Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:02 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:Would be interesting if this signing was just a smokescreen to disguise their interest in a QB in the draft.

    Yep, signing a former UDFA who has never made an NFL roster and barely completed 40% of his passes in the UFL, is going to ease any team that might have previously thought we weren't going to take a QB. To REALLY disguise that interest, we should bring back Derek Devine as well. Nobody would expect us to take a QB after that.
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 3555
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: St. Louis, MO


Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:08 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Would be interesting if this signing was just a smokescreen to disguise their interest in a QB in the draft.

    Yep, signing a former UDFA who has never made an NFL roster and barely completed 40% of his passes in the UFL, is going to ease any team that might have previously thought we weren't going to take a QB. To REALLY disguise that interest, we should bring back Derek Devine as well. Nobody would expect us to take a QB after that.


    That line of reasoning doesn't really work because by that rationale we shouldn't have even signed him in the first place. Teams usually like to have four arms in camp. Seattle has met that threshold. Carrying only three tips the need to sign at least one more FA or pick up an arm somewhere in the draft.

    Of course, my primary thinking is that they either really do have legitimate interest in kicking the tires with him or want a legitimate arm for the rookie mini-camp.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3912
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Would be interesting if this signing was just a smokescreen to disguise their interest in a QB in the draft.

    Yep, signing a former UDFA who has never made an NFL roster and barely completed 40% of his passes in the UFL, is going to ease any team that might have previously thought we weren't going to take a QB. To REALLY disguise that interest, we should bring back Derek Devine as well. Nobody would expect us to take a QB after that.


    That line of reasoning doesn't really work because by that rationale we shouldn't have even signed him in the first place. Teams usually like to have four arms in camp. Seattle has met that threshold. Carrying only three tips the need to sign at least one more FA or pick up an arm somewhere in the draft.

    Of course, my primary thinking is that they either really do have legitimate interest in kicking the tires with him or want a legitimate arm for the rookie mini-camp.


    I can agree with your last sentence. I don't see this as being any different than the countless other backups we sign at this time of year; Johnson is a guy with some interesting physical tools, but is a super long shot to ever factor into anything on this team, and definitely won't factor into anything this team does with the draft in the next two days.
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 3555
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: St. Louis, MO


Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:47 pm
  • Love this signing, and Jerrod Johnson is a legit competitor for backup QB. Physically, he's basically a slightly slower Colin Kaepernick. Question is, which is the REAL Jerrod Johnson? I'm betting that the real Jerrod Johnson is the 30TD, 8INT guy from 2009, the guy who BEAT OUT NFL 1st round pick, Miami Dolphins starting QB, Seahawks-killer Ryan Tannehill TWICE in open competition (or was it three times?)

    Alright, enough talking crap about guys. It's money time. I got $1* that says Jerrod Johnson is in the employment of the Seattle Seahawks on opening day of the 2013 season, either on the 53-man roster, on the practice squad, or stashed on IR with a really bad hangnail. I think the preseason will be very entertaining with Quinn and Johnson as dueling gunslingers trying to win the backup job. Who sez I'm full of it and betting against me? PM me for a piece of the action.
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 699
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:56 pm
  • This signing is even more intriguing to me now that the draft has come and gone. Seattle passed on a number of relatively big name QBs, including some they brought in for workouts. At the very least, this suggests Seattle considers him a better prospect than Matt Scott, right?
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3912
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:59 pm
  • Seattle had EVERY opportunity to draft Matt Scott and keep him from going elsewhere, with all their late-round picks. Their actions in the draft CLEARLY show that they value Jerrod Johnson higher than Matt Scott. I say they would have burned a 7th on him if they were that interested.
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 699
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:Love this signing, and Jerrod Johnson is a legit competitor for backup QB. Physically, he's basically a slightly slower Colin Kaepernick. Question is, which is the REAL Jerrod Johnson? I'm betting that the real Jerrod Johnson is the 30TD, 8INT guy from 2009, the guy who BEAT OUT NFL 1st round pick, Miami Dolphins starting QB, Seahawks-killer Ryan Tannehill TWICE in open competition (or was it three times?)

    Alright, enough talking crap about guys. It's money time. I got $1* that says Jerrod Johnson is in the employment of the Seattle Seahawks on opening day of the 2013 season, either on the 53-man roster, on the practice squad, or stashed on IR with a really bad hangnail. I think the preseason will be very entertaining with Quinn and Johnson as dueling gunslingers trying to win the backup job. Who sez I'm full of it and betting against me? PM me for a piece of the action.

    Well, he's no David Green, but you might still be right.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

    Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2700
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


Previous


It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information