Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:15 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 pm
Posts: 5301
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon
kearly wrote:
I liked the Christine Pick more than any pick last year that wasn't Russell Wilson. People that are bashing this pick misunderstand Seattle's long term outlook at RB while failing to value Michael's intense upside. When the haters see this guy in pads, they won't be hating for long. Trust me. Remember how pissed we were when Seattle dealt Ahman Green? Because Christine Michael is a virtual Ahman Green clone. I'd say he did alright for himself.

I feel confident that Seattle just drafted one of the core pieces a championship team today.

Some people have NO IDEA how much more explosive this team has gotten this offseason, and the Seahawks still have 10 picks left in a loaded day 3. Michael is as explosive as it gets at RB. Ditto Harvin at WR. We added some major spark on defense too. This was already an explosive team. This is a freaking scary team, and it just got downright disgusting with Michael added, IMO.



HOLY HAND GRENADE IM SO EXCITED I ACCIDENTALLY CAPSLOCK

*edit*

But seriously...I love this front office with a passion. I think they have not only built a championship defense, but now a championship offense for sure. Such a dynamic team.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:08 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
Posts: 4366
Location: Southern CA
I can think of a couple of guys who didn't pop off the charts initially when Pete and his staff were recruiting at USC. They were both considered too small, etc. But both guys had that non-stop motor, that will to outwork other guys. One worked his way into a scholarship out of high school by showing in camps that he could get the job done in spite of his size. The other walked on and worked his way up.

Those two guys are Ryan Kalil and Clay Matthews III.

Let's not forget that an awful lot of people thought a certain QB was too short, as well.

Athletic measurables are only part of the picture.

_________________
Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 am 
* Smackmeister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm
Posts: 6894
My jimmies are thoroughly unrustled.

_________________
President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm
Posts: 1960
I liked our draft . They filled the needs we had at DT Jordan Hill looks like a slightly smaller but quicker Kawaan Short , i'll take that. Williams is a huge space eating run stuffer that can collapse the pocket i'll take that to. And they may have gotten the steal of this draft with Michael. I really like the physical CB and WR they added as well.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:53 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:09 am
Posts: 305
Loved all of the media phone interviews after the picks were made


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:53 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
Posts: 2985
Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest
I'm not steamed, but I'm not overly excited. I am sure that once we get to camp and the preseason, I'll get what these guys are all about, just as happened last year with Wilson, Turbin, Wagner, and Lane, all guys who knocked me out as I saw them play and progress.

I do really like the Jesse Williams pick, and if Michael can stay healthy, I think a Michael/Turbin backfield for our future is a great one. After that, I need to see everyone play. Believe me, I won't be shocked if a guy like Jordan Hill ends up making a Brandon Mebane cut possible next year, for one example.

_________________
"Well, I like the 49ers because they're pure of heart, Seattle because they've got something to prove, and the Raiders because they always cheat."

-Lisa Simpson

Well, at least Lisa got two of three right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9819
sc85sis wrote:
I can think of a couple of guys who didn't pop off the charts initially when Pete and his staff were recruiting at USC. They were both considered too small, etc. But both guys had that non-stop motor, that will to outwork other guys. One worked his way into a scholarship out of high school by showing in camps that he could get the job done in spite of his size. The other walked on and worked his way up.

Those two guys are Ryan Kalil and Clay Matthews III.

Let's not forget that an awful lot of people thought a certain QB was too short, as well.

Athletic measurables are only part of the picture.


Kalil and Matthews are incredible athletes with strong NFL bloodlines. Not the best examples, IMO. I think a much better USC example would be Brian Cushing. He was skinny as a rail when he arrived at USC, IIRC he was a walkon too. Sure, he roided up like a madman, but he's a great example of a guy with heart that turned himself into an NFL star at an athleticism dependent position.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:25 pm 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm
Posts: 612
If the draft grade thread is any indication, people aren't steamed. Most seem to feel the draft was at least average with or without including Harvin. Dissonance may play a part, particularly like the OP is suggesting with our 3rd round selection, but I'd have to guess the biggest contributor to the negativity is the fallout from heightened expectations. Our FO was basically clairvoyant for the first three rounds last year and just about any selections we made this year weren't going to top that, particularly for our short-term speculation and gratification (which we've become much less patient with since the SB expectations emerged).


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am
Posts: 2227
AbsolutNET wrote:
Anyone who is steamed over the picks needs to get over themselves. You really think you have a right to be angry because the team didn't pick who YOU wanted?


