Site Redesign

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Last year, our esteemed land lord came to me and asked me about a possible freshening up of .NET. I thought it was a great idea, I put a couple new takes on the old logo and they were both met with a collective "meh".

Rightfully so.

I found it ridiculously difficult to improve upon what I originally designed years ago. The masthead you see every day to your top left.

Great points were raised however. We have new uniforms, new colors...Maybe we should redesign our forum template to adhere to these new colors/logo tweaks, et al. As a graphic designer for nearly 20 years now, I completely agreed with the overall sentiment. I was frustrated that I couldn't figure out what would be the perfect solution for a new look for .NET. I know for a fact that a few of our members are fellow graphic designers like myself with great talent. So the question to you all is...

Should we redesign .NET? If so, what are your ideas to do so? Would you like a new masthead graphic? New color scheme for the background, buttons, etc?

Or do you want .NET to remain the same that it has looked for the past, what...six years or so?

This is the thread to voice your opinion...There's no right or wrong feedback...We will take it all into consideration.

49ers fans excluded of course. :stirthepot:

Throwdown

Reaction score
maybe some of the feather thingies that are on the uniforms in the header? watermarked n such.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Personally, I would vote to not change a thing. Especially not the colors as I think they're perfect and easy on the eyes.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Seahawk helmet logo across the header bar with the mesh color of the center of the helmet blended around it kinda using the feathers as a possible bullet point for threads . Just thoughts.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I mean just on a color scheme level...sure, I'd like to see all of the colors fit where the team is at now.....other than that, leave it alone. I could live without any changes, though, I can say I have never once thought "when is .NET going to catch up with the new colors?"

City

Reaction score
All forums should be molded after Kanyetothe dot com

Beautiful design, ahead of its time. Makes all other forums seem outdated for me personally. Also the notification system is so helpful. I have no idea how hard that would be to replicate in the correct color scheme (or any) however, seems rather difficult or else everyone would do it...

Not spam by the way, hence not posting the link.

City

Reaction score
That said I still vote if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Prime example Hawksblogger.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's funny but if I am reading the initial tea leaves here, it's what I have been told many times before:

There's something about the current colors that is soothing to the eye, the psyche. I've even had people tell me without being prompted that the site colors are refreshing after browsing around...

Personally? I'm stuck in the middle. As a graphic designer I always see potential to improve upon the former canvas, yet at the same time, I see the strength in adhering to what isn't broken.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
City":3qmxeabc said:
All forums should be molded after Kanyetothe dot com

Beautiful design, ahead of its time. Makes all other forums seem outdated for me personally. Also the notification system is so helpful. I have no idea how hard that would be to replicate in the correct color scheme (or any) however, seems rather difficult or else everyone would do it...

Not spam by the way, hence not posting the link.

No offense but I just went there and I wasn't impressed. Too bright, too simplistic in design. Not a slam on your taste at all... I know better than most that visual taste is in the eye of the beer, er beholder... :)

One thing .NET has going for it is that it really does have a peaceful pallet of sorts. Soothing colors, easy on the eyes. My question is: How do we improve on this?

Msfann

Reaction score
I think it's perfect as it is. I'm sure if you wanted to do a couple of tweaks it would be fine too but I really like it as it is.

And as yourself and others have said its really easy on the eyes on a computer or tablet.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I like the color scheme that's established. I think an update to the graphics at the top of the site would be reasonable. It's a new era for the Seahawks, may as well get a facelift as well. Gotta get those feathers in here somehow! The grey might be nice to see incorporated, but it's so close to white I don't think that's a big deal. The only place it would really be noticeable without messing up the already good color scheme, would be in the masthead (fading into or out of the dark blue is what I imagine).

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am hearing "feather" a lot...Might be the one change that would be agreed upon by the masses?

Reaction score
Msfann":1a16rclo said:
I think it's perfect as it is. I'm sure if you wanted to do a couple of tweaks it would be fine too but I really like it as it is.

And as yourself and others have said its really easy on the eyes on a computer or tablet.

I agree here.
A few minor tweaks here & there, ~ maybe that's all........
Leave the colors/style/font alone.

You guys have a GREAT thing going.....no need for a major redesign....($$$)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
-- I'd like to see the blue background be darker against the white font. Overall, I like the look as it is now, but it's a lot easier to read things in the darker blue title bars and menu items than it is to read the text of people's posts. Maybe instead of Navy blue and Seahawk Pacific blue (if that's what they are), perhaps Midnight blue and Navy blue?

-- I agree with others who have mentioned the feathers. The official site pulled it off and it looks great IMO.

-- I think we need something at the top at all times. During the season there's a schedule, at other times there's a countdown. We know the schedule, so there's no reason for it not to be there. There have already been times when I wished it was there, when I needed to find out something about the schedule and had to look elsewhere.

-- There's a common effect I find kinda annoying. The white/light shading along the top of menu bars, buttons, etc., is too much. I understand that there probably has to be some, otherwise everything will look all plasticky, but I think it needs to be toned down (or up). It's visually distracting when the shade effect reaches down into the text. The Profile and PM and other buttons are probably the worst offenders, but the title bars are bad too -- the shading doesn't reach down into the text, but the shading is almost as bright as the text. Visually distracting.

-- You mentioned your header graphic. I like it, but it looks too busy with the 12 in it.

ParisPC07

Reaction score
The easy on the eyes part is the result of having a dark background with light text instead of vice versa. That should stay. We could incorporate grey, and some of the feathers, though. Lets do a vote with some mockups!

grizbob

Reaction score
When you've captured lightning in a bottle you don't mess with the bottle :D

So that puts me in the if it aint broke don't fix it corner I think :180670:

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I love the overall color scheme/background/fonts and would not mess with them. They are certainly better than other sites I have seen and easier to read and navigate by a long shot. In fact, I find myself wishing for this setup anytime I goto other sites and that says a lot right there.

As far as the header or masthead is concerned, it is great as is but if you desire to tweak or redesign it I am sure that would be great as well so feel free to dabble.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If you're going to do a redesign, can I suggest switching to vBulletin? It has a lot of add-on goodies that I think this site could take advantage of.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I like it fine the way it is. As others have stated, maybe some feathers but I can live without it. Still getting used to the new unis anyway.