Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • @JasonLaCanfora
    "@AlvinKeels: Kam Chancellor will sign a 4 year extension with the Seattle Seahawks today..." - from Kam's agent
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Still, probably a good move for you guys. Locks him up at todays prices instead of the market when he would have been a FA.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is ging to command.

It's a lot less than Goldson got.

Earl is going to get a big deal. The best safety in the NFL often does.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet4m
    Kam Chancellor's 4-year extension: I'm told it's $28M with $17M guaranteed. Big.

Guessing they'll work it out so he gets a nice bonus now and cap hits are small relative to the overall contract.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Good for Kam. He earned it.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• Market value. Five years if you tack on this year. Worth about $5-6m per in total.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Still, probably a good move for you guys. Locks him up at todays prices instead of the market when he would have been a FA.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is going to command.

I heard Vernon Davis suffered another concusion when he heard the news of the extension. ;)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Market value. Five years if you tack on this year. Worth about $5-6m per in total.

Precisely. This really isn't all that bad when you think about it. It'll probably shake out to more like what Rob's saying here when you factor the guarantees and the base for each year. Good move by the FO tying up one of our key guys long term. I still think Kam is improving, and when we lock up Thomas for 4-5 more years, it'll mean good things for our D.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• If it truly is a 4 year, $28 million extension making him locked up for 5 years, then you can add his current $1.323 million to make it a 5 year 29.323 million deal. I would guess that they gave him a nice little bonus for signing (between 4 and 5 million with a few more bonuses scheduled in his contract. Honestly I think it's a fair deal (market wise) for both Kam and the Seahawks.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I am sure it is a fair deal. FO knows that others are coming up and we don't have much room against the cap right now. Didn't need to resign him but better now than hitting FA etc

I still believe part of the game right now is behind the scenes calculations about the cap change in 2014 after the new TV deal takes place. If you can look guys up now for five years and hit some those years knowing there is a significant increase at that time then good way of dealing with the situation.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Brady Quinn already paying off.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Locked Kam Bam up for the next 5 years, for a decent amount of change taking care of our own I like it.

Go Hawks!!!
    Digsbone
    Alaskas Biggest Seahawks fan.
    Digsbone
    NET Rookie

• Good for Kam. I hope he celebrates by running over a few wide receivers. Every game. For the next 4 years.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Congrats Kam!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Before I say anything about this, I know and appreciate that Schneider is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants GM. Every expenditure he makes fits into a 3 year financial plan.

That said, we just turned Kam Chancellor from a Richard Sherman type asset to a Zach Miller type asset from a money perspective. Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

JS said himself: we can't and won't keep everybody. You gotta pick your spots to lose players, and though I don't think guys like Sidney Rice or Golden Tate are more valuable than Chancellor, IMO they are a lot harder to replace.

If not for Goodell neutering Chancellor with the ridiculous anti-contact rules, I think Chancellor would be such a force that he'd be worth this kind of investment. The player that we saw last year was a mixed bag, though I blame Goodell for that more than Kam.

I guess we'll see how this shakes out. I like Kam and all things being equal wanted him to stay, but only if doing so is smart. Hopefully JS continues to do cap miracles and makes it all work out. I'm guessing we are in for some painful cuts next year, though.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Seaswab wrote:I hope he gave us a hometown discount and sets the tone for the rest of the guys that they should do the same to keep the team together.

because wage increases for ordinary folk raise their standard of living much more than Kam's would be raised by gaining an extra few million
    Last edited by TheRealDTM on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• At least Kam can knock blocks off now and the fines won't hurt nearly as much.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Seems like a fair market deal. It sucks to see our bargain players sign big money deals so that they are no longer a bargain, but that's life in the NFL if you want to keep your guys.

Schneider has it all planned out, so this fits in his budget. Happy Kam got an extension, but I would agree that he would have been lower on my priority list of guys to lock up long term.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Is the 2pm conference going to be streamed by Seahawks.com?
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:Before I say anything about this, I know and appreciate that Schneider is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants GM. Every expenditure he makes fits into a 3 year financial plan.

That said, we just turned Kam Chancellor from a Richard Sherman type asset to a Zach Miller type asset from a money perspective. Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

JS said himself: we can't and won't keep everybody. You gotta pick your spots to lose players, and though I don't think guys like Sidney Rice or Golden Tate are more valuable than Chancellor, IMO they are a lot harder to replace.

If not for Goodell neutering Chancellor with the ridiculous anti-contact rules, I think Chancellor would be such a force that he'd be worth this kind of investment. The player that we saw last year was a mixed bag, though I blame Goodell for that more than Kam.

I guess we'll see how this shakes out. I like Kam and all things being equal wanted him to stay, but only if doing so is smart. Hopefully JS continues to do cap miracles and makes it all work out. I'm guessing we are in for some painful cuts next year, though.

