CBA really limits Pete and co.

sc85sis

Reaction score
There has been a fair amount of discussion about Pete and the team not being disciplined enough with players. One of the primary issues is that the current CBA really limits what the team can do by way of punishment. Here's a good article I just found that spells it out, especially with regard to the substance/PED issues:

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/5/29 ... sciplining

Edited to add: If you're inclined to read through the actual CBA, it's available at http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/201 ... df#page195.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Here is my question. Why was there multiple media sites saying that the Seahawks could be punished financially because of all of the incidents that it has had since, I believe 2011? http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92973 ... tiple-bans (for one of them). It was one of the top talking points yesterday. I was on the fence whether it was fair or not if the team should be punished but now I have changed my mind. Unless the league thinks that the coaches are pushing PEDs,,, then there should be an investigation not just fines. Other wise the media should smarten up ( I know not likely) Great post, thank you

kf3339

Reaction score
I have been reading all of the threads and points of view without a single comment. To me it just didn't warrant the effort.

But I have been thinking that perhaps the problem is not the coaches, upper management or in some ways even the players that have made mistakes. Perhaps the problem is that we have been so willing to go really young and get rid of nearly all of our veteran players that we don't have those guys here to influence these young guys decisions. If this continues to be our direction as a franchise and stay young at all costs then we may be seeing this issue play out for a very long time. I hope that's not the case, but it's a consideration for me.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That's actually a pretty insightful take, kf3339.

There's been a lot of QBs (Michael Vick comes to mind) that came into the league and ended up not doing well. When asked about it, some mentioned (Vick again) that there wasn't a veteran to give them leadership, even if it was a veteran backup. Vick said he learned a lot about how to prepare like a professional from McNabb in Philly.

This could be related possibly.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Michael Robinson, Sidney Rice, Max Unger, Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane, how many veterans does it take?

kf3339

Reaction score
ivotuk":vyw568v3 said:
Michael Robinson, Sidney Rice, Max Unger, Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane, how many veterans does it take?

Unfortunately, none of those players have a high enough stature as players to qualify for what I'm stating. They are good, but I'm talking about guys with 10 plus years in the league; multiple "All Pro" or "Pro Bowl" awards and/or been on very successful contending teams for Super Bowls.

I'm talking about guys who when they speak everyone listens as if God himself is talking to them. Those kind of guys control the locker room and teach the young guys what is and is not acceptable as a pro. They are out there, but we don't have any of those guys on this team in any capacity.

That's all.

Bus035

Reaction score
I agree. Reggie White would be amazing to have on this team. Honestly, there aren't many of those type of players anymore because this league doesn't pay or keep aging vets like it used to. I mean Chicago didn't even sign Urlacher to a one year deal to retire properly.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah know, the veteran idea's one of the most reasonable I've heard. Wilson will naturally assume that, but I'm not sure its fair in year two to be that type for an entire squad. That's rarified air, Manning, Brady, Montana stuff. He'll get there, but it may be unrealistic at this time.

I wanted Woodson or Urlacher defensively to fill that void. But, Winfield may end up being better on and off the field.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think Ken Norton, Jr. played a few years in the league and was kind of good too [/sarcasm]

The Radish

Reaction score
Bus035":2b7cq3bx said:
I agree. Reggie White would be amazing to have on this team. Honestly, there aren't many of those type of players anymore because this league doesn't pay or keep aging vets like it used to. I mean Chicago didn't even sign Urlacher to a one year deal to retire properly.

I think Urlacher himself had something to do with this. He really blasted Chi-Town in the media for not making him an offer he thought was fair. He's become more of a media talking guy in recent years and its never good to air your bitches with your team in public.

:les:

kf3339

Reaction score
sc85sis":21dmi64v said:
I could be wrong, but I think Ken Norton, Jr. played a few years in the league and was kind of good too [/sarcasm]

Yes, but it's just not the same today. He was a great player, but at a different time in history. The game is not the same and the environment around the players has changed from those years.

No, it has to be a player that is playing now but qualifies to the parameters I laid out above. I'm not saying it's going to happen. Just that it may be a qualifier as to why the PED issue has become such an issue the last few years.

I do hope at some point that RW and ET can be those guys on offense and defense, but it's not happening this soon in their careers.