Luke Willson

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
PC is on 710am and said he was impressive today. First person he named. :th2thumbs:

DJrmb

Reaction score
Awesome!

I think that Luke Wilson is one of the reasons they decided to let Fells go. The kid has all the physical tools, I'm hoping with some good coaching he can pull it all together.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I have no Kearly-esque empirical evidence to support this...but I have a sense that Willson is going to be really good. Schneider on the radio today was really high on him and described him as a guy they wanted so much they would have been very disappointed not to get.

He will be our down field threat guy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TheSeahawksChronicle‏@HawksChronicle3h
JS said on @BrocknDanny that he would've really regretted not getting Luke Willson. Likened the situation to RW and Irvin last year.

This is really interesting. I think this might have been the biggest head scratcher pick for me initially, but I love his physical tools and what I hear about his intangibles. I find it kind of hilarious that SF wasted draft capital to "steal" Vance McDonald from Seattle when they were eying the OTHER Rice TE the entire time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
JS:

"Luke Willson was in the same realm as Russell Wilson and Bruce Irvin, we needed to leave the draft with him, and we did."

-The Glove-

Reaction score
DJrmb":2xn27vmc said:
Awesome!

I think that Luke Wilson is one of the reasons they decided to let Fells go. The kid has all the physical tools, I'm hoping with some good coaching he can pull it all together.
Fells is still there on a tryout basis.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
If there is one thing we have learned...we need to wait to see how a player pans out. There's been quite a few picks that we have questioned, especially in the round they were picked. The reality is, JS/PC operate on a totally different model than the traditional "round value".

I'll be interested to see how Willson develops.

SE174

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3eszi9b8 said:
Very interesting. I will readily admit that was the one pick I thought seemed pretty ridiculous, only because he seemed like a 7th rounder at best. It would be awesome if they strike gold yet again on an unheralded 5th rounder
Our 4th and 5th rounders seem to be very hit or miss:

4 - Walter Thurmond - Hit on talent, miss on health
4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Richard Sherman - HIT
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
4 - Jaye Howard - Miss (so far)
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I see him as a Jimmy Graham type player- He certainly has the size and speed of JG. Graham was taken in the same general area- 5-6 round IIRC. I"m glad to see he made a big impression. I'm glad that Ware and Bowie also made impressions. I'd love to see Bowie give Breno some stiff competition. I'd really like to see Ware take over the FB position.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SE174":2jpfbcu0 said:
Missing_Clink":2jpfbcu0 said:

4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

Why isn't Toomer a "Miss (So Far)? He's still on the team recovering from surgury and should have a excellent chance at winning a spot on the 2013 roster.

SE174

Reaction score
jlwaters1":xqjfgtte said:
SE174":xqjfgtte said:
Missing_Clink":xqjfgtte said:

4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

Why isn't Toomer a "Miss (So Far)? He's still on the team recovering from surgury and should have a excellent chance at winning a spot on the 2013 roster.

Wasn't he on the practice squad most of last year? Howard might not have played much (or at all?) last year, but he was apparently good enough to make the 53 man roster.

Veilside

Reaction score
This is outstanding news. The one thing other than a starting WLB I wanted the most out of this draft was our own version of Jimmy Graham. It seemed like the only thing our offense was really missing. Here's to hoping Willson is the man.

bubbrubb

Reaction score
I think he will stretch the field as he is used to playing CFL rules in high school...

ok but seriously, glad to see a fellow canucklehead on the team. Like the rest on here, I hope this kid blows up!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SE174":3qynssx0 said:
Missing_Clink":3qynssx0 said:

4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

Gee, so compared to other teams, how do suppose we break out? We had better find a GM that isn't so 'hit or miss' in those later rounds. Was the guy you are responding to saying we 'hit' every pick in those rounds?

kearly

Reaction score
Willson has nearly identical size and speed to Jimmy Graham, in fact he was the only draftable tight end this year who could really make a claim like that. So the sense of excitement about getting him makes complete sense. I don't think Willson will be that good, but at his best he might be one of the better vertical threat TEs in the league. Seattle's offense is all about making defenses as uncomfortable as possible. Even if Wilson only has 200 yards receiving next season, he could still elevate the offense as teams will have to account for him.

kearly

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2o0bs2dy said:
SE174":2o0bs2dy said:
Missing_Clink":2o0bs2dy said:

4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

Gee, so compared to other teams, how do suppose we break out? We had better find a GM that isn't so 'hit or miss' in those later rounds. Was the guy you are responding to saying we 'hit' every pick in those rounds?

Batting essentially .500 in the 4th and 5th rounds is superstar territory. Most teams would be thrilled to bat .250. The best 4th/5th rounder Ruskell had was... Red Bryant or Rob Sims. Bryant was a failure until Ruskell was replaced, and Sims took a while to get good and was quickly shipped off after the regime change.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":2dar4ewt said:
HawKnPeppa":2dar4ewt said:
SE174":2dar4ewt said:
Missing_Clink said:

4 - EJ Wilson - Miss
5 - Kam Chancellor - HIT

4 - KJ Wright - HIT
4 - Kris Durham - Miss
5 - Mark Legree - MISS

4 - Robert Turbin - HIT
5 - Korey Toomer - Miss

4 - Chris Harper ?
5 - Jesse Williams ?
5 - Tharold Simon ?
5 - Luke Willson ?

Batting essentially .500 in the 4th and 5th rounds is superstar territory. Most teams would be thrilled to bat .250. The best 4th/5th rounder Ruskell had was... Red Bryant or Rob Sims. Bryant was a failure until Ruskell was replaced, and Sims took a while to get good and was quickly shipped off after the regime change.

Exactly. Grading a team's picks in those rounds comes down to batting avg and our personnel guys are among the best in the league in that area.