Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:50 pm
  • @Curtis_Crabtree The #Seahawks have agreed to terms with QB Jerrod Johnson. Johnson played at Texas A&M.

@JerrodJohnson1 Seattle it is. #Seahawks http://instagram.com/p/YgSblhmQmf/
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 pm
  • When he was a junior, I was so high on this guy.

Then he had maybe the worst senior fall I have ever seen. He looked like playing football made his balls hurt.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:56 pm
  • He was whispered to be a first/second round candidate. I like the signing.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:02 pm
  • Another arm for mini camps and preseason, if it works out for us great, if it works out for him to get a shot elsewhere after we cut him great for him. If not then at least we don't have to wear out Wilson's arm before the season starts
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:03 pm
  • Can't be any worse then Portis, right Throwdown?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:23 pm
  • Another guy that may have the attitude, chip on his shoulder, to want to prove the NFL wrong about him.

That story sound familiar????

Anyone know what he did last year as it appears he wasn't in school if he is not in this years draft?

GO HAWKS!!!
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:24 pm
  • This guy sucks. Probably just covering our a$$es in case an UDFA they're looking at gets drafted or signs somewhere else this weekend. Bet you $1 he doesn't make it to the initial cutdown to 75.
    RobBaker7714409
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:51 pm
  • No risk/some reward. Let's see what happens

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:58 pm
  • I wonder what Jerrod Johnson could do as a hybrid tight end or h-back.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm
  • I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the only QB we end up carrying into the regular season that is currently on our roster is Russell Wilson.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 pm
  • He sounds like a good no risk pick up if healthy. In college he had an excellent arm.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:09 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the only QB we end up carrying into the regular season that is currently on our roster is Russell Wilson.

I'll to the same except my guess is two QBs... Russell and Brady Quinn.

Quinn is the perfect back-up for RW. They'll work real well together and Quinn will support Russell better than Portis, Johnson or anybody we select in the draft.

I figure that we'll draft a QB and one of he, Portis or Johnson will be the team's 3rd QB for 2013.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:16 pm
  • No risk, solid reward: that's an outstanding move for the front office to make. I like it a lot. And we don't need him to be a world beater. Hell, we don't even need him to make the team. But if he does, and does better than expected, it's another no-name-into-a-solid-move for the Seahawks.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 pm
  • 6' 5" 251 lbs. That is one big dude.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:25 pm
  • Going into his senior season Johnson was projected as a possible first-round pick in the 2011 draft. He struggled a bit during the first half of the season, particularly with INT's, and Mike Sherman gave him a quick hook in favor of the ascending Ryan Tannehill, who proceeded to finish strong and render Johnson a backup to finish the season (and undrafted player). A should injury also affected Johnson's arm strength, particularly during the pre-draft process, and he got a tad heavy too (not JaMarcus Russell heavy, but he was toting a small all-season radial around his waist). Assuming his arm strength is back and he's in shape, this is a poor man's Josh Freeman, or at least a more athletic Byron Leftwich type. He's also a strong character guy who played in a relatively pro-style offense in college. Don't discount this signing, with some mechanical work and a few adjustments to his footwork, Johnson can legitimately compete if he comes in healthy, fit and prepared.
    Last edited by NorthDallas40oz on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 pm
  • Hmmm TE maybe?
    Can he run routes.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm
  • He participated at the TAM pro-day. Scouts were pretty positive. Said he was throwing 70 yard bombs. Apparently he has a new, more natural throwing motion.

He was a fan fav with the steelers in pre-season last year. He is probably better than EJ Manual, and cost us no draft pick.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:09 pm

• Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:13 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Can't be any worse then Portis, right Throwdown?

