Blast from the Past: Crazy finish with Oilers in 96

NYCoug

Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this and it's already made my day. Crazy to think that this was over 15 years ago... almost 20! I'm getting old man, I was only 9 when this happened!

[youtube]4F6Lc2cIN0w[/youtube]

A few things...

1) I love seeing some of those names. McKnight, Friesz, Peterson. The 90's Hawks in the Kingdome were like the Man in the Iron Mask of the NFL. The forgotten sons. They were to the NFL what jobbers are to wrestling. And I love them more for it.

2) Watch Oilers kicker Al Del Greco after the field goal attempt. God I hope the Hawks do that to Phil Dawson this season. Also, I hope we leave Jeff Fisher feeling like that twice this season. Last season, Pete kinda looked like Jeff does at the end after that fake field goal touchdown they ran on us. Time to flip the script.

3) Bigger blocked field goal in team history? This, the one against San Fran? Any others? I guess you'd have to say that the one against the 49ers was against a rival. This one won the game though when it looked bleak.

Jac

Reaction score
What an all-around heads-up play by McCrary. He sliced through for a monster block, recovered it, and pushed Blackmon to create separation so that he could flip it to him.

pehawk

Reaction score
I was a crackhead during 1996. Literally a CRACKHEAD.

I remember listening to this game, in my apartment, because I would always stay sober on Sundays. It was my odd little quirk and way of "supporting" the team. Here's a lil blurb I wrote about that game...

Six days a week my mind, body, and soul remained floating just above reality. The days and nights were spent fighting my own self-loathing over succumbing to the drug, the bouts of paranoia that embattle sleep deprived, and the perpetual awaiting of the girls to provide me with more of what now

I remember as if it were yesterday sitting alone in my apartment as the Seahawks blocked a Houston Oilers’ last second field goal…returning it for a touchdown to secure a win. I remember the wave of exuberance that overtook my being as I watched the play on the radio. I also remember that my celebration differed from my usual psychotic outbursts. I had to remain somber due to the landlords living downstairs and our rent being more than a month behind.

I've never seen the play before, honest. The game was blacked out. Thanks.

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
Wow, that's some pretty amazing stuff right there pe. Thanks for sharing. Gives this clip even more significance. You're a warrior!

pehawk

Reaction score
Oh, and Friesz was a pimp. Homeboy played a half on a broken leg.

pehawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":2je5785x said:
Wow, that's some pretty amazing stuff right there pe. Thanks for sharing. Gives this clip even more significance. You're a warrior!

No, not a warrior, just stupid and smoked crack for a few years. My only tip would be to bed the women just beginning their crack use. Get them on the way up, for sure.

It gave me goosebumps. I never saw that play. Never even thought of youtubing those blacked-out, memorable, homegames.

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm all about John Friesz dude. You might get a good laugh out of this.

http://seafense.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-ode-to-john-friesz_12.html

Glad you finally got to see this play. McCrary straight kills it. If you thought the blocking from the 49ers interior was horrible during the 42-13 game (that has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?), where 3 guys hadn't even gotten out of their stance yet, then this has to be even worse than that. The Hawks absolutely crushed the Oilers line!

BlueTalons

Reaction score
One of my fond memories of being a seasons ticket holder attending games at the Kingdome. And...we owned those Jeff Fischer led Oilers of the '90's (4-0.)

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":dzlnztz3 said:
NYCoug":dzlnztz3 said:

No, not a warrior, just stupid and smoked crack for a few years. My only tip would be to bed the women just beginning their crack use. Get them on the way up, for sure.

It gave me goosebumps. I never saw that play. Never even thought of youtubing those blacked-out, memorable, homegames.

Hey, you're still standing my brotha! (in my best Richard Sherman voice) I know I speak for everyone here when I say that the thought of a .Net without pehawk is an awful, humorless thought... okay, well maybe not for EVERYONE, maybe not most actually, but still you're fighting the good fight :th2thumbs:

And am I alone in thinking that there isn't enough lateraling in today's game? With every defender trying to take it to the house, I hope the Seahawks practice INT and fumble returns a lot in camp this year. Practice it to the point where everyone, Red included, feels comfortable pitching and receiving a lateral. That's my crazy thought for the day.

pehawk

Reaction score
Those Erickson teams had talent and the ingredients to win. Two things held them back; Behring and Mirer. The cloud of poor ownership devastated that team AND the needed commitment to see what Mirer had.