This is just feeding into my terror that this team is going to get gutted to sign Sherman and Wilson. Though that's a couple years off. Maybe you can assauge those fears.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

Like who? Do you really think PC/JS sign offer Kam this extension if they thought it would at all hinder their ability to resign Thomas and Sherman? I look at this deal as a GREAT sign that a viable plan is in place to keep all three in Seattle for at least five years. They wouldn't do this deal if they weren't 100% confident that they could work it out with Thomas and Sherman next.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• When is the money from the new TV deal supposed to kick in and lift the cap?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Good stuff, happy he'll be here for a while.

Pro Bowl Safeties who are 25 don't usually come cheap. It's also a good move showing that - after spending a bunch a money bringing in new guys - that the FO is loyal to their guys and will pay them deservedly.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

• People let's not freak out so much about the cap. We still don't know how it's structured yet. I'm sure he's getting a bonus somewhere in there. if you take the 17 mil. divided by 5 it's 3.4 mil a year. Now bonus' and whatnot can affect this number up or down. and Incentives also can raise it but just on the surface I really don't think his contract is going to hurt us financially. Good job Kam! Go Hawks!
    SeahawkAce
    NET Practice Squad

• GCrow wrote:............ It's also a good move showing that - after spending a bunch a money bringing in new guys - that the FO is loyal to their guys and will pay them deservedly.

Agree. Will have positive ramifications down the road.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seahawksfan425 wrote:Is the 2pm conference going to be streamed by Seahawks.com?

If they do it'll be here http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/live.html
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

• Scottemojo wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

It is less that what Goldson got (which was WAY too much and the reason SF didn't resign him). IMO, Thomas is better than Goldson...so yeah, I'm sure it'll be alot more.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• grizbob wrote:
    Seahawksfan425 wrote:Is the 2pm conference going to be streamed by Seahawks.com?

KIRO usually streams the pressers as well

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Sports Hernia wrote:

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is going to command.

I heard Vernon Davis suffered another concusion when he heard the news of the extension. ;)

Funny.

Somehow I don't think Vernon is worried.

In all seriousness, this is just the first brick to keep all those guys together...similar to what the 49ers are trying to do with their LBs and O-Line.

Good move.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:Before I say anything about this, I know and appreciate that Schneider is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants GM. Every expenditure he makes fits into a 3 year financial plan.

I think this might tip our hand with the draft.. maybe the FO feels that they're much more likely to find a Tate replacement in the draft than a Chancellor one.

And looking at a list of WR's that will be there in rounds 2-4 compared to the safeties.. I can't say I disagree.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

It's near impossible to try to predict what this move does to effect future outcomes.

Like you said, JS does this stuff with a plan. Until something comes up that looks like he was wrong with his plan, I think we got nothing to worry about.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:
    Like who? Do you really think PC/JS sign offer Kam this extension if they thought it would at all hinder their ability to resign Thomas and Sherman? I look at this deal as a GREAT sign that a viable plan is in place to keep all three in Seattle for at least five years. They wouldn't do this deal if they weren't 100% confident that they could work it out with Thomas and Sherman next.

Yea I am pretty shocked at the armchair GMing going on right now. Did you guys all forget all those articles this offseason talking about what a fantastic job JS is doing? I would guess that he has a really solid plan to deal with all these issues and we don't need to worry about it at all yet.

As a side note, I think it was pretty important for the team to send the message that they reward their own homegrown stars, regardless of draft position. Kam was their guy, and has blossomed into a young star. Thats the kind of success they likely really want to reward. Not doing so would send a bad message in my opinion.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:

Thats alot of $$$$$.

It is less that what Goldson got (which was WAY too much and the reason SF didn't resign him). IMO, Thomas is better than Goldson...so yeah, I'm sure it'll be alot more.

I don't think SF was planning to resign Goldson from the get-go with their priorities at re-upping OL and the money they're spending at LB. I don't think the fact that they didn't match means that Goldson got overpaid. Seemed like a reasonable deal for an All-Pro safety. Kam is making a little less, and I'm sure ET will earn a little more.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Another thing to keep in mind, I think Brandon Browner is likely the guy in the secondary that doesn't see a big extension. If he wants to stay, he will likely take less money to do so..

But a guy who will be 29 next year as an RFA.. I don't see BB being around in two seasons.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Kam did a great job last year adjusting to the new rules, bogus flags in the SF game aside.

I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• DavidSeven wrote:I don't think SF was planning to resign Goldson from the get-go with their priorities at re-upping OL and the money they're spending at LB. I don't think the fact that they didn't match means that Goldson got overpaid. Seemed like a reasonable deal for an All-Pro safety. Kam is making a little less, and I'm sure ET will earn a little more.

Well, the REASON they were never planning on paying him what they wanted was because he wanted more than they were willing to pay.

The overpaid part is my personal opinion because I've never really been his biggest fan. Maybe overrated is the better term. Big hitter and great in run support, but too often took bad angles and wasn't great in coverage. He would have been a better SS. Whitner is even worse. I think the Niner safeties were BOTH overrated. Whitner is fantastic in run support, but he's a real liability in coverage.

My hope is that whomever they get in the draft is more of a center fielder than an enforcer.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

Right now I'd say Browner and Tate are the least likely guys to come back. Okung and Thomas are locks to be re-signed IMO. Sherman too.

