Tom Cable interview KJR

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Kind of jumped out at me what he said about Moffitt, if you're reading between the lines.

pehawk

Reaction score
Great stuff. Really great stuff.

I'm glad Tom and I share the same opinion on right tackle. That position is set and Breno aint going anywhere.

grizbob

Reaction score
Thanks Recon, very enjoyable listen! :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers: :3:

firebee

Reaction score
pehawk":1u6cs815 said:

I'm glad Tom and I share the same opinion on right tackle. That position is set and Breno aint going anywhere.

Ditto that... I thought Breno played like a Pro Bowl caliber strongside offensive tackle for most of the latter part of the year. We need a young OT that can push for playing time at LT or RT and be a reliable backup at either position. Also liked a lot of what he said about J.R. Sweezy... I think he's going to blow people's minds by the start of this regular season and give himself some serious consideration for starter at RG. He is an ogre on the line. We really need all of our guys to stay healthy, so conditioning should be a major stress point during the spring camps and early summer camps.

Subzero717

Reaction score
pehawk":oc71tktt said:

That makes me sad.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
So maybe, just maybe those of us who have been down on Moffitt are actually correct in our evaluations and NOT fueled exclusively by haterade?

Seriously, if there is one position group that I personally feel most confident in my ability to scrutinize it would be the oline. And I think with Carpenter healthy at LG, we are a solid RG away from having an absolutely dominant run-blocking unit.

Moffitt has been extremely underwhelming.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It sounds to me like once JR has had enough experience to react defensive shifts instinctively he will be a monster out there.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3unozogu said:
It sounds to me like once JR has had enough experience to react defensive shifts instinctively he will be a monster out there.

And if that actually occurs??

No greater testament to the quality of our collective scouting and coaching staff than JR Sweezy.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1lvij7l0 said:
So maybe, just maybe those of us who have been down on Moffitt are actually correct in our evaluations and NOT fueled exclusively by haterade?

Seriously, if there is one position group that I personally feel most confident in my ability to scrutinize it would be the oline. And I think with Carpenter healthy at LG, we are a solid RG away from having an absolutely dominant run-blocking unit.

Moffitt has been extremely underwhelming.

Yes, this is true (underwhelming). There is no debate, either. You don't lose playing time to a 7th round rookie DT conversion project if you are playing well. But when you criticize a player on this board (even when richly deserved), standby for the volley of arrows.

How dare we have less than slobbering reviews of EVERY Seahawk?

:3:

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm with you BFS. I thought it was pretty obvious the coaching staff wasn't that high on Moffitt when even healthy they were still substituting Sweezy for JM throughout games. Listening to Cable's interview he makes the comment Moffitt wasn't consistent enough. That's not a good sign considering Sweezy is also very inconsistent and was still taking snaps away from him.

I'm huge on Carp if he can stay healthy and I think Sweezy has a great chance to secure the starting spot if he's continues to grow, but until they both prove they are consistent enough to handle it, the guard positions remains a bit of concern (relatively speaking).

Lastly I'd add that in no way am I counting out Moffitt. When talking about lacking "consistency", to me that means lacking either experience or high effort and the right attitude. With Moffitt, unfortunately, I think it's the latter, but I'd like to think Moffitt is taking Cable's words to heart and treats things differently this upcoming season.

Jville

Reaction score
Informative interview ....... thanks for posting.

I fully enjoyed the JR Sweezy and Breno Giacomini appraisals. Cable offers a reminder that successful developing players correct and fix aspects of their game as the season progresses. And, it is the individual journeys to the finish that is so enjoyable for this fan.

After having watched Sweezy's evolution and example last year, the measureables and potential of Jared Smith has seized my attention. Jared's measurements are comparable to those of second round choice Jordan Hill.

Year three with Tom Cable ... :th2thumbs: ... I miss Solari a little bit less again this year.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
People were down on Sweezy in another thread, but he looked better as the year went on and his technique was good (as far as I can tell) by the end of the year. I think he easily wins the RG position battle.

I'm glad Cable is a fan of Breno. I am too. His penalty issues were overblown by the back half of the year, and he can road grade in the run game.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I think Sweezy will be pretty good,, eventually. I hold the coaches more accountable for the idea of converting him and the results than I do Sweezy...that's a LOT to ask of any rookie.

Experience will be huge for him. And learning how to pass block. :lol:

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Yeah, Sweezy is just raw and was probably pressed into duty earlier than the coaches hoped. What Sweezy did was incredible and I think the ceiling for the guy is still way, way up there. His mobility and nastiness covers a lot of mistakes, but when he gets those cleaned up we're going to have a great player on my hands.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm glad Cable has reiterated what I felt as far as the Offensive Line goes:

1) Moffitt's spot on the roster isn't as secure as some people think, as I've been saying all off-season long. I think I was breaking a few hearts for all the negative arguments I made against Moffitt. Comforting to see that I wasn't completely talking shit about a player.

2) That Seymour and Bowie have more than a decent chance to make the final roster. At least that what Danny Kelly infers from the transcript. I also read in the minicamps so far that both players have played with great technique with Seymour displaying quick feet and Bowie dominating off the snap. All good stuff so far.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
If we're being honest with ourselves there has been too much subjectivity in the arguments about Moffit. To me, it's fair to say he is not playing up to par, but too many people are trying to relate the to his easy-going personality. Stick exclusively to rating his play on the field and the argument becomes more credible. On the flip side, I can't help but believe that those who argue against the criticism aren't somehow influenced by how he's endeared himself to fans on the RRR (my subjective side).

I will say one thing in his favor. I felt much more at ease with Moffit (instead of Sweezy) lining up during obvious pass rushing/blitzing situations; however, those who say his overall play has been underwhelming are also correct.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1jq6sig3 said:
I'm glad Cable has reiterated what I felt as far as the Offensive Line goes:

1) Moffitt's spot on the roster isn't as secure as some people think, as I've been saying all off-season long. I think I was breaking a few hearts for all the negative arguments I made against Moffitt. Comforting to see that I wasn't completely talking shit about a player.

Moffitt is on his third offseason. The first one was the strike year which of course led to lost preparation time. His second offseason he was hurt for almost the entire offseason and I think quite a bit of that injury carried into the season. He missed some games with injuries. We are now on his 3rd offseason. According to cable on the 710 interview he gave moffitt is having a great offseason. I think we need to give him a chance, he is still young when it comes to offensive lineman. Offensive lineman sometimes need a bit of time to develop.

Quite a few people thought unger was worthless his first year and he made the pro bowl and was voted top 100 by his peers.

BamKam

Reaction score
Moffitt seems to be more worried about his next appearance on The Real Rob Report than the actual games themselves.