I think Erickson would've done very well, had those circumstances been removed. He was right for that era of the NFL. And, ya know, when Behring gave him GM duties as a "sorry for moving to LA, Dennis", he did pretty well.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
pehawk":ca5bpc2m said:
Those Erickson teams had talent and the ingredients to win. Two things held them back; Behring and Mirer. The cloud of poor ownership devastated that team AND the needed commitment to see what Mirer had.

I think Erickson would've done very well, had those circumstances been removed. He was right for that era of the NFL. And, ya know, when Behring gave him GM duties as a "sorry for moving to LA, Dennis", he did pretty well.
Totally agree Pe! Had Dennis had the power that Pete has now...who know could have been...

So I just watched the clip as I am at work...I forgot it was a tie game. For some reason I was thinking we had a one point lead (17-16.) It sure got my heart pumping! Definitely one of my top 10 ten at the Kingdome moments! #1 was '95 Mariners game 5 vs NY.

pehawk

Reaction score
Dennis had football karma to repay for a few NCAA things. Unfortunately for him, the football gods extracted that debt while he was in the NFL. Horrific timing, luck and circumstances here in Seattle. Then, he coached the 49ers for what was their equivalent to "bowl ban" years.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
First thought: Was Joey Galloway our best offensive skill player in the '90s? Who ekse is on the short list for that honor? Chris Warren? Ricky Watters? Jon Kitna? Man, the '90s were bleak.

Second thought: I'm glad I didn't hit my head after blacking out once I saw Dennis Erickson. Between this stint with Seattle and his underachieving at Arizona State, he has given me a lifetime's worth of disappointment as a fan. I look forward to everyone in the Pac thumping Utah over the next three or four years.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
McCrary, Sinclair, Sam Adams and Cortez. Best DLINE in Seahawks history?

It's that or Green, Bryant, Nash and Tez.

Good argument could be made either way.

I was torqued when we let McCrary walk. The guy just seemed to have IT in spades. I liked Adams also, but saw his loss as only unfortunate, McCrary's departure really aggravated me.

That the two of them went on to form half of a historically good defensive line in Baltimore's Super Bowl winning season was one of those things that I would take a kind of 'secondhand pride' in.

"Yeah, those guys use to be Seahawks"

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
bfs, that's one of the best parts of being a Seahawks fan in my mind. I live for those, "yeah, those guys use to be Seahawks" moments.

I constantly had to remind my Giants fans friends that, "yeah, those guys use to be Seahawks", when Rocky Bernard and Deon Grant were crowned champions.

As far as best Hawks DLine goes, I'd have to go with McCrary, Sinclair, Adams, and Tez.

On a side note, does anyone else think that Michael Bennett reminds them an awful lot of Michael Sinclair? Without checking any of the measurables, they seem to look almost identical in stature, and neither would really stand out at you as being a great pass rusher upon first look. That and the fact that they'll both have worn a number in the 70's for the Hawks, played DE, and have the first name Michael.

*Just looked it up, Bennett is 6'4 274, Sinclair was 6'4 275.*

Can we just call Bennett "Sinclair 2.0" from now on? That or Hobo with a Swim Move, after that awesome beard he was sporting in the latest Real Rob Report. Personally, I want a DLineman that doesn't give a damn about his beard and only about inflicting pain on his opponents. Sorry for derailing my own thread. Carry on!

pehawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2vk54aj4 said:
McCrary, Sinclair, Sam Adams and Cortez. Best DLINE in Seahawks history?

It's that or Green, Bryant, Nash and Tez.
Good argument could be made either way.

I was torqued when we let McCrary walk. The guy just seemed to have IT in spades. I liked Adams also, but saw his loss as only unfortunate, McCrary's departure really aggravated me.

That the two of them went on to form half of a historically good defensive line in Baltimore's Super Bowl winning season was one of those things that I would take a kind of 'secondhand pride' in.

"Yeah, those guys use to be Seahawks"

The first line, with Adams, is the best in history. I was more pissed when Adams walked over McCrary. Like, I think Holmgren was an asshole, and still think that, type pissed-off. Holmgren spent his first few years here caring more about him being the ONLY star, over all else.

Sam Adams was a good lineman AND dude personally went out and lobbied for the stadium vote. He invested into this city, played well, showed community pride and Holmgren let him walk.

Yup, still pissed.