Kam on Sirius NFL radio

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Kam on Sirius NFL radio
Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:55 am
  • was listening to the NFL channel and they had Kam on for an interview, talking about his contract.

I don't remember the exact phrasing, but he was asked about how important resigning was in regards to being able to stick with the guys he plays with.

His response was something along that being a big factor, how those guys (the secondary) are like brothers. He said they've already talked about it and want to play together as long as possible, "even if it means giving up a little something".

Hopefully they can all check their egos at the door and stick to that. But if he's serious and they've already talked about this and are already talking about doing what they can to make it work and keep that group together, that's a good sign.

It's naive to sit here and think any players are going to seriously undervalue themselves out of loyalty/friendship. But it's reasonable to think that if you get guys together like we've got, they will at least do what they can to try to work things out here before opting to move on. It seems like if they've already talked about it, their first reaction isn't going to be to bolt to free agency. There is a first time for everything and if these guys are that close, and also feel like they have the best chance to play their best as a group, and think they can win championships here I wouldn't be surprised to see them make their deals work.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Re: Kam on Sirius NFL radio
Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 am
  • What that says to me is the Kam is ok with the idea of potentially restructuring down the road when it comes time for Sherman to get paid.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:08 am
  • I love it!

Wouldn't it REALLY be something if in fact the Seahawks weren't only building one of the best football teams on the field, but also a legendary one off it? I think they are. A place where coaches and front office people are allowed to further pursue their career to it's highest ability. A place where players actually love playing for the team, the city, and it's fans and actually give a "hometown discount." A place where you get rightfully rewarded for working your ass off every day when no one's looking (Kam). A place where the fans can actually say "we" when talking about the team and no one bats an eye and where the fans are very well-knowledge about the game (look no further then .Net for proof)

Sounds like a Utopian sports society, no? Well welcome to the Seattle Seahawks baby!

I've always thought of the possibility of a team's core players one day banning together and agreeing to all take less money for the good of the team. It's probably still just a dream but if it ever happens, it'll be with these guys.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:35 am
  • Thats good to hear, i hope its true and works out that way
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 am
  • I hope it works out that way. Seriously, these guys are all going to get paid a lot.

If Sherman could get 6 years and 80 million, or years and 60 million, and 60 mil helps the team....how much is enough ?

He's a smart dude, and I know he can manage his money. Sure, I get the market value, and getting what you deserve in the market place but seriously...60 million, after taxes, is enough to set up 2 more generations in your family.

Thomas got paid a pretty big contact in his rookie contract. Let's hope he's happy with the money he got and also doesn't try to get top dollar to stay with his team mates.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 am
  • I like hearing that!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 am
  • @Coug: Kam already gave a hometown discount. Goldson got quite a bit more, and he's not as good, IMO. They actually ranked right next to each other on PFF's safety rankings for the 2012 NFL season. Goldson at 20, Chancellor at 21. Now that Chancellor doesn't have the bone spurs, I expect he'll be better.

It's certainly not arguable that Goldson's worth that much more than Chancellor for those that think Goldson's the better safety. Goldson's contract is 40% more than Chancellor's. Ridiculous.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:39 am
  • A lot of what we'll end up talking about is guaranteed money. the up side of guaranteed money is that guys will sign lesser contracts for more guarantee/years

the down side is that if the player rapidly declines or is injured, etc. . that guaranteed money becomes dead money against the cap if you have to make a move at that position with years left. Basically your cab absorbed for 0 on-field value.

the good thing about our team is that we are young, so that makes it easier to throw out guaranteed money. You don't have to worry so much about a player declining after you've promised them their cash. The only player I'd be concerned about giving too much gaurantee too is Browner but he's also the player who will demand the most on the open market. He's also probably the player most grateful to have a job considering the fact that he was in canada for a while and probably wasn't sure he'd see a solid nfl payday.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information