How dumb are you gonna feel when Mr. Portis wins the back up job though?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm
  • Looks fast would work well in the read option, throwing motion is all over, chest high, short arm relase and sort of side arm at times. If that can be converted to a more over the top with his accuracy intact from the highlights of the season on the bottom vid he could be a hidden gem.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:21 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Looks fast would work well in the read option, throwing motion is all over, chest high, short arm relase and sort of side arm at times. If that can be converted to a more over the top with his accuracy intact from the highlights of the season on the bottom vid he could be a hidden gem.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/college ... r-nfl-shot

Says he reconstructed his throwing motion.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:58 pm
  • RobBaker7714409 wrote:This guy sucks. Probably just covering our a$$es in case an UDFA they're looking at gets drafted or signs somewhere else this weekend. Bet you $1 he doesn't make it to the initial cutdown to 75.

Ugh, I really thought the day with these types of posts were over...

I love this move, no risk but the reward could be huge.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:00 pm
  • Another mobile like QB, I like it.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:51 pm
  • Gotta be better than Flynn. :stirthepot:

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:55 pm
  • so no Matt Scott then
    Pick6
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:59 pm
  • He completed 42% of his passes in the UFL last year. Seems likely that he'll push somebody off the roster, probably Wilson.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:16 pm
  • You can't be a NFL qb if you were a backup in college

Sincerely,

Tom Brady

Seriously though I like it. Close enoug to the cut before, been working and commiting to making it. Will come in and work very hard and should be able to contribute just with a professional approach. I wouldn't mind someone pushing Quinn so he doesn't get comfortable as backup....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 pm
  • It's just a highlight reel, but some of those passes are brilliant. I've no problem letting him come in and compete with Portis and Quinn and anyone else. Ultimately, I hope we become a backup QB farm, kind of like GB under Favre, so we can trade our backups away for good pics every year or two. If we can recycle Johnson, then grand!
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:38 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    RobBaker7714409 wrote:This guy sucks. Probably just covering our a$$es in case an UDFA they're looking at gets drafted or signs somewhere else this weekend. Bet you $1 he doesn't make it to the initial cutdown to 75.

I too was hoping that these type of posts were over and done with, but I guess that there are some that see themselves as a better talent evaluator than the Seahawks front office boys SMH.
    Speaking frankly now, I'm hoping JJ has a re-awakening, and Wilson shows he and Quinn how to get back in their groove.
    Johnson was an outstanding QB, that didn't get anywhere near the recognition or accolades he justly deserved.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Quotes from people who saw him throw to draft prospects at the A&M Pro Day this year:

Former Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson was throwing to wideouts and running backs during the pro day and the zip on his passes was noticeable. Johnson suffered a shoulder injury while in college that took awhile for him to recover from, but Johnson's arm strength and accuracy looked pretty solid to my eyes.

Quarterback Jerrod Johnson, whose eligibility wrapped up two years ago, threw passes to the receivers and showed considerable arm strength, especially in comparison to his last season at A&M, when he struggled with a shoulder injury. Toward the end of Pro Day Johnson was launching 70-yard bombs. The Steelers cut Johnson in training camp last summer.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 pm
  • With further research on Jerrod Johnson, I would be very content if the Seahawks chose not to draft a QB,

It would also be an interesting to see the competition between Quinn, Portis, and Johnson.

Not very often does one get a chance to develop a young and cheap 6'5, 250 pound QB with 4.75 speed plus a 70 yard rocket launcher with a chip on his throwing shoulder the size of Texas from all the adversity he's faced through his hardships and doubters.

He's won me over, and I hope he's totally committed to battle his way onto the roster and do everything in his power to create something for himself out of this opportunity. He's the Anti-JaMarcus Russell.

It also shows again how Schneider refuses to leave no stone unturned to continue to make this team better whether its through competition or opportunity.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:40 pm
  • This could also explain the signing

At 6-5 and 250 pounds, Johnson is a big quarterback with a strong arm who can move. He played under Mike Sherman at Texas A&M, now the offensive coordinator for Miami, so Johnson should be familiar with the West Coast offense.

