Watching some Jordan Hill film.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I notice a few things about him that stand-out:

1) He's very quick off the snap, great use of hands to fight off the block, slippery and agile through the gaps, and has the athleticism to mirror QB and RBs in a chase.

2) He's a violent tackler, in which I saw two trademarks, when he's in front of the ball carrier, he uses his leverage to get lower and then explodes into the b/c taking them off their feet, and when he's to the side or behind the ball-carrier, he uses his long arms to grapple around the body of the ball-carrier into a bear hug and then tosses the b/c to the ground like a rag doll. Also, a lot of bowling ball moves where he grabs the legs/hips, rolls into the ground catapulting the ball carrier into the ground as well.

3) The biggest games seemed to bring out the best in him, the bigger the opponent, the more energy he seemed to generate.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I really liked watching his Wisconsin game. He was always moving, his 2 sacks were a thing of beauty in that game, using a swim move past the OL. I'm interested to see what he can do for us in the pass rush side of things.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Just got finished watching his highlights vs Wisconsin, and holy hell he was an absolute terror in that game.

I hope his hustle and skill translate well to the nfl.

Mick063

Reaction score
People rave about Irvin's closing speed but Hill really has it as well. The difference is how well Hill can use his hands to disengage. It more than compensates for Irvin's superior quickness. I know....apples and oranges, different positions. I use Irvin in comparison to demonstrate that all the quickness in the world doesn't help if you can't disengage.

At 300 pounds, I think Hill will have more impact and has a higher ceiling than Irvin. At a minimum, he is useful in more situations than Irvin.

Less of a knock on Irvin who will fill a specific role well, but more of an accolade for Hill. I'm thinking Hill could almost play Leo at 300 pounds. That would be very beastly.

kf3339

Reaction score
At first I thought he might be a little short, but then realized he is the same height and weight as Geno Atkins. If we ultimately get anywhere near that type of production in the next few years we will all be thrilled!

McG

Reaction score
Man our picks this year are all pretty good, top to bottom. The vets better be on notice or they will be looking for a job mid August or early September.

The only guys I don't see making the team not because of talent but for lack of "showing up" would be the LSU guys. Even then I think they will be ready to ball out and with Simon if he can get his head together could be a Sherman 2.0 and Ware a M-Rob 2.0.

I am more than excited about this rookie class, simply put.

chihawk

Reaction score
I have not watched much film on him, but I heard or read somewhere from a penn state alum that said he was very inconsistent. Hopefully PC and Quinn help get him to play at a high level more consistently.

I know the Wisconsin game was his highlight game. Pandion, what did you see from other games?

McGruff

Reaction score
chihawk":vx7hdic6 said:
I have not watched much film on him, but I heard or read somewhere from a penn state alum that said he was very inconsistent. Hopefully PC and Quinn help get him to play at a high level more consistently.

I know the Wisconsin game was his highlight game. Pandion, what did you see from other games?

Most DT's are inconsistent. Why? First, because its really hard to play inside. Second, because its really exhausting. That's why being able to play in rotation is so critical to the success of an interior line.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Most scouting reports on Hill say he's better to be played in a rotation, which is exactly how he will likely be used . Watching the Wisconsin game he was really consistently playing in their back field and very disruptive. He really showed solid diagnostic skill and wags very good at looking after his gaps.

I like his use of leverage best b/c while not huge he anchors well. Wisconsin has one of the most pro like OLines in college football and he wasn't shoved off the ball by them. As well he seems to be able to get skinny at times to find his way through the crowd w/o often getting washed out of the play. Straight ahead bull rush for him seems adequate but might be better if he was stronger lower he does hand fight well.

Unlike Short his motor runs every play and he stays close to the ball and if not there could be helping make the tackle, that is confirmed by the number of assisted tackles on his stat sheet. I suspect he will make us all happy.

CANHawk

Reaction score
The Outfield":26714c17 said:
WmHBonney":26714c17 said:
The Outfield":26714c17 said:
This is why I adopted him. He's mine.
Stand in line

Nope! I was the first to claim him in the official adopt-a-rookie thread :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68193

:0190l:

Yeah, but neither one of you jokers tattooed his name on your signature line like I did...

Hamhawk

Reaction score
if Hill has an impact on our D-line like fellow 3rd rounder Mebane has had,...I'll be more than happy

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Jordan Hill, DT
"While big names like Sharif Floyd and Star Lotulelei dominate the discussion about defensive tackles,
Jordan Hill deserves to be discussed based on his stats alone. As a pass rushing DT, Hill grades out with
a Snaps Per Pressure (SPP) of 13.3, which makes him the most efficient pass rusher of the DTs
(slightly ahead of Sheldon Richardson) and more efficient than some pass rushing DEs like Datone Jones.

Hill also had the most combined tackles in the backfield and 1-2 yards from the LOS (25 tackles), more than ANY defensive tackle. Based on these metrics alone, Hill should be considered solid all-around DT to be picked earlier than the 4th-5th round he's projected in."

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/ ... -prospects

SDHawk

Reaction score
What most ppl miss in that youtube video is that Hill plays better as the game goes on and plays his best in clutch situations. Those "clutch" contributions don't come through very well in youtube videos... just like RW3... its not just what they do, it's also when they do them.