The complete Idiot's guide to our draft

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
The complete Idiot's guide to our draft
Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:59 pm
  • Face it, most of you are like me. You had no idea who any of these people were before Friday. So here's my draft review:

Round 2: A RB who may replace Marshawn in a couple years. Makes sense. I'm hearing he may have off-field issues but what the heck do I know?

Round 3: A DT. OK, I know we need DTs but this guy sounds like another hybrid inside pass rusher. Don't we already have that in Clinton McDonald and Craig Terrill? Maybe he can play bass. Really this tells me Jaye Howard sucks as much as he appeared. Not feeling great about this one.

Round 4: One of those big mid-round WRs who never seem to pan out.

Round 5: This is always the fun round. We got a big run-stuffing DT which is what I wanted earlier and a bad-ass physical CB which is always good. We also got a TE prospect who only really needs to be better Evan Moore was (remember him?).

Round 6: Another RB?? Oh wait, a FB. I thought you just got those off waivers in September. Didn't Tim Ruskell draft like 6 Fullbacks already? How did that work out?

Round 7: A D-lineman who we're converting to OL. I love the arrogance of Tom Cable. In case it doesn't work, we drafted two actual O-linemen. Plus a guy to further confuse the distinction between OLB and LEO. Just when I think I sort these things out I realize I really don't know.

Undrafted guys -- a whole bunch of actual Linebackers, one of whom may be our started by mid-season. Always com-PETE!

Final Grade: 11
    * NET Staff *

• Terrill?
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Here's my short 'n' sweet idiot's guide to our draft. The comparison players are obviously optimistic scenarios, especially with lower picks:

Round 1: Percy Harvin, WR, superstar receiver, and probably a better player than any drafted in this year's first round.

Round 2: Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M, big, explosive running back some are calling the best RB in the draft; a mini-Beast Mode and his eventual replacement. Think Darren McFadden.

Round 3: Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State, pure interior rusher. Great pass rusher with lesser run defense skills. Designed to fix our pass rush issues. Think Brandon Mebane.

Round 4: Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State, physical and muscular possession receiver with good hands and body control. Think Anquan Boldin or Early Doucet.

Round 5: Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama, powerful, physical run-stopper. Think Red Bryant.

Round 5: Tharold Simon, CB, LSU, muscular press cornerback with powerful hands and an aggressive, physical nature. Think Brandon Browner.

Round 5: Luke Willson, TE, Rice, big, fast, strong, and raw tight end whose pro day stats would have all been in the top ten of the position. Think a more refined, upgraded Jameson Konz.

Round 6: Spencer Ware, RB, LSU, violent third-down/goal-line running back that loves contact. Drafted as probably Mike Robinson's replacement. Think Marion Barber.

Round 7: Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt, small school strong and nasty lineman that has snaps at tackle, guard and center. Think Breno Giacomini.

Round 7: Ty Powell, DE, Harding, solid OLB/LEO type that has played DE, LB and safety. Drafted to play LEO. Think Chris Clemons.

Round 7: Jared Smith, DT/OG, New Hampshire, good strength and hustle 3-4 DL. Think another Sweezy-esque DT-to-G conversion project.

Round 7: Michael Bowie, OT, NE Oklahoma State, lanky and mobile left tackle. Think developmental Russell Okung.

Oh, and here's a Field Gulls write-up on our draft.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Sailor... much better for the draft illiterate; you discussed their characteristics and included, in essence, a picture.
    Bravo.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

• Hawkstorian wrote:Face it, most of you are like me. You had no idea who any of these people were before Friday. So here's my draft review:

Round 2: A RB who may replace Marshawn in a couple years. Makes sense. I'm hearing he may have off-field issues but what the heck do I know?

Round 3: A DT. OK, I know we need DTs but this guy sounds like another hybrid inside pass rusher. Don't we already have that in Clinton McDonald and Craig Terrill? Maybe he can play bass. Really this tells me Jaye Howard sucks as much as he appeared. Not feeling great about this one.

Round 4: One of those big mid-round WRs who never seem to pan out.

Round 5: This is always the fun round. We got a big run-stuffing DT which is what I wanted earlier and a bad-ass physical CB which is always good. We also got a TE prospect who only really needs to be better Evan Moore was (remember him?).

Round 6: Another RB?? Oh wait, a FB. I thought you just got those off waivers in September. Didn't Tim Ruskell draft like 6 Fullbacks already? How did that work out?

Round 7: A D-lineman who we're converting to OL. I love the arrogance of Tom Cable. In case it doesn't work, we drafted two actual O-linemen. Plus a guy to further confuse the distinction between OLB and LEO. Just when I think I sort these things out I realize I really don't know.

Undrafted guys -- a whole bunch of actual Linebackers, one of whom may be our started by mid-season. Always com-PETE!

Final Grade: 11

Lol...Craig Terrill.

You may have been thinking about Michael Bennett for a minute - he will be a hybrid inside pass rusher.

I think you might be surprised with Chris Harper. He will be good.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Here's my short 'n' sweet idiot's guide to our draft. The comparison players are obviously optimistic scenarios, especially with lower picks:

Round 1: Percy Harvin, WR, superstar receiver, and probably a better player than any drafted in this year's first round.

Round 2: Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M, big, explosive running back some are calling the best RB in the draft; a mini-Beast Mode and his eventual replacement. Think Darren McFadden.

Round 3: Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State, pure interior rusher. Great pass rusher with lesser run defense skills. Designed to fix our pass rush issues. Think Brandon Mebane.

Round 4: Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State, physical and muscular possession receiver with good hands and body control. Think Anquan Boldin or Early Doucet.

Round 5: Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama, powerful, physical run-stopper. Think Red Bryant.