And with Seattle scheduled to host a rookie minicamp May 10-12, Johnson gives the Seahawks an legitimate camp arm to run the team’s offense during the three-day camp.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:49 pm
  • I was thinking the same thing as drdiags. The Hawks had Wilson and a couple other rookies in for their rookie minicamp last year. Johnson will be one of those camp arms. They may draft a QB but they still need about three guys for the camp. Last year they only had one QB under contract for the camp (RW) with two invitees. It's possible the only way they could have secured his invitation to their camp was through a contract. There were probably other teams that would liked to have brought him in for their rookie camps as well.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 am
  • Or it could be that he is already thanking the 12th man...He has that part down! Some of you way over think things (must be the off season) :snack: not!!!! :stirthepot:

You guys make me laugh! :lol:

Hope the season starts soon.

Like the Johnson as the new #2.

GO Hawks
    lacenterhawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 am
  • People are getting way to over hyped about a guy who may or may not even make the team. Let alone making a big deal out of the 12th Man comment, when the guy played for Texas A&M.
    This is the same front office that made over 200 transactions the first couple years here. They know what they are doing, PC is one hell of a coach and talent evaluator.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:36 am
  • Pick6 wrote:so no Matt Scott then

That's the thought that popped into my head. Maybe they are thinking of converting him to receiver? He's fast enough for it.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:28 am
  • Interesting that he threw quite a few passes to #17 Tannehill in that highlight reel.

"Everyone hath a plan... until they get punthed in the fathe." -- Mike Tython on the 2014 Theattle Theahawkth.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 am
  • Rat wrote:He completed 42% of his passes in the UFL last year. Seems likely that he'll push somebody off the roster, probably Wilson.

LOL, good to see you are in mid-season form already, and it's early, can't wait until training camp starts.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:36 am
  • Sure, this signing isn't a big one. It's not a huge splash free agent signing like some want, but it doesn't have to be. And Johnson doesn't even have to be good enough to compete for the starting job. We don't need him to be.

But it does give us a good group of quarterbacks going into the workups for the season, and indicates we may not have to think about drafting a quarterback this year, allowing us to spend those draft picks on other areas of concern. I really like this move - and the rest of the quarterback moves - for the simple reason of the flexibility it gives the team.

We have ten draft picks, and while most of them are low, that's still a pretty good number of them. And we don't have too many more areas of concern. This is exactly the situation teams want to be in going into the draft. Bringing in Johnson to complete a solid quarterback roster might just allow us the luxury of packaging a few of those lower picks and moving up to another second or third rounder, which I think would be an excellent move.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 am
  • You can never have too many Aggies! :th2thumbs: Gig 'Em!
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:05 am
  • Lets not over-analyze a training camp body until roster cut downs..sheeshhhh. We wont know much of anything until aug. 28th when the roster goes to 75, then we can start worrying about who sucks or who is a diamond in the rough.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:40 am
  • The 3rd page and nobody's used the word "fodder" yet... I couldn't be more proud!!

"Everyone hath a plan... until they get punthed in the fathe." -- Mike Tython on the 2014 Theattle Theahawkth.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:00 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:
    RobBaker7714409 wrote:This guy sucks. Probably just covering our a$$es in case an UDFA they're looking at gets drafted or signs somewhere else this weekend. Bet you $1 he doesn't make it to the initial cutdown to 75.

I too was hoping that these type of posts were over and done with, but I guess that there are some that see themselves as a better talent evaluator than the Seahawks front office boys SMH.
    Speaking frankly now, I'm hoping JJ has a re-awakening, and Wilson shows he and Quinn how to get back in their groove.
    Johnson was an outstanding QB, that didn't get anywhere near the recognition or accolades he justly deserved.

Nothing personal, but you guys might want to lighten up a bit. I saw nowhere in his post where he indicated he is any kind of talent evaluator. Since you both have passed judgement on that post, I'd be curious to know what your opinion is based on.

Personally I think he makes a valid point, Johnson wasn't good in college, couldn't get drafted, couldn't stay on a roster when signed, and was a backup in the UFL. So it wouldn't be surprising if he didn't make the cut to 75.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 am

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:31 am
  • ivotuk wrote:Personally I think he makes a valid point, Johnson wasn't good in college,

I didn't watch him play, but he was apparently a dark horse candidate for the Heisman his junior year, started ahead of Tannehill and put up better numbers his junior year than Tannehill did in his senior year. He injured his shoulder, lost the velocity on his throws and the rest is history. I do agree that there is a huge probability that he's a camp arm and nothing more, but there did actually seem to be a time when he looked like a legitimate pro QB prospect. If the velocity on his ball is back, seems like it's worth taking a look.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 am
  • ivotuk wrote:
    Personally I think he makes a valid point, Johnson wasn't good in college...

