Who is JS referring to here?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 10:57 am
  • As Seahawks general manager John Schneider warned before the draft, "The mistakes that we've made -- or perceived mistakes -- have been things where I’m trying something that I probably shouldn’t have. And then I learn my lesson and don’t do it again -- two in particular. One was comparing a player to another player that we’d had in the past. You never know what’s in somebody’s heart, so you can’t do that. Then the other was just assuming that a player was completely locked away from a football standpoint because he’s been productive, and that he was squared away and confident."


    This is taken from a Sando post on ESPN.com. Who do you suppose he's talking about here? I'm at a loss for the first but maybe Mike Williams is the 2nd...
    User avatar
    mrdaija
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am
  • EJ Wilson
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 2929
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am
  • Charlie Whitehurst on the first? His "tools" were said to be like Aaron Rodgers'.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    User avatar
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4733
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 pm
    Location: UT


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 am
  • Number 1 might be Whitehurst, but I dont know who he would have compared to. I think most agree that was his biggest mistake since he's been here.

    Number 2 might be TO but I really don't know
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2585
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 am
  • Whitehurst was a trade. I think John's answer was in response to the draft.

    In that light, EJ Wilson and Kris Durham -- both totally wasted 4th round picks -- immediately come to mind. Mark LeGree, possibly.

    For the hyper-critical, using a first rounder on James Carpenter and a third rounder on John Moffitt (who lost snaps to a 7th round DT conversion project last season) is also a possibility.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 am
  • Yeah, Whitehurst doesn't really make sense there at all. Many will just assume he's the topic of any "front office mistake" conversation, though. Can't blame 'em.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4183
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Whitehurst was a trade. I think John's answer was in response to the draft.

    In that light, EJ Wilson and Kris Durham -- both totally wasted 4th round picks -- immediately come to mind. Mark LeGree, possibly.

    For the hyper-critical, using a first rounder on James Carpenter and a third rounder on John Moffitt (who lost snaps to a 7th round DT conversion project last season) is also a possibility.


    I got the impression from listening to those comments that it was EJ Wilson and Mark Legree. You could be right about Moffitt and Carp. Though I doubt it. I recall after the draft PC and JS mentioned that they asked Cable who would be the ideal players for his system and he said Carp and Moffitt. So I beleive those were Cable driven picks.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2478
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:15 am
  • The first one could be LenDale White.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    User avatar
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3149
    Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 am
  • Moffit comes to mind, for me, but I will be the first to admit he is my current 'whipping boy'.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:Moffit comes to mind, for me, but I will be the first to admit he is my current 'whipping boy'.


    No shame in it - dude needs to step up. His goofy shtick is growing old...would rather see him develop into a solid starter than act like an ass clown all the time.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 pm
  • The pool of draft "mistakes" he's referring to is pretty thin - Kris Durham, EJ Wilson & Mark Legree. Of all the guys they've picked in the 5th round or higher, those are the only 3 that have failed to make an impact ... and even Durham's debatable, since he was cut during a numbers log-jam at the WR spot and has caught on in Detroit.

    So first part of that is either Durham (tall, big-bodied WR he may have thought was a BMW clone) or Wilson (6'2 280lbs DE/DT 'tweener I think they were expecting could back-up Mebane). Second part definitely sounds like Legree - small school guy who was insanely productive with INTs in college, but just looked lost as soon as camp started, beat out buy Jeron Johnson and didn't make final cuts.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    User avatar
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:04 pm
    Location: Bremerton


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Moffit comes to mind, for me, but I will be the first to admit he is my current 'whipping boy'.


    No shame in it - dude needs to step up. His goofy shtick is growing old...would rather see him develop into a solid starter than act like an ass clown all the time.

    Heaven forbid he's not all about 100% of the time every single day... :roll:
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1691
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Moffit comes to mind, for me, but I will be the first to admit he is my current 'whipping boy'.


    No shame in it - dude needs to step up. His goofy shtick is growing old...would rather see him develop into a solid starter than act like an ass clown all the time.

    Heaven forbid he's not all about 100% of the time every single day... :roll:


    Heaven forbid we are critical of a player who hasn't lived up to his draft status yet...which is what this thread is about.

    :141847_bnono:
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 pm
  • Whitehurst makes sense when you consider they traded draft capital to get him.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10767
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 pm
  • Considering how the team touted Percy Harvin as this years first round pick, I don't think is really that far fetched to think the JS was referring to players that cost them draft capital.

