Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: It's a sobering reminder about expectations.
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 pm 
NET Veteran

http://prod.www.seahawks.clubs.nfl.com/ ... fb1a37ff10

With Couch B talking about a bad draft, and an "non-factor" third round QB to Dukes talking about the defensive numbers being on the high side due to poor competition in the division. It's a sobering reminder of how they can get it so wrong. I wouldn't go as far as mocking them though, because now we have season of incredibly high expectations. Are we going to be right about this season come next January? (Of course we are!)

GO HAWKS!

Post subject: Re: It's a sobering reminder about expectations.
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 pm 
NET Veteran

"...who obviously isn't going to be a factor".

Oh, how wrong that was.

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
NET Veteran

grrrr.....stab,rinse,repeat

*edit* sorry for the murderous tone, ,but, Brian Billick is my most hated member of sports media. His commentary reminds me of the call I received today where I answered with the customary work greeting, then told the caller my name, then re-iterated the business name and my name and after being asked "are you there?" three times I was told... "I just wasn't sure, when you weren't talking, I couldn't hear you"

"I have a lot of things built up in me that I'm ready to unleash on the field.....when it's time to explode, I will." - Percy

Last edited by tooshort on Fri May 10, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:27 pm 
NET Veteran

Well, to be fair, the people who make accurate predictions tend not to make it to that big of a platform for expressing their predictions. More of us than not tune in for boldness and simplicity and not accuracy.

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Billick and Dukes were pretty consistent the past few years regarding the Seahawks. Neither has been very high on the team, with Billick eventually muting his criticisms late last year. Dukes has always been of the ilk that the NFC East and North were the lynchpin of NFC. Waddle was another non-Seahawks believer who like many is just waiting for them to slip or stumble. While many of our fans are counting consecutive superbowl wins, these guys reflect a simmering backlash hoping to scream fraud.

The team had just come off a second 7-9 season. They had a late run but nationally most saw those late victories as the Eagles stinking or the Bears without Cutler. Flynn was an unknown and when talk of a 3rd round pick possibly being the starter, talking heads began the Pete is on a hot seat rumble.

I am sure they were not castigated about their observations at the time. To say anything positive back then would have gotten more criticism than they would have wanted to face. It was an easy stand to take at the time. Only die-hards thought the team was on the upswing, because they saw what was happening throughout the team. That is why folks were going suicidal when Wilson was named starter, most fans thought the defense was a top-tier defense that could rule the day if only the QB could keep from blowing it.

I want those type of analysts to stay right on the other side of the fence. Your team is usually better off when these jokers aren't blowing smoke up their rear.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:57 pm 
NET Veteran

tooshort wrote:

*edit* sorry for the murderous tone, ,but, Brian Billick is my most hated member of sports media. His commentary reminds me of the call I received today where I answered with the customary work greeting, then told the caller my name, then re-iterated the business name and my name and after being asked "are you there?" three times I was told... "I just wasn't sure, when you weren't talking, I couldn't hear you"

Welcome to Jo's world .

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 pm 
NET Veteran

KCHawkGirl wrote:
tooshort wrote:

Welcome to Jo's world .

Still better than "Billick's World" where phrases like "bang bang play" are cool new terms to pontificate about aimlessly.

"I have a lot of things built up in me that I'm ready to unleash on the field.....when it's time to explode, I will." - Percy

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 pm 
NET Veteran

tooshort wrote:
KCHawkGirl wrote:
tooshort wrote:

Welcome to Jo's world .

Still better than "Billick's World" where phrases like "bang bang play" are cool new terms to pontificate about aimlessly.

True dat.:)

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 pm 
NET Veteran

drdiags wrote:
Billick and Dukes were pretty consistent the past few years regarding the Seahawks. Neither has been very high on the team, with Billick eventually muting his criticisms late last year. Dukes has always been of the ilk that the NFC East and North were the lynchpin of NFC. Waddle was another non-Seahawks believer who like many is just waiting for them to slip or stumble. While many of our fans are counting consecutive superbowl wins, these guys reflect a simmering backlash hoping to scream fraud.

