Is Aaron Rogers 110 Mil Contract a look into the future?

Shock2k

Reaction score
This kind of stuff makes me nervous. Seriously, how much is Russell Wilson going to cost this team in three years? Anyone remember what happened to the Rangers after they gave A-Rod that ridiculous 252 million dollar contract? The Rangers spent the next 4 years in the basement of the AL West.

Put Flacco and Baltimore into that same category. Are these teams just setting themselves up for mediocrity?

And what happens when Russell Wilson's contract comes up. Are we going to need to pay him 15% of the total Cap space of our team in order to keep him? I would almost rather pick up another QB in 2 years to have another option. And that is coming from somebody who absolutely LOVES Russell Wilson, but nothing or nobody trumps my love for the Seahawks.

One thing I don't like about the NFL is there is just no loyalty, which is fair, as the teams don't show any loyalty so why should players. (Moffit said it best when he said it a business now more than “ra ra, win one for the gipper).

The one thing we have going for us right now is we "look" like a total powerhouse, and are attracting players that just want to play for the Seahawks.

The only team with real long term success I've seen is the Patriots, and with our front office we could definitely see that kind of long term success, but it will be at the cost of surprise player releases at minimum and a revolving door at the worst case.

Is it total Pollyanna to think they could sit our best guys in three years, sit them in a room and say: "Look we know you are worth this Sherman, and you are worth this Wilson, and you are worth this Browner and Thomas, but we can't pay you that and keep all of you. But we could do this...."

Of course let's be honest, most of these guys say, "hey Agent, get me the best money possible."

Alright, there is a real question here: Is there a universe where we could keep all our core primary players, or should we just get ready for heartbrake.

chris98251

Reaction score
The agent gets a cut, of course they are going for the biggest payday, it's when the player wants to stay in a location and dictates what and who the agent will talk to that we are hoping for. Pete has built a family environment that players like, that and he has upheld his promises. That is key, players are used to having wind blown up their asses and then management going another direction.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
chris98251":1cszzr1s said:
...players are used to having wind blown up their asses and then management going another direction.

Exactly. I like your comment on the type of environment Carroll is building. That seems to be a common theme from around the league when they talk about the Hawks "locker room".

Bro's before Ho's (i.e. NFL Agents) Hawks! Don't forget the 12 man wants you around baby!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
If Wilson becomes one of the best QBs in the league and wins a superbowl he can have all the money he wants

SE174

Reaction score
Am I naive for thinking that Russell isn't going to try to financially rape us? I mean, don't get me wrong, the kid is going to get paid, but he's the antithesis of selfish and materialistic. I could see him getting extended after year 3 (apropos), somewhere in the 14-17M/yr range.

Pstark3

Reaction score
SE174":3dcb1agg said:
Am I naive for thinking that Russell isn't going to try to financially rape us? I mean, don't get me wrong, the kid is going to get paid, but he's the antithesis of selfish and materialistic. I could see him getting extended after year 3 (apropos), somewhere in the 14-17M/yr range.
You're not alone.. I just cant see him wanting rediculous amounts of $ like Flacco and Rodgers

A

Anonymous

I say RW takes decent but not extraordinary money when the time comes.

I'm hearing so many say Russell as the posterboy for work ethic and personal life decisions, and will put money behind being a great person. I agree to an extent, but just like the judicial system, there are precedents which will dictate his contract details.

He will eventually sign a contract that will be OK with all the other players in the league, OK with the NFLPA, and OK with his wife. Russell will have little to say about it.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
When players start chasing ridiculous record numbers (like Brees chasing 5000 yards, and all those other QB records) or when a team like Green Bay ignores their running backs and force Rogers to throw almost every down ... these guys will ask for money, because of the TV Hype.
If the Seahawks remain a balanced team: Run first and throw second, great defense and excellent special team, ... and so on, then our QB needs to understand that they need to just be a piece of the puzzle ... I doubt they will ask for $$$

SuperHawks

Reaction score
Maybe I'm naive too but I can't fathom RW holding us hostage for a deal that will harm the team. Sure he's going to get his much deserved payday but not at the cost of significantly harming the team.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Red Bryant, Marshawn Lynch, Kam Chancellor all got paid their market value their was no friendly discount, I don't expect any different from Sherman, Thomas, or Russell.