Article: Michael Bennett back where it all started

drdiags

Reaction score
Nice article posted on .com about Michael Bennett and his view on coming back to the Seahawks.

You’ll have to excuse Michael Bennett if he doesn’t feel like a free-agent addition.

As the versatile defensive lineman who signed with the Seahawks last month views his unique situation, he has returned to his first NFL home and a team he really never wanted to leave.

“It’s nice to be back. I Iove this place and I would love to be a Seahawk for the rest of my life. It’s a beautiful city and my wife likes it here,” Bennett said Tuesday, after participating in an offseason workout session at Virginia Mason Athletic Center with former – and familiar – teammates like defensive end Red Bryant and nose tackle Brandon Mebane.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...-started/ef29df25-c7ee-4960-a451-075ba94d7ee6

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I found these notes interesting:

Now that he’s back, Quinn has even bigger plans for Bennett. He will play end in the base defense, but also slide inside to the three-technique tackle spot in the nickel defense – a spot that was filled last season by Jason Jones, who signed with the Detroit Lions in free agency last month.

“It’s great for a guy to have that kind of position flexibility,” Quinn said. “It’s not only a value to him but our team, too.”

Does this mean he's providing depth behind Red in the base defense or that he supplants him as starter? The report on Bennett is that he's excellent versus the run with the added benefit of being able to get to the passer. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

“It worked out. I got a chance to develop and become a good player,” Bennett said of his time in Tampa. “I’m only going to get better here with Dan Quinn’s help. That’s what I’m really looking forward to, is the teaching part. It’s one of the main reasons I came here – the teaching of Dan Quinn and being able to become a better player.”

I can't even describe how excited I am to see what Quinn does with this line. Such a great hire.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Good find. I'm excited to see how he plays this year. Nice having a guy that can play both the DT and DE position. I hate Ruskell.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
I think the current intent is to use Bennett in the "Jason Jones" role. Too bad Jones couldn't stay healthy, I liked his nasty attitude and he helped Irvin quite a bit.

razor150

Reaction score
drdiags":35xn4al1 said:
Scottemojo":35xn4al1 said:
hmmmmm...No mention of carrying two kickers.

In Ruskell (only me and a few others) Trust

Oh God, I hated that tag even after 2005. That said Ruskell was able to find some gems, problem was too few of them were draft picks.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are going to be unpredictable this season on defense with guys lining up all over the place and switching positions without changing personnel. This should confuse and create mismatches a lot and whiffs on blocking assignments. Aggressive defense gets nasty and trickier.

Throwdown

Reaction score
"I would love to be a Seahawk the rest of my life"

Should've never left, bud!

Seahawksfan425

Reaction score
Throwdown":u4vhxszo said:

Can't tell if you're messing around but Ruskell cut Bennett after a very productive pre-season.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Seahawksfan425":2lszn79c said:
Throwdown":2lszn79c said:

Can't tell if you're messing around but Ruskell cut Bennett after a very productive pre-season.

jesus...

Someone guide his soul, i'm still waking up from the melatonin tablets.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'd love it if he could supplant Red as a base DE so we actually get some pass rush at that spot. Seems like they are committed to the scheme though