    If that is the case, Whitehurst and LenDale White make the most sense. One thing to remember about the Whitehurst trade.....many were comparing the trade when it went down to the Hasselbeck trade of 2001. Schneider was a part of the Seahawks front office when the trade with Green Bay was made - the trade happened in March of 2001, and JS was hired by the Redskins in May of 2001. It is very rare that a team has traded for another teams backup, and experienced prolonged success - leading to multiple playoff berths. I can only think of two examples; Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Schaub. Converting a backup into a successful franchise quarterback is clearly the exception. PC & JS obviously believed they were able to add a third success story by trading for Whitehurst - one that represents one of the few mistakes they have made. White obviously never bought into the program....but not sure how he fits the whole "squared away and confident" statement (the wording implies a very insecure player, White seemed a little over confident)

    If the quote refers to only draft picks, it would probably be impossible to gauge any insight into who he was referring to.
    User avatar
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 168
    Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 pm
  • I think it's a little overly critical of Moffitt. If it wasn't for him being so goofy I don't think you guys would be on him as much. He got hurt in 2011 and the injury is one that can take time. Knee injuries are no joke especially for big guys, I should know. He played last year but he wasn't fully healed, a big part of why Sweezy would get the start is because of Moffitt's knee.

    He was also a 3rd round pick, let's not act like he was a 1st rounder. Carpenter is the one who barely see's the field and he was a 1st rounder. If Carpenter was goofy on camera then maybe it'd be all about him... I just think it's a little overboard. If Moffitt sucks in his third year then I will be the first to admit he does, but a lot of players take a couple years to hit their stride in the NFL, especially when they have an injury.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    User avatar
    BigMeach
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 365
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:06 pm
  • Maybe Aaron Curry.
    theseahawkguy
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:46 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 pm
  • Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:Considering how the team touted Percy Harvin as this years first round pick, I don't think is really that far fetched to think the JS was referring to players that cost them draft capital.

    If that is the case, Whitehurst and LenDale White make the most sense. One thing to remember about the Whitehurst trade.....many were comparing the trade when it went down to the Hasselbeck trade of 2001. Schneider was a part of the Seahawks front office when the trade with Green Bay was made - the trade happened in March of 2001, and JS was hired by the Redskins in May of 2001. It is very rare that a team has traded for another teams backup, and experienced prolonged success - leading to multiple playoff berths. I can only think of two examples; Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Schaub. Converting a backup into a successful franchise quarterback is clearly the exception. PC & JS obviously believed they were able to add a third success story by trading for Whitehurst - one that represents one of the few mistakes they have made. White obviously never bought into the program....but not sure how he fits the whole "squared away and confident" statement (the wording implies a very insecure player, White seemed a little over confident)

    If the quote refers to only draft picks, it would probably be impossible to gauge any insight into who he was referring to.


    JS says in the same statement that he didn't repeat his mistakes. You're saying his "mistake" was acquiring a back-up QB with the hope that he could emulate Hasselbeck's success as a back-up turned starter. He signed Tarvaris Jackson (back-up) the very next year and Matt Flynn (back-up) the year after that. So, it still doesn't work IMO.

    White might be a fit for the second player referenced.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4183
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:JS says in the same statement that he didn't repeat his mistakes. You're saying his "mistake" was acquiring a back-up QB with the hope that he could emulate Hasselbeck's success as a back-up turned starter. He signed Tarvaris Jackson (back-up) the very next year and Matt Flynn (back-up) the year after that. So, it still doesn't work IMO.

    White might be a fit for the second player referenced.


    The difference is he didn't spend heavy draft capital to pick up either of those players
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2606
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:Considering how the team touted Percy Harvin as this years first round pick, I don't think is really that far fetched to think the JS was referring to players that cost them draft capital.

    If that is the case, Whitehurst and LenDale White make the most sense. One thing to remember about the Whitehurst trade.....many were comparing the trade when it went down to the Hasselbeck trade of 2001. Schneider was a part of the Seahawks front office when the trade with Green Bay was made - the trade happened in March of 2001, and JS was hired by the Redskins in May of 2001. It is very rare that a team has traded for another teams backup, and experienced prolonged success - leading to multiple playoff berths. I can only think of two examples; Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Schaub. Converting a backup into a successful franchise quarterback is clearly the exception. PC & JS obviously believed they were able to add a third success story by trading for Whitehurst - one that represents one of the few mistakes they have made. White obviously never bought into the program....but not sure how he fits the whole "squared away and confident" statement (the wording implies a very insecure player, White seemed a little over confident)

    If the quote refers to only draft picks, it would probably be impossible to gauge any insight into who he was referring to.