The team had just come off a second 7-9 season. They had a late run but nationally most saw those late victories as the Eagles stinking or the Bears without Cutler. Flynn was an unknown and when talk of a 3rd round pick possibly being the starter, talking heads began the Pete is on a hot seat rumble.

I am sure they were not castigated about their observations at the time. To say anything positive back then would have gotten more criticism than they would have wanted to face. It was an easy stand to take at the time. Only die-hards thought the team was on the upswing, because they saw what was happening throughout the team. That is why folks were going suicidal when Wilson was named starter, most fans thought the defense was a top-tier defense that could rule the day if only the QB could keep from blowing it.

I want those type of analysts to stay right on the other side of the fence. Your team is usually better off when these jokers aren't blowing smoke up their rear.

So true.

I wasn't very high on the Seahawks last off season. I was irritated at Pete Carroll that he was allowing a controversy with this third round upstart when we paid 12 mil to Flynn. But, that's why I build clouds, not football teams.

With that said my point is I'm not allowing myself (real) unreasonable expectations this year. I finished watching the last 5 games including the playoffs, and it was clear from Arizona on, that teams started attacking the middle of the field against us. I'm hoping that 1 more year of experience in our linebacking core, and the addition of Winfield married with a much better pass rush will go a long way to resolve some of the problems. (Yes, I know, #1 points allowed in the NFL, but higher expectations are good)

Not to mention a weakening of the run defense. I mean the Falcon's with Michael Turner putting 164 yards on the ground against us... sheesh. I'm hoping not to see that again this year.

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:49 pm 
NET Veteran

It's a new year and you damn well know that only wi the best we have will be on this team in 2013. Rookie, UFDA or camp invitee.

Seriously I think we will see a serious variation of last year's scheme. Just a feeling but I can't believe Pete doesn't have a plan for this defense.

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

drdiags wrote:

James you really need to stop with this nonsense of being level-headed all the time. Don't you know you frequent an NFL team forum?

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:41 am 
NET Veteran

Never thought all that much of the Billygoat. For all that "Superbowl winning coach" hype they introduce him with...every time I watch the man make original predictions/educated guesses/analysis sure enough you can bet money on the exact opposite, from the big things down to the littlest. I'm convinced he just rode his DC and a great defense to Superbowl, he was hired because he was an offensive coach and never succeeded in building an offense in Baltimore. Not surprised.

Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:45 am 
NET Veteran

Got to admit that was a scary insane defense though .

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 am 
NET Veteran

KCHawkGirl wrote:
It's a new year and you damn well know that only wi the best we have will be on this team in 2013. Rookie, UFDA or camp invitee.

Seriously I think we will see a serious variation of last year's scheme. Just a feeling but I can't believe Pete doesn't have a plan for this defense.

Completely agree, I have full faith in Pete and his staff. Even during the Redskins/Falcons games, they were quick to make adjustments. Watching those last games, you could kind of see what they were going for in free agency and the draft.

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:32 am 
NET Veteran

billick should start his own show called "non factor".

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:43 am 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *

KCHawkGirl wrote:
tooshort wrote:

Welcome to Jo's world .

:34853_doh: People are idiots.

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:45 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Aros wrote:

James you really need to stop with this nonsense of being level-headed all the time. Don't you know you frequent an NFL team forum?

I need to try those trust techniques where you close your eyes and fall forward expecting another to catch you. I am like my boy in Top Gun. I am holding on too tight, I lost the edge ... :P

:thirishdrinkers:

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:32 pm 
* NET Radish *

Yes all the talking heads early last year had us down as "lost in the ages" catagory.

But I have to say games Billick did with the Seahawks for the most part been very supportive of our team and what that were trying to do. Tho not blessed with the most interesting of voices Billick knows football and isn't a bit shy about saying when and why the officials screwed the pooch and the same for teams and coaches.

