Just curious...does being in the NFC still feel weird?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Just curious, because I will always think of ya'll as an AFC West team. I am a child of the 80's so I remember all of those classic games in the Kingdome ya'll had against the likes of Denver, LA/Oakland, San Diego, etc. I remember the heated mid to late 80's matchups between Chuck Knox and Dan Reeves when the Hawks and the Broncos used to go head-to-head for the division. I don't know why, but something about Seattle (the colour scheme, the name, location, etc.) always seemed to fit in the AFC, so it is still weird to see you guys in the NFC. Any of ya'll agree with me on that? I will always think of you guys as an AFC team, kinda like how I still view the Milwaukee Brewers as an American League team. :180670:
    The 46 Defense shall set you free.
    BuddyRyans46
    NET Rookie

• It's slightly weird, but frankly, I think the NFC competition is a LOT more interesting, and much more "storied".

I will never get tired of playing the Packers, the Redskins, the Cowboys, the Giants, the Saints... and the Bears.

Things did perk up right away when we re-entered the NFC with our games with the Rams in the early going. The 49ers rivalry is heating up and could be a really good one if both teams keep pace.

(Don't get me wrong, I will always despise the Broncos and the Raiders, but the passion is gone...)
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• We've made the playoffs 7 out of 11 seasons in the NFC which makes me feel like we were always destined to be an NFC team
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• I was used to it after about 3 seasons.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• For me the move was bittersweet at first, always enjoyed the rivalry with the Raiders and Broncos, but as Elway faded, Shanihan became egotistically self destructive and Al Davis was well on the road to dementia, the Cheifs and us never really had a time where either of us were hated on, did have some great games though, San Diego again never developed anything there either, us jumping in time to take the division away from the Rams was timely. Martz was always stirring up the pot, 49er fans preaching were coming back, Cards well they are the Cards but seemed to provide a good excuse to be better then them every year. Now we have Harbaugh, and Fisher in their place, Cards well they are once again still the Cards and I'm sure will have the occational upset if taken to lightly.

We have dominated the division for the most part since we arrived or returned depending on your point of view, in the AFC West we were the unwanted accidental birth, never taken in as a true rival. Coming in to the NFC as and when we did created instant attention, we were not even close to the best team at that time in the AFC West, but were better then 3 of the 4 teams day one in the NFC west and competitive with the Rams day one. I'm sure as 49er and Cardinal fans thought it was unfair, as Seattle fans we were pretty much thinking this division at the time was ours to take, which we did for about a decade.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• It took awhile. It has taken awhile to grow a rivalry in the NFC but as many times as we have played the Bears in this past few years, along with the Washington club things are picking up. Green Bay hates us, Vikings aren't our buds after poison pilling Hutchinson from the team. I am sure it will get better as time goes along. As long as the team can keep its current talent level strong.

The old AFC West games were good times but the AFL was always like the other league to me, since I grew up in Chicago following the NFL.

It was fun hating on the Raiders, Broncos and Chiefs but it also felt like their rivalry was more against one another since the Seahawks were late arrivals to the party. The NFL reorg was a bad idea at the time to me, but it has come around.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Felt weird for me right up until the 9ers became dominant.

We walked into a division with the Rams on the wane, and I remember thinking over and over that Holmgren's teams would have been crushed in the AFCW every year but 05, and thinking that guys like Erickson were probably pissed, because their near-playoff seasons would have let them keep their jobs in the pathetic NFCW.

Once the Niners ascended, finding myself in the grip of powerful hatred for their team, coach, and (some of their) fans, then it felt like the hate I used to have for Elway or for the Raiduhs. And then I felt like we were home.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• At this point, it feels weird that we were ever in the AFC.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• BuddyRyans46 wrote:I will always think of you guys as an AFC team, kinda like how I still view the Milwaukee Brewers as an American League team. :180670:

I still think of the Milwaukee Brewers as the Seattle Pilots! Grrr Bud Selig... :thfight7:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:
    BuddyRyans46 wrote:I will always think of you guys as an AFC team, kinda like how I still view the Milwaukee Brewers as an American League team. :180670:

I still think of the Milwaukee Brewers as the Seattle Pilots! Grrr Bud Selig... :thfight7:

lol, touche man! touche!!!

On a serious note, I always enjoyed the heated games ya'll had with both the Raiders and the Broncos back in the mid to late 80's! I remember Dan Reeves, John Elway and Co. coming to the Kingdome for a few Sunday and Monday night games, and the place just ERUPTING IN BOOS!!! I miss those days. Does anyone else remember how heated things would sometimes get between the Broncos and the Hawks back in the day? Remember the whole "Boz vs. Horseface" fiasco?! :0190l: :179422:
    BuddyRyans46
    NET Rookie

• The only thing I miss about the AFC is Curt Warner, Steve Largent, Kenny Easley, Cortez Kennedy, Dave Kreig, and Jim Zorn.

Too many bad years to ever get nostalgic about the AFC.

