Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

It feels like a statement deal as much as anything. We promised if you kept working hard we would reward you, and you did, so we keep our end up. Calling him a core player and a leader and one of the leagues most intimidating players.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:28 pm 
NET Veteran

HawkFan72 wrote:
Exactly. I think JS was being honest. At the beginning of the press conference Kam even said they approached him at the end of last year and said they were going to take care of him. This was something that was very deliberate and part of the plan from Day 1 of the offseason.

I especially liked hearing that because you know they've probably made similar assurances to Thomas and Sherman. Now ET/Sherm see their guy getting paid and know this FO sticks to its word. Sends a great message to the stars about this organization.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:37 pm 
NET Veteran

Scottemojo wrote:
It feels like a statement deal as much as anything.

It's not just a statement, it's part of the new Hawk philosophy under the Carroll/Schneider regime. They've said from day one "Doesn't matter who you are, doesn't matter where you were drafted............if you come to our team, bust your ass, compete and excel, we WILL take care of you."

Half the battle in trying to win in the NFL is getting your players to buy into the team's philosophy. Right now PC/JS don't have that problem because of signings like Kam. All players want is a fair opportunity to compete, and oh man is that going on here in Seattle........and it's freaking exciting as hell.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:40 pm 
NET Veteran

Thunderhawk wrote:
Did our salary cap space suddenly balloon like Kirstie Alley at Golden Corral? Where are we getting all this dough and how are we planning to sign the really, really good players before they hit FA?

Kam would have been about 10th on my list of priorities.

There are only a few players that we can restructure right now. We can't touch Wilson or Sherman under the CBA. Okung isn't a FA until 2016. Thomas isn't a FA until 2015. I don't think they are entirely sold on Tate and want to see what he does this year.

They are following a timeline.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
NET Veteran

4 years, 28 million.
So essentially he's contracted for the next 5 years for under 30 million.
Compare with Dashon Goldson contracted for the next 5 years for 42 million

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Scottemojo wrote:
Kam did a great job last year adjusting to the new rules, bogus flags in the SF game aside.

I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

I do think Chancellor seemed to get back to his old ways near the very end of the season, if that's what you mean. On the whole, I thought his 2012 season was disappointing, and was obviously impacted by his hesitancy to make big hits. He was a very different player in 2011 when he was uncorking on everybody.

Hasselbeck wrote:
Right now I'd say Browner and Tate are the least likely guys to come back. Okung and Thomas are locks to be re-signed IMO. Sherman too.

Of course if they come out and draft a Justin Hunter or something (i.e. a big target) .. maybe it's Rice that is let go and Tate is kept on board for what Rice would be making?

Tough decisions to be sure though.

If Browner is even decent next year, he'll be back. He's an RFA.

I wonder about Tate. If he's a #3 WR next year and is splitting reps with Baldwin, it's pretty unlikely he'll finish with good counting stats. His reputation outside Seattle is way below his actual contribution. I could see him languishing in FA and becoming a bargain pickup. If we can get Tate back for say a 3/10 type deal, I'd be shocked if Seattle let him walk.

I think Rice, Miller, and especially Red Bryant are in the crosshairs the most.

Last edited by kearly on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Shop at Amazon.com and support Seahawks.NET
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:54 pm 
NET Veteran

One has to think that Harbaugh's whining to Goodell, about the physical play of our secondary, (thankfully) fell on deaf ears. Kam is our enforcer and this ($$$) re-signing suggests he will not be asked to
deviate from his current technique.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

He still played pretty well considering the bone spurs.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm 
* Gangnameister *

themunn wrote:
4 years, 28 million.

I wonder what it looks like for the incentives. All the "likely to earn" and "not likely to earn" crap.