Round 5: Tharold Simon, CB, LSU, muscular press cornerback with powerful hands and an aggressive, physical nature. Think Brandon Browner.

Round 5: Luke Willson, TE, Rice, big, fast, strong, and raw tight end whose pro day stats would have all been in the top ten of the position. Think a more refined, upgraded Jameson Konz.

Round 6: Spencer Ware, RB, LSU, violent third-down/goal-line running back that loves contact. Drafted as probably Mike Robinson's replacement. Think Marion Barber.

Round 7: Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt, small school strong and nasty lineman that has snaps at tackle, guard and center. Think Breno Giacomini.

Round 7: Ty Powell, DE, Harding, solid OLB/LEO type that has played DE, LB and safety. Drafted to play LEO. Think Chris Clemons.

Round 7: Jared Smith, DT/OG, New Hampshire, good strength and hustle 3-4 DL. Think another Sweezy-esque DT-to-G conversion project.

Round 7: Michael Bowie, OT, NE Oklahoma State, lanky and mobile left tackle. Think developmental Russell Okung.

Oh, and here's a Field Gulls write-up on our draft.

Interesting, hopefully they pan out that way.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Blitzer88 wrote:Interesting, hopefully they pan out that way.

Me too! Still not satisfied with the Luke Willson-Jameson Konz comparison, but can't think of a good example of a big, athletic raw TE type that I'm happy with.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I thought sailor's comparisons were pretty good. I'd make just one change: Hill looks a lot like Rocky Bernard to me. I dont see much of Mebane in him.

On the rest I think he nailed it. Although I like to compare Harper to Brian Blades rather then Boldin, since Blades was a Seahawk. He'll be a chain mover, a run blocker, and has some decent run after the catch abilities, but i dont think he'll be a huge down field threat.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Thanks John....you are pretty much right on...except the Craig Terrill reference, which has already been pointed out.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• This draft wasn't as amazing as the last couple of drafts...
    But still better than any of Timmy's drafts...
    Anyone else still sticking pins in their Ruskell voodoo doll?
    Or am I the only one?
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

• Wartooth wrote:This draft wasn't as amazing as the last couple of drafts...
    Or am I the only one?

My Ken doll is treating my Barbie doll like a pin cushion, does that count? Or is it just weird? :oops:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• ivotuk wrote:
    Wartooth wrote:This draft wasn't as amazing as the last couple of drafts...
    Or am I the only one?

My Ken doll is treating my Barbie doll like a pin cushion, does that count? Or is it just weird? :oops:

I live in Illinois...
    I think it was last year, or the year before they had Timmy stealing air at the Bears headquarters...
    I saw a video clip of him limping around...
    I like to think I had something to do with that...
    If it's true...
    He should be suffering all sorts of ' unexplained' testicular pain.
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

• Terrill hasn't played here in years and Jordan Hill doesn't remind me of anyone on this team.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• How are we able to compare this years draft to the previous years? Noone knew how money those drafts were a few days after they happened. Most thought we failed miserably. I will save my judgement for later, I'm not going to be made a fool of by our FO.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Starter

• You lost me and I stopped reading at Terrill.
    McG
    NET Veteran

• Pretty sure the Craig Terrell line was a joke, hence the thread title. JFC, people. I thought it was funny at least. :)
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• I think quite a few teams with be snatching our guys when we make final cuts.

OP is judging all of these prospects as lukewarm to bust scenarios by referencing the medocre drafts we had under Holmgren and Ruskell (whether he admits that or not). OP also has come out more than once predicting that no other teams would pick up any of our final cuts, and was proven wrong on at leat 2 occasions that I can remember (and he won't acknowledge that when called out :mrgreen: ). OP tends to be a negative Nancy, but he's OUR Nancy and has been with .net for a heckuva long time. Maybe his negative conditioning came from suffering decades of mediocrity...just a guess.

It IS a bit frustrating that the draft history under Pete Carol hasn't noticalbly changed the OP's opinions about potential success of our drafts. Equally frustrating is, if we release many of these players simply because making the roster is more difficult this season, it will appear to the OP that his intuitions were 'right.' :twisted: :P

Here's one more theory. The OP has in-depth knowledge of the salary cap and is a wiz with numbers. Since you can't quantify much of the strengths that make a player successful, maybe he'd rather call them a bust because he can't predict the outcome with a calculator. :P :mrgreen: Some people just have a problem with qualitative data :mrgreen: :P :lol:
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Satire is lost on some people.
    * NET Staff *

• JSeahawks wrote:I thought sailor's comparisons were pretty good. I'd make just one change: Hill looks a lot like Rocky Bernard to me. I dont see much of Mebane in him.

On the rest I think he nailed it. Although I like to compare Harper to Brian Blades rather then Boldin, since Blades was a Seahawk. He'll be a chain mover, a run blocker, and has some decent run after the catch abilities, but i dont think he'll be a huge down field threat.

Brian Blades wasn't 230 lbs like this kid is. As far as body size, he's much more like Boldin.
    Sturm
    NET Veteran

• Hawkstorian wrote:Satire is lost on some people.

I think you might need a touch more hyperbole to make satire stick in writing, especially in a place like this. I think most took it as a down and dirty, basic explanation of our draft, similar to all the published Complete Idiot's Guide material out there. I know I did. It's funnier now that I re-read it, for what it's worth.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• .Net posters have the sense of humor in line with engineers. Make jokes at your own peril.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:Satire is lost on some people.

I think you might need a touch more hyperbole to make satire stick in writing, especially in a place like this. I think most took it as a down and dirty, basic explanation of our draft, similar to all the published Complete Idiot's Guide material out there. I know I did. It's funnier now that I re-read it, for what it's worth.

Ahh yes, satire. Over my head.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information