Site Redesign

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Site Redesign
Sun May 19, 2013 12:27 am
  • Last year, our esteemed land lord came to me and asked me about a possible freshening up of .NET. I thought it was a great idea, I put a couple new takes on the old logo and they were both met with a collective "meh".

Rightfully so.

I found it ridiculously difficult to improve upon what I originally designed years ago. The masthead you see every day to your top left.

Great points were raised however. We have new uniforms, new colors...Maybe we should redesign our forum template to adhere to these new colors/logo tweaks, et al. As a graphic designer for nearly 20 years now, I completely agreed with the overall sentiment. I was frustrated that I couldn't figure out what would be the perfect solution for a new look for .NET. I know for a fact that a few of our members are fellow graphic designers like myself with great talent. So the question to you all is...

Should we redesign .NET? If so, what are your ideas to do so? Would you like a new masthead graphic? New color scheme for the background, buttons, etc?

Or do you want .NET to remain the same that it has looked for the past, what...six years or so?

This is the thread to voice your opinion...There's no right or wrong feedback...We will take it all into consideration.

49ers fans excluded of course. :stirthepot:

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Site Redesign
Sun May 19, 2013 12:29 am
  • maybe some of the feather thingies that are on the uniforms in the header? watermarked n such.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun May 19, 2013 12:37 am
  • Personally, I would vote to not change a thing. Especially not the colors as I think they're perfect and easy on the eyes.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun May 19, 2013 12:38 am
  • The Seahawk helmet logo across the header bar with the mesh color of the center of the helmet blended around it kinda using the feathers as a possible bullet point for threads . Just thoughts.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun May 19, 2013 12:49 am
  • I mean just on a color scheme level...sure, I'd like to see all of the colors fit where the team is at now.....other than that, leave it alone. I could live without any changes, though, I can say I have never once thought "when is .NET going to catch up with the new colors?"
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 12:56 am
  • All forums should be molded after Kanyetothe dot com

Beautiful design, ahead of its time. Makes all other forums seem outdated for me personally. Also the notification system is so helpful. I have no idea how hard that would be to replicate in the correct color scheme (or any) however, seems rather difficult or else everyone would do it...

Not spam by the way, hence not posting the link.
    City
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun May 19, 2013 12:57 am
  • That said I still vote if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Prime example Hawksblogger.
    City
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun May 19, 2013 1:02 am
  • It's funny but if I am reading the initial tea leaves here, it's what I have been told many times before:

There's something about the current colors that is soothing to the eye, the psyche. I've even had people tell me without being prompted that the site colors are refreshing after browsing around...

Personally? I'm stuck in the middle. As a graphic designer I always see potential to improve upon the former canvas, yet at the same time, I see the strength in adhering to what isn't broken.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun May 19, 2013 1:07 am
  • City wrote:All forums should be molded after Kanyetothe dot com

Beautiful design, ahead of its time. Makes all other forums seem outdated for me personally. Also the notification system is so helpful. I have no idea how hard that would be to replicate in the correct color scheme (or any) however, seems rather difficult or else everyone would do it...

Not spam by the way, hence not posting the link.

No offense but I just went there and I wasn't impressed. Too bright, too simplistic in design. Not a slam on your taste at all... I know better than most that visual taste is in the eye of the beer, er beholder... :)

One thing .NET has going for it is that it really does have a peaceful pallet of sorts. Soothing colors, easy on the eyes. My question is: How do we improve on this?

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun May 19, 2013 1:16 am
  • I think it's perfect as it is. I'm sure if you wanted to do a couple of tweaks it would be fine too but I really like it as it is.

And as yourself and others have said its really easy on the eyes on a computer or tablet.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun May 19, 2013 1:27 am
  • I like the color scheme that's established. I think an update to the graphics at the top of the site would be reasonable. It's a new era for the Seahawks, may as well get a facelift as well. Gotta get those feathers in here somehow! The grey might be nice to see incorporated, but it's so close to white I don't think that's a big deal. The only place it would really be noticeable without messing up the already good color scheme, would be in the masthead (fading into or out of the dark blue is what I imagine).

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 1:30 am
  • I am hearing "feather" a lot...Might be the one change that would be agreed upon by the masses?