Regardless, that's a beautiful pay day for a very hard working man. Great story. Congrats Bam Bam.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Largent80 wrote:

Funny that you mention that. The news about his bone spur surgery is just 17 minutes old.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=849823 ... -surgeries

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:57 pm 
* Gangnameister *

kearly wrote:
I wonder about Tate. If he's a #3 WR next year and is splitting reps with Baldwin, it's pretty unlikely he'll finish with good counting stats. His reputation outside Seattle is way below his actual contribution. I could see him languishing in FA and becoming a bargain pickup. If we can get Tate back for say a 3/10 type deal, I'd be shocked if Seattle let him walk.

I don't know about that. Tate's way more of an outside guy. I can't see him splitting reps with Baldwin, who's clearly an inside guy. I can see Baldwin's reps getting eaten up pretty badly by Harvin, but not Tate's. I honestly think Tater's pretty safe. He progressed by leaps and bounds last year. but yeah, I don't see anyone throwing mad cash at him in FA either, so Tate's not going anywhere...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:03 pm 
NET Veteran

kearly wrote:
Largent80 wrote:

Funny that you mention that. The news about his bone spur surgery is just 17 minutes old.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=849823 ... -surgeries

He's talked about it a bit on twitter. He got the surgery back in Feb I believe. Said many times that it was the hardest part of the season, harder than facing any player or team.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:04 pm 
NET Veteran

CANHawk wrote:
kearly wrote:

I don't know about that. Tate's way more of an outside guy. I can't see him splitting reps with Baldwin, who's clearly an inside guy. I can see Baldwin's reps getting eaten up pretty badly by Harvin, but not Tate's. I honestly think Tater's pretty safe. He progressed by leaps and bounds last year.

But Harvin can split out wide, too. So, you could definitely see three receiver sets with Rice, Harvin and Baldwin with Tate on the bench. I think it'll be a fluid thing throughout the season, and I anticipate all four will get decent number of reps.

Don't really see the point of speculating too much who's gone after 2013. Obviously, there are more obvious choices than others right now, but there's a full season of football to play for guys to make a leap and an entire draft class coming in. Pecking order will be dramatically different by this time next year.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:09 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Edit: what DavidSeven said.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm 
NET Veteran

I think some people may be underestimating Kam's importance to our team. Clearly JS and the coaches have a better idea of that than we do. I don't agree with those that say he would be easily replaced. How many 6-3, 230-lb Pro Bowl safeties are out there? He's not the best at what he does, he's the ONLY one who does what he does. Also, from what I've seen (and I've heard coaches make comments about this), Kam is THE leader of our secondary. I also love what he does to our nickel secondary - we can give up a linebacker without actually giving up a linebacker - this is a defense we run more than 60% of the time. I'm salivating thinking about our nickel with our new pass rushers and Antoine Winfield. Kam is also the hardest-hitting DB in the entire league, bar none, and without a doubt that is in the head of every receiver that steps on the field against us. The best thing about this contract is that Kam doesn't have to sweat the fines he gets for hitting people too hard any more.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 pm 
NET Veteran

Also, check out this article for reasons why Kam is worth more than you might think:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19103779/got-a-big-nickel-youll-need-one-to-combat-hybrid-offenses-this-fall

Got a (Big) Nickel? You'll need one to combat hybrid offenses this fall

Quote:
I asked a number of defensive coaches about Big Nickel, when an extra safety is brought in to the game for a front seven player. The first thing I always hear is, "You gotta have the right kind of hybrid safety to do it right." The Big Nickel safety has to be able to play as a linebacker when the offense condenses the set, and of course, he has to match up on a flexed tight end when they spread out the formation.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 pm 
* Report Button *

Let me say the Kam signing proves I'm a know-nothing, DUMMY. I thought for sure he WOULDN'T be signed. That he was the replacable one of the LOB. And, well, once again, I've proven to be clueless.

XOXOXO

RD

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 pm 
* NET Baller *

:)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:31 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

It's alright, Ryan. We're all wrong on occasion, including me.

/huggle

(I think Throwdown might be a bit too gleeful there, though.)

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:31 pm 
NET Veteran

themunn wrote:
4 years, 28 million.

