Article: Is there another Russell Wilson out there?

drdiags

Reaction score
Another Russell Wilson story by LA Times writer Sam Farmer. Had a couple of notes near the end of the article that I had never heard before, so here you go

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfl-draft-russell-wilson-20130421,0,7213587.story

Then, there was Wilson's habit in practice of double-checking every play call with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell before he ducked back into the huddle.

"He did it so regularly, it seemed to be like he wasn't really getting the flow of the call and it was taking a little bit extra time," Carroll said. "I said, 'Russ, do you realize that you're always asking for a clarification on the call. Do you really need that?' He goes, 'No.' I said, 'Well, it's kind of hindering the fluid process.' He said, 'OK.' And it never happened again.

"The next four or five days we watched him, just to see if he could do it. Didn't happen. So now if he steps out of the huddle for something, he does it because he might need a clarification, he might be correcting a coach, or whatever. The point is, he can fix whatever he needs to fix. That's an extraordinary characteristic for a young guy."

themunn

Reaction score
"Next day, it was like it never happened. Hasn't happened since. He fixes things immediately. As soon as he knows that something needs to be fixed, he fixes it. "

I think Russell Wilson is possibly not the ultimate football player, but the ultimate person.
He is everything people should aspire to be.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hes going to be the greatest player in NFL History. The Jordan and Babe Ruth of the NFL.

chris98251

Reaction score
drdiags":cks630lm said:
Another Russell Wilson story by LA Times writer Sam Farmer. Had a couple of notes near the end of the article that I had never heard before, so here you go

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfl-draft-russell-wilson-20130421,0,7213587.story

Then, there was Wilson's habit in practice of double-checking every play call with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell before he ducked back into the huddle.

"He did it so regularly, it seemed to be like he wasn't really getting the flow of the call and it was taking a little bit extra time," Carroll said. "I said, 'Russ, do you realize that you're always asking for a clarification on the call. Do you really need that?' He goes, 'No.' I said, 'Well, it's kind of hindering the fluid process.' He said, 'OK.' And it never happened again.

"The next four or five days we watched him, just to see if he could do it. Didn't happen. So now if he steps out of the huddle for something, he does it because he might need a clarification, he might be correcting a coach, or whatever. The point is, he can fix whatever he needs to fix. That's an extraordinary characteristic for a young guy."

I find this interesting, especially since he was a rookie.

kearly

Reaction score
Wilson is very special. You think about how rare Tom Brady is, Russell Wilson is even moreso because of all the tools and extremely strong intangibles he possesses. You might not find another QB who compares or exceeds Wilson for a long time, at any pick, much less in the middle rounds.

That said, there are a few QBs that I think are worthy of Wilson comparisons. I know this isn't the draft forum, but the question was brought up. Here are some names I'd drop:

Johnny Manziel: Elite intangibles, plays at a very fast speed mentally and at a high level in general, plus his mobility is even more Fran Tarkenton than Wilson's (though Wilson is faster and on the whole I prefer his style of mobility). Manziel is a short QB, too. Just 6'0". He'll enter the draft in 2014, 2015, or 2016.

Jordan Lynch: Outstanding arm talent, he has Wilson type accuracy, and has Colin Kaepernick mobility and toughness. Natural QB, not just a stellar athlete. Strong intangibles too. Also a short QB. Just 6'0". He'll enter the draft in 2014.

BJ Daniels: Not overly comparable to Wilson, but he has the same height and build as Wilson and has similar mobility, arm talent, touch, and accuracy. A playmaker. Not as developed as a QB, but still, he's an exciting project. He'll be available late in the 2013 draft. 5'11" tall. He is just one of two QBs Seattle has met with this year.

Matt Scott: Nowhere near Wilson's level mentally or in terms of intangibles, but he's got elite level short area mobility and has a rifle arm. When he's on, he's deadly. Even when he's off, he's typically moving the chains. Like Wilson he seems most natural when allowed to scramble and improvise. Fast learner. Will probably go in rounds 2-4 in the 2013 draft. Scott is the other QB that Seattle has met with in 2013.