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 am
  • Msfann wrote:I think it's perfect as it is. I'm sure if you wanted to do a couple of tweaks it would be fine too but I really like it as it is.

And as yourself and others have said its really easy on the eyes on a computer or tablet.

I agree here.
    A few minor tweaks here & there, ~ maybe that's all........
    Leave the colors/style/font alone.

You guys have a GREAT thing going.....no need for a major redesign....($$$)
    "If You're Good At Making Excuses, You'll Never Be Great At Anything Else." ~ Richard Sherman

GO HAWKS !!
    glowingeyedseahawk
    * PA's # 1 Seahawks Fan *

Sun May 19, 2013 5:58 am
  • -- I'd like to see the blue background be darker against the white font. Overall, I like the look as it is now, but it's a lot easier to read things in the darker blue title bars and menu items than it is to read the text of people's posts. Maybe instead of Navy blue and Seahawk Pacific blue (if that's what they are), perhaps Midnight blue and Navy blue?

-- I agree with others who have mentioned the feathers. The official site pulled it off and it looks great IMO.

-- I think we need something at the top at all times. During the season there's a schedule, at other times there's a countdown. We know the schedule, so there's no reason for it not to be there. There have already been times when I wished it was there, when I needed to find out something about the schedule and had to look elsewhere.

-- There's a common effect I find kinda annoying. The white/light shading along the top of menu bars, buttons, etc., is too much. I understand that there probably has to be some, otherwise everything will look all plasticky, but I think it needs to be toned down (or up). It's visually distracting when the shade effect reaches down into the text. The Profile and PM and other buttons are probably the worst offenders, but the title bars are bad too -- the shading doesn't reach down into the text, but the shading is almost as bright as the text. Visually distracting.

-- You mentioned your header graphic. I like it, but it looks too busy with the 12 in it.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sun May 19, 2013 6:27 am
  • The easy on the eyes part is the result of having a dark background with light text instead of vice versa. That should stay. We could incorporate grey, and some of the feathers, though. Lets do a vote with some mockups!
    ParisPC07
    NET Starter

Sun May 19, 2013 6:27 am
  • When you've captured lightning in a bottle you don't mess with the bottle :D

So that puts me in the if it aint broke don't fix it corner I think :180670:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Sun May 19, 2013 7:06 am
  • It ain't broke.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 7:16 am
  • I love the overall color scheme/background/fonts and would not mess with them. They are certainly better than other sites I have seen and easier to read and navigate by a long shot. In fact, I find myself wishing for this setup anytime I goto other sites and that says a lot right there.

As far as the header or masthead is concerned, it is great as is but if you desire to tweak or redesign it I am sure that would be great as well so feel free to dabble.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 am
  • If you're going to do a redesign, can I suggest switching to vBulletin? It has a lot of add-on goodies that I think this site could take advantage of.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 am
  • I like it fine the way it is. As others have stated, maybe some feathers but I can live without it. Still getting used to the new unis anyway.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 7:24 am
  • Ahhhh! No! Change bad!!!

The site looks great, as is, on my Commodore 64.
    Last edited by Riley12 on Sun May 19, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Sun May 19, 2013 7:25 am
  • I think the site looks good as-is. I've never once come on here and thought that the design needed work.

If anything, you could try some new mastheads that are more in-line with the current team designs, but as for the colors, buttons, etc...there isn't a real reason to change it other than "we just feel like it". I don't think change for the sake of change is necessary. It works, and works well, and you risk losing that.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 19, 2013 7:52 am
  • Small tweaks maybe. I like the feather idea and the darker blue.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun May 19, 2013 7:56 am
  • Have you talked to Anguish? I thought he also was working on this project.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 am
  • I love the darker tone of dot net, especially after browsing around all these damn bright ass sites. If you do end up "updating" the theme, I say keep it easy on the eyes.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 8:04 am
  • Dont change the white text on dark background thing. Thats pretty to look at. There should probably be a little bit of the feather thing incorporated to better represent who the team is now, but its not the end of the world if it doesnt change...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 am
  • I think im in the group of if it ain't broke don't mess. What I will say is that no matter what I us smartphone tablet or comp this site comes off very well and have had none seahawk fans tell me. That they wish there sites where as easy to get around and see as are beautiful site is.