Not a bad contract if you ask me.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:32 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

pehawk wrote:
Let me say the Kam signing proves I'm a know-nothing, DUMMY. I thought for sure he WOULDN'T be signed. That he was the replacable one of the LOB. And, well, once again, I've proven to be clueless.

XOXOXO

RD

Count me in on this line of thought. I know nothing.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm 
* Report Button *

drdiags wrote:
pehawk wrote:

XOXOXO

RD

Count me in on this line of thought. I know nothing.

I'm telling ya, we should do a podcast; "Loon and Curmudgeon Say Wrong Isht about the Hawks".

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm 
NET Veteran

Kam is the hardest hitter Seattle has in the legion. It makes sense to secure the identity Pete and John have worked so hard to build for this team.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

pehawk wrote:

I'm telling ya, we should do a podcast; "Loon and Curmudgeon Say Wrong Isht about the Hawks".

No kidding. I wrote that there was no way the Seahawks sign Winfield, that people were falling for a pipe dream if they thought Harvin was coming here.

I cannot wait to spew even more 100% wrong opinions. Its what I do.

So you can pretty much pencil in Rice and Miller for the team next year, as I call for their demise. Yeah, and Browner is out of here. Thurmond is going to start. Where do I sign up for the podcast?

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:44 pm 
NET Veteran

It is true that financial constraints will keep us from paying everybody we like as much as they want. That would still be the case without this extension; it is the fundamental purpose of the salary cap.

However, remember that we still have two full drafts before the 2014 season begins and we will be adding a lot of new rookies. The draft is the key to sustained success and if we draft well there will be a lot of new (cheap) players that we really like to replace those who we will not be able to afford.

It is easy to be less excited about our current draft because we do not have many short terms needs and we do not have a first round pick. Nevertheless, this draft class will be one of the key factors down the road that influence whether our FO built a team that could compete in a short window or whether they built a team that could compete every year.

Last edited by AgentDib on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:49 pm 
NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest
Lots of good stuff here. A few comments:

- I think Goldson was pretty clearly overpaid. He can be a liability in coverage. Actually, Eric Weddle should have held out as soon as Goldson put ink to paper. That is how much I hate that contract. Of course, Tampa Bay had a really bad secondary last year, and Dominik had lots of cap space, so...

- I think Clemons, Bryant, and Rice are pretty clearly gone after next year (maybe after this year for the first two), and Miller is probably gone as well. The guys who are getting paid are Wilson, Okung, Thomas, and Sherman. Add to that the 6M/yr+ contract of Harvin, and I think the cap is probably in good shape going forward. Well, from what I can tell. We don't have too many contracts valuing over 6-7M a year (and won't) past the next two years unless I forgot one or two contracts/potential contracts, as I well may have.

- How good are Kam's coverage skills? I'm not really sure what the consensus is. I know that he was terrible in our playoff games, but what do we think of him in general?

-Lisa Simpson

Well, at least Lisa got two of three right.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:52 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

2015 the tv deal kicks in and the cap goes way up.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:54 pm 
NET Starter

AgentDib wrote:
Remember that we still have two full drafts before the 2014 season begins. It is true that financial constraints will keep us from paying everybody we like as much as they want, but we will be adding a lot of new players before then. The draft is the key to sustained success and if we draft well there will be a lot of new (cheap) players that we really like to replace those who we will not be able to afford.

It is easy to be less excited about our current draft because we do not have many short terms needs and we do not have a first round pick. Nevertheless, this draft class will be one of the key factors down the road that influence whether our FO built a team that could compete in a short window or whether they built a team that could compete every year.

Every time Agent posts he always seems to hit the nail right on the head. I wish you would post more. Over the next few years it is very likely we will see many fan favorites move on to other teams for more money. Many fans complain that the northwest doesnt get alot of media attention but the flip side success is that other franchises will try to vulture and overpay players that do well here (either because of their talent or because the surrounding talent makes them look better then they are).

