Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence, here is why;

xCalibur

Reaction score
I love beast mode just as much as the next guy. But i already had a problem with him being a no show at OTA's...here are a few really good reasons why:

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2280070/Taki ... TA-absence

Also, this about this:

"There was a reason Indianapolis won 12 games a year for a decade. Peyton Manning set the tone, but Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison didn't miss minicamps or OTAs. When an organization's best and most talented players invest more than anyone else, results tend to follow. "

this came from this good article on RW:
http://mynorthwest.com/292/2278469/Russ ... servations

City

Reaction score
Marshawn has come into training camp in better shape the the year before for two straight years. Whatever he's doing down there in Cali, it's working. As for Harrison and James, they have 1 Superbowl between the two of them.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Marshawn marches to the beat of his own drum.

I'm not concerned.

The team's leader is there and that by far trumps Marshawn not being there.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Total non-issue for me. This is the one guy I give a pass to on practices and off-season work. He is the guy that sets the tone on the field. No one plays harder on game day, and this guy puts his career on the line every time he touches the ball. He never gives up an inch. As long as he keeps coming to mandatory camps in shape, which he has for the last couple years, then he can train any way and anywhere he pleases.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
City":3a3wsxy4 said:
Marshawn has come into training camp in better shape the the year before for two straight years. Whatever he's doing down there in Cali, it's working. As for Harrison and James, they have 1 Superbowl between the two of them.

Exactly. Plus you look at players like Walter Jones who knew exactly what he needed to do to get himself in prime playing shape no matter what the circumstances. Pushing Escalades in AL while holding out for a new contract--how many times the first season he held out of camp did we fans scream bloody murder that he was not going to be on the same page with the rest of the line, or an injury risk?

Big Walt proved that he could come in 100% ready to go at the first snap with zero issues. And I believe Marshawn is the same way.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Marshawn knows his role, and is ALWAYS ready for the season.

Also, I'd rather the Seahawks not be anything like Indy...not enough playoff wins and/or championships.

[youtube]LbwgmB1PVsM[/youtube]

Beast can do what he wants (as long as he gets work done)!

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Not concerned as long as he's working out somewhere. Big Walt did this for years.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
I would be worried if he had a higher ceiling that was at risk by him not being here. I think with Lynch, not much more would be gained by coming to the voluntary practices. He just seems to be one of those guys that just needs a few practices and a preseason game or two to get back to game form. I saw a video of PC trying to coach him up on the sideline and Lynch was just politely letting Pete know that he knew exactly what to do. This also gives the rooks a chance to show what they got.

MoneyLynch24

Reaction score
Marshawn actually works with the same trainer I used to work with. His name is Jamal Liggin and is from Oakland as well, but has relocated to the LA area. There's actually a clip of him working out with him on YouTube, I'll try finding the link.

But this trainer is the real deal and specializes in speed and agility training. I'm 100% certain Marshawn is handling this DUI, which was today, and also working out here in Oakland/LA. Marshawn will show up ready, and in shape.

Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/uhuuHxmkRgA

sturg78

Reaction score
Isn't there a chance Lynch is going to be suspended for a few games? If so, I'm happy Turbin and the new RBs are all getting more reps.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
When Marshawn's back magically heals, then I'll complain that he's not heaping more punishment on his body.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, if his DUI really was today, it would be less of a distraction to the team for Lynch to stay down there and train and take care of it, instead of coming up to OTA's, then leaving to go take care of his DUI, then coming back.

His dediction to this team hasn't been quesitoned the last 2 years by anybody, so I'm ok with it.

Besides, looks like Michael is always on the sidelines icing hamstrings per Brock on one of the above links. Sounds like he needs to get into better football shape, so maybe the increased reps will help him and Turbo.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Much ado...didn't he miss them last year as well? He's doing an intense program in Cali, according to PC, and it works for him. If it ain't broke...

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
How did Edge do with Arizon, did he attend the OTA's there? I haven't a clue, but I think this worry about shawn at OTA's is just a bit chicken little.

The guy ran for 1700 something last year, don't runners typically need a bit of a break after taking those beatings? Edge doesn't count cos Peyton was the offense (imo) nowhere near what we expect from Shawn.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I actually LIKE that he's not here. WHy you ask? Because Having Marshawn here won't depreciably make him better. He's coming off a career year. However, by not being here it gives Turbin, Michael, and Ware a ton of reps. Alot more reps than what they would get if Lynch were here.

What this does is speed up the progression of these players. In affect your raising the floor of these players and accelerating the learning process for the 2 rookies as they are taking more and reps.

IMO this will actually make for a more deep RB corps as they should and grow with the extra reps making them more likely to contribute at a higher level than if he were here. So to me, it's strengthening the depth with him gone and I'm fine with that.

kearly

Reaction score
jlwaters1":4bmwdcov said:
I actually LIKE that he's not here. WHy you ask? Because Having Marshawn here won't depreciably make him better. He's coming off a career year. However, by not being here it gives Turbin, Michael, and Ware a ton of reps. Alot more reps than what they would get if Lynch were here.

What this does is speed up the progression of these players. In affect your raising the floor of these players and accelerating the learning process for the 2 rookies as they are taking more and reps.

IMO this will actually make for a more deep RB corps as they should and grow with the extra reps making them more likely to contribute at a higher level than if he were here. So to me, it's strengthening the depth with him gone and I'm fine with that.

:13:

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawks46":2a0rdwbw said:
Well, if his DUI really was today, it would be less of a distraction to the team for Lynch to stay down there and train and take care of it, instead of coming up to OTA's, then leaving to go take care of his DUI, then coming back.

His dediction to this team hasn't been quesitoned the last 2 years by anybody, so I'm ok with it.

Besides, looks like Michael is always on the sidelines icing hamstrings per Brock on one of the above links. Sounds like he needs to get into better football shape, so maybe the increased reps will help him and Turbo.

His DUI hearing on motion to suppress was yesterday, but it got continued to July with no new trial date set.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch gives us everything he's got, on every single down, in every single game, regardless of the score and how much time may be left. Even regardless of whether he's battling through injurys. I could give a crap less if he misses some OTA's because I've never seen a Seahawk battle so hard on the field as Marshawn does.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Look Huard, bringing up the Michael Crabtree injury as an example of a player showing up for VOLUNTARY practice is a dumb point of reasoning, because I would be livid as hell if Marshawn VOLUNTEERED to come to the OTA, and then bunged himself up UNECCESARILY.
The Seahawks biggest concern with Marshawn should be keeping him healthy, and not having him get all banged up in non-game workouts.
You can't practice what he does in OTAs, because the punishment he takes while in regular Season games, can be scripted.
IF you want the other RBs to benefit from what Marshawn can teach them to do, there is plenty of game film that could be viewed.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
You don't tell Marshawn what to do. He thinks outside the cage. He is a Beast with no master.

Nice try, though.