LOL however I would like to see the schedule back up there that really helped with wins and loses. And the banner to the page go nuts you won't here a grip from me. Hell im even down with feathers. But I will tell u this the design team here has fans that aren't even team fans for sometime.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun May 19, 2013 8:21 am
  • I think the native american feather design is a must. I'd also like to see the grey incorporated more. I think the site is easy on the eyes but at the same time blue is diffident from 99% of other sites it is obvious to my wife and co-workers when I'm on the site.

I like the eye and the est 1998 part but we have new colors and new uniforms and I think incorporating those has to happen at some point why not sooner than later.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 8:30 am
  • Beast Mode Redesign On!
    Heyseed
    NET Starter

Sun May 19, 2013 8:36 am
  • Three things that others have also advanced:

Just. Add. Feathers.

Site is perfect already, and change might upset what has grown to be a balance of color tones. Simply turning some of the straight lines/borders into rows of the accent feathers (perhaps in wolf gray) would be exactly the freshness you seek.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sun May 19, 2013 8:40 am
  • I'm all for darkening the background to navy.

Go nuts!
    Just like the jerseys, people will like it eventually.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

Sun May 19, 2013 8:43 am
  • Not sure how you can improve on perfection.... This site is perfect and yes easy on the eye, etc.... Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"..... Just my take on the world of .Net :th2thumbs:
    Looking For That One Particular Habor....
    Hawkboi
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *

Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 am
  • We can always use some drum solo's.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Sun May 19, 2013 8:53 am
  • Yes, please redesign... this thing looks ancient imo.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 9:07 am
  • I wouldn't mind having other templates to choose between for the forum look. There's no reason the forum has to be locked into one specific look, PHPBB supports themes that every individual user can switch between. I think the banner's pretty good as-is, however. It could probably stand to be a little thinner/smaller as it takes up a pretty good chunk of space on my crappy 1280X1024 resolution monitors at work, though. ;)

As some others have said, the current one is pretty easy on the eyes already; and I do like it. I do have to wonder, however, what a theme might look like with a black background, but a lot of Seahawks highlights?
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Sun May 19, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun May 19, 2013 9:14 am
  • I also think the site looks great as is, probably one of the most attractive forums on the internet.

I wouldn't mind adding the feathers like others have said, maybe you could use them as borders?

As long as you keep the dark blue background and white text, I'm happy with it.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 9:30 am
  • Love the site and would only make minor changes...if any at all.
    Last edited by purpleworld on Sun May 19, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

Sun May 19, 2013 9:33 am
  • Personally, I think white text on a dark background is hard on the eyes in general. It isn't too bad with the navy and white, but I still prefer to read on tapatalk.

The green is definitely my biggest complaint with the current color scheme and being hard on the eyes.
    Uthawk
    NET Practice Squad

Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 am
  • White text on a dark background is hard on the eyes? :?: :229031_shrug:
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I wouldn't mind having other templates to choose between for the forum look. There's no reason the forum has to be locked into one specific look, PHPBB supports themes that every individual user can switch between. I think the banner's pretty good as-is, however. It could probably stand to be a little thinner/smaller as it takes up a pretty good chunk of space on my crappy 1280X1024 resolution monitors at work, though. ;)

As some others have said, the current one is pretty easy on the eyes already; and I do like it. I do have to wonder, however, what a theme might look like with a black background, but a lot of Seahawks highlights?

Yeah, it'd be dope if there was like an "office camouflage" theme, because as someone else mentioned; there's no passing off .net as anything else. If there was an option to make the forum look like MS Word, that'd be awesome!
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 am
  • CAN; yeah, I wouldn't mind a boring, drab theme in white for purposes like that... ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am
  • Appearance wise, I wouldn't change much at all. Although, I wouldn't mind a few new features. Like a rep system for 9er fans and people like Spokane or mikehawks...
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun May 19, 2013 10:11 am
  • No offense to the people who have said to make the background darker, but that is a horrible idea. It has been proven over and over again that websites should not incorporate dark backgrounds. They can look cool initially, but almost always lose their appeal after even mediocre use.