Edit: Also im not too worried about the cap, as over the next 3 years i see us droping Miller, Rice, Lynch, and maybe even bryant contract. im excited to see what new talent JC will bring onto the team over the next decade

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:58 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

I found it interesting that Schneider mentioned Earl when talking about extensions and not Sherm when asked about the two of them. I'm more than likely reading waaaay too much into that and Schneider playing close to vest. Interesting none the less.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:59 pm 
USAF BadAss

RolandDeschain wrote:

/huggle

Ahhh geeze Roland...for a second there I thought you said Huggy.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

JS knows what he is doing. After all the other things that he has accomplished, I just tend not to concern myself with cap numbers and all that. No team can keep everyone with this level of talent, but I am certainly going to enjoy the product JS is putting on the field now.

By the time some of the other contracts come due, it is likely there are some we will want to get rid of anyways.

JS is sending a message and KamBam is the perfect guy to deliver that message.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm 
NET Veteran

Smelly McUgly wrote:
- How good are Kam's coverage skills? I'm not really sure what the consensus is. I know that he was terrible in our playoff games, but what do we think of him in general?

Coverage is only one aspect of his game, and he was playing against the GREATEST TIGHT END OF ALL TIME in the playoffs. He's a beast against the run and the team's second best tackler by volume (behind the MLB). As someone mentioned earlier, he acts as an extra LB in our nickel package. He also had an excellent year in pass coverage in 2011. He played more snaps than anyone else on defense in 2012, which speaks to both his value and utility in both defense and special teams.

As of now, it looks like he got about a $6 million/year deal. Strikes me as a very fair deal for all parties involved.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm 
* NET Alumni *

Nice to see this this recognition for Chancellor. He sets the tone they count on. He was their #1 iron man with 1103 snaps. And he did it while playing thru the pain of two bad ankles. Leadership thru setting the example. Terrific signing. It's a great day for the Seahawks. :th2thumbs:

Go Seahawks!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

FortWorthSeahawk wrote:
Ahhh geeze Roland...for a second there I thought you said Huggy.

YECH! No.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 pm 
NET Veteran

After listening to the presser, it seems pretty clear that a lot of fans are just underestimating the desire within this FO to reward their own guys.

Pete made is crystal clear that Kam has done everything right since they drafted him, and that they wanted to reward players like him. This is the example they want to set for their players. Is he replaceable? Maybe if you get lucky and find the right guy, but that's a message that this FO clearly did not want to send. They didn't want to unceremoniously replace a guy that worked his way up from being a 5th round pick to being a team leader and a star. I don't blame them one bit, and it shows that like Kam, this FO is doing things the right way.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 pm 
* NET Moderator *

drdiags wrote:
pehawk wrote:

No kidding. I wrote that there was no way the Seahawks sign Winfield, that people were falling for a pipe dream if they thought Harvin was coming here.

I cannot wait to spew even more 100% wrong opinions. Its what I do.

I'm thinking that its time for you to declare that the Seahawks have no chance in hell at winning the Super Bowl this season.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:06 pm 
* NET Baller *

RolandDeschain wrote:

/huggle

Can never be too gleeful when one of your top 3 favorite player is a lock to stay for long time.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 pm 
NET Veteran

Good for Kam making that paper, pretty reasonable deal. Can't wait to watch him tattoo fools this year!

This FO knows exactly what they're doing, I think we'll be surprised when Thomas III resigns (might not be as big of a hit as some might think...dudes are cap magicians).

Go Hawks.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:23 pm 
NET Veteran

Yup, I whiffed on this too.

I figured Kam was replaceable since we have Winston Guy on the team. The FO was really high on him at the beginning of TC last year, and he played a lot of meaningful snaps in the playoffs.

Glad to see we're taking care of our guys and not being too cutthroat. I'm kinda worried though about Sherman.....I don't think we'll be able to afford him.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:41 pm 
* Report Button *

Missing_Clink wrote:
After listening to the presser, it seems pretty clear that a lot of fans are just underestimating the desire within this FO to reward their own guys.

