315.

(Typically big plates are 20 kg or 45 lb, same for the bar.)

If that's a weight he is routinely working out with, his max is probably approaching 400, at least 375.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• Beast doesn't like talking to the media, and with the DUI hanging over his head, I think he's just avoiding the circus.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• Maybe a small part of it has to do with him having a hearing about his DUI scheduled for yesterday (although it was moved to July). Probably would've been easier to just stay in the area. This doesn't really bother me anyway though. From what Pete said, it sounds like he's in better shape than ever.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• jlwaters1 wrote:I actually LIKE that he's not here. WHy you ask? Because Having Marshawn here won't depreciably make him better. He's coming off a career year. However, by not being here it gives Turbin, Michael, and Ware a ton of reps. Alot more reps than what they would get if Lynch were here.

What this does is speed up the progression of these players. In affect your raising the floor of these players and accelerating the learning process for the 2 rookies as they are taking more and reps.

IMO this will actually make for a more deep RB corps as they should and grow with the extra reps making them more likely to contribute at a higher level than if he were here. So to me, it's strengthening the depth with him gone and I'm fine with that.

You lost me at 'won't DEPRECIABLY make him better' SMH LMAO

Y'all are missing the point. It's not about making Lynch better. It's about him setting the example as a vet, and as one of the main faces of this team. SHOW the work ethic and importance of team unity.

Could very well be that he's maintaining a low profile because of the DUI, but I'd sure love to hear he was at OTAs.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• nsport wrote:
    MoneyLynch24 wrote:http://youtu.be/uhuuHxmkRgA

Look at this beast - Just doing the numbers here - I think this is working out with about 250-275 lbs - assuming those big ones are 45's. They might be more!

Those look like hundreds on the inside. Which would make it 535 pounds....probably maxing out.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

• I have a feeling Beast is just preparing to unleash. He's pissed about not being able to generate contact outside the tackles with his head down, so he is going to take it out on the DL.

OTA's are probably just a distraction to his intense focus on preparation to pound the rock in 2013. He is the nastiest of the nasty when it comes to running with contact.

I will be concerned if he doesn't show up to the mandatory stuff.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Take a :229031_chillpill:
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran

• I just watched a little of the Minny game to get a look at RW and I couldn't help but notice Lynch. That is a hard hitting defense in Minny and Lynch just kept bringing it. They started out hitting him pretty hard, even standing him up after popping loose, but in the end, the results are the same. 4 tacklers bringing him down, being dragged around for yards.

No worries here.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Lynch will miss the preseason games too.

It doesn't affect the price of tea in china.
    Beeker
    NET Rookie

• Beeker wrote:Lynch will miss the preseason games too.

I'd guess that he plays in a couple of games.....maybe a first half or so. Most likely skips the Oakland game. He knows that a RB hits the "wall" at age thirty, so he wants to maximize his play during the Regular season in the next few years. His age is listed at 27, so he has 3 - 4 years left. I'm amazed at how "injury proof" he seems to be!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• - Marshawn suffers serious injury during OTAs -

WHY WAS MARSHAWN EVEN PRACTICING AT THE OTAS?!?!?!!

I want this guy making as few cuts and taking as little contact through the entire offseason and preseason as possible. He's a proven commodity with a timer ticking down.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:I actually LIKE that he's not here. WHy you ask? Because Having Marshawn here won't depreciably make him better. He's coming off a career year. However, by not being here it gives Turbin, Michael, and Ware a ton of reps. Alot more reps than what they would get if Lynch were here.

What this does is speed up the progression of these players. In affect your raising the floor of these players and accelerating the learning process for the 2 rookies as they are taking more and reps.

IMO this will actually make for a more deep RB corps as they should and grow with the extra reps making them more likely to contribute at a higher level than if he were here. So to me, it's strengthening the depth with him gone and I'm fine with that.

:13:

:13: I'm with these guys. Let Marshawn rest up and train on his own if he wants. Give the young guys the reps.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:I actually LIKE that he's not here. WHy you ask? Because Having Marshawn here won't depreciably make him better. He's coming off a career year. However, by not being here it gives Turbin, Michael, and Ware a ton of reps. Alot more reps than what they would get if Lynch were here.

:13:

:13: I'm with these guys. Let Marshawn rest up and train on his own if he wants. Give the young guys the reps.

:13: Me too, please.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• The only veteran leadership your going to get out of Marshawn is on Sundays. Hopefully everyone else sees how he plays hard on every down regardless of the score. To me that goes why farther the showing up at OTA's. Sure it would be nice if he showed up and was a bigger part of the team, but I just don't see him as that guy. Now Russell Wilson, he's that guy.
    Last edited by getnasty on Sat May 25, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• OMG, such a non issue. Like everyone else said; it's just about mileage.

