Reaction score
Seahawks will play 5 games at 10 AM East Coast

What do you think about it?

Meh? That's sucks? Bulls#it? Really Nice? Haha

San Francisco 49ers :49ersmall: will play only 2 games 10 AM

---

Brahn

Reaction score
I think it will prove if we are a true contender or not. A real team wins regardless of travel.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Real teams win. It's like the Madden Curse. Easy thing to blame when things go wrong.

nategreat

Reaction score
Yes, a real team wins. But it's still stacking the odds, and BS.

rjdriver

Reaction score
It is statistically proven that the odds of winning are reduced when a west coast team plays at 10am PT. There is a pretty large sample of control that validates this. This is no excuse, it is math. I understand the anecdotes and the rhetoric, but it doesn't change the fact the odds of winning decrease with 10am games.

"Soft" and non contender west coast teams will, on average, have a reduced likelyhood of winning 10AM games.

"Tough" and champion caliber west coast teams will, on average, have a reduced likelyhood of winning 10AM games.

Should we win these games? Yes. Does our chances of winning these games go down by playing at 10am? Yes

I'm not being a crybaby, but face the facts, this is a disadvantage. One I hope we overcome. If something is proven to create an unfair advantage then it should be addressed. Perhaps a rule stating no west coast team can have more than 3 regular season 10AM starts. Perhaps a rule stating the visiting team playing a Thursday game has to stay in the same time zone, things of this nature. They created a de facto rule stating east teams didn't have to travel west more than twice or something, I guess that only applies to big market teams. And yes, I would feel exactly the same way if the Niners had 5 10am starts.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Basis4day":2ujzrom4 said:
Real teams win. It's like the Madden Curse. Easy thing to blame when things go wrong.

Nothing like the Madden curse. The sampling is too small to make a comparison.

There is no Madden Curse. There is a disadvantage to traveling to play a 10am Pacific time game. One we must overcome (and will), but one every other team doesn't have to confront.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I think it totally sucks eggs. Personally, I despise having to give up my Sunday mornings like that and feel it's completely unfair to any fan of teams in the Pacific time zone to have to put up with it when there are still plenty of opportunities for West Coast teams to play in the later games. What's the reason for this? It makes zero logical sense.

sturg78

Reaction score
I never got this problem. It may be really over there but everyone is playing at the same time.not like the sleep schedule will change over night

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's a disadvantage, plain and simple. You can give all the "man up" talk you want, but at the end of the day, these are human beings who respond to time zone shifts the same way other humans do. The numbers back it up. The eyeball test backs it up. They very well may end up winning all five of these games, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a disadvantage e.g. a 14-12 game might have been a 27-6 game with a later start time.

The team didn't get off to a great start in any of their 10am games last year. They go to Toronto for a 1:00pm start and blow out Buffalo in the first half. We've been seeing this happen for YEARS now.

CaboHawk

Reaction score
Bring it! We got Russell Wilson, Percy Harvin, Beast Mode, Oh Yeah and our Defense! Trust me No one wants the Hawks this year.Take that to the bank

AgentDib

Reaction score
The time zone shift matters a lot when traveling east. It's hard to make yourself go to bed three hours earlier than you normally would, and when you wake up at 6 am EST it feels a lot more like 3 am. That affects you both mentally and physically.

On the other hand, look at our 10 am opponents; Panthers, Texans, Colts, Falcons, and Giants. There is a really good chance that at least one of those will be moved to prime time and possibly more depending on how the season goes.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
That white part of chicken shit?, just more chicken shit.
Whoever worked out the scheduling needs to have their asses kicked up to betwixt their shoulder blades.
Setting up FIVE games for mornings at unwelcoming EAST COAST stadiums, should have raised doubts by the NFL, that fair play was given an ounce of consideration, and in fact the opposite is true.
If Goodell has any balls, he'll be getting in the middle of their shit for pulling a blatant bullshit stunt like that.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
The niners are pansies. The Seahawks are for real. This season will prove it. :49ersmall:

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3462lfbg said:
It's a disadvantage, plain and simple. You can give all the "man up" talk you want, but at the end of the day, these are human beings who respond to time zone shifts the same way other humans do. The numbers back it up. The eyeball test backs it up. They very well may end up winning all five of these games, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a disadvantage e.g. a 14-12 game might have been a 27-6 game with a later start time.

The team didn't get off to a great start in any of their 10am games last year. They go to Toronto for a 1:00pm start and blow out Buffalo in the first half. We've been seeing this happen for YEARS now.

Well said.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Let's hope that the Giants are in the playoff hunt and the Week 15 game gets flexed.

kearly

Reaction score
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but six is the MAXIMUM number of 10 am starts that's even possible, as SF and AZ would never be 10am games. The Rams are occasionally at 10am (we get them in prime time this year). All five of our non-division road games are at 10am.

What complete bullshit.

The one that chaps my hide the most is Atlanta. You would think after making Seattle needlessly play Atlanta at 10am in the playoffs (which no doubt impacted the outcome of that game), it seems downright dickish to schedule us at Atlanta for 10am again.

The season opener is awful as well. Carolina was the NFL's hottest team to miss playoffs last year, it's a 10 am start, they played like crap and still almost beat us last year, and the game will be at 1pm Eastern in the Carolina humid summer heat. Plus, it's week one where upsets are the norm. It's almost laughable how much the NFL was unkind to the Seahawks on that one.

Like last year, our opening 8 games are pretty tough. 3 of first 5 are on the road at 10am against dangerous teams. 5 road games in the first 8.

The last 8 are pretty easy though. The 49ers game will be tough but at least it's not on 4 days rest this time. Atlanta wouldn't scare me if it wasn't at 10am. Seattle should handle the Saints and I'm honestly not worried about the Giants. I think the Rams will put up a fight in week 17, but Seattle hasn't lost at home to the Rams since I think the 2004 playoffs, and I don't see that streak ending soon.

AVL

Reaction score
Stop the whining. Just because many "normal" people perform their jobs poorly with a three hour time shift doesn't give excuse to professional athletes who have months to prepare for these situations. I blame Pete for not better preparing the team in early games.

grizbob

Reaction score
It just means I get my fix 3 hours earlier than normal :stirthepot: :3:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I called it in the guess the schedule thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67623

Remembering that the schedulers always try to screw us, certain things can be ruled in and out: We won't play an east coast team away on SNF, only at 10am. We'll play division opponents in such a situation as to give them the best chance to beat us.

I guessed wrong that Houston would be MNF, but I called all the other 10 am games as such. It's so blatantly obvious that it is to be expected. It's a concious decision IMO.

And after our MNF game? We travel TO San Fran with one less day. Just like I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.