Dan Quinn as a potential upgrade

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I might be the only one on the planet Earth who wasn't a fan of Gus Bradley, but I much prefer Dan Quinn's personality to Bradley's. Quinn's more even-keeled, actually says stuff that is substantive and interesting in his interviews, and doesn't yell out everything or constantly laugh out loud for no reason. Personally, I find those "always positive, always smiling, big belly laughs all the time" guys like Gus Bradley will come off as a bit suspicious/fake to me. I suppose that says more about me than Gus, but that's just the way it is. I also think Quinn could be a bit more cerebral, and better at coming up with creative schemes than Bradley, even if there is a small drop-off in Quinn's ability to fire up and motivate his players compared to Bradley. I think, overall, Quinn's hiring could be a net positive this year for the Hawks, and hopefully will end up in more pressure on the QB from the d-line and linebackers than what we saw last year.

jamsomatic

Reaction score
It's Pwte's defense. (Until it fails-then it belongs to Quinn)

Having said that, we will be better on defense this year. We got some good new players and they play in Quinn's forte the DLINE.

Plus the rest of the guys in the back seven are veterans now and familiar with each other and Pwte's system.

You're indignations and expectations will be realizations of a manifestation. Yo.

JKent82

Reaction score
I always find it weird to analyze how coaches personal interactions with players will go. We don't know either of them.

Though I'm excited for Quinn to come back. Personally I think the best thing is the chance to have outside eyes look at last years tape and have a more open mind on what works and what doesn't, while still knowing the system and some of the players personally.

Basis4day

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":2fy5y612 said:
I might be the only one on the planet Earth who wasn't a fan of Gus Bradley, but I much prefer Dan Quinn's personality to Bradley's. Quinn's more even-keeled, actually says stuff that is substantive and interesting in his interviews, and doesn't yell out everything or constantly laugh out loud for no reason. Personally, I find those "always positive, always smiling, big belly laughs all the time" guys like Gus Bradley will come off as a bit suspicious/fake to me. I suppose that says more about me than Gus, but that's just the way it is. I also think Quinn could be a bit more cerebral, and better at coming up with creative schemes than Bradley, even if there is a small drop-off in Quinn's ability to fire up and motivate his players compared to Bradley. I think, overall, Quinn's hiring could be a net positive this year for the Hawks, and hopefully will end up in more pressure on the QB from the d-line and linebackers than what we saw last year.

We could have blitzed from the LB spot more last year if we wanted to. We chose not to because our philosophy was to have the LBs in coverage and not open up space for a big play.

G

CalgaryHawk":y3uw1ddt said:

You're definitely not the only one... This post speaks for me 100%. :th2thumbs:

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Im excited to see what Quinn brings to the table... but I can't bee the only person annoyed how Gus gets all of the blame for our defensive shortcomings yet PC gets all of the credit for being the mastermind of the defense.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think a lot of people were frustrated with Gus after the multiple late game collapses and poor game plans going into Washington and Atlanta. That being said, he was the coordinator for the #1 scoring defense last year and all the players love him, so you can't take too much away from him.

I'm really excited to see what Quinn can do. I feel like he proved his mettle as a defensive playcaller at Florida, and I really love what I hear about him as a teacher. He has the upside to do for the D-Line what Cable has done for the O-Line and what Carroll has done for the DBs.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3hemdukn said:
I think a lot of people were frustrated with Gus after the multiple late game collapses and poor game plans going into Washington and Atlanta. That being said, he was the coordinator for the #1 scoring defense last year and all the players love him, so you can't take too much away from him.

I'm really excited to see what Quinn can do. I feel like he proved his mettle as a defensive playcaller at Florida, and I really love what I hear about him as a teacher. He has the upside to do for the D-Line what Cable has done for the O-Line and what Carroll has done for the DBs.
Exactly this. Every word of it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":15d75ixu said:

I wasn't a fan of Bradley or his passive soft-zone schemes defense either, and was quite vocal about it. His choice to play soft-zone with the DB's with 30 seconds to play very well might have cost the Hawks a Lombardi....... I hope Quinn is more aggressive than Bradley was.