Pete made is crystal clear that Kam has done everything right since they drafted him, and that they wanted to reward players like him. This is the example they want to set for their players. Is he replaceable? Maybe if you get lucky and find the right guy, but that's a message that this FO clearly did not want to send. They didn't want to unceremoniously replace a guy that worked his way up from being a 5th round pick to being a team leader and a star. I don't blame them one bit, and it shows that like Kam, this FO is doing things the right way.

Totally, and its grand they roll this way. Bleeping great.

Remember when Ruskell yanked the franchise tag from Leroy, the moment Curry was drafted? It felt slimey...and EVERYONE on this site thought it was kosher. Glad we're not there again.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:46 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

CALIHAWK1 wrote:
I found it interesting that Schneider mentioned Earl when talking about extensions and not Sherm when asked about the two of them. I'm more than likely reading waaaay too much into that and Schneider playing close to vest. Interesting none the less.

The team can negotiate with Thomas whenever they want but have to wait until next year to talk to Sherman. I think if Schneider's comments mean anything it's not that Sherm isn't a high priority, it's that they are already talking to Earl.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 pm 
NET Veteran

CALIHAWK1 wrote:

Likely because Thomas comes due for an extension at least a year before Sherman does. He's next up.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:54 pm 
NET Veteran

once this gets updated with kam's new info it should give a good idea of who will be here and who won't.

I was thinking Miller m ight be on his way out over rice, but Miller's contract actually de-escalates unlike Rice' which is only going to get uglier.

We're paying Miller a LOT this year with an 11m cap number but that goes down to 7 and 6 the next two years; still a large number for a TE.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/yearly/

Just in Miller's cap number, and dead money for flynn and leon washington, that's 16m of our cap right there. So next season that's a savings of 9m.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm 
NET Starter

Roger can't wait to fine him.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:50 pm 
NET Veteran

I know it's not the case but the reasonable extensions almost make it seem like JS just laid out a spreadsheet and said, "Kam, I think this is what we can try to do in order to keep you guys together. If you can work with us, maybe we can rack up some rings and you can cash in, in 5 years."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:01 pm 
NET Veteran

Like others have already stated I love that the team rewarded Kam. I don't love that people are thinking his last season was him slacking, it was due to an injury he played through!

I hope he recovers well and plays with even more intensity because how the FO treated him. Go Hawks!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 pm 
NET Veteran

Miller - highest paid TE in the league this year?

http://mobile.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/tight-end/

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:24 pm 
NET Veteran

mikeak wrote:

Key phrase "This year". His contract was structured so he made a large share of his money this year.

His first year with the team he had a three million cap hit.

Zach Miller Cap Hits
2011: 3 Million
2012: 7 Million
2013: 11 Million
2014: 7 Million
2015: 6 million

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:29 pm 
NET Starter

Does Kam make this kind of coin IF he had gone through Free Agency? I highly doubt it. His value probably doesn't translate to teams that don't have an Earl Thomas bizzarro-rangy free safety protecting the back end. If he hits the open market I say he gets about 75% of this deal which Seattle could have matched or slightly beaten. That couple of million dollar difference against the cap might be important down the road.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 pm 
NET Veteran

Basis4day wrote:
mikeak wrote:

Key phrase "This year". His contract was structured so he made a large share of his money this year.

His first year with the team he had a three million cap hit.

Zach Miller Cap Hits
2011: 3 Million
2012: 7 Million
2013: 11 Million
2014: 7 Million
2015: 6 million

to me this just indicates that just about everything pete and john set out to do is going as close to the 'plan' as you can imagine. Two years of rebuilding, take a step forward and find a QB, then go for it all. We are a little ahead of schedule, and got really lucky with the finding a QB thing at the 11th hour since whitehurst and tarvaris obviously weren't the answer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]