Oh and Indy sucked. I don't want us to look like that bunch of fricken daisies.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Pretty much just here to Echo what everyone else has said. Lynch has entered the Prime years for RB's. He understands how to read defenses and how to run hard. Any further tear on his body during these voluntary workouts adds nothing to the process.

He's been a beast since hes been here, no reason to fix what isnt broken.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• bestfightstory wrote:You don't tell Marshawn what to do. He thinks outside the cage.

Outside the cage.
    Brilliant.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• hedgehawk wrote:
    nsport wrote:
    MoneyLynch24 wrote:http://youtu.be/uhuuHxmkRgA

Those look like hundreds on the inside. Which would make it 535 pounds....probably maxing out.

I could squat at least half of that.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• getnasty wrote:The only veteran leadership your going to get out of Marshawn is on Sundays. Hopefully everyone else sees how he play hard on every down regardless of the score. To me that goes why farther the showing up at OTA's. Sure it would be nice if he showed up and was a bigger part of the team, but I just don't see him as that guy. Now Russell Wilson, he's that guy.

Yep, "it his what it is" and he's not likely to change giving his history. However, I'm also of the same mindset Brock Huard is. When EVERYBODY on the team shows for voluntary OTAs except ONE person, something 'doesn't smell right.' I don't care how much that player contributes. The hardest working 'noTime2Sleep' mofo shows up, as does Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Sidney Rice, BamBam (note, he has a big contract too), Golden Tate, BB, DB, Zack Taylor..etc. If nobody feels any one of those guys are as important to the team as Lynch, then their collective contributions certainly trump his.

The team's gonna treat him right, just as they nursed his back through the practices last season. His presence alone is what matters most at this point.

Exit soap box, stage right.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Call me old fashioned, (and yes, it's no problem if you do) but I think a player should show up for ANY team activity regardless of how trivial.

Do you really think Steve Largent thought it was above him to participate in OTAs?

It's not about if the player needs the work, it's about leadership and comradery. I think someone of high character gets that naturally. (*cough* Russell Wilson *cough*)

I don't argue that Lynch is a productive, high impact player (and that may be the bottom line for many and I truly get that) but to me his character is in question and yeah, that bugs me a bit.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• At his age and experience, the position he plays and his lingering back, I have no issue with it. He isn't the Mike Rob rahrah vocal guy. As far as the Earls and Russels, they are younger and the leaders. As much of a talent Marshawn is I don't think he is neccessarily looked to as a leader.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Missing_Clink wrote:It's not that I'm worried about him or his absence impacting his season at all, but it still just doesn't sit quite right with me. He is the only healthy player on the team not there. Why not spend time with the team? Even if he takes zero reps in practice. Even if he showed for OTAs, there would be plenty of time for his workout routine down in the Bay or wherever he is.

Traveling back and forth?
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Bigpumpkin wrote:
    Beeker wrote:Lynch will miss the preseason games too.

I'd guess that he plays in a couple of games.....maybe a first half or so. Most likely skips the Oakland game. He knows that a RB hits the "wall" at age thirty, so he wants to maximize his play during the Regular season in the next few years. His age is listed at 27, so he has 3 - 4 years left. I'm amazed at how "injury proof" he seems to be!

While 30 is the age he's gotten a lot of touches the last few years then you factor in playoffs. He also left college early so he started playing at 21 and so I think it will be wise to manage his mileage.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:At his age and experience, the position he plays and his lingering back, I have no issue with it. He isn't the Mike Rob rahrah vocal guy. As far as the Earls and Russels, they are younger and the leaders. As much of a talent Marshawn is I don't think he is neccessarily looked to as a leader.

Nail on Head
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• I don't think Marhawn or anyone else on the team is looking at it like he feels he's above the team to show up for OTAs. With his back issues,maybe he needs a more specialized training regimen that can't be provided at OTAs. It's not like he's on vacation...he's down in Cali with his own trainer busting his ass preparing just as hard as anyone else. Plus he still makes the trip up to Seattle to check in and stay updated with the team.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I don't even care if he shows up for training camp. Be there for the 3rd preseason game ready to roll and i'm good.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• uploadfromtaptalk1369772255798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369772255798.jpg (124.26 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Glad he finally realized he was not above the team to show up for OTAs :sarcasm off
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I wish I wouldn't have said I was worried about the beast. Beast is a mysterious creature and will do what he wants. He'll be fine.
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

• He's baaaaaacccccckkkkk
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Sometimes following sports makes me wonder about my masculinity. Good thing I am closer to death so I don't have to live long without any pride.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Well that seemed much ado about nothing.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, pretty obvious he was staying in Oaktown dealing with the DUI crap, and once it was clear that nothing was happening any time soon on that front, he packed his bags and headed north.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    uploadfromtaptalk1369772255798.jpg

Glad he finally realized he was not above the team to show up for OTAs :sarcasm off

I have those socks in two different colors.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I can't even get sort of worried about Lynch missing a couple practices. He does what he needs to do on game day, that's what matters.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information