Ryan Aplin: Small school QB with outstanding numbers, great mobility and a strong, accurate arm. Looks like a complete natural in a point guard role at quarterback. Likely UDFA in 2013.

Ryan Katz: He's got some issues and seems to be a likely NFL flameout, but he's good for a few plays a game that make you double take because you think you're watching Russell Wilson. Likely UDFA in 2013.

hawk45

Reaction score
Thing is, Russell showed that ability to extinguish a bad habit before our very eyes, in a short time frame, all season long.

The early talk was about his passer rating on the road. I think the next game (Detroit maybe?) he was much better.

There was the issue with him escaping the pocket and not looking downfield that Pete mentioned in a presser. Next week, you could see a significant difference in the way Wilson behaved after breaking the pocket.

That's...just flabbergasting. Look, think of guys like even Hasselbeck (whom I love), hell every now and then I'd see him revert to happy feet even when he was at his pro-bowl best. The ability that Russel shows to lock a bad tendency down and then throw away the key is just startling. Shit we waited all year for Tjack to find a secondary receiver, and we've watched entire QB careers waiting for them to break a bad habit and never seen it. Wilson makes it look routine. Like all he needs is to be told something once and he's locked it in.

That HAS to be him killing himself all week to eliminate tendencies like that, and really being just a bit short of obsessed with correcting it. Because it doesn't happen by accident.

SE174

Reaction score
So symbolic is Wilson that he will appear in and voice the open for ESPN's coverage of the first round Thursday night, a round in which the Seahawks don't have a pick. He's the embodiment of the best-case scenario.

Hell yeah!

chris98251

Reaction score
I go with Manziel if that assessment is accurate, you have to have the head and from your write up he does, all the great ones do and can make decisions on the fly and process information quickly.

The Outfield

Reaction score
If you ask a million people to each build a high tech NFL QB robot, none of them are going to do it exactly the same. Thus, there is only one Russell Wilson.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that when Russ needs to change something he just updates his firmware then reboots. Problem solved.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Manziel doesn't have 1/10th the character of Russell Wilson. When you hear stories of Russell pushing coaches or partying uncontrollably, let me know.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Russ has the deep seated, incredible hunger to win and be the best. The only guy I've seen in any sport with that same burning desire is Michael Jordan. God this is gonna be a great ride!!

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The Outfield":cnmyxnkm said:
If you ask a million people to each build a high tech NFL QB robot, none of them are going to do it exactly the same. Thus, there is only one Russell Wilson.
If only we had access to ALL the Cylon technology used to create Wilson, we could make many copies.

Steve2222

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":jcmqxjhp said:
Russ has the deep seated, incredible hunger to win and be the best. The only guy I've seen in any sport with that same burning desire is Michael Jordan. God this is gonna be a great ride!!

We're extremely lucky I must say. The sports gods are making up for giving us the Seattle Mariners, 0-12 Washington Huskies, taking the Sonics away, and Super Bowl XL.

All is forgiven as far as Im concerned.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Steve2222":58rz19m1 said:
hawksfansinceday1":58rz19m1 said:

We're extremely lucky I must say. The sports gods are making up for giving us the Seattle Mariners, 0-12 Washington Huskies, taking the Sonics away, and Super Bowl XL.

All is forgiven as far as Im concerned.
*XL will never be forgiven for me, but once we get a SB win it will sting a LOT less.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
Manziel...aka Johnny Football....it should be illegal to even use him in the same sentence as Russell Wilson.
Manziel is talented, ill give him that. But he is a product of having the best line in the NCAA open HUGE holes that he can get a 1st down almost anytime he thought about running. Gave him all day to throw. When actually challenged, Manziel crumbled. LSU toyed with him and picked him off 5 times in one game when they gave him some real competition.
and he has 0 character. Look at how much controversy his already got in the offseason. Constantly partying and underage drinking. I know he's a college kid. But that is not someone cut out to come close to being the leader Wilson is.