Thank god we weren't in the NFC while Montana was playing, I just couldn't deal with my current 49'ers friends if that were the case.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• I hated the move, just purely hated it. But now think the move was a very good thing. Honestly I think we fit better in the NFC. We are now a smash mouth team. It took awhile. I had season tickets for most of the 80s' just loved the games but it seems the games are more important now.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I'm sorta glad the that's a distant memory. Too many 'coulda, shoulda, woulda,' and just plain ol' bad luck, dissapointing seasons. Do you think we play a little flat in rode games now? I still remember blowouts to the likes of the mediocre-at-best NY Jets. Or how about getting absolutely anihilated at Arrowhead x infinity? We had some exciting games, but rarely made any noise in the post season. Supreme letdowns like..I don't remember if it was in 85 or 86 when we went on an absolute tear in the second half of the season but fell short of the post season by a game. I felt we would have gone all the way had we just made the playoffs that season. We finished 10-6, but it wasn't good enough. Nobody wanted to face us in the post season that year. And of course, none of that momentum translated to the next season. Oh well, very glad to be looking back at Bo Jackson's carreer day at the Kindome, John Elway's bag of tricks, Terrell Davis's cleat marks on our foreheads, Ken Freakin O'brien tourching our secondar..etc, etc, etc. Mediocrity interupted by a few hope-inspiring games and seasons was getting old after 20+ seasons.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• I don't miss the AFCW at all. We always seemed to be on the brink, but couldn't get over. Some of the better years we had were thwarted by Elway and Vance Johnson. Then there was the Christian Okoye ordeal. Thankfully, a guy named Cortez put that "nightmare" behind us in a single Monday night game.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• lol so at least SOME of you guys actually do remember Dan Reeves and Elway's bag of tricks in the Kingdome, eh?
    BuddyRyans46
    NET Rookie

• BuddyRyans46 wrote:lol so at least SOME of you guys actually do remember Dan Reeves and Elway's bag of tricks in the Kingdome, eh?

Was nice getting our first playoff win against those jokers but in the end they got the last laugh.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• It doesnt seem wierd, we've been in the NFC long enough now that it seems like home. But I do wish we had never left the AFC West, and if they moved back to the AFC West next year i would be happy about it.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:It doesnt seem wierd, we've been in the NFC long enough now that it seems like home. But I do wish we had never left the AFC West, and if they moved back to the AFC West next year i would be happy about it.

Not I. We're just now starting to get some good rivalries going with the 9ers and somewhat the Rams (my guess is this one will get good again in a few more years) I don't want to start over again.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• tomahawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:It doesnt seem wierd, we've been in the NFC long enough now that it seems like home. But I do wish we had never left the AFC West, and if they moved back to the AFC West next year i would be happy about it.

Not I. We're just now starting to get some good rivalries going with the 9ers and somewhat the Rams (my guess is this one will get good again in a few more years) I don't want to start over again.

I'm with you tomahawk. I can't think of a scenario that would take us to the AFCW again -- but if it happened, we'd be back in one of the weakest divisions in football again. I'm tired of that schtick.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• I am in the minority. I wish the Hawks were still in the AFC west. It was a slap in the face when the Hawks were move to the NFC. Felt like the NFL said " well, your not good enough to be apart of the AFC west so were giving you a hand up" . It was aweesome to dominate the NFC west but the division was weak. I went to HS in northern CA in the late 80's and was a Seahwaks fan. The Raiders kept beating my hawks and I took alot of crap for this along with the 9ers winning SB's. I would still prefer that the Hawks be in the AFC but kicking the crap out of the 49ers for 8 years helps aleviate the pain of being forced to switch conferences. With Todays Hawks team, the AFC west would be in trouble with the current Hawks team. This is our year. It's never felt this way before, superbowl win or bust.......

Shitsburg can kiss my ass, this is the team they thought / wish they had.
    irocdave
    NET Starter

• It's been as long as the old school uniforms, so most folks are pretty used to it. Been a while after all. Kind of like asking if we'll ever get used to being in the 21st century.

And as we started out in the NFC West, it's really coming full circle, and not just being shunted around.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• What's funny is that I was gonna post this in the other thread you started, but it seem pertinent. I don't really miss the AFC, but yes it is weird in a way, because the Bears of all teams were my NFC team. I've always loved the Bears and how they play and what they are about. I just can't bring myself to root for them the same way I used to with them being in the same conference. I'll always love the Bears and cheer them on when they don't play my Hawks, but there is definately some love lost after our playoff exit against the Bears years back :p

Welcome to .net and nice to have you
    City Of Reign
    NET Rookie

• It felt right playing in Miami last season.

It's only weird that we don't get to play the old AFC West opponents. My dislike for those teams has gone down slightly.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• thanks, guys. I guess that I am just nostalgic for the 1980's, but I miss seeing you guys match up against the Broncos and Raiders. Seattle just always seemed like an AFC sort of city/culture to me, if that makes any sense. I also miss the old uniforms, but I guess that I am in the minority in that one too!

SeahawkSailor, is that avatar a pic of a badass, 'roided up, Zombie Popeye?
    BuddyRyans46
    NET Rookie

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information