Cap Casualty: Tate or Rice?

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I ask this before we start the 2nd round because there's a chance we may draft a WR today. Picking a WR when we already have fairly good depth at the position might raise questions on the longevity of some of these players as Seahawks. Obviously, the 2013 season will probably give us a clearer indication of what we will do with our guys.

Personally, I hope we restructure Sidney Rice and re-sign/extend Golden Tate. Sid can catch every damn ball within 10 feet of him, and always seems to put his body on the line. You can tell he has a lot more pride in being a Hawk this year than he did last year. Tate has been one of the most entertaining players I have ever seen on the team. He has developed a whole lot of valuable chemistry with Dangeruss on and off the field.

A lot of you think today we will draft a future replacement for one them. Who do you think will eventually be replaced and what scenario do you hope for?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hope Sidney and Percy become BFFs, and Sidney reworks his deal considerably to stay here.

Frankly, I'm torn between which one I'd rather keep. They're different kinds of receivers. I want both. :(

chevelle03

Reaction score
to keep them both Rice will have to take a considerable pay cut, and Tate will have to sign for well below market value (if he plays like he did last year, anyway).

Barthawk

Reaction score
Good discussion for next offseason I think.. I think we are going to draft a WR in the 2/3rd in order to plan for the inevitable departure of one of those two guys next season.. Tate via UFA or Rice as a cap casualty.

Would not be surprised to see Tate traded today either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1no58kvs said:
Rice is going to have to restructure if he wants to stay

Yep.

My hope is that he has another productive year, then restructures at a lower salary, but for another year or two. Rice is only 26, so he's got at least another good 4-5 years left if he can stay healthy........maybe even longer.

Largent80

Reaction score
Rice has a huge number this year and Tate is in a contract year.

To me, long term, Tate has way more upside than Rice.

Barthawk

Reaction score
chevelle03":t1e5hdoi said:
Miller's contract will also be in discussion.

Miller's cap # is about half of what it is this season.. he should be safe if he continues to produce like he did at the end of the season.. RW and Miller had it going in DEC and the playoffs..

razgriz737

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7eoshweo said:
I hope Sidney and Percy become BFFs, and Sidney reworks his deal considerably to stay here.

Frankly, I'm torn between which one I'd rather keep. They're different kinds of receivers. I want both. :(
I'm with ya on that one.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Rice
2013 9,700,000
2014 9,700,000
2015 10,200,000

Harvin
2013 4,900,000
2014 13,400,000
2015 12,900,000
2016 12,300,000
2017 12,350,000

Tate
2013 784,375
2014 911,875

Baldwin
2013 560,833

We're fine this season, but 2014... it will be interesting to see how they move $$ around. Harvin will have the highest salary on the team, with Rice at #3, two receivers in the Top 3 paid players on the team? Hhhhmmm

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'd probably rather keep Tate long term simply because I do not trust Rice to stay healthy. Has Tate ever even gotten hurt?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Too soon to make judgments like this. I'm guessing Tate's market value will depend almost entirely on his production this year. He's an unconventional player and still a bit of a mystery. Good chance he's available at a bargain price next year. However, he also has the potential to blow up in year four like Jordy Nelson.

And what if Rice goes off for something like 1,200 yards next year? This seems entirely plausible to me. He was easily our best receiver on the field last year, and everyone is expecting this offense to open up and take off even further. All of a sudden, $9-10 million sounds pretty reasonable. Would you cut a 1,000 yard receiver?

These guys will be competing like everyone else. Obviously, tough decisions will eventually need to be made.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3g1tu1a9 said:
To me, long term, Tate has way more upside than Rice.

While I don't disagree that Tate hasn't fully tapped his potential, my feeling is that with Harvin Tate's now become expendable. He's kinda caught in no man's land as a receiver..........he's not big enough for the X (split end) position, and he's not fast enough to be a true burner Z position.

So how do you justify giving him a new deal next year, even if Rice leaves? I personally don't want to commit big dollars to Tate when IMO on this team he's never going to be more than a 40 catch a year guy. I'd rather keep Rice and draft a burner to develop this year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
It's WAY too soon to be discussing this with any amount of certainty. It's still not impossible that they extend Tate before the season even starts. There is just too much going on pre draft and pre preseason to really be able to judge it IMO

razgriz737

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":xy3s7cml said:
I'd probably rather keep Tate long term simply because I do not trust Rice to stay healthy. Has Tate ever even gotten hurt?
I remember something happened to his leg in preseason (this year? Last year?) while returning a punt, but it seemed to be a freak accident type thing. I don't think it has bothered him since.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Tate today unless we can get a mid-2nd rounder for him, and pick up Robert Woods.