Are the pundits scared to give us bad draft grades now?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Possibly but I think the Seahawks had one hell of draft despite all criticism from the fans like I said in another post, had the Seahawks draft looked like this, everyone would have probably been in high praise:

WR, Percy Harvin
+
2, DT Jesse Williams
3, RB Christine Michael
4, DT Jordan Hill
5, CB Tharold Simon
5, WR Chris Harper
5, LB Ty Powell
6, OL, Ryan Seymour
7, FB, Spencer Ware
7, TE, Luke Willson
7, OG, Jared Smith
7, OT, Michael Bowie

HawkWow

Reaction score
Nobody wants to knock our selections after being made fools last year. But it's not all good. It appears no matter what, there will be bias surrounding our Hawks. Whether for or against.

I can't recall the guy that said it, but during the draft, one commentator appeared to not like one of our picks. He started to express his opinion (that I wanted to hear), then changed his mind and basically just said..."they know what they're doing up there in Seattle". The others just sorta' looked at him like "that's it"?

How many remember when ESPN used to go to commercials DURING our pick? Amazing what a can of whup-ass will do for ya'.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3828hhzy said:
My favorite quote is how the rumor is in the NFL right now, the day after the Hawks work out a guy, 7 teams show up to check him out.

You could argue Harbaugh over Carroll, but anyone that thinks Baalke is on par with Schneider should note how many GMs around the league are fighting for Baalke's sloppy seconds. You look at the incredible work Schneider has done after the 3rd round. Chancellor, Thurmond, Wright, Sherman, Baldwin (UDFA), Johnson (UDFA), Wilson, Turbin, Lane, Scruggs, Sweezy. The best player Baalke drafted after the 2nd round since taking over? Kendall Hunter. Their 3rd string RB.

HawkWow":3828hhzy said:
How many remember when ESPN used to go to commercials DURING our pick? Amazing what a can of whup-ass will do for ya'.

Now that you mention it, ESPN didn't run as many commercial breaks during our picks this year, did they? In fact, they seemed to make it a special point to talk about most of the picks Seattle made.

IHateSleeves

Reaction score
They should be, with picks like Wilson, Chancellor, Sherman, Sweezy etc. one would hope that they have learned not to bad mouth what this front office is doing. All it does is end up making them look bad when they slam a pick and have to revise their grade from a D to an A mid-season.

Tical21

Reaction score
I almost wrote an article today basically implying the same thing as the OP. We drafted a 3rd RB with our first pick, a huge reach of a DT on our second, didn't address what people thought was our major need in a LB, and nobody said a word about it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":7dnanqen said:
Scottemojo":7dnanqen said:
My favorite quote is how the rumor is in the NFL right now, the day after the Hawks work out a guy, 7 teams show up to check him out.

You could argue Harbaugh over Carroll, but anyone that thinks Baalke is on par with Schneider should note how many GMs around the league are fighting for Baalke's sloppy seconds. You look at the incredible work Schneider has done after the 3rd round. Chancellor, Thurmond, Wright, Sherman, Baldwin (UDFA), Johnson (UDFA), Wilson, Turbin, Lane, Scruggs, Sweezy. The best player Baalke drafted after the 2nd round since taking over? Kendall Hunter. Their 3rd string RB.

HawkWow":7dnanqen said:

Now that you mention it, ESPN didn't run as many commercial breaks during our picks this year, did they? In fact, they seemed to make it a special point to talk about most of the picks Seattle made.

They really did and I could sense their anticipation as we (finally) got closer to our pick. Had we kept our first, I think we would have been featured in some way. They may have even pulled up tape of the flying fish at Pike Market (the way they sometimes like to do). ;)

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's funny Scotte, but I was thinking the same thing. Now, I wasn't able to watch the draft, so I don't know what was said during the draft, but I read up all the draft grades afterwards, and I only saw one pick as a D+, and like Hawkwow mentioned, the guy basically said "they've shown that they know what they're doing, so I'll just go with I don't understand the pick".

Last year I saw people literally giving us D's on our entire draft. Funny what difference a year makes.

Schneider is also maybe the best GM at picking through the chaff of UDFA's. Browner, specifically, makes me laugh. Now you have tons of teams combing the CFL like it's the first time they've ever seen it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3qm4ryii said:
http://mynorthwest.com/292/2263296/Carroll-Schneider-have-scared-off-the-draft-critics

Hard to argue with to a certain extent I suppose but I think the environment that PC and JS have created from an organizational standpoint might have every bit as much to do with how these late picks have performed as anything else.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
And don't forget about our player personnel guys and area scouts...they are exceptional. Pete and John get all the credit (understandable), but it's these guys slaving away going to all points geographic searching for talent that fits our system.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2rns5k4b said:
Possibly but I think the Seahawks had one hell of draft despite all criticism from the fans like I said in another post, had the Seahawks draft looked like this, everyone would have probably been in high praise:

WR, Percy Harvin
+
2, DT Jesse Williams
3, RB Christine Michael
4, DT Jordan Hill
5, CB Tharold Simon
5, WR Chris Harper
5, LB Ty Powell
6, OL, Ryan Seymour
7, FB, Spencer Ware
7, TE, Luke Willson
7, OG, Jared Smith
7, OT, Michael Bowie

Soo true, I wanted JW in the 2nd after we pick hill in the 3rd i was kinda pissed. Then when we got him in the 5th it all came together for me. Our 5th round sealed the deal in making this a great draft.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Scottemojo":p6ugdv0z said:
http://mynorthwest.com/292/2263296/Carroll-Schneider-have-scared-off-the-draft-critics

I call that the Pete Carroll effect, though it's true to a certain extent of any team that is having great success. You could probably refer to it as the bandwagon effect.