The colors you currently have work extremely well together in a website and should probably not be changed.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably leave much the same, but streamline the header bar. Something along the size of the nfl.com team selection bar, with all of the base navigation. I would use a mini seahawks.net logo on the left for the home button and strip out the current (200px?) current logo.

The other change I would probably make is to get rid of the horizontally angled lines background on some of the header bars and replace it with the wing totem pattern that seahawks.com is using.
    hidn
    NET Starter

Sun May 19, 2013 10:17 am
  • I like the current site layout. Changing to a new platform could be a risk because, while a new platform might have some cool new features, it won't have the same layout and functionality that we have become accustomed to.

One thing I would definitely support, if possible, is theme options that are configurable from the user control panel. The current site colors/theme could be an option along with some new themes you design. I'd like to have a theme that has a lighter background color.

Also, a rep system is nice for giving people the "recognition" they deserve for good posts. However, I've been on many forums that have this feature and sometimes I feel like a rep system degrades overall discussion quality. People tend to want to post what other people want to hear so that they can get rep points for it, rather than post their true thoughts. I don't think it's a feature to jump in and add without consideration of its effects.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 10:21 am
  • could you make the reply button add on in the same page? Some newer forums implement this and i like it a lot. Instead of going to a different page completely it simply makes a small box under neath the page for you to type in a reply then click submit and automatically adds in the reply without jumping through pages.
    It's like magic except it's real.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 10:29 am
  • Axx wrote:could you make the reply button add on in the same page? Some newer forums implement this and i like it a lot. Instead of going to a different page completely it simply makes a small box under neath the page for you to type in a reply then click submit and automatically adds in the reply without jumping through pages.
    It's like magic except it's real.

Do you mean like this?

The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 am
  • I am dealing a lot with UX with my own applications so you asked for feedback as a graphic designer and I will share what I have learned trying to fix my own items. Funny enough, graphic design is the one part I am clueless about, but I have been immersed in UX for a while so I will share what I know.

1 - the best UX is one you do not have think about. In this respect, you have a solid site. You might make it a bit cleaner but otherwise you are doing well.

2 - I don't agree that darkening the background is going to make things better. Remember there is an effect on mood caused by darkness. You are trying to create contrast to make it easy to see the text, keep with team colors, but still make the site palatable and enjoyable. Darkening the background does not do that. It makes things darker, increasing contrast but also making the site less bright, which is not a good thing. I wouldn't mess too much with it, but if you can get away with making the colors brighter and more appealing without losing the contrast that might work.

3 - given most people are shifting their consumption of the internet to mobile, you should probably be testing (asking?) how the site is showing in various devices. Frankly, that is more important than looks. The best sites are simple but easy to use, your site works well on desktop but if I try to access it from mobile devices I have to do a lot of pinching and zooming to read anything. I will share that so far, when I try to read it on a smartphone that requires some work, and even something like a Nexus 7 requires more pinching and zooming to really use at all. It would be nice if you could make it easy to consume readable text by just scrolling.

So I would suggest looking at some responsive web design before you start focusing on the other stuff.

I really like Bootstrap (the guys from Twitter did it) and it scales well for big sites. You can even use it with Rails if you want.

Simplify the menus. Make the site easier to use with tablets, change the links box (like lists of forums posts) to look more like buttons or at least make it so that if the focus is anywhere in the box you can click on it to go into a link, instead of having to click on the link itself. This will make it more touch friendly and make it easier to read/view posts on tablets/smartphones.

More and more of your traffic is going to come from mobile devices, and it doesn't make sense to build an app for each ecosystem. Just make the site easier to use no matter how your traffic gets here.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2013 10:47 am
  • Twisted; this site has the Tapatalk plugin, that's better than any mobile site, really. Just sayin'.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun May 19, 2013 10:48 am
  • I really like the idea of user-selectable themes some others have suggested. (I really would like the option of a darker background.)

And I don't have any internet-capable mobile devices, but TwistedHusky seems to make some good points.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 am
  • hidn wrote:No offense to the people who have said to make the background darker, but that is a horrible idea. It has been proven over and over again that websites should not incorporate dark backgrounds. They can look cool initially, but almost always lose their appeal after even mediocre use.

We come here for the appeal of following the Seahawks...not how nice the site looks. Just sayin.

The content is the "appeal".
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Next

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information