Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: It's on!!!!!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 am 
NET Starter

"If you thought last year's NFC West was the division sad of black and blue, this year is going to get blacker and bluer" -Brock Huard

This is war!!! Go hawks!!!

(Feel free to move this)

Post subject: Re: It's on!!!!!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 am 
* NET Sage *

Brock Huard also just observed that water is wet and the sun is hot ;)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 am 
* NET Nobody *

Hasselbeck wrote:
Brock Huard also just observed that water is wet and the sun is hot ;)

Actually he said "Brock Huard also just observed that ***** is wet and the **** is hot"

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:44 am 
NET Practice Squad

War Hawks!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm 
* NET Radish *

We might get to the level of the original "Black and Blue Division" but its doubtful. That was from the 60s & 70s when few of you were even born and definitely before you could type.

It involved defensive players as Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, and rules on hitting that aren't allowed now. But boy were they fun to watch.

The oldest division in Football at first called NFC Central

Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings

After watching NFL football since the late 50s & early 60s I am not in favor of anyone trying to merge that name to our current players & divisions only because that's the oldest division in football and we are in about the youngest.

Not bashing here but no one will ever play to that level again. The only team that wasn't in that division that were among the hardest hitters of all time are the Stillirs of the 70s.

I agree half this division will be hitters. 35% of that half being us and the rest ninnirs. I don't see any sheep or zonas goats ever being described as "hitters".

Thanks to the original poster for remembering one of the most fun to watch divisions in the history of football. Believe it or don't Tampa Bay was in that division for a while.

:les:

p.s. The reason they were called that is because they beat up on each other so much they frequently took themselves out of play off contention. Frequently the only team to make the playoffs was the division winner. The others were frequently good enough or better than many other teams but that was before wild cards, & more play off teams.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:16 am 
NET Veteran

The Radish wrote:
We might get to the level of the original "Black and Blue Division" but its doubtful. That was from the 60s & 70s when few of you were even born and definitely before you could type.

It involved defensive players as Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, and rules on hitting that aren't allowed now. But boy were they fun to watch.

Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings

After watching NFL football since the late 50s & early 60s I am not in favor of anyone trying to merge that name to our current players & divisions only because that's the oldest division in football and we are in about the youngest.

Not bashing here but no one will ever play to that level again. The only team that wasn't in that division that were among the hardest hitters of all time are the Stillirs of the 70s.

I agree half this division will be hitters. 35% of that half being us and the rest ninnirs. I don't see any sheep or zonas goats ever being described as "hitters".

Thanks to the original poster for remembering one of the most fun to watch divisions in the history of football. Believe it or don't Tampa Bay was in that division for a while.

p.s. The reason they were called that is because they beat up on each other so much they frequently took themselves out of play off contention. Frequently the only team to make the playoffs was the division winner. The others were frequently good enough or better than many other teams but that was before wild cards, & more play off teams.

I would only agree with you because the rules are different now. If today's players were allowed to do what was allowed then let alone anything even between 1970-83 those legends would be dead. The crap they were allowed to do was criminal things like head slaps and a million other things right.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 am 
NET Veteran

I'll never forget the game where there was a fumble and the bears and Lions were in a huge pile of bodies when suddenly everyone flew off the pile, Dick Butkus stood up with both massive arms wrapped around the Lion RB's head, twisting to try to get him to let go of the ball. All those players flew off him like rag dolls as he rose from that pile.

Flags flew everywhere.

It was a penalty worthy of Dick Butkus.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 am 
NET Veteran

Not trying to be "that guy" but this isn't war. And I really hate the war/soldier/warrior references when it comes to sports. These guys are athletes playing a game. They should never get confused with those who actually put their lives on the line.

OK rant over, Go Hawks!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:37 am 
NET Veteran

Agree Radish, i miss those days... and i don't think anyone was intentionally trying to compare football to war, think that's a bit of a reach.... just a figure of speech...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:58 am 
NET Veteran

The Radish wrote:

Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings

Not bashing here but no one will ever play to that level again. The only team that wasn't in that division that were among the hardest hitters of all time are the Stillirs of the 70s.I agree half this division will be hitters. 35% of that half being us and the rest ninnirs. I don't see any sheep or zonas goats ever being described as "hitters".

Agree with your post, however I think the Raiders of the late 60s and the 70s were neck and neck with the SteAlers in hard hitting. The Raiders destroyed Minny in the SB by totally mauling them and were a much tougher team than the one from the black and blue division.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am 
* NET Radish *

rainger wrote:
The Radish wrote:

Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings

Not bashing here but no one will ever play to that level again. The only team that wasn't in that division that were among the hardest hitters of all time are the Stillirs of the 70s.I agree half this division will be hitters. 35% of that half being us and the rest ninnirs. I don't see any sheep or zonas goats ever being described as "hitters".

Agree with your post, however I think the Raiders of the late 60s and the 70s were neck and neck with the SteAlers in hard hitting. The Raiders destroyed Minny in the SB by totally mauling them and were a much tougher team than the one from the black and blue division.

Funny,,,I don't see where I mentioned comparing to real "war" anywhere in my post, tho those games were frequently called that. Please don't accuse me of comparing our football players with our military. :141847_bnono:

Agreed about the Ray-Duhs and the team that came along and knocked them flat was the 70s Stillirs. As much as we hate the Stillirs now I cheered that catch and run by Franco for about 15 years. When they took about 15 minutes to confer and then said TD I probably rattled the windows at our house screaming.

Even then the games of the old black and blue division were something to see. Ask Dallas about that division championship playoff game on the truly frozen tundra of Lambeau Field and the play that made Jerry Kramer a hall of fame center. -6 at game time I believe. If you've never seen NFL Films coverage of that game try and find it. Another wonderful job by them.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 am 
* Gangnameister *

Hawkfan77 wrote:
Not trying to be "that guy" but this isn't war. And I really hate the war/soldier/warrior references when it comes to sports. These guys are athletes playing a game. They should never get confused with those who actually put their lives on the line.

OK rant over, Go Hawks!

lol wut?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am 
* NET Nobody *

Hawkfan77 wrote:

OK rant over, Go Hawks!

Good point and it doesn't hurt to bring it up now and again. I'm proud of our players that go to Afghanistan and visit our soldiers and I'm sure they understand the difference. :th2thumbs:

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]