It was very common for high school prospects to jump up in the rankings and get even more offers after Pete/USC offered a kid a scholarship. You see the same thing happening now with Saban/Alabama.

In the NFL it's happening with the Hawks. The biggest difference is that a lot of the time people have no clue why Pete and John like a player. They just assume that the guy must be good if Seattle is looking at him.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":29gvzslr said:
I almost wrote an article today basically implying the same thing as the OP. We drafted a 3rd RB with our first pick, a huge reach of a DT on our second, didn't address what people thought was our major need in a LB, and nobody said a word about it.

Last year was a home run of epic proportions, on par with when Jerry Reese had all 8 of his picks play a role in winning the Super Bowl a few years ago. The critics who yap the loudest took a pounding, which I saw referenced in the draft broadcasts more than once. Some of the criticism they gave last year was bordering on vicious; Pete has more than his fair share of enemies in the Eastern media zone and in football circles. And they let him have it in spades last year. Rarely do draft critics look so stupid about picks in such a short time. Their tails are still between their legs. Not to worry, the conventional thinkers in the football media will find something else about Pete to jump on soon enough. Pete Prisco will be talking about defenses figuring out Russell Wilson and run option quarterbacks until we get into the season, for instance.

Also, P&J are getting a bit of a pass for doing such a good job in free agency and trading for Percy Harvin. Add to that that a lot of the picks this year are for depth and role players and it is just kind a boring draft to talk about.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":nb4ybm0u said:
Tical21":nb4ybm0u said:

Last year was a home run of epic proportions, on par with when Jerry Reese had all 8 of his picks play a role in winning the Super Bowl a few years ago. The critics who yap the loudest took a pounding, which I saw referenced in the draft broadcasts more than once. Some of the criticism they gave last year was bordering on vicious; Pete has more than his fair share of enemies in the Eastern media zone and in football circles. And they let him have it in spades last year. Rarely do draft critics look so stupid about picks in such a short time. Their tails are still between their legs. Not to worry, the conventional thinkers in the football media will find something else about Pete to jump on soon enough. Pete Prisco will be talking about defenses figuring out Russell Wilson and run option quarterbacks until we get into the season, for instance.

Also, P&J are getting a bit of a pass for doing such a good job in free agency and trading for Percy Harvin. Add to that that a lot of the picks this year are for depth and role players and it is just kind a boring draft to talk about.

When the team is stacked, drafts for depth are going to be less exciting. It's just the nature of the beast, unless you go out of your way to pick up big names. But PC and JS haven't seemed too enamored of going after a big name just because of the name, and I for one am glad for that.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Two douches on the NFL Channel graded us at a C, one was Seahawks hater Jamie Dukes, cant remember the other dillhole.

A

Anonymous

Chukarhawk":13e1jx7s said:
Two douches on the NFL Channel graded us at a C, one was Seahawks hater Jamie Dukes, cant remember the other dillhole.

Jamie Dukes < a bowl of soaked Wheaties

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I think they are scared. And it is a good thing. Just massaging the top teams egos by grading us the worst, and it was apparent early on that few of the top teams even considered us as worthy of concern as a gnat. They have a right to rank someone as low, I just think it's classless to do so. Jerry Jones fired Rob Ryan because he specifically pointed out that his teams need to walk into the Clink and win. That loss wasn't even close to Rob Ryans fault. Cowgirls offense sucked, an excellent Hawks special teams ran the score up. Don't like any coach named Ryan so I'm not defending his job, it was Jerry's attitude that we were pissants, no matter how tough we were regarded at home, that was interesting. Did we grade out so low in the preseason that JJ disregarded our entire season because experts did?

This draft compares a lot to last years draft. We had a starting QB (in the majority's mind). It was inconceivable that a third round shrimp could compete and beat him out in the preseason.

Now we upgraded our 3rd down back despite having arguably the 2nd best RB in the league.

I give it a C, considering how I saw the talent on the board at each selection. But I fully expect PC and JS to show me why I'm wrong. Probably the guys I wanted are going to be out of the NFL in a few years.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":34khf61b said:
Jamie Dukes and that pundit with beard both are haters like Marshall Faulk. NFL.Net just hates us on general principal.

amill87

Reaction score
kearly":2leudx7d said:

I'm with ya 100% on this one. I've been saying it pretty much since Baalke took over, he just doesn't impress me much. He seems like an average GM. Not terrible but he's not great either.

Not only has Schneider been fantastic at drafting but he has been pretty good with FAs too. His biggest gaffes there are Rice and Miller and both contribute quite a bit (especially if the playoffs were any sign to come with Miller). On top of all that, he has set himself up to manage the cap wonderfully and has built a reputation of taking care of his players.

So really, can anyone blame someone for not wanting to go against anything Schneider does? He almost is walking on water right now.