Stacking up the NFC Wests Draft

chris98251

Reaction score
Figure we could keep an eye on stuff and see by the end of the day tomorrow how things stack up, I'll update tomorrow night and it should bring some interesting thoughts at least. As of today I'm look at the Rams as the biggest improvement so far. I think everyone of the 4 into the 3rd round will be starters or significant roll players.

In fairness the 49ers and us don't need as much improvement as valued depth which I think we got but won't see the impact as much as the Rams will show.

Arizona

Round 1, Pick 7 (7): Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
Round 2, Pick 13 (45) (from Chargers): Kevin Minter, LB, Louisiana State
Round 3, Pick 7 (69): Tyrann Mathieu, CB, Louisiana State
Round 4, Pick 6 (103): Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
Round 4, Pick 19 (116) (from Giants): Earl Watford, OG, James Madison
Round 5, Pick 7 (140): Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
Round 6, Pick 6 (174): Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
Round 6, Pick 19 (187) (from Giants): Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
Round 7, Pick 13 (219) (from Panthers through Raiders): D.C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers

San Francisco

Round 1, Pick 18 (18): Eric Reid, S, Louisiana State
Round 2, Pick 8 (40) (from Titans): Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
Round 2, Pick 23 (55) (from Packers): Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
Round 3, Pick 26 (88) (from Packers): Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn
Round 4, Pick 31 (128): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Round 4, Pick 34 (131) (Compensatory Selection): Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
Round 5, Pick 24 (157) (from Colts): Quinton Dial, DE, Alabama
Round 6, Pick 12 (180) (from Dolphins): Nick Moody, LB, Florida State
Round 7, Pick 31 (237): B.J. Daniels, QB, South Florida
Round 7, Pick 40 (246) (Compensatory Selection): Carter Bykowski, OT, Iowa State
Round 7, Pick 46 (252) (Compensatory Selection): Marcus Cooper, CB, Rutgers

Seattle

Round 2, Pick 30 (62) (from Ravens): Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
Round 3, Pick 25 (87): Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State
Round 4, Pick 26 (123): Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State
Round 5, Pick 4 (137) (from Lions): Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
Round 5, Pick 5 (138) (from Raiders): Tharold Simon, CB, Louisiana State
Round 5, Pick 25 (158): Luke Wilson, TE, Rice
Round 6, Pick 26 (194): Spencer Ware, RB, Louisiana State
Round 7, Pick 14 (220) (from Saints): Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt
Round 7, Pick 25 (231): Ty Powell, DE, Harding
Round 7, Pick 35 (241) (Compensatory Selection): Jared Smith, DT, New Hampshire
Round 7, Pick 36 (242) (Compensatory Selection): Michael Bowie, OT, NE Oklahoma State

St. Louis

Round 1, Pick 8 (8) (from Bills): Tavon Austin, WR West Virginia
Round 1, Pick 30 (30) (from Falcons): Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
Round 3, Pick 9 (71): (from Bills): T.J. McDonald, FS, Southern California
Round 3, Pick 30 (92) (from Falcons): Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
Round 4, Pick 16 (113): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
Round 5, Pick 16 (149): Brandon McGee, CB, Miami
Round 5, Pick 27 (160) (from Texans): Zac Stacy, RB Vanderbilt

bubbrubb

Reaction score
i'm intrigued by tavon austin and mathieu being reggular opponents. Gotta think Mathieu is a response to Austin and Harvin on a regular basis. Alot of people hated on him here, but I think u'll be regretting the fact you will be playing against TM7 twice a year.

kearly

Reaction score
Bubbrubb? Awesome name.

Here, use this-

BubbRubb FOR THE FUCKING WI

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
I think there are a lot of chess moves being made just within our division right now to counter each other, expand that to the league in how we have started to change the culture of the league. Jacksonville, New York, both having the phrases Compete in their statements, looking at how teams are drafting taller CB's and speed speed speed on the edges and going with lighter guys.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Im not afraid of Honey Badger. Harvin is going to smoke that guy so bad.

I also think Austin is a joke. That guy is going to get bent in half playing in the NFC west, seriously, the dude is 5'9" and 170 pounds.

I think Arizona had a great draft. Cooper and Minter are really great prospects and Honey Badger is a wild card. I personally dont think he will be that great since he is a slot corner only but who knows.

