Football Outsiders offensive line continuity scores

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You can guess where we rank. This isn't a list of the best or worst offensive lines, it's a list of how cohesive each O-line unit in the NFL is, because there's typically a considerable correlation between how good an O-line is and how much time the same guys on it play together.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra- ... ity-scores

We're 3rd-worst in the league, lol. A revolving door of personnel for our O-line, both this year and last year. Man, it'd be nice to see the same 5 guys there all year long...However, we did actually rank pretty well (3rd in run blocking, 20th in pass pro) considering the changes our O-line went through.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Our pass protection is pretty crappy most of the time, but Russell has the wheels to make it work. I would like to see him get more time in the pocket this season as that is an area on which we can stand to improve greatly.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think its more continuity than talent. And, I think the Hawks line is better at pass protection than they get credit for. Especially when the unit began gelling late last season.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I love watching Wilson scramble, but I sorely wish he didn't have to do it as much; or at least have to resort to it as quickly.

The Outfield

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":169ej8gg said:
I love watching Wilson scramble, but I sorely wish he didn't have to do it as much; or at least have to resort to it as quickly.

Same here. I hope the OL is a primary target in the draft.

pehawk

Reaction score
How much of the "poor line play" is due to the fact the Hawks QB isn't really throwing to spots, more WR's. And, he's instructed, the #1 priority is NOT turning it over. Each takes more time.

I think the pass protection is railed on unnecessarily.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pe, seeing as how Football Outsiders actually counts the time it takes each lineman to get pushed back, or how long until they push their opponent forward, or how long they stay matched up on the same spot, for every snap of every game...I'm gonna say it's fairly accurate.

Our O-line has been a source of frustration for many years, though. If/when we ever get an elite line, we might be a bit behind in recognizing it. *shrug*

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":3gc0fzsl said:
I think its more continuity than talent. And, I think the Hawks line is better at pass protection than they get credit for. Especially when the unit began gelling late last season.
Was it the 6 sacks we gave up vs the Rams, the constant pressure in the Skins game, or the horrendous pass blocking in the first half vs the Falcons that led you to that conclusion?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Come on, Scotte. You can't count bad performances. They just get a bad rap for pass pro from people here because we're all idiots.

:lol:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":jihajyoq said:
The Outfield":jihajyoq said:
Same here. I hope the OL is a primary target in the draft.

I'd be giddy if we took a DT in round 2, and an OL in round 3.

Me too. That would be awesome-- assuming that OLman doesn't turn out like Moffitt

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3sxun20n said:
pehawk":3sxun20n said:
Was it the 6 sacks we gave up vs the Rams, the constant pressure in the Skins game, or the horrendous pass blocking in the first half vs the Falcons that led you to that conclusion?

The Skins blitz, and paid for that pressure. Rams are just good along the line, especially good when the gameplan for the Hawks offense is "don't show anything for the playoffs".

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":13hb29zk said:
Scottemojo":13hb29zk said:
pehawk":13hb29zk said:

The Skins blitz, and paid for that pressure. Rams are just good along the line, especially good when the gameplan for the Hawks offense is "don't show anything for the playoffs".
Breno can't handle Long, our RG situation was a mess. If Russell isn't Russell, that 20th number is closer to 30th, plain and simple.

pehawk

Reaction score
Breno can't handle Long, but I bet it wouldn't be as glaring if the Hawks offense didn't roll into that game with a Thomas Kinkade gameplan.

I thought the line started really getting better towards the end of the year. It could still improve. But, with Pete and Wilson, the plays will always require more time than most.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2inojhby said:
Breno can't handle Long, our RG situation was a mess. If Russell isn't Russell, that 20th number is closer to 30th, plain and simple.
+1

@Pe: They got quite a bit better in run blocking. Pass pro...Marginal improvement at best, maybe. I think it had more to do with Russell improving than our line.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sweezy was still getting blown up in pass protection through the final playoff game. I'm still more comfortable with Moffitt in that spot, even if he gives you a little less in run blocking. I would be interested to see a PFF comparison between the two players.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22jg48a0 said:
Scottemojo":22jg48a0 said:
+1

@Pe: They got quite a bit better in run blocking. Pass pro...Marginal improvement at best, maybe. I think it had more to do with Russell improving than our line.

Roland/ Scotte;

To what extent of improvement do you forsee for Moffitt and Sweezy? I'm kind of holding out hope that we've got enough talent & Bodies at Guard, (Carp, Sweezy, Moffitt & Rishaw) they just needed some time to develop. I've got to beleive that Sweezy will be vastly improved with a year under his belt and an offseason improving his technique. I could see Carp and Sweezy starting and being significant upgrades over the level of guard play in 2012. Which leads me to desire us drafting a tackle to compete with Breno and add depth. What say you? Is guard really that big of a need?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sweezy, I think, has considerable upside. Moffitt, I'm clueless on. I can't read the guy. He has flashes of brilliance, and flashes of "Man, he made Giacomini's bad days look good"; so, I don't know...Also, the way Moffitt jokes around in the M-Rob videos, I love his personality but it's hard not to wonder when he makes comments like "I don't know how I'm in the NFL, I have no skill" if he's serious about his job, or not.

I think Sweezy might well be a long-term starter for us starting this year or next year, though. Just a hunch. You don't switch from DL to OL quickly, and he needs more experience. We'll see what Cable can do with him.

Scotte can answer this better than I can, though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":tjsuf049 said:
Breno can't handle Long, but I bet it wouldn't be as glaring if the Hawks offense didn't roll into that game with a Thomas Kinkade gameplan.

I thought the line started really getting better towards the end of the year. It could still improve. But, with Pete and Wilson, the plays will always require more time than most.

Russell likes to make that first deep read, so yeah, there is something to that. I am more disturbed by the number of bad beats our guys have where they give up pressure in less than 2 seconds.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Okung, Carpenter, Unger, McQuistan, Someone not on the roster. I think that's a line that can do well. They just need to play together for a stretch.

The Moffit/Sweezy carousel makes me want to pull my hair out. Mainly because Moffit IMO is much better than Sweezy and Moffits nothing to write home about.