Of course if they come out and draft a Justin Hunter or something (i.e. a big target) .. maybe it's Rice that is let go and Tate is kept on board for what Rice would be making?

Tough decisions to be sure though.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• kidhawk wrote:
    grizbob wrote:
    Seahawksfan425 wrote:Is the 2pm conference going to be streamed by Seahawks.com?

KIRO usually streams the pressers as well

Weird how .com hasn't announced it yet. What's the link tot he KIRO stream?
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

• .com says the press conference today starts at 3:00pm. It also says there is a press conference on Wednesday at noon.

"Monday's press conference begins at 3:00pm PT and Wednesday's press conference begins at 12:00pm PT"

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/p ... ences.html
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:.com says the press conference today starts at 3:00pm. It also says there is a press conference on Wednesday at noon.

"Monday's press conference begins at 3:00pm PT"

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/p ... ences.html

Do they have a presser before the draft? I forget.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• My first thought was that it was awfully expensive, but in retrospect, it's really not that much, and like someone mentioned, we don't know the details yet.

We've got at least a year before we need to start worrying about other contract extensions, and a lot can happen in that year. I see RW, Okung, Unger, Harvin, Lynch, Thomas as our must have players and they are all signed for reasonable contracts which to me would indicate any extensions would also be reasonable.

I think it will work out in the long run.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

Right now I'd say Browner and Tate are the least likely guys to come back. Okung and Thomas are locks to be re-signed IMO. Sherman too.

Of course if they come out and draft a Justin Hunter or something (i.e. a big target) .. maybe it's Rice that is let go and Tate is kept on board for what Rice would be making?

I think Tate is way more likely to be retained than Rice. Rice will be nearing that third deal, that wrong age of 30. I like where you went with Hunter, though I suspect it won't be that particular player, but I do think they want that big body type to replace Rice soon.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Did our salary cap space suddenly balloon like Kirstie Alley at Golden Corral? Where are we getting all this dough and how are we planning to sign the really, really good players before they hit FA?

Kam would have been about 10th on my list of priorities.
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

I think Tate is way more likely to be retained than Rice. Rice will be nearing that third deal, that wrong age of 30. I like where you went with Hunter, though I suspect it won't be that particular player, but I do think they want that big body type to replace Rice soon.

Hopefully he's already on the roster in the form of Stephen Williams. He's got the frame they might be looking for. I know that Schneider is pretty excited about him. I'd still expect them to draft someone as well. Possibly Hunter like Hasselbeck says.

I love this extension. It sends a message that the Hawks will take care of their own. Kam is very well respected on this football team and is one of the finest examples of "Compete" and "Earn Everything" and all that jazz. When you consider that this is only 4 million dollars more than what Laron Landry made in Indy, it seems about right. In my mind Kam is the better player.

Have some faith guys. I trust this FO to get it right when deciding who stays and who goes on this football team.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

I think it might be worth re-examining how the team views the draft at this stage.

Obviously, the first three years were about collecting talent everywhere. Anyone that could start. But now in 2013, this roster is young but beginning to mature.

You're absolutely right about not being able to pay everyone. So realistically, if we're going to pay these guys -- then the alpha contracts we have are going to have to be relieved. This would mean Rice, Miller, Bryant, Clemons off the top.

I'm not necessarily talking about this year. But as we move to Sherman/Thomas etc next year, one or two of those deals are going to have to come off the books early. To do that, I'd think that Seattle might be viewing those positions as 'positions of need'. Not in the traditional sense of we don't have the spot filled. But in the sense that we *WON'T* have the spot filled.

I've heard it said multiple times, that we have too many picks and not enough roster spots. But I think this signing could be a portent to just the opposite. We need to get the successors to our high value contracts. We could well be drafting for expected 2014 need this week.

And I'd start thinking about what this draft has a lot of. Run stuffing D Linemen, TEs and WRs. It could be we reload at the 1 and 5, as well as take one or maybe two larger #1 WR prospects -- of which there are a few with day 3 grades.

It also makes sense relative to who we've signed. We signed bridge vets to short term deals at positions of need. Most of us have lamented the lack of pass rushing DTs in this draft and it's not inconceivable that Seattle feels the same way. Why force a lesser prospect for today's need, when you can draft a greater prospect for tomorrow's?

Maybe we're not looking at a Joker TE -- since there seems to be a shortage of good prospects for that. Maybe we're looking at a traditional inline guy to compete/succeed Miller.

It does appear, that this draft is ripe with guys that could replace high value contracts for the next year. It also appears that Seattle's plan is to roll off big contracts as others are getting added. In order to do that, Seattle is going to have to draft ahead of expected need.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:

I don't know. Rice is only 2 years older than Tate so I don't know that age will be that big of a factor. They are both still in their mid-20s, so they both still have a few good prime years left. Just depends who they want to give the money to.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Looks like it's starting
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• It was a little weird that they started with Kam holding up his jersey at the beginning.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Confirmed that it's a 4 year extension by Schneider to open the press conference

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information