Any veteran free agents you'd still like to see Seattle add?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Now that the draft is over, you can usually find some pretty cheap veterans to add to any holes that might be on the roster. There are a few guys who I wouldnt mind taking a look at:

I'd like to see the Seahawks sign one of: Tyson Clabo, Bryant McKinney or Eric Winston to provide depth at tackle. Could be this years Frank Omiyale, only better.

Also wouldnt mind us picking up a veteran linebacker. Not to be a starter, but just to be part of the group and part of the rotation. I'd prefer Carlos Dansby, but wouldnt mind Brian Urlacher either.

Keep in mind, i'm talking relatively low salaries for backup players here, i'm not talking big time free agents who we're going to rely on to contribute a ton.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Urlacher would be awesome in a mentoring type role and insurance, but even at his advanced age, I don't see him taking minimal salary. ...but he does have connections to WA

ErikG803

Reaction score
Would love to sign Winston.

Maybe John Abraham if he's cheap enough :mrgreen:

SDHawk

Reaction score
I would co-sign for Clabo.

I wouldn't slit my wrists if we signed Gaither to a 1-year deal.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Just as long as anyone we sign at this point understands he'll be battling it out with our current guys and may well be shown the door by August.

Brahn

Reaction score
A WILL Veteran to challenge in camp and then we can cut them.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I wouldn't take any, because they cost more than rookies. Might as well keep the guys we've got and save the money.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3uutaq9h said:
I wouldn't take any, because they cost more than rookies. Might as well keep the guys we've got and save the money.

It would most likely just be on a 1 year deal. So wouldnt matter going forward.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the money is a non issue, but I'm more worried about 53 roster spots. We're going to lose some guys we like to waivers as it is. I would rather just go in with what we've got and sign some of these guys if they are still around during the season and we really need them. Maybe that's risky. I suppose we could use 1 more backup tackle. I think Giacomini might be pretty solid though, I don't think he wants to be the guy that gets all the penalties again and kills an otherwise hopeful season.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1h6fdf1j said:
jlwaters1":1h6fdf1j said:

True, but I'd rather the young guys get a chance. Think about it this way. Last year PC and co. brought in TO and that other washed up WR. So instead of getting the younger player extra reps they had to split them with TO and the other WR (Bryant???) why do this to the younger guys?

The only place I could see adding somewhere is at Tackle only. We have loads of guards to sift through, no need to add more. The Defense is set with vets/Rookies and as PC already said he likes what he has at Lber, so I wouldn't add anything there. I'd give these guys as much reps as possible and see who emerges.

I'll always prefer rookies/ young players over older vets. It provides more intrigue.

Reaction score
I think we could take a look a someone's "throw away" quarterback as the season/training camp get closer ??
I'm not sold on the fact that Brady Quinn will be our #2 QB as we go into Carolina ??
....not sure of an example yet, (and not to hijack the thread) but maybe Mark Sanchez.....

I guess that's an example :179419:

cacksman

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1lmmop14 said:
jlwaters1":1lmmop14 said:

It does matter. Signing a player on a 1 year, 2 million deal means we will have 2 million less in cap next year because of the cap rollover. We are going to need to roll a few million into next year.

mikeak

Reaction score
To me the issue is if you have to cut someone that isn't as good as the veteran this year but would be better next year. If you have a fourth-sixth rounder that you now cut that could have a great 2014 then I rather see him hold down the roster spot even if he isn't as good right now.

Fine line to walk but you have to be competitive now while building for the future...

mikeak

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":l55omdaq said:
I'm not sold on the fact that Brady Quinn will be our #2 QB

Pretty sure that hasn't been announced....

I expect Jerrod Johnson to put up a fight for that spot.

nwgamer

Reaction score
I would like to see another kicker at camp. Maybe we can get a guy capable of a 50+ yard FG with any kind of consistency.