He was actually quite good in college. He's currently the Texas A&M career leader in passing yards and total offense, records that Johnny Manziel will probably break. Second-team, All Big-12 in 2009...he went 296 of 497 for 3,579 yds, 30 TDs, and 8 Ints. He also rushed 145 times for 506 yards and eight TDs.

He entered the 2010 season as the Preseason Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year and a rumored Heismann contender. However, he had shoulder surgery before his 2010 season, struggled, was replaced by Ryan Tannehill, went undrafted, and hasn't "rebounded" or latched on to an NFL roster since, although he had stints with the Eagles and Steelers.

Does anybody know if we worked him out prior? (I'm assuming we did.) If his accuracy and delivery/motion have improved, he could be a legitimate contender for the #2.

____________________________________________________________________________
    "When I became a man I put away childish things. Including the desire to be very grown up."
    ~C.S. Lewis
    HagFaithful
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:51 am
  • Johnson threw at this year's A&M pro day work out.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Can't be any worse then Portis, right Throwdown?

How dumb are you gonna feel when Mr. Portis wins the back up job though?

They're both awful.

Brady Quinn stinks too. I still think we draft someone this weekend.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 pm
  • HagFaithful wrote:Does anybody know if we worked him out prior? (I'm assuming we did.) If his accuracy and delivery/motion have improved, he could be a legitimate contender for the #2.

I didn't hear anything about a private workout, so I'm guessing they were impressed with what they saw at the A&M Pro Day.

Like another poster said before, I like this signing because it shows how the FO leaves no stone unturned. It's the equivalent of using your pocket change to buy a scratch lotto ticket or digging a powerball slip out of the trash ... I also really like the strategy of using late-round picks and UDFA's to "buy low" on guys who were standouts early in college but were derailed because of injuries or other forms of bad luck. Even though teams invest so much in scouting it's still possible for those guys to slip through the cracks (and probably more common than we think)

Take Johnson (or any guy in a similar situation) who suffers a lingering injury that can take 1-2 seasons to fully heal ... if it effects your combine & shrine game performances your draft stock will suffer. And if you wind up being a late rounder or UDFA, the road to stick becomes that much tougher. You basically have to prove yourself completely ready that first camp - you don't get the benefit of the doubt or time to develop like 1st-4th round picks. And if you find yourself on the outside after that first year, it's exponentially tougher to get back in because a majority of teams are simply going to write you off and move on to the next crop of rookies.

I just think Johnson is such an intriguing project - age/size/speed/skillset, he's a clone of Ryan Tannehill. He was an intelligent, high character, team leader type of guy and played in a pro-style WCO rooted Mike Sherman offense. In 3 open competitions he stayed ahead of Tannehill on the depth chart, and in his healthy Junior year, with basically the same coaches, system & supporting cast he put up better performances than Tannehill.

But something like a serious or lingering shoulder injury can have devastating results - especially when a guy was still a work in progress anyways. Mechanics fall apart, can't physically make certain throws, confidence & decision making suffers - it can be a swift implosion. But instead of being able to work through it, Johnson got benched while his confidence & mechanics were broken (and probably still injured, too) So now he's on the NFL fringe, while the guy that he was arguably better or at least equal to in college is the 8th overall pick.

I'm burning a lot of works talking about a 4th string camp QB, but honestly Johnson excites me more than any of the back-ups on the roster and most of the late round prospects that were available in this draft. Heck, I really wanted the team to take a flyer on him back in '11 to throw into the T-Jack/Whitehurst mix, so I think it's cool he's now actually on the roster. There's a lot of "if's" in his case - but, IF his arm strength is back and IF his mechanics have made a big leap, then I really think he could be a huge sleeper for us.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Anybody seen this tweet from the 4th string guy?

Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information