In fact I think he has better knowledge of pro football than our own posters.

He isn't shy about showing screwups by either team or officials during the game. I find his knowledge about the game refreshing compared to other people that do game commendable

These guys have to deal with different teams/players every week and Billick seems to be in the top half of those that try to learn those names in advance.

I'll take Billick over many we've had through the years.

:les:

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:49 pm 
NET Veteran

The Radish wrote:
Yes all the talking heads early last year had us down as "lost in the ages" catagory.

But I have to say games Billick did with the Seahawks for the most part been very supportive of our team and what that were trying to do. Tho not blessed with the most interesting of voices Billick knows football and isn't a bit shy about saying when and why the officials screwed the pooch and the same for teams and coaches.

In fact I think he has better knowledge of pro football than our own posters.

He isn't shy about showing screwups by either team or officials during the game. I find his knowledge about the game refreshing compared to other people that do game commendable

These guys have to deal with different teams/players every week and Billick seems to be in the top half of those that try to learn those names in advance.

I'll take Billick over many we've had through the years.

:les:

Les,

Someone (I understand how google search works, but still can't find it) needs to post the "bang bang play" clip from Hawks at Cards 2011 where my Billick hate began..

It went something like:

color commentator "wow, that was a bang bang play"

Brian Billick "Bang Bang play???? I've never heard that term before and I doubt the viewing audience has either..could you please explain that to us!?!?"

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:09 pm 
NET Veteran

I love that avatar Les.:)

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:17 pm 
NET Veteran

I'll have to disagree with you Les. I watched Billygoats power rankings all last year. He went on a six week binge of barely notching the Hawks up after wins because he is in love with ARod and cried over the fail mary, while ignoring that ARod was gifted a TD himself in the game. Out of the playoff teams in his week 17 ranking, he took the Hawks out of 4th and ranked them last among playoff teams with the epithet they couldn't win on the road and were a surefire one and done. Maker his words.

That he's more equitable covering games so he doesn't anger fanbases than he is playing to big market bias in his national articles surprises me little, they didn't hire him to get emails from enraged fans after games.

Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:22 pm 
NET Veteran

They're talking heads...what do they know? :roll:

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:44 pm 
* Just Chillin' *

I don't need reassurance from talking heads to decide whether or not we are a championship caliber team. Every fan on this board knows everything we need to know about our team to set our expectations. The team has made itself accountable to it by calling this offseason the "Championship Offseason". If you filter out the noise we see a team that went 12-6 last season winning 8 of its last 10 games. All losses were only by a touchdown or less. We did not face a single team that separated themselves as clearly the better team. Then we got better, yes better in the offseason. Our coach, manager and roster are a solid "A" grade. Think what you want but its an "A". We've watched this team grow, we've seen it turn the corner and its made believers out of us. All the info I need to know is infront of my eyes.

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:48 pm 
NET Veteran

rastahawk wrote:
I don't need reassurance from talking heads to decide whether or not we are a championship caliber team. Every fan on this board knows everything we need to know about our team to set our expectations. The team has made itself accountable to it by calling this offseason the "Championship Offseason". If you filter out the noise we see a team that went 12-6 last season winning 8 of its last 10 games. All losses were only by a touchdown or less. We did not face a single team that separated themselves as clearly the better team. Then we got better, yes better in the offseason. Our coach, manager and roster are a solid "A" grade. Think what you want but its an "A". We've watched this team grow, we've seen it turn the corner and its made believers out of us. All the info I need to know is infront of my eyes.

Well said Rastahawk! :th2thumbs:

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:05 am 
NET Veteran

I'd be very leery about including every fan....given I am just a girl, an ordinary girl just an original model girl ......:)

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:37 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Sounds good Rasta, but the OP was talking about the beginning of last year. So the actual season last year hadn't happened when the video was done. Not sure how your comments applies to the OP's cautionary tale about making rash statements that can come back to haunt you?

Maybe you were just using the fallout from the Billick bash as an opportunity to offer your forward looking post?

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]