Sherman’s success rate for the season: 81%

In Comparison to Darrelle Revis
2011 NFL Season Total:
Total qualifying plays: 332
Failed coverages: 130
Shutdowns: 46
In Position: 156
Revis’ success rate for the season: 60.2%

It must be noted that Revis trailed the opposition’s best receiver on a weekly basis and was put in single coverage with no help at all much more often than Sherman was. He also moved into the slot or swapped to the other side of the field when necessary, something Sherman only did when Browner was suspended.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
Here is Sando's take on the same article.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/99958/beyond-richard-shermans-grandstanding

It is Sherman's combativeness, outspokenness and good humor that make him one of the more compelling figures in the NFC West. But as Fahey concludes, Sherman's brain might be his most underrated asset.

A Stanford graduate's smarts should not be underrated, but Sherman makes focusing on style over substance so easy. He has, in his brief NFL career, dismissed receiver A.J. Green as overrated, warned quarterback Peyton Manning, mocked receiver Michael Floyd, confronted Tom Brady, incited Steve Smith, played Optimus Prime to Calvin Johnson's Megatron, baited cornerback Darrelle Revis, put down receiver Roddy White, dressed down Skip Bayless, watched practice from a jetski and, perhaps most hilariously, claimed to have hired as a charity softball umpire one of the replacement officials notorious for his role in Seattle's controversial victory over Green Bay last season.

Sherman feeds off the attention, obviously. He has positioned himself prominently in any debate over which cornerback is best in the NFL, overshadowing a far more highly-drafted cornerback from his own division, Patrick Peterson, who goes about his business with only occasional references to his own prowess.

SE174

Reaction score
I find it hilarious Roddy White was talking all that crap. When faced with Sherm in coverage one on one, Roddy caught one ball out of 11, and only because Sherm slipped on turf. What a joke.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yup, that was my favorite part of the article, where you could see where all the guys lined up against Sherm and what they did.

Roddy White: 1/11
Julio Jones: 1/5

Funny thing: it really sinks home what a combination of a team effort, and individual matchups these games really are. For example, Stevie Johnson not only did very well against Sherman, he also tore up Revis as well. Very few people, even educated football ones, would call Stevie Johnson an elite WR, but he excells at matching up with the 2 best QBs in the league. Buffalo's OL was below average and their QB position stinks, so it covers up individual brilliance.

I think Kearly said it, but the more I learn about the NFL, the more I realize I don't know. I can't wait to see how much Sherman progresses this year.

Erebus

Reaction score
In today’s NFL, quarterbacks routinely look to leave the pocket. This typically stresses the defense because it forces the secondary to cover for longer, but it is often forgotten that once a quarterback leaves the pocket defensive backs can become as physical as they like with the receivers they are covering. As soon as the opposing quarterback leaves the pocket against the Seahawks, Sherman is always looking to knock his assignment to the ground.

This may seem like a cheap move to the uninformed, but it is the smartest way to stop receivers from making big plays against you. The quickness of thought to recognize the scenario and his understanding of the rules is something that not every player possesses, even at this level.

I know this isn't what the article and thread was about, but this quote at the end got me thinking about Chris Harper. Since Russell Wilson is so adept at buying time outside the pocket, could this be one of the reasons we wanted a physical WR?

SE174

Reaction score
Erebus":3ltovtyy said:
In today’s NFL, quarterbacks routinely look to leave the pocket. This typically stresses the defense because it forces the secondary to cover for longer, but it is often forgotten that once a quarterback leaves the pocket defensive backs can become as physical as they like with the receivers they are covering. As soon as the opposing quarterback leaves the pocket against the Seahawks, Sherman is always looking to knock his assignment to the ground.

This may seem like a cheap move to the uninformed, but it is the smartest way to stop receivers from making big plays against you. The quickness of thought to recognize the scenario and his understanding of the rules is something that not every player possesses, even at this level.

I know this isn't what the article and thread was about, but this quote at the end got me thinking about Chris Harper. Since Russell Wilson is so adept at buying time outside the pocket, could this be one of the reasons we wanted a physical WR?

Certainly doesn't hurt.

formido

Reaction score
Erebus":3hhzb6y2 said:

I don't know if they thought of it specifically, but they didn't have to. Seattle wants to play physical on both sides of the ball. They want to intimidate. They give a lot of weight to a SPARQ type formula that calculates an athlete's athleticism from their weight and speed. They're trying to put as many players on the field at once who have the most weight plus speed they can find. Players with weight and speed can do a lot of things better, e.g., receivers with weight and speed are hard to push to the ground. They're also good at sealing off the defensive back. Also good at catching balls while being hit. Good at breaking tackles. Good at not fumbling. Good at blocking.

At some point, when you have enough weight and speed on the field, it's just too much. You reach a tipping point where big plays happen left and right, technical imperfections are masked by physicality, and everyone's making up for everyone else's mistakes with sheer athleticism. The margin of error for the opposition becomes small. And it's scary to opposing teams. And they just get overwhelmed the way SF was last season.

St. Louis is trying to counter on offense with mostly just speed. Fisher knows he can't compete with us on physicality. It's a smart play. It's one weakness that can be exploited if you round up the right personnel. We have trouble with speedy slot guys. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Unfortunately for them, they don't only play the Seahawks, so designing your team to exploit us won't get you all the glory. Besides, in the end, I think we'll beat them anyway. Weight and speed is too deadly a combo.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good thing SPARQ or whatever didn't figure that prominently in the QB decisions, and we got the "midget", as some other teams fans labeled Wilson. (Can you briefly explain this SPARQ formula?) Though Wilson is fast, 4.55 or so I think. He better watch his back with Jerrod Johnson and Brady Quinn out to take his job. My money is on Jerrod Johnson to wind up as the #2.

Our receiving corps is the one place it seems we lack physicality. So yeah, maybe Harper gives us something new there.

I know Pete likes physical players. I was under the impression that SPEED was a slightly higher priority with PC, especially on defense, but he wants both.
Converting college DL to OL... yeah, those seem to be about athleticism.
But then the TE from Rice, Willson, seems to be more speed than bulldozer TE physicality. I suppose he is a nice blend of size and speed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SE174":2nrtgbni said:
I find it hilarious Roddy White was talking all that crap. When faced with Sherm in coverage one on one, Roddy caught one ball out of 11, and only because Sherm slipped on turf. What a joke.
Yet with a lot of people saying crap about Sherman and his big mouth, he gives props to Julio Jones for being one of the best.
R.White is a J.Jones wannabe, but ain't.