Thats like 90% of the draft day forum.... lol

_________________
The artist formerly known as T-Sizzle


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:45 am
Posts: 15
If I had to attach a grade to the Seahawks draft

c-

I'm not an expert, however, and I'll trust the administration is trying to do what they can to make the team better.

I think they drafted a lot for depth.

Don't really have anything good to say after that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:42 pm 
*Bacon Eating Crusader*
*Bacon Eating Crusader*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 am
Posts: 2431
Location: San Antonio, TX by way of Kalispell, MT
I put myself in the corner and refuse to say anything regarding our draft picks after I had a mini-tantrum last year when we drafted RW..

_________________
_____________________

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:16 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am
Posts: 575
Location: Walla Walla
xtm059 wrote:
I think they drafted a lot for depth.


That's what you do when your roster is fairly set from the previous year and bolstered through wise free agency moves. It's such a novelty to many of us, we don't know how to rate it objectively.

_________________
____________
BLUE and GREEN...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3092
I wonder if Niner fans whined this much about "drafting for depth" after their team used a second on LaMichael James a year after drafting Kendall Hunter in the 4th to be their back up RB (sound famiiliar?). Good thing they did. Hunter got hurt and James won them the game in New England (and basically the division).


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:14 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am
Posts: 2227
kearly wrote:
Because Christine Michael is a virtual Ahman Green clone. I'd say he did alright for himself.
.


Ahman Green ran a 4.19 40 yard dash at his pro day.

_________________
The artist formerly known as T-Sizzle


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:41 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
Posts: 4366
Location: Southern CA
kearly wrote:
sc85sis wrote:
I can think of a couple of guys who didn't pop off the charts initially when Pete and his staff were recruiting at USC. They were both considered too small, etc. But both guys had that non-stop motor, that will to outwork other guys. One worked his way into a scholarship out of high school by showing in camps that he could get the job done in spite of his size. The other walked on and worked his way up.

Those two guys are Ryan Kalil and Clay Matthews III.

Let's not forget that an awful lot of people thought a certain QB was too short, as well.

Athletic measurables are only part of the picture.


Kalil and Matthews are incredible athletes with strong NFL bloodlines. Not the best examples, IMO. I think a much better USC example would be Brian Cushing. He was skinny as a rail when he arrived at USC, IIRC he was a walkon too. Sure, he roided up like a madman, but he's a great example of a guy with heart that turned himself into an NFL star at an athleticism dependent position.

Nope. Cush wasn't skinny when he showed up. He got that way after hurting his shoulder his freshman year. We had so many injuries on D that he had to play anyway and was practically a one-armed man by the time we got to the Rose Bowl game against Texas. He had surgery a day or so after that game. He was a highly touted player that was on scholie from day one.

Lofa might be a better example. Likewise for Troy Polamalu. Neither was highly ranked and they both basically got scholarships as legacy guys at USC.

_________________
Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My theory for why everyone's so steamed.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:09 pm 
* NET E-Knight *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am
Posts: 4157
sc85sis wrote:
kearly wrote:
sc85sis wrote:
I can think of a couple of guys who didn't pop off the charts initially when Pete and his staff were recruiting at USC. They were both considered too small, etc. But both guys had that non-stop motor, that will to outwork other guys. One worked his way into a scholarship out of high school by showing in camps that he could get the job done in spite of his size. The other walked on and worked his way up.

Those two guys are Ryan Kalil and Clay Matthews III.

Let's not forget that an awful lot of people thought a certain QB was too short, as well.

Athletic measurables are only part of the picture.


Kalil and Matthews are incredible athletes with strong NFL bloodlines. Not the best examples, IMO. I think a much better USC example would be Brian Cushing. He was skinny as a rail when he arrived at USC, IIRC he was a walkon too. Sure, he roided up like a madman, but he's a great example of a guy with heart that turned himself into an NFL star at an athleticism dependent position.

Nope. Cush wasn't skinny when he showed up. He got that way after hurting his shoulder his freshman year. We had so many injuries on D that he had to play anyway and was practically a one-armed man by the time we got to the Rose Bowl game against Texas. He had surgery a day or so after that game. He was a highly touted player that was on scholie from day one.

Lofa might be a better example. Likewise for Troy Polamalu. Neither was highly ranked and they both basically got scholarships as legacy guys at USC.


Great post.

_________________
cboom wrote:
Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atradees, AVL, BirdsCommaAngry, danp1990, Google [Bot], HawkAroundTheClock, hgwellz12, IcedHawk, kf3339, Mitch, Mr. McGibblets, samwize77, Seahwkgal, UK_Seahawk and 59 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.