    JS says in the same statement that he didn't repeat his mistakes. You're saying his "mistake" was acquiring a back-up QB with the hope that he could emulate Hasselbeck's success as a back-up turned starter. He signed Tarvaris Jackson (back-up) the very next year and Matt Flynn (back-up) the year after that. So, it still doesn't work IMO.

    White might be a fit for the second player referenced.


    I am saying the "mistake" was spending significant draft capital on trying to make a back-up a franchise quarterback. The risk in signing a free-agent is only cap space. Jackson was relegated to back-up only because of Favre in Minnesota. Flynn was a pure back up, with a clear risk associated with it. But we gained draft capital from the signing rather than lose it. But you are right - if they realized that it was a mistake to trade for Whitehurst, why would try converting a back-up into a franchise starter again. Unless of course they had always planned to draft a QB rather high, thus "hedging their bet"?
    User avatar
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 168
    Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 12:04 am
  • themunn wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:JS says in the same statement that he didn't repeat his mistakes. You're saying his "mistake" was acquiring a back-up QB with the hope that he could emulate Hasselbeck's success as a back-up turned starter. He signed Tarvaris Jackson (back-up) the very next year and Matt Flynn (back-up) the year after that. So, it still doesn't work IMO.

    White might be a fit for the second player referenced.


    The difference is he didn't spend heavy draft capital to pick up either of those players


    That's semantics, man. He invested cap space and a $10 million guarantee on Flynn (not saying that was a mistake). That's a risk he wouldn't take if he thought it was a mistake to attempt to turn back-up QBs into franchise QBs. I'm sure he views Whitehurst as a mistake, but not because he once looked at him and immediately thought of Hasselbeck's success as a former back-up. I doubt he looks at players in such simplistic terms.

    The player he's referencing probably had some physical qualities that were similar to a guy he had, but just didn't have enough heart to excel the same way. E.J. Wilson is a good example since he had a Mebane-like physique and was also talked about as being used as the big DE in our base D like Red. Obviously, he wasn't as good as either of those players.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4183
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 am
  • BigMeach wrote:I think it's a little overly critical of Moffitt. If it wasn't for him being so goofy I don't think you guys would be on him as much. He got hurt in 2011 and the injury is one that can take time. Knee injuries are no joke especially for big guys, I should know. He played last year but he wasn't fully healed, a big part of why Sweezy would get the start is because of Moffitt's knee.

    He was also a 3rd round pick, let's not act like he was a 1st rounder. Carpenter is the one who barely see's the field and he was a 1st rounder. If Carpenter was goofy on camera then maybe it'd be all about him... I just think it's a little overboard. If Moffitt sucks in his third year then I will be the first to admit he does, but a lot of players take a couple years to hit their stride in the NFL, especially when they have an injury.


    Well said. We wouldn't give a rat's ass about Moffitt acting goofy for the cameras if he was productive and kicked ass on the field. It's one thing to have that fire inside, and another thing for your body to cooperate, especially at the NFL level. Neither one has any real relationship to mugging for the camera. The team and the players often do not tell us the real story about a player's injuries and their impact. However, Moffitt may not be as athletic as some other O-linemen, and when his body is refusing to cooperate, he has less margin for error to work with.

    The poster child for this would be... Lofa Tatupu. When healthy, we know what he did. When his body broke down and wouldn't cooperate, he couldn't do it at the NFL level. Lofa wasn't the fastest guy to begin with (4.8 40), and was on the smallish side. But oh, what a heart, and what a player when healthy!

    There are a number personalities that have been successful at the NFL level that don't fit the media-driven stereotype of how a player "should" act and think. Eli Manning comes to mind. Then there are those that take the stereotype, and improve on it. Russell Wilson comes to mind. <sarcasm> Except he's too short to be successful as an NFL quarterback so regardless of all his other qualities, let's pass. And the draft pundits are always right, and the Seattle front office should get Mel Kiper's blessing before announcing their picks.</sarcasm>

    Personally, I'm rooting for Moffitt. But what I expect, 50-50 chance, is that he will get narrowly beaten out by a combination of more athletic O-Linemen, and the Seahawks will release him in final cuts. Also, 50-50 chance Moffitt sticks around, and the Seahawks use the practice squad to stash raw O-line projects no other team would likely pick up. If Moffitt does get released, I bet there will be at least 10 other teams on the phone to him within minutes.
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 927
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 7:34 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:Well said. We wouldn't give a rat's ass about Moffitt acting goofy for the cameras if he was productive and kicked ass on the field


    Which he hasn't been. How long is the shelf life for his injuury as an excuse?