Im predicting this right now. Austin will not play all 16 games this year, will probably get injured, and he will be the largest bust in the NFC West from this draft

Having said that I think the rams did pretty good with their other picks and should probably be a bit better. Their WR core is young though. Didnt they draft 2 guys last year at WR? And then they drafted 2 again this year.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Why do I feel like I'm sleeping on St. Louis. I have a feeling they are going to have a good season this year.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3v9fnnof said:
I think Arizona had a great draft. Cooper and Minter are really great prospects and Honey Badger is a wild card. I personally dont think he will be that great since he is a slot corner only but who knows.
Apparently the tweety birds are planning to start him out at free safety. According to Sando.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Austin = Darren Sprowles ...
These types of players are dynamic playmakers ... and will give teams lots of problems.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I have a feeling Austin and Bailey are going to be a very good combo and help Bradford out alot. I think Bailey will be seen as one of the steals of this draft and Austin will live up to his billing as a stud type game changer. I am very curious to see what they do in their running game but with Fisher leading and building this team, I have little doubt he already has something up his sleeve.

As for Austin getting injured. I don't see it. He is extremely slippery and will likely be playing short field and out of the back field. I also don't see Bradford laying him out for those violent hits like Keapernick did to VD.

I like what the Rams are doing and believe they will surpass the Niners soon, if not already. Fisher has shown he has a plan and knows how to execute it. The Rams will end up being our biggest challenge in the near future and I think the funnest competition to watch.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I see SEA, SF, STL all being powerhouses this year. I don't see ARI competing at all. Their offense has been horrible, and yet only one of their first three picks addressed any issue. I don't understand their draft at all. The rest of us have done well so far.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I think all four NFC West teams have had decent to good drafts so far. If St. Louis can protect Bradford long enough for him to get the ball to his new weapons then they're going to be tough. I can see 3 playoff teams coming from the NFCW this coming season.

60niners

Reaction score
Was really hoping the Niners would take a chance on Honey Badger... but I don't think they have any room for a new CB right now with the current contracts.

Should be a fantastic pick for the cards.

Decimation

Reaction score
bubbrubb":21i8yb1b said:
i'm intrigued by tavon austin and mathieu being reggular opponents. Gotta think Mathieu is a response to Austin and Harvin on a regular basis. Alot of people hated on him here, but I think u'll be regretting the fact you will be playing against TM7 twice a year.
Whoa.. is that?

...A Cardinals fan?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You have seen Austin before.

Go look up the name Metcalf.... Austin was a GREAT pick and he will win games for them. Combine that with a great coach and the fact that now they actually have weapons for their QB, St. Louis is going to be even more dangerous and we just squeaked by them as it was. And frankly, their coach has a track record of being scary anyway.

San Francisco also fixed some of their problems, because as you remember they really didn't rotate guys. They had great starters and almost no depth. That is one reason that the "lights out" thing helped them so much in the SB. They could be very good but would get tired. Also, they are just loading the team up with guys that attack QBs. In a passing league you can either field a great pass defense (like we had) or you can just attack the QB. They got better and they didn't really have many holes to begin with.

As far as the Cards go, they had a pretty stout defense they just had no offense - so the defense was getting worn out halfway through the games. I am not sure how picking more defensive players helps them at all. I would have picked the kid from Syracuse or an OL, they needed QBs and a line to keep their QBs upright. More corners and a LB doesn't really help much though kid420 can probably return punts and kicks or something to keep their best CB from getting hurt.

Hawks46

Reaction score
As far as keeping pace, so far I'm not seeing our draft being huge, we're just plugging gaps and kind of looking to the future on some of these picks.

I think as far as talent, we are such a young team, I'm theorizing we'll get more production out of our younger players' development more than the draft at this point.

The 49ers seem to have gotten more talent, but will Harbaugh actually play them ?

The Rams draft is looking scary solid and they worry me. With the way their defense is developing, it will keep them in a lot of games.

Don't sleep on the Cards; Palmer has the kind of arm to attack downfield like Arians likes. I just don't see them improving on offense enough in this draft, but their defense is good enough to hang with anybody, provided their new DC is worth a damn.

BASF

Reaction score
The Cards had to replace Adrian Wilson, who is finally off that damn team, and I believe Kid420 (great nickname for him TwistedHusky) will take that role.

I think Ogeltree may end up being the replacement for Laurinaitis in a year or two as his cap hit is getting ridiculous if I remember correctly.

With the Niners pairing Carradine and Lemonier, their D-Line depth just got much much better.

BamKam

Reaction score
Honey Badger is going to be a good player in the NFL. He just needs to come up with a better method to pass his random drug tests.

Latest posts