    He'll be watching Sweezy starting ahead of him this season, me thinks.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 am
  • Boy I don't know Greg, Sweezy has been perfectly awful so far. My money is on the big goofball. I dont think sweezy will ever pan out.
    Image
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    User avatar
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1813
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 9:42 am
  • Keep in mind, it's hard to always get it right from a personnel standpoint when we look at things through a fan's perspective. We don't see all the other stuff going on; practices, film room, etc.

    There were a ton of people that labelled Unger a draft bust. On this very site. He played out of position his first year (although he did play some Guard at OR...also some LT too) but "that was no excuse". In this informational age, we all want results NOW, and these guys are competing against the very best of their craft.

    I'm with Meach. I won't give up on Moffit quite yet.....besides, Sweezy beat him out because he has a bit more fire on the field, he (sometimes) drive blocks a bit better, and he gets to the 2nd level a ton better.....see the cut block in that SF game against Willis. Moffit is WAY better in pass protection, he's schematically smarter (in regards to blitz pickup where Sweezy was terrible) and he's more polished. All of which is expected because it's Sweezy's first year.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4062
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 am
  • Chukarhawk wrote:Boy I don't know Greg, Sweezy has been perfectly awful so far. My money is on the big goofball. I dont think sweezy will ever pan out.


    Agreed - pick your poison. But it's telling that the coaches even gave Sweezy a chance. A 7th round rookie DT conversion project took snaps from a 3rd round draft pick with experience under his belt.

    I'm not writing off Moffitt yet. I'm just being honest in stating he has not been great as of yet.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 10:55 am
  • theseahawkguy wrote:Maybe Aaron Curry.


    sarcasm? :34853_doh:
    User avatar
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5313
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 pm
    Location: Beaverton, Oregon


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 am
  • Chukarhawk wrote:Boy I don't know Greg, Sweezy has been perfectly awful so far. My money is on the big goofball. I dont think sweezy will ever pan out.


    Wow, premature don't you think? To give up on Sweezy after just 1 season? Ridiculous, the dude's had less than a year on the OL and all of a sudden were saying he can't make it. That's crazy talk.

    I don't understand why fans on here are so quick to judge a player. It's quite infuriating. I remember just a few years back we were having this exact same discussion with Unger. Alot on here were saying, "He's too weak" "We should have kept Spencer" totally disregarding the most obvious fact that players DO improve especially between year's 1-3.

    Sweezy wasn't horrible. He was extremely inconsisent, but to say he was an unmitigated disaster is a stretch. Give the guy a chance for Pete's sake. It same silliness when people question weather Bruce Irvin can be a starter for us. WE should expect to see significant improvements from ALL our 2nd year players now that they have a year under their belts.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2478
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:Give the guy a chance for Pete's sake


    I see what you did there...
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7565
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    Chukarhawk wrote:Boy I don't know Greg, Sweezy has been perfectly awful so far. My money is on the big goofball. I dont think sweezy will ever pan out.


    Wow, premature don't you think? To give up on Sweezy after just 1 season? Ridiculous, the dude's had less than a year on the OL and all of a sudden were saying he can't make it. That's crazy talk.

    I don't understand why fans on here are so quick to judge a player. It's quite infuriating. I remember just a few years back we were having this exact same discussion with Unger. Alot on here were saying, "He's too weak" "We should have kept Spencer" totally disregarding the most obvious fact that players DO improve especially between year's 1-3.

    Sweezy wasn't horrible. He was extremely inconsisent, but to say he was an unmitigated disaster is a stretch. Give the guy a chance for Pete's sake. It same silliness when people question weather Bruce Irvin can be a starter for us. WE should expect to see significant improvements from ALL our 2nd year players now that they have a year under their belts.

    Couldn't agree more. Many times when you're just patient, you get guys like Unger, Okung, and Tate who really start to come into their own in their 2nd or 3rd year.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1842
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 am
  • That first one has to be Whitehurst. He was just so toolsy in a Rodgers way, but God he sucked. I just can't think of anyone else who fits the bill. Legree to et is possible but that takes a huge leap of faith and lapse in judgement.

    Ej Wilson sounds right for the second one. Productive player in college who was a clear mistake.
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    User avatar
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1460
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:13 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm
  • I thought that Sweezy was inexperienced, but he looked excellent when he "got it." He had burst off the line, would latch on to the insides of his opponents' pads instead of the outside, and was good at getting into the second level on running plays when he needed to.

    I like the guy and I think he fairly easily beats out Moffitt, not because Moffitt is terrible, but because Sweezy is legit.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3755
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 pm
  • Oh, in reference to the draft, EJ Wilson is a good bet. As is that Georgia wideout.

    My biggest takeaway here is just how impressive it is that John and Pete expect to hit on mid round picks. It's so cool. Under Ruskell/Holmgren, it was so much more of a crapshoot. You could always count on a fullback that would hardly see the field.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    User avatar
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4733
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 pm
    Location: UT


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 3:05 pm
  • Player 1 is CW or Durham. Player 2 is BMW?
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9364
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 3:43 pm
  • Draft aside. Whitehurst was the single worst move the management has made. I have to believe he looked at his on field skill set and thought that would translate to a competitive fire on the field. I'm not sure what Whitehurst was missing, but something was certainly missing..
    Image

    "We all we got, we all we need"
    User avatar
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1529
    Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:Draft aside. Whitehurst was the single worst move the management has made. I have to believe he looked at his on field skill set and thought that would translate to a competitive fire on the field. I'm not sure what Whitehurst was missing, but something was certainly missing..


    I wouldn't call Whitehurst a mistake as much as a low risk move that didn't work out. My guess is that both PC and JS thought Cobb was/is a better QB option than Whitehurst, but the cost of being wrong was much higher with Cobb. While I wouldn't call what the team gave up to sign Whitehurst trivial, it certainly didn't impact the team long term the way the Cobb signing impacted Arizona.

    To me, calling Whitehurst (or any other personnel move) a mistake implies that JP and JS had some expectations that Whitehurst would turn out to be our franchise QB. I doubt that this is the case. My seriously uninformed guess is that PC and JS felt it was important to add a veteran to the QB competition and Whitehurst represented (in their minds) the best combination of physical tools and low risk.

    So much of building a roster is a numbers game. Some (most?) of your moves are not going to work out, but if you churn through enough players it won't matter. PC and JS play this game better than anyone.
    bsuhawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 130
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:38 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 pm
  • I don't think Whitehurst was low risk. TJack and Flynn were low risk (just some cap space we didn't particularly need on a low-risk contract), Whitehurst cost a third round pick and a trade down in the 2nd that is worth a 3rd on the (outdated draft pick value chart - IMO more like a 4th). I bet the FO could've found a contributor with the draft ammo we wasted on Whitehurst.

    Remember, Whitehurst wasn't just not the QBOTF, he was considerably inferior to a Tarvaris Jackson, a player who:
    1.) Played most of the season with a torn pec
    2.) Couldn't win Buffalo's backup QB job a year later.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *
     
    Posts: 3593
    Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:06 pm
    Location: Bellingham, WA


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 pm
  • Spot on Sno
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10767
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 pm
  • Snohomie wrote:I don't think Whitehurst was low risk. TJack and Flynn were low risk (just some cap space we didn't particularly need on a low-risk contract), Whitehurst cost a third round pick and a trade down in the 2nd that is worth a 3rd on the (outdated draft pick value chart - IMO more like a 4th). I bet the FO could've found a contributor with the draft ammo we wasted on Whitehurst.


    You're confusing cost with risk. Yes, there was a cost associated with giving Whitehurst a shot. And yes, the benefit the team received by signing Whitehurst did not justify that expense. However, the long term impact the signing had on the team's ability to build a competitive roster was quantifiable, very low, and limited to two years.

    Compare the aftermath of the Whitehurst signing with that of the Cobb signing. The Whitehurst signing went about as bad is it could, yet it's sole current relevance is as a meaningless topic for a meaningless discussion on a meaningless discussion board. The Cobb signing ended up costing a bunch of people their job. This is what I mean by risk. PC and JS know going in that no matter how bad Whitehurst played, it wasn't going to cost anyone not named Whitehurst their job.
    bsuhawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 130
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:38 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 11:09 pm
  • bsuhawk wrote:
    Snohomie wrote:I don't think Whitehurst was low risk. TJack and Flynn were low risk (just some cap space we didn't particularly need on a low-risk contract), Whitehurst cost a third round pick and a trade down in the 2nd that is worth a 3rd on the (outdated draft pick value chart - IMO more like a 4th). I bet the FO could've found a contributor with the draft ammo we wasted on Whitehurst.


    You're confusing cost with risk. Yes, there was a cost associated with giving Whitehurst a shot. And yes, the benefit the team received by signing Whitehurst did not justify that expense. However, the long term impact the signing had on the team's ability to build a competitive roster was quantifiable, very low, and limited to two years.

    Compare the aftermath of the Whitehurst signing with that of the Cobb signing. The Whitehurst signing went about as bad is it could, yet it's sole current relevance is as a meaningless topic for a meaningless discussion on a meaningless discussion board. The Cobb signing ended up costing a bunch of people their job. This is what I mean by risk. PC and JS know going in that no matter how bad Whitehurst played, it wasn't going to cost anyone not named Whitehurst their job.


    No I don't think he is confusing anything. Anytime draft picks are involved, there is risk. The risk is that the player you are trading for will be more valuable than the draft picks you are surrendering. Anytime you sign a player to a contract with any guaranteed money, you have risk. The salary cap era means that finances are finite, and any space utilized for player "x" cannot be used to sign another player. Either way - trade or signing - involves a certain amount of risk.

    Both Whitehurst and Kolb (I am assuming that is who you are meaning) were traded, AND both players signed extensions. Arizona gave up a ton to get Kolb - a second round pick + Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - and signed him to a five year, $64 million dollar extension ($21 Million Guaranteed). Seattle gave up a third round pick, and swapped seconds - and signed Whitehurst to a two year, $8 million dollar extension. That is still a fairly substantial gamble on an unproven player - far less risk than Arizona took in the acquisition of Kolb.

    The only reason that the Whitehurst trade is no longer relevant is because the Seahawks took a risk that paid off in drafting Russell Wilson. If we were entering year 4 of the PC/JS rebuild without a franchise QB (and they seemed rather underwhelmed by Flynn), the heat would ABSOLUTELY be turned up on the Pete and the front office. And most would be pointing to the Whitehurst trade as the first step in a long line of failed attempts to get a QB. I do think it is a relevant, but less relevant because of the success that the front office has experienced.
    User avatar
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 168
    Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 pm
  • Hmmmm... I think I'm gonna go with Carpenter on this one. 1st round pick with tons of potential that just hasn't been able to hold down any position on the offensive line.
    firebee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1303
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:43 pm
    Location: Florence, Oregon


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 am
  • ITT: people who don't know the difference between cost (specifically sunk cost) vs risk.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Thu May 09, 2013 9:23 am
  • firebee wrote:Hmmmm... I think I'm gonna go with Carpenter on this one. 1st round pick with tons of potential that just hasn't been able to hold down any position on the offensive line.


    Neither of the JS quotes sound like hes describing a player who has been limited in two seasons do to injury.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3504
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Sat May 11, 2013 7:03 pm
  • Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:The only reason that the Whitehurst trade is no longer relevant is because the Seahawks took a risk that paid off in drafting Russell Wilson. If we were entering year 4 of the PC/JS rebuild without a franchise QB (and they seemed rather underwhelmed by Flynn), the heat would ABSOLUTELY be turned up on the Pete and the front office. And most would be pointing to the Whitehurst trade as the first step in a long line of failed attempts to get a QB. I do think it is a relevant, but less relevant because of the success that the front office has experienced.


    Hm...I hope you're not implying that Russell Wilson somehow saved PC and JS jobs, because that's silly. And IMO It's ABSOLUTELY remarkable that PC and JS may have found their elite franchise QB in only their third year. It's even more so when you consider they did it without the benefit of a top 5 draft pick. Some teams go decades without finding one. The Bears haven't had one since Sid Luckman (I consider McMahon a good QB, not an elite QB). The Browns haven't had one since Otto Graham, nor the the Lions since Bobby Layne.

    As for the Seahawks, if Russell Willson becomes that elite franchise QB we're all hoping for, he will be the Seahawks first.
    bsuhawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 130
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:38 pm


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Sat May 11, 2013 9:38 pm
  • I wonder if the second player is actually Kellen Winslow. Granted, they didn't give up much for him, but he fits the bill as a guy who was productive in the past, and I think saying he wasn't locked in on football last year is pretty fair.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4183
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Sun May 12, 2013 12:33 am
  • I'd say it's two of either EJ Wilson, Kris Durham, or Mark Legree.
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1256
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Who is JS referring to here?
Sun May 12, 2013 12:39 am
  • firebee wrote:Hmmmm... I think I'm gonna go with Carpenter on this one. 1st round pick with tons of potential that just hasn't been able to hold down any position on the offensive line.


    I got the impression whomever John was referring to no longer was on the squad